Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Sisters

220px-Sisters_(2015_film_poster).png

I'm happy to step in for Victoria to complete this write-up. ❤️  Sisters is a comedy that was released in 2015 and marks the second film collaboration between Tiny Fey and Amy Poehler, after the movie Baby Mama in 2008. Sisters follows the story of two adult sisters: Kate Ellis (Fey), the older sister, who is an irresponsible single mom with a teenage daughter; and Maura Ellis (Poehler), the younger sister, who is a kindhearted nurse and recently divorced.  Kate and Maura's parents are set to sell their childhood home, which takes the sisters back to their old bedroom to clean out their belongings within one weekend. They are very upset to lose all their childhood memories, and the anger of that combined with Maura getting through her divorce + Kate's hotheadness leads the sisters to throw one last wild house party to relive their glory days. Unfortunately, the party begins to get out of control, and may end up with no house left to sell at the end of the night. 

Sisters was released on December 18, 2015, and met with mixed reviews, although the chemistry between the lead actresses has been praised. It grossed $105 million on a production budget of $33 million. It currently holds a 60% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has a 58 Metascore. I'll quote the critics consensus from Rotten Tomatoes to give a little more insight to the movie: "Sisters' sharp blend of pathos and vulgarity, along with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's effervescent chemistry, are more than enough to make up for the handful of laughs this coming-of-age comedy leaves on the table." I am not that familiar with this movie myself and it doesn't really sound like one I'd be interested in, so I am content with Victoria's decision here. :haha: 

Saving: Anna

giphy.gif

A GHOST STORY

A movie that I've heard about but I never took the time to watch it as it's not really up my alley, hence why I am cutting it. Anyway, it is a supernatural movie released in 2017 which stars 

Casey Affleck - not a fan of this human, Rooney Mara, Will Oldham, Sonia Acevedo, Rob Zabrecky, Liz Franke and Kesha - I did not know that she was in a movie #oops. The story revolves around a man who is a musician & his wife - they live in a small house where they hear strange noises which can be alluded that the house is haunted. However, the story takes another turn when Casey Affleck's character passes away in a car accident & he is a ghost covered in the sheet that his body was covered with. He is able to find his way to his house where he is invisible & see his wife grieving his passing - he sees other ghost inside the houses around his. He eventually vanishes at the end of the movie when he is able to read a note left behind by his wife - if I am understanding correctly. 

Anyway, the movie was well received by the critics and it had a small theatrical release. In other words, the movie isn't really a loss in this rankdown.

SAVING: BOMBSHELL - not my first or second or third movie to save from this list but all the other options got cut. 

QUARTET

MV5BMTc2MTI0MzI5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzkzNjQ4OA@@._V1_.jpg

Maybe Quartet is a good movie, but I can't say the premise is one that interests me. The film is about retired opera singers putting on an annual show celebrating the music of Composer Giuseppe Verdi's birthday, but this year the intrusion of Maggie Smith's character disrupts the balance with her diva-like behavior. And not only that, but there is concern that the retirement home may close due to lack of funds; they need to make sure to raise enough money this year. However, the show must go on. Perhaps this could be a funny movie, and the cast does have some strong talent. Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall reunite in this film too. However, I don't think this is a film I would seek out to watch anytime soon. Quartet has a 79% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and the site adds "It's sweet, gentle, and predictable to a fault, but Dustin Hoffman's affectionate direction and the talented cast's amiable charm make Quartet too difficult to resist." Oh yes, this film happens to be Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut too. This seems like a nice film, so sorry to any fans. Out goes Quartet from the rankdown.

And I'll save First Man.

giphy.gif

Midnight in Paris

I didn’t really care which of the these 4 movies was saved/got cut, but since this one is directed by Woody Allen, that makes it as good of an excuse as anything to just send it packing. Also written by Allen, this 2011 film follows a screenwriter on his vacation to Paris with his fiancée and her family, when he starts getting transported to the 1920s each midnight. The film stars Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Adrien Brody, Carla Bruni, Tom Hiddleston, Marion Cotillard, and Michael Sheen. It got critical acclaim upon its release, but since I think I already wrote 100 words, I don’t care anymore.

Save: Rabbit Hole

16 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Midnight in Paris' second worst crime (behind being directed by Woody Allen) is that it's very boring!

Rachel McAdams is the only reason why J wasted my time to watch that movie :haha:

Sorry Angel 

Sorry_Angel.png

Let's get this done with. This movie came out in 2018. It is directed by Christophe Honoré. It is a French romantic drama. I am just sadly surprised it is a French movie that is actually in French. lol Way too many movies set in foreign countries are in English and it drives me a bit crazy. 

This must be a fairly good movie. It won the Louis Delluc Prize in 2018. I have absolutely no idea how prestigious or not that award is. So this could be awkward. 

I just read they synopsis of this and I am now depressed. Damn. I have a hard time of suicide in movies. 

Saving the other one

Cycle 9 ~Partner Up~

tumblr_p0xnymrrTk1snnmfho2_500.gifv

Will I be using Social Network gifs for the rest of the game? Perhaps...You will be once again nominating in pairs! However, there's no twist to screw each other over. You're all going to nominate together and that's it! You also get to choose your partners. Are you willing to expose an alliance or would you rather work with an enemy? The choice if yours. You will nominate 16 films to be cut and the only films off limits are the previous round's nominees.

Whenever you're ready, post your partners here!

@aliasocfan @Steven_ @*Chris @Elliott @Deeee @1234567890 @totes4totes @NGM @.Rei @#jeah