Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (2017)

source.gif

Apparently these movies are quite good? I have never seen them, but I have also never seen the appeal. Maybe I would enjoy them! That gif above looks so ridiculous to me, that I'm not sure that I would tbh. Anyways, this is the third movie from the trilogy reboot of the Planet of the Apes series. It was released in 2017 and stars Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson and Steve Zahn. Three actors I really like! It centers around the confrontation of the Apes and the Humans who hold earth. #TeamApes because humans suck. This movie was made on a hefty $150 million budget but grossed a very impressive $490.7 million, so it more than made up for its large budget. It received a very positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a 94% score.  

Saving: Whistleblower

ITS ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD

I am just waking up now so I’ll update this later to my standards. Anyway, this movie is by Xavier Dolan, one of the best director and screenwriter to come out of Canada in a long time - he’s best known for his Involvement in the Hello music video. For this movie, he managed to be have Marion Cotillard in the movie which probably elevated the status of the movie. The movie was received with mixed reviews - I personally enjoyed the movie as it was different from some of his previous work. But despite the mixed reviews, he was still able to win the Grand Prix at Cannes - when will Xavier Dolan get an academy award nomination? Probably never despite being one of the best director there is.

SSVING: a star is born

Edited by *Chris

Doctor Sleep

I'm in a bit of a rush so I'll update this later like always!

Doctor Sleep is a 2019 Supernatural Horror film that's billed as a sequel/follow-up to The Shining. Based on the Stephen King book Doctor Sleep which was written in 2013 as a sequel to the 1977 Stephen King book The Shining. Anyway, I feel it is a bit of a mistake to try and follow up The Shining (both novel and movie) because Stanley Kubrick's 1980 classic is one of the best horror movies (and just movies in general) of all time and the novel is one of Stephen King's best. It has a good cast, Ewan McGregor plays a grown up Danny Torrance and Rebecca Ferguson the actress plays essentially the main antagonist. In the film Danny (who goes by Dan now since he's an ADULT) must protect a child (played by Kyliegh Curran) from a cult called the True Knot who prey on children to extend their own lifespans. Anyway, the movie is perfectly fine and probably in the Top 50% or so of Stephen King adaptations. But he's had about a million things adapted so I could be wrong. 

Saving: Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again

Immortals (2011 dir. by Tarsem Singh)

ClsV.gif

This game is becoming disastrous very quickly, so I am making a sane decision to cut a movie that should have been removed from this game long ago. Immortals is an action film that is loosely based on the Greek mythologies of Theseus, The Minotaur, and The Titanomachy. As an avid reader of Greek mythology, I can state pretty fairly that this movie sucks. I know this movie is only loosely based, but the movie itself bears little resemblance to actual Greek mythology. The film also wants to be like 300 so bad. LOLOL. Everything from the dark cinematography to the vivid artistry is an attempt to be just like 300, which is a movie I hate but one that is also far superior to Immortals. 

The movie stars Henry Cavill, Stephen Dorff, Luke Evans, Isabel Lucas, Kellan Lutz, Mickey Rourke, Daniel Sharman, Freida Pinto, Joseph Morgan, Peter Stebbings, and more. The film was pretty expensive to make given that it was filmed using 3D technology. The budget is somewhere between $80 million and $120 million, with an additional $35 million going to marketing. The film grossed $226.9 million at the box office, so I guess you can consider it a success. 

The film has a 43% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an average rating of 5.23/10. On Metacritic, the film scores 46/100. Most critics described the movie as a beautiful-looking bad movie, which is exactly what this movie is. This movie should have gone long ago, so I am glad to finally be doing the righteous act.

SAVING: Mandy

Happy Death Day 

Happy_Death_Day_poster.png

This movie was fun. It is a perfectly acceptable pg-13 horror movie. Honestly I usually hate them because people get off screened to death and what is even the point of watching. I digress.  This movie came out in 2017. It uses the Ground Hog Day plot. The main character Tree (just go with it), played fantastically by Jessica Rothe, relives the same day over and over again. Because it is a horror movie, she dies a different way everyday. There is an iconic death scene montage to a Demi Lovato song. It really can't get much better than that. (besides Scream Queens doing on to Backstreet Boys)

It takes some inspiration from Scream in the mystery element. As she is constantly dying, she is trying to figure out her killer. Time starts to run out because she is getting weaker and weaker the more time she dies. (that is lowkey dropped but whatever. It seemed important) I guess we should mention to grows to be a much better person throughout the experience. Character development in a horror movie is extremely rare and we should celebrate it. 

The sequel was very disappointing. This movie wasn't exactly terrifying, but it did plenty of other things right.

Saving It: Chapter 2

Unbroken (2014 dir. by Angelina Jolie)

giphy.gif

LOL at saving a movie made by the Coen Brothers and cutting a movie written partly by the Coen Brothers. But this is a very solid save/cut decision from Victoria. Unbroken is a film both produced and directed by Angelina Jolie, and written by the Coen Brothers, Richard LaGravenese, and William Nicholson. The film is based on the 2010 novel written by Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption. 

The novel and film tell the story of Louis "Louie" Zamperini, a former Olympian and Bombardier, chronicling his life from childhood to death. Major focuses of the story clearly focus on his performance during the 1936 Summer Olympics, where he finished in 8th place during the 5,000 meter race. However, most of the film focuses on his experience during World War II. After a crash landing in the ocean during a search-and-rescue mission, Zamperini survives for 47 days on a raft in the ocean before attracting the attention of a Japanese sailor. He is captured as a prisoner of war, with most of the film showing the horrors and abuse he suffered at the hands of Sgt. Mutsuhiro "The Bird" Watanabe across various POW camps in Japan. The film ends with his release from the camps after the United States occupation of Japan. He returns home safely and the film then plays a slideshow of major events in the real-life Zamperini's life that occurred post-war. 

Jack O'Connell stars in the lead role. The film also features Domhnall Gleeson, Garrett Hedlund, Miyavi, Finn Wittrock, Jai Courtney, Luke Treadaway, and more. Interesting fact, Angelina Jolie only made $1 million for directing the film, which feels icky given what we know men would ask for and make on this same project. Not like she is hurting for the money anyways. The film had a budget of $65 million and earned $163.4 million at the box office. A definite commercial success.

The film was definitely another attempt at Jolie making an awards-darling film, but this movie just sucked in my opinion. The film received mixed reviews upon release, with many feeling like the film had good intentions but was far too cliché to be interesting. O'Connell definitely received praise for his performance, which is probably the strongest part of the film. But he had like zero competition, given the movie was a boring war movie with zero interesting plot lines to follow. The film did manage to snag award nominations though, most notably three Academy Award nominations for Cinematography, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing. Jolie did a good job at directing as well, but I just feel like the movie was never going to be anything greater than boring. 

SAVING: True Grit

THE DANISH GIRL

The_Danish_Girl_(film)_poster.jpg

I was going to wait until I was on my laptop later tonight to do a proper write-up instead of another lackluster one on my phone, but I don’t want to keep people waiting. Anyway, The Danish Girl was released in 2015 and stars Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander. Redmayne plays Lili Elbe, one of the first people to go through sex reassignment surgery. After Elbe’s wife requests Elbe to stand in for a female model for a portrait, this awakens Elbe’s true gender identity. What follows is Elbe’s personal journey and how it affects Elbe’s wife Gerda. The story ends in tragedy as Lili dies due to complications from the surgery. As for reviews of the film, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 67% approval rating and says “The Danish Girl serves as another showcase for Eddie Redmayne's talent—and poignantly explores thought-provoking themes with a beautifully filmed biopic drama.” Although there was praise for the performances of Redmayne and Vikander (Redmayne was nominated for Best Actor and Vikander won Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards) there were criticisms for some historical inaccuracies. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes The Danish Girl from the rankdown.

And I’m saving The Tree of Life.