Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

the Guard 

330px-THEGUARDposter.JPG

This movie came out in 2011. John Michael McDonagh is the director. Wiki classifies it as an Irish buddy cop comedy film. Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle are the stars of the movie. They both received a lot of praise for their performances. Gleeson managed to score a Golden Globe nomination. It made a little over 20 million at Box Office. This does not sound like much, but it is the most successful independent Irish movie of all time. That number is also impressive considering the budget was about 6 million. 

It has a 94% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The average ranking (which is the more relevant, but less talked about number) is at 7.65/10.  On Meta critic, the film has a 78/100 score. That is fairly close to the average ranking. I will go with that being a relatively fair assessment. 

Saving American Honey

THE GREY

The_Grey_Poster.jpg

After the success of Taken, Liam Neeson has had a career revival as an action star. The Grey is an adventure film released in 2012 and tells the tale of oil-men who survive a plane crash in Alaska. In order to stay alive, they must endure the freezing weather and evade a pack of timber wolves stalking them. Liam Neeson’s character is actually a marksman and kills wolves for a living, and the plane happens to crash in the wolves’ territory. So, this is their chance for revenge. And spoiler alert, but the film ends ambiguously; it isn’t clear if Liam Neeson’s character survives or not. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 79% approval rating and says “The Grey is an exciting tale of survival, populated with fleshed-out characters and a surprising philosophical agenda.” However, there was controversy over the portrayal of wolves and how real wolf carcasses were purchased as props. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes The Grey from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Ben is Back.

giphy.gif

ALL IS LOST

Never seen this movie so lets give this writeup my best shot; It was released in 2013 and it is classified as a survival drama, just like 127 Hours featuring James Franco. This movie features one actor only and that actor is Robert Redford - there’s not much dialogue as the movie is essentially about his character that is lost at sea in a boat. The plot of the movie doesn’t really sound appealing to me, and it makes sense why it’s not one that we know much about - it receives a few nominations at the Academy awards but that’s it. At the end of the day, nobody was around to rescue this movie from elimination and it’s out of the rankdown.

SAVING: win win 

BLUE RUIN

I’m doing this write-up on only a few hours of sleep so I’m not going to bother doing a lot of research about this movie as if I ever. Blue Ruin came out in 2013, and based off the poster appears to be some sort of revenge thriller film. How riveting. According to IMDb, Wikipedia and Google, Blue Ruin focuses on an outsider who returns to his childhood hometown to carry out an act of vengeance after the man who murdered his family twenty years earlier is released from prison. It premiered at Cannes and has almost universally positive reviews, so it’s probably better than I assumed it is.

SAVE: Swiss Army Man

Edited by Elliott

Beatriz at Dinner

beatriz1.jpg

Let's just make this easy and move along. Victoria wants this movie out, Dee will respect her wishes, let's cut out the waiting game. Beatriz at Dinner came out in 2017 and stars Salma Hayek as Beatriz, a masseuse who stays for dinner with a client and meets a bunch of racist, rich white people. It's written by Mike White of Survivor fame who is also behind flawless projects like School of Rock and Enlightened, but also has lows like The Emoji Movie. I saw Beatriz at Dinner when it came out. Hayek is the highlight of the film. She delivers a really confident and moving performance. John Lithgow and Connie Britton also give strong performances, though it isn't anything I haven't seen before. I think the movie is too restrained and the plot never really picks up. It touches on various interesting subjects, but never drives any issue fully home. It's a good movie, but not very daring.

Save Damsels in Distress