COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

1 hour ago, RWG said:

Israeli doctor in Italy: We no longer help those over 60
https://m.jpost.com/International/Israeli-doctor-in-Italy-We-no-longer-help-those-over-60-621856/amp

Italy has a higher hospital beds per 1,000 people than the United States and Canada.

Mercifully, the LCBO and The Beer Store have been deemed essential. I've read that health officials worry about people getting creative if you take away their access to legal toxins.

OmG sad about those over 60

2019 Global Health Security Index

The GHS Index is the first comprehensive assessment of global health security capabilities in 195 countries. 

At least 75% of countries receive low scores on globally catastrophic biological risk-related indicators, the greatest vulnerability being oversight of dual-use research.

Top 5 countries:

1. United States 

2. United Kingdom

3. Netherlands 

4. Australia 

5. Canada 

-

9. South Korea

21. Japan

31. Italy 

51. China 

63. Russia 

193. North Korea

Complete ranking:

https://www.ghsindex.org

Edited by TeamAudra

Since we're all speculating every day, how many of you are currently unemployed and looking for work and how long do you think this situation will last where companies are freezing hiring? #milliondollarquestion

Thankfully I'm not out of work, and will likely be going back to work as an "essential researcher" shortly. My pay is also likely to increase substantially. So I guess I'm the opposite of most people.

A hiring freeze I imagine may last a year or so. A lot of small to medium sized companies, if they survive, will be essentially building from the bottom back up. I think even with hiring freezes there may be a lot of people who are temporarily unemployed that will not be brought back once things return to normal. This is very much turning into a likely major, global recession situation. 

Trying not to let my anxiety get the best of me during all of this. Sending love and good vibes to everyone during this time of uncertainty. ❤️

Yesterday, the U.S. had its largest spike in deaths. I'm afraid of what the numbers will be the rest of the week. :( 

People in my town aren't taking the advice too seriously. I just wish we would have a lockdown already before it gets worse. 

Edited by *Laci

2 hours ago, *Laci said:

Trying not to let my anxiety get the best of me during all of this. Sending love and good vibes to everyone during this time of uncertainty. ❤️

Yesterday, the U.S. had its largest spike in deaths. I'm afraid of what the numbers will be the rest of the week. :( 

People in my town aren't taking the advice too seriously. I just wish we would have a lockdown already before it gets worse. 

Seriously. I'm ready for that to happen. 

This is interesting. Previous reports of testing numbers in MN haven’t included those conducted by external labs, such as the Mayo Clinic. This one does. 2.5% have tested positive. It’s still unclear who exactly is getting tested. The more tests the better. I’m not sick, but they can come and test me if they want. 

B4FjlnV.png

Edited by TeamAudra

9 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Thankfully I'm not out of work, and will likely be going back to work as an "essential researcher" shortly. My pay is also likely to increase substantially. So I guess I'm the opposite of most people.

A hiring freeze I imagine may last a year or so. A lot of small to medium sized companies, if they survive, will be essentially building from the bottom back up. I think even with hiring freezes there may be a lot of people who are temporarily unemployed that will not be brought back once things return to normal. This is very much turning into a likely major, global recession situation. 

I was told to plan to work from home for the "foreseeable future," but I expect to get laid off eventually. I get the sense my company's management feels we'll be able to resume normal operations much sooner than we actually will be. I don't think the economy is going to fully return to normal until there's a vaccine--say 14 months--and I bet my company thinks it'll be June or something. This coronavirus was not on our CEO's radar at all until the 13th.

I work in IT. We can release software while working remotely, but my company can only do so much without testing hardware and firmware in the office.

It's not just small and medium businesses, but large companies too. They're the ones who value their margins the most and are already starting layoffs to protect them.

Based on the pattern established in several other countries, I think we’ll peak some time next week. Having said that, the data is rather messy, due to testing inconsistencies. In addition, some states, like New York and Washington, are well ahead of the rest of the country. For example, Louisiana and Florida are now seeing a surge in confirmed cases. We’ll see. 

In each country, there’s an inflection point, where new cases start to accelerate, and peak roughly two weeks later. Our inflection point was around 3/17.

I included Canada, as well. Did they recently accelerate testing, like the US? There’s a lot less data, obviously, but the pattern is similar. 

dlRTL5a.png

TEvhdLy.png

7jYFMGA.png

Diq3IxS.png

z04fMOH.png

Ds4U3JB.png

Edited by TeamAudra

This is a great resource for testing numbers, both nationally and per state.  The numbers are only as accurate as what is reported by the individual states. Until yesterday, my own state had not been including tests that were conducted by external labs. 

National totals: https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/

State by state: https://covidtracking.com/data/

Edited by TeamAudra

Shoutouts to Nebraska and West Virginia in the United States, and Manitoba and New Brunswick in Canada. 

Nunavut in northern Canada has no cases, however it's an extremely desolate place. About 35,000 people spread across a massive, mostly arctic landmass. Not many travelers coming to or from there. They may get through this with no cases.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:24 PM, ATX29 said:

This is a very real thing...there is no denying it.  But a little perspective:  about 3700 people die worldwide everyday in car accidents.  Do you think twice about driving?

This is such a bullsh*t argument. 

1. We don't know how many people could die from this Pandemic. If the death rate is about 1% and we could potentially see over 100 million people in the US affected by the disease based on models without Social Distancing well then more than 1 million people will die from COVID related deaths (of course that fatality % is probably high due to undertesting but the case number that I have is also probably low because of undertesting) . In 2018 there were about 36,560 deaths from car accidents. That's over the course of an entire year. The 1,000,000 number is over the course of less than 4 months. Can you see how we are going to blow past that without measures like social distancing and more extreme measures like lockdowns and extended quarantines?

2. This disease spreads fast. And about 20% of the people tested end up with severe cases that need to be hospitalized. The US does not have that many ICU beds, we know in places like New York that they are already getting overwhelmed. If hospitals are flooded with COVID cases, then how are you supposed to get the ICU bed you need when you have a disastrous car crash. The number of fatalities aren't just going to increase for COVID (like they have in Italy) because of overwhelming the system, but also for more routine disasters as well. Like car accidents.

3. We have a lot of measures to minimize the number of car accidents and car accident fatalities: speed limits, seat belts, only allowed to drive on one side of the highway/street, etc. Imagine all of those measures gone. You start seeing an increase with both minor accidents like fender benders and major accidents like multi-car pile-ups. That's what it's like with COVID right now. We don't have anti-virals, we don't have vaccines, we have nothing except staying inside and away from other people.

4. Imagine now, that you have a car that's prone to an accident and every other car you sit next to in a parking lot or in a traffic jam now becomes prone to accidents. You then see the number of auto accidents rise from ~2000 per week to 50,000 per week. That's what we are dealing with COVID. 

Stop saying the car accident number to  assuage people's worries about COVID. It just does not work. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Shoutouts to Nebraska and West Virginia in the United States, and Manitoba and New Brunswick in Canada. 

Nunavut in northern Canada has no cases, however it's an extremely desolate place. About 35,000 people spread across a massive, mostly arctic landmass. Not many travelers coming to or from there. They may get through this with no cases.

Shoutouts are probably not necessary since those low case numbers are probably from a lot of undertesting. 

If you consider South Korea the ideal (700 tests/100K people) then the only states close to that are:

NY (627)

Washington (450)

Louisiana (387 - ramped up after they saw a surge in cases likely related to Mardi Gras)

New Mexico (371)

- my cutoff was half of 700

Notable, California is only at 196/100K. For a state with twice the population of NY. 

Those states with the lowest number of cases in the map above are:

West Virgina with 61/100K tested

Nebraska with 85/100K tested

The US is shamefully low with 177/100K. 21 states are over that. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/26/us/coronavirus-testing-states.html