Most Wasteful Steals In The History Of The Voice

FloorWax

-Quizz Swanigan (S12)

-Keith Paluso (S15, mainly Kelly's steal that felt more wasted)

--Colton Smith (S15, both Blake and Jennifer wasted their steals here)

-Stephen Marcellus (S13)

-The millions of country men Adam stole just to try and beat Blake with one (imo that's a really poor reason to steal someone, let alone move someone forward)

• Like 1

Season 17 steals would probably be the right answer, but I think the steals were each deserved in their cases.

In terms of people who shouldn't have been stolen at all based on the battle:

S16: Celia Babini (KO - awful), Betsy Ade (KO - loved her overall but that was a mess and she only got stolen because it was the first result)

S15: Anthony Arya (a montaged battle steal. It wasn't very great), Colton Smith (KO - battle steal was worthy, but that KO was a legitimate trainwreck)

S14: Jordyn Simone, Kaleb Lee, Dallas Caroline (battles - Jordyn and Kaleb were okay but not worth stealing imo, I remember thinking Dallas sounded pretty bad)

S13: Stephan Marcellus (battle - Not very good overall)

S12: Quizz Swanigan, Aaliyah Rose (KO - both didn't deserve to move on to the next round)

S11: Jason Warrior (KO - yikes)

S10: Brian Nhira (battle - nope.), Lacy Mandigo (KO - her Zombie was not very good at all)

S9: Can't complain.

S8: Jacob Rummell (battle - this was bad lol), Brian Johnson (KO - he was flat out unnecessary in this competition)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

But did Craig deserve it?

Short answer, no.

Long answer: He had a few performances during lives that I think were among the best of the night, but no way in hell should he have won that season overall. It would've been better off in the long run without him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

But did Craig deserve it?

Yes, but that's irrelevant to the question. A wasteful steal is one that was used on a singer that didn't go very far in the competition and would be better used on a different singer with more potential. Like whoever Blake stole last season instead of Brennan. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Craig definitely deserved to be stolen during his KO, he had one of the better performances that round.

Honestly, I'd say Taylor Phelan was more of a waste even if  he did great in his battle and blind. His KO was pretty pitchy, and the fact that Troy and Toia could have been stolen instead makes it worse.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Honestly, I'd say Taylor Phelan was more of a waste even if  he did great in his battle and blind. His KO was pretty pitchy, and the fact that Troy and Toia could have been stolen instead makes it worse.

Not Taylor's phault that Gwen and Adam picked the wrong winners on those KO's :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

S18: Jon Mullins 

S19: Joseph Soul 

S20: Keegan Ferrell 

S21: Manny Keith 

S22: Honestly, the steals here were fine even if they didn't make it far. But the saves... Probably The Marylinds.

I´d disagree with Jon. He ended up being fodder in KOs, but I think his battle performance was worth a steal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I´d disagree with Jon. He ended up being fodder in KOs, but I think his battle performance was worth a steal.

I thought "Ghost In This House" battle was pretty even

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Not Taylor's phault that Gwen and Adam picked the wrong winners on those KO's :P

True. But let's say Toia and Troy won, you really think Taylor's KO was better and more deserving of a steal than Damien or TJW? If were going just based on their vocal performance during their KO, I'd say no. Idk. Maybe you feel differently? 

Based on overall run up to that point you could make an argument for him, and I'd also say he's a more interesting artist than either.

Actually, looking at the steals of the KO rounds, I'd say sugar Joan's was just as bad too. Ricky was actually pretty good that round, but I'd have still preferred a few over him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

True. But let's say Toia and Troy won, you really think Taylor's KO was better and more deserving of a steal than Damien or TJW? If were going just based on their vocal performance during their KO, I'd say no. Idk. Maybe you feel differently? 

Based on overall run up to that point you could make an argument for him, and I'd also say he's a more interesting artist than either.

Actually, looking at the steals of the KO rounds, I'd say sugar Joan's was just as bad too. Ricky was actually pretty good that round, but I'd have still preferred a few over him.

Except Ricky shouldn't have needed a steal. Pharrell chose Elyjuh twice over the clearly superior performance, imo.

Gwen really said "I think I just won The Voice" re: getting Ricky on her team, only to drop him for Ryan Sill???

OT: Most of the battle steals in S9 were misused. Bad decisions everywhere. Most egregious were Manny Cabo and Krista Hughes going home, they should've stayed over any of the steals except maybe Regina.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, Someone648 said:

Season 17 steals would probably be the right answer, but I think the steals were each deserved in their cases.

In terms of people who shouldn't have been stolen at all based on the battle:

S16: Celia Babini (KO - awful), Betsy Ade (KO - loved her overall but that was a mess and she only got stolen because it was the first result)

S15: Anthony Arya (a montaged battle steal. It wasn't very great), Colton Smith (KO - battle steal was worthy, but that KO was a legitimate trainwreck)

S14: Jordyn Simone, Kaleb Lee, Dallas Caroline (battles - Jordyn and Kaleb were okay but not worth stealing imo, I remember thinking Dallas sounded pretty bad)

S13: Stephan Marcellus (battle - Not very good overall)

S12: Quizz Swanigan, Aaliyah Rose (KO - both didn't deserve to move on to the next round)

S11: Jason Warrior (KO - yikes)

S10: Brian Nhira (battle - nope.), Lacy Mandigo (KO - her Zombie was not very good at all)

S9: Can't complain.

S8: Jacob Rummell (battle - this was bad lol), Brian Johnson (KO - he was flat out unnecessary in this competition)

Oh hello comment from 3 years ago.

I'll put down everything from that point on :haha:

S18: CammWess (Battle) - That song was a terrible pick for both contestants. CammWess more than made up for it in his KO, but at the time, it definitely seemed like such a waste of a steal when there were so many other more deserving contestants that went home in their battle.

S19: Julia Cooper (Battle Save) - Grating tone that didn't work with John. I understand it was hard to pair John Holiday, but this wasn't successful enough to warrant a save imo. Would've rather seen it go to Rio Souma or Olivia Reyes.

Ben Allen (KO) - This was a mess. No reason Gwen should've used the steal here. All for a "country moment". Hurts more when noting that the sources said that she said she would've saved her steal for Marisa as well had she known that she would be available.

S20: Keegan Ferrell (Battle) - Weird battle, not bad but not worthy of a steal.

Carolina Rial (Battle) - Just a bad song pick for John in general. They didn't make it work and I don't think it justified Carolina's save.

Andrew Marshall (Battle) - I say this only because he should've rightfully won and it sounds like everyone agreed on the panel agreed. Nick only picked based off of Raine's blind.

S21: Don't really have any complaints, but I do think there were stronger save options than Hailey Mia for that round alone. Wouldn't exactly call her steal a waste/undeserving though.

S22: The Marilynds (Battle) - Not bad, but not very great either. Just frustrating that Lana Love, Dia Malai, and David Andrew all went home because he decided to use his save so early.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Except Ricky shouldn't have needed a steal. Pharrell chose Elyjuh twice over the clearly superior performance, imo.

Gwen really said "I think I just won The Voice" re: getting Ricky on her team, only to drop him for Ryan Sill???

OT: Most of the battle steals in S9 were misused. Bad decisions everywhere. Most egregious were Manny Cabo and Krista Hughes going home, they should've stayed over any of the steals except maybe Regina.

I just checked Wikipedia to see which were the steals, and yes, except that i think Morgan actually should have won her battle, and as much i hate to admit it, Chance deserved to be stolen (but sorry, i just can't stand any of his other performances. And yet Adam decided to waste his wilcard on him and make me listen to him another freaking round 😩)  

Ivonne and Riley stepped up in their Knockouts, tho. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I just checked Wikipedia to see which were the steals, and yes, except that i think Morgan actually should have won her battle, and as much i hate to admit it, Chance deserved to be stolen (but sorry, i just can't stand any of his other performances. And yet Adam decided to waste his wilcard on him and make me listen to him another freaking round 😩)  

Ivonne and Riley stepped up in their Knockouts, tho. 

I don't remember either particularly well, but I'd probably agree. Since I don't remember, it usually indicates that neither battle impressed me that much lol. 

On Morgan vs. Emily, I do recall thinking Emily wasn't that great pre-lives. In the Garden kinda got my attention, but it wasn't until Why Not Me that I saw her as a main contender, still one of my favorite country performances on the show.

Chance/A&A, I think it was nice and wasn't particularly mad Chance got stolen although there were still better options. I could be underrating that battle since WYWG is one of my favorite songs and it probably didn't compare to the original.

Edited by nytsch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

If you want me to be 100% honest, i was just freaking obssesed with Taylor Phelan at the time. I was absolutely obssesed with his audition and loved his battle as well. So, there is a lot of bias from my part, i'm not gonna deny it. That Playoffs results night when he was eliminated was, at the moment, for me, one of the most painful moments watching the show, because i was genuinely expecting him to make it farther. (I didn't knew well how the show or the audience worked at the time lol). Thankfully, Matt stepped up and managed to save the whole season for me, all by himself, because i didn't care for anyone else on the Top 12. 

But, looking back at his knockout, yeah, it probably didn't deserve the triple steal, but i can see why he got it based on his body of work (which is probably not very fair for some people, but y'all know our dear coaches). Anyway, i still enjoyed the performance a lot. And i'll always like him better than Luke, sorry :ph34rwave:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nytsch said:

On Morgan vs. Emily, I do recall thinking Emily wasn't that great pre-lives. In the Garden kinda got my attention, but it wasn't until Why Not Me that I saw her as a main contender, still one of my favorite country performances on the show.

In long term, i can't fault Blake for picking Emily, since she is a teenager and he probably wanted to pull a Danielle Bradbery with her, and he was VERY close to achieve it. So, Blake knew what he was doing, but if we are going by who was genuinely better in that battle, it was Morgan, hands down.

• Like 1

Jay Allen, because you know that Blake was content just letting Gwen save him, and only pressed his button for s**ts and giggles.  He seemed legitimately shocked (and not entirely in a good way) when he chose him instead.  He had to have had other, better options in mind for his steal and didn't expect Jay to choose him.

• Like 1