America's Got Talent

istersay

I really wish they weren't waiting to announce the winner of the Wildcard until Tuesday, I got my ticket to the taping anyway. After monitoring the Twitter voting fairly frequently during the voting period I feel like there's a pretty good chance Storm will win. I did observe that she had a lot of votes that were in the incorrect format or using the wrong Twitter handle though. Some local TV news coverage for Mike Goodwin also seemed to fuel a late surge by his supporters as well. Patrick Kun also looked like he got a lot of votes. It really looks like a three horse race between them.

All I really want from Storm's run on the show is for her to have one more opportunity to sing on national television and perform one of her original songs. She mentioned in an interview last week that that was something she would be able to do on the show. While Storm is really talented bringing cover songs to life what brings her talent to another level for me is her songwriting. The particular song I think America needs to hear right now is called, "Stand Up For Me." The song originally came about because Storm was asked to write a song in support of marriage equality. Since there were so many love songs already out there Storm was looking for something original. She thought of how humanity asks so much of love so she thought if you could ask love what it wanted from humanity what would love say, the lyrics are what she imagined the answer would be. One of the most powerful, beautiful moments I've experienced was when Storm sang this song as an encore after her performance with the L.A. Chamber Orchestra back in late January of 2017. One by one the audience members stood up to represent standing up for love. A few months down the line I got to ask Storm about the audience standing up during that song and she told me it was occurring more and more and it made her cry every time.

Here's Stand Up for Me in it's original form with Storm's band Le Bonhuer:

Here's the orchestral version with the L.A. Chamber Orchestra and Hudson Shad. This was the night after the performance I mentioned above:

We aren't ready for Brooke's slayage tomorrow.

This song choice will be key to if she can get the votes she had gotten, four years ago. Of course the performance as well, but song choice is like 80% of the battle.

Also Storm better win that wildcard, people already founds clues that she likely received it but I don't trust even Twitter voters, until they prove otherwise.

I think Brooke will also have an advantage to being the only solo vocalist(aside from Storm if she won the wildcard) that is likeable and actually had a great audition(Anica is fodder lmao) 

Ok when the band started playing I was like lost cause nooo girl. And I was very worried once she started but she came out there and did impressive notes and I was so happy and I’m glad that the judges loved it so that is a bonus right there. I will definitely vote for her no doubt. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thevoicefan12 said:

I didn’t like storm song choice so wasn’t really feeling it. Favorite besides Brooke was the horror magician. Wasn’t a great night but hope Brooke goes on. 

she needed something more dynamic maybe, hope she makes it. 

• Like 1

On my thoughts for Brooke moving on. I think she can, but if she wants to head to the Finale, she needs a Minivan song like her Top 10/Top 8/Top 4 Cover on The Voice.

"Amazing Grace" "Faithfully" "O' Holy Night" like songs and she can get a ticket. Billie won't do it another time.

Storm had the better song choice, but her performance was lacking. I'm just going to guess she couldn't pick the song or arrangement because she's more than just a ballad singer. She's a hardcore Alto vocalist with a big edge. she could have done better like in her Wildcard performance. I think she can move on too.

• Like 1

Brooke did amazing! Her vocals were flawless and her stage presence was extraordinary. Such star quality! I do think she should pick a better song moving forward, we all know minivan isn't a fan of such songs. Hopefully she picks a song that resonates with voters.

I'm also glad Storm won the Wildcard. While tonight wasn't Storm's best performance, I do believe she deserves to advance. She has so much more to offer, the right song choice and arrangement will be key, so Storm should be able to deliver a moment next time.

• Like 2

I think the format is 5 or 6 PVs right? I don't know much on AGT, I casually watch it tbh. But Brooke should get more than enough to get at least beat half of the acts in votes. Storm may need their version of the "Instant Save" 

Great job to both ladies though, powerful and daring for sure. Unlike some of these singers-

what i have noticed with brooke's song choices this time around is she is picking more current/poppy song choices. on the voice she did bob dylan, aretha franklin, james brown, and journey. and even the current song choices she did stone cold, praying, and what about us, they were more ballads. i think this time around she is trying to show her as how she would be as a artist if she was like on the pop scene, seeing as she chose lizzo and billie eilish. i think this is a good choice as this differs her runs and her goal as an artist at that time. pov would be a good choice for semis off the top of my head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thevoicefan12 said:

what i have noticed with brooke's song choices this time around is she is picking more current/poppy song choices. on the voice she did bob dylan, aretha franklin, james brown, and journey. and even the current song choices she did stone cold, praying, and what about us, they were more ballads. i think this time around she is trying to show her as how she would be as a artist if she was like on the pop scene, seeing as she chose lizzo and billie eilish. i think this is a good choice as this differs her runs and her goal as an artist at that time. pov would be a good choice for semis off the top of my head.

I understand Brooke has changed since The Voice. But she won't make Finale with those songs. I have been looking at her FB stats as well, she could be in danger if the casuals didn't accept her last night.

I like her original music that she's been creating, but if she wants to last on the show, she needs to pick songs like on The Voice(Top 10, Top 8, Top 4 preferably)

To say I was disappointed  with the reception Storm got from the majority of the the judges would be an understatement for sure. It seems their main criticism of her was it's not what I was expecting so I didn't like it. I haven't really watched this show until this season, but it seems like this particular judging panel does seem to want to pigeonhole certain contestants. What bothers me about that is, this is supposed to be a competition where the prize is a headlining show in Las Vegas. That would imply that the winner would have to be capable of putting together an entertaining show that lasts at least 1.5 hours right? In my opinion it's impossible to put on a show for that long doing very similar things the entire time. Storm's strength is her versatility she can be completely haunting one minute, hilarious the next, break your heart into a million pieces with her vulnerability, and then seduce you. It's kind of unbelievable that that can be contained in one person, but it all adds up to a wild ride that you're sad to see end once the final encore is sung.

I feel like Simon gave Storm a very difficult assignment because he wants her to show some edge, but the show she's on is a PG show. Storm has edge for days, but there's jus so many things that she does that are brilliant in her own shows, but are too much for a network television show. For example her interpretation of Hopelessly Devoted from Grease also highlights the unhealthy obsessive lyrics similar to I've Got You Under My Skin, but it goes a lot further with references to violence and torture in it.

I love this arrangement of N.I.B., but the song is written from the perspective of the devil, so you know probably not family friendly.

When I found out Storm was going to be on this show I knew she would most likely be one of the most talented acts on the show, but I really was not expecting her to win in spite of that. I know she doesn't fit the mold of what people expect of winners of this show and that's okay. I really hope Storm advances to the next week because I do think her performance this week was deserving of that. I know she expressed the desire to perform an original on the show so I think she should just do that in the semifinal since I'm really unsure of what she could do to satisfy other people at this point and it's not really worth bending herself into knots to do it. The only thing is most of her more recent originals that she does live are ballads. 

The song that comes to mind that has an edge to it and was written by her and could (marginally) be acceptable on this show is Beautiful. In case it wasn't obvious the girl in the song is Storm. My only reservation about her doing this one is it's been decades since she's included it in her set list on a regular basis, but it perfectly sums up her story.

These songs are originals that she puts in most of her setlists:

This one is on her album Le Bonheur:

This one is unreleased, but her fans have been after her forever to put out a recording of it.