Disney Movies Rankdown - Part II

Steven_

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the write-ups, Dee! I've added them in with the others, although I did have to remove one of your gifs for The Fox and the Hound due to IDF's image limit per post. I don't think I'll be able to add in your Mary Poppins write-up when you post it, so I'll just copy and paste it underneath in a separate post. :lol:

26. BAMBI (1942)
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Denise - 6/30
Wallace - 11/30
Elliott - 20/30
Dee - 22/30
Victoria - 22/30
Diana - 24/30
Chris - 26/30
Public - 27/30

DENISE
Bambi

IPB ImageIPB Image

Bambi tells the story of a group of forest animals, specifically Bambi, of course. :teehee: He is a fawn set to take over as Great Prince of the Forest, a title that is currently held by his father. As Bambi grows up, he makes friends with the bunny rabbit, THUMPER, who helps him learn to walk and talk. omg Thumper is one of my favorite characters ever! :wub: I just adore him and get to have my fangirl moment now! :wub: I've loved Thumper as long as I can remember. He's just so cute and funny... and of course, his thumping is adorable! :wub: "I'm thumping... that's why they call me Thumper!" :wub: He keeps getting in trouble by his mother too. :giggle: And of course we get the iconic, and oh so true quote...

IPB Image

Wise words from young Thumper. He also teaches Bambi about flowers, which is another one of my favorite parts.

IPB ImageIPB Image

This scene is where we meet the adorable skunk, we call Flower. :teehee: I love her too! She's so cute and happy for Bambi to call her by that name. :haha:

IPB Image

Bambi also meets a fellow fawn, Faline, who will become his love interest later on. The movie basically follows along on his adventures with the other animals, including a standout part for me when him and Thumper play in the snow and on the ice.

IPB ImageIPB Image

:wub::wub: It's all so cute and I can't resist posting video.

gSh1eLrxiqs

"Kinda wobbly, aren't ya?" :giggle: <3 My Thumper! :wub:

IPB Image

I also love how Flower is off hibernating during all this and when Bambi and Thumper approach her, she's just so cute. :haha:

IPB Image

:wub:

There is danger in the forest though as man comes hunting and the animals have to run to safety. :( However, one time Bambi's mother doesn't make it out and is killed. :'( :bye2: Ugh, it is so tragic and sad. The part where Bambi is running around looking for her just BREAKS me. :broken: So so awful. Nobody deserves that. Sigh. I have such a rant I could get into, but don't think this is the time or place for it. I am just very sad about this moment. :broken:

Following that horrible tragedy, we see Bambi and friends enter into adulthood and the stage of "twitterpation." :giggle: They all meet their future love interests. :wub: How sweet. Thumper and Miss Bunny are so cute! :wub:

IPB Image

I love her too. She's precious. <3

IPB ImageIPB Image

Yes, Miss Bunny. I can relate.

However, Bambi has to put up a fight for his girl, Faline, as another deer named Ronno is also interested in her. :ermm: Bambi defeats him, although is soon separated from Faline again due to more hunters. Ugh. Their campfire sets the forest on fire, which sends all the animals out to a riverbank. Thankfully, it is all good from there and Faline has Bambi's babies while he becomes the Great Prince of the Forest.

This is a classic Disney movie and one I loved since childhood. My great love of it mostly stems from the characters, especially Thumper of course, and all the cute little, happy moments in the movie. These animals are darlings and should be protected at all costs. <3

IPB Image

WALLACE
Bambi (1942)
Aww Bambi is such an iconic classic film… and of course we all know that. I feel a little, okay a lot bad, bad that it misses out my Top 10 ranking and I am ranking it at #11. I am fine with it now but could regret it later on, possibly. Bambi was released on August 1942 and grossed $267.4 million in the box office.

Bambi is about a mule deer named Bambi, his parents, his friends and it discusses and showcases his childhood and all the lessons he learns. Bambi’s father is known as The Great Prince of the Forest and Bambi must go through a whole process of eventually becoming that himself. Bambi is very connected and attached to his mother as she means everything to him. He makes great and close friends with an energetic rabbit named Thumper who helps him to walk and speak. He also makes friends with a skunk named Flower and female fawn named Faline. He asks them money questions about the world and they help answer his questions as best as they can.

Here his a trailer of the very adorable film.
nLvX-erABqY

ELLIOTT
20. Bambi (1942)
Animated Walt Disney movie made pre-1970s, so I'm just going to assume it's probably got some racist undertone to it.

DEE

VICTORIA
Bambi

IPB Image

If I were being 100% honest about this film and my ranking it would truthfully place at number 30 but I had to make some strategic placements to ensure certain films didn't overtake this rankdown. I'm sure I failed in some regard but I had to try. I've always have found Bambi so boring. :yawn: I haven't watched it in a long time but I remember it being such a chore to watch and it felt like time took forever for the film to end. The most interesting part and most impactful part of the film happens halfway in the film where Bambi's mother dies. I'm not going to lie that part was sad and if you think about it Bambi did it first than The Lion King in regards to the parent dying but The Lion King just did it better. I should probably watch Bambi again now that I have Disney+ and I would probably appreciate more as an adult especially with an adult who has lost a parent. :( Okay, no more sad stuff let's get this write-up on the road.

Bambi is a 1942 American animated film directed by David Hand and produced by Walt Disney. The film like most Disney films was based on a book. That book the 1923 book Bambi, a Life in the Woods by Austrian author Felix Salten. The movie follows Bambi, a fawn who is birth by a doe. Bambi one day take over the position of Great Prince of the Forest. See? It's like The Lion King. :giggle: Bambi's father is the current Great Prince of the Forest. Bambi does not know that the The Great Prince is his father. In this film "man" is the villian as he tries to kill the deer but The Great Prince leads them to safety. During Bambi's first winter, mother is shot and killed by the "man" leaving him alone. The Great Prince takes pity on him and takes him him and reveals that he is his father. Bambi grows up to be a stag. He falls in love with a doe named Faline. Bambi fights another stag named Ronno for her affection and wins. There is a fire that starts in the forest that is started by you guess it, the "man". Bambi is warned by his father that "man" has returned with more hunters. They manage to escape from the "man" and Bambi fights off the hunter dogs from attacking Faline. In the end, Bambi, his father, Faline and all the other forest animals flee to safety. The following spring, Faline gives birth to twins under Bambi's watchful eye as the new Great Prince of the Forest.

You may be thinking "Victoria, you left two important characters out of your write-up." I did that on purpose because I wanted to talk about them more in detail. Since Bambi isn't know for it's songs, I mean it has some but who really can name or remember them? I can't. Since it's not known for it's songs I want to to about my favorite characters in the film and the scenes that have them in it: Flower and Thumper. Flower is a stunk and Thumper is a rabbit and they are Bambi's best friends growing up. Like Timon and Pumbaa to Simba. :giggle: Here are some scenes with the scene stealers themselves.

gSh1eLrxiqs
Thumper teaching Bambi how to walk on the ice is one of my favorite scenes of this movie.

iNxdohDAWhY
”I’M THUMPING! THAT'S WHY THEY CALL ME THUMPER!”

MaWnvvrngyQ
Thumper teaching Bambi how to walk and talk is always great. :haha:

54sZ8TFFAmY
"You can call me Flower if you want to." :"> I LOVE THIS SCENE. :dead:

7sCqMEkgLIw
I had to include the scene where Bambi's mom dies. :broken:

The film was released by RKO Radio Pictures on August 13, 1942 and is the fifth Disney animated feature film. The film received three Academy Award nominations including Best Sound (Sam Slyfield), Best Song (for "Love Is a Song" sung by Donald Novis) and Original Music Score. In 2008, the American Film Institute presented a list of its "10 Top 10"—the best ten films in each of ten classic American film genres and after polling over 1,500 people from the creative community, Bambi placed third in animation. I don't necessarily agree with that but that's still a nice achievement for the film. In 2011 , the film was added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress which is a great honor for a motion picture. The movie cost $858,000 to make and made $267.4 million at the box office. There is conflicting reports regarding the box office as one article states "Bambi lost money at the box office for its first release; out of its $1.7 million budget, it only grossed back $1.64 million. However, by January 1943, Variety estimated the film to have garnered $1.5 million in domestic rentals." I don't know what is true here. Anyway, Bambi opened to mixed reviews but today is regarded as a classic. The film has a 90$ approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't expect to write so much for a film I don't love and found boring as a child but maybe I need to give it another try because there are parts I love about the film. The film did spawn a sequel entitled Bambi II that was released in 2006. I'm sure a live-action version will be coming soon to theaters or Disney+. :giggle:

DIANA
24. Bambi
Never ever enjoyed this one and I don’t think it belongs here at all

CHRIS
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

In 1942, the public were introduced to Bambi and his friends (Thumper and Flower) when Walt Disney produced the animated movie inspired by “Bambi, a life in the wood”. And it’s fair to say that its release was a success for Disney, notably when it came to their score… But with that said, Bambi as a Disney classic doesn’t cause me much nostalgia nor did it have any big impact on my life - this is principally why this movie is in the lower tier of my ranking.

PUBLIC

Alex
Me @ Bambi: rip to ur mom but im different

DEE

#22. Bambi (1942)

IPB Image

IPB Image

N12dH1lIE74

Bambi is iconic, simply put. One of the pioneering Walt Disney animated films, Bambi evokes such a strong feeling of nostalgia and childhood reminiscence. I have such vivid memories of being distraught and in anguish over the death of Bambi's mother, which truly is one of the most haunting and impactful scenes in Disney's long cinematic history. There is something to be said about the enduring impact of this story, and that is why I am happy to see it in the finals of this Rankdown.

Is Bambi the most fantastical Disney film? No. Is Bambi the most entertaining Disney film? Probably not. Bambi lacks a lot of the magical elements that came to be associated with the early Disney films. Vivid imagery, otherworldly elements, unforgettable music. Does that make Bambi a weaker film amongst the finalists? Sure. But I do not think that Bambi should be so harshly criticized for straying away from the usual character of the earlier Disney animated features.

Bambi is a cautionary tale on the threat that humans pose to wildlife conservation and the harmony of animals in the wild. Disney avoids making this movie a simple cartoon fantasy film and instead creates something more grim, slow, and somber. I actually really appreciate that aspect of this film. There is a visceral shock about this film that stays with you, but there is also a deeply touching spirit to this film that I will always fondly remember. Bambi is unique, and that deserves to be noted!

Thumper and Flower are two of the cutest and greatest characters in Disney history as well, and they alone deserve some respect for carrying so much of the film. Not surprised to see the film rank on the lower end, but happy to recognize the great aspects of this classic.

Mary Poppins and Bambi tied in scores, but Bambi was ranked higher than Mary Poppins more often.

Edited by Carrie&BlakeFan

Chris:

04. Mary Poppins

24. The Jungle Book

26. Bambi

28. The Fox and the Hound

29. Incredibles 2

Dee:

16. The Jungle Book

17. Incredibles 2

22. Bambi

25. The Fox and the Hound

29. Mary Poppins

Denise:

06. Bambi

07. The Fox and the Hound

14. Incredibles 2

26. Mary Poppins

30. The Jungle Book

Diana:

12. Incredibles 2

24. Bambi

26. Mary Poppins

28. The Fox and the Hound

30. The Jungle Book

Elliott:

08. Incredibles 2

18. The Jungle Book

20. Bambi

21. The Fox and the Hound

24. Mary Poppins

Public:

14. Mary Poppins

18. The Fox and the Hound

25. The Jungle Book

27. Bambi

30. Incredibles 2

Victoria:

09. Mary Poppins

19. The Fox and the Hound

20. The Jungle Book

22. Bambi

24. Incredibles 2

Wallace:

11. Bambi

13. The Jungle Book

23. The Fox and the Hound

26. Mary Poppins

30. Incredibles 2

Bambi. :'( :'( I kind of expected this movie would show up soon, but wish it would have at least ranked higher than a few others. :( It will always be a favorite of mine.

WALLACE

He makes great and close friends with an energetic rabbit named Thumper who helps him to walk and speak. He also makes friends with a skunk named Flower and female fawn named Faline. He asks them money questions about the world and they help answer his questions as best as they can.

:shock:

I bet Thumper gave great financial advice. :wub::cha-ching:

VICTORIA

Flower is a stunk

:bye2:

Alex

Me @ Bambi: rip to ur mom but im different

:detective:

Bambi.

I knew Denise would rank it the highest and give it an amazing review, of course!

This (except about being fine). :bye2:

Awww. :" border="0" alt="blushing.gif" /> I'm sad nobody else loves it as much. :( But glad you ranked it high too and thank you very much! :hug::hug: You know how much I love my Thumper. :wub: Oh really? I considered it, but I love my Top 5 a ton too. :bye2: