Dee - 19/30
Elliott - 19/30
Chris - 22/30
Public - 22/30
Denise - 25/30
Diana - 27/30

WALLACE
Pinocchio (1940)
I’m going to give Pinocchio the #10 ranking on my list because of….. well I don’t have any particular reason. Pinocchio is an absolute classic that really deserves its spot in the Top 30 and i hope it gets a high ranking. If it doesn’t, I’ll live and be fine with that but yeah I think it’s a great classic film and do hope to see it get a good ranking. Pinocchio is such a classic that it’s the 2nd Disney animated feature film. The film was released in February 1940 and grossed $84.2 million in the box office.

VICTORIA
Pinocchio

IPB Image

Pinocchio comes in a lucky number 13 even though I wouldn't truthfully rank in number 13 among these 30 films. I've always like Pinocchio but it's not a film I grew up watching or loved as a child. I like the film well enough, I'm familiar with the characters, the story and the songs. So yeah, it just lacks that nostalgia factor for me that certain other films on this list have. I did give it a high ranking because I think the older films will get tanked so I'm trying to balance it out.

So Pinocchio is a 1940 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions, distributed by RKO Radio Pictures and based on the Italian children's novel The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. It was the second animated feature film produced by Disney made after the first animated success Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was supposed to be the third with Bambi being the second but delays on that film cause Pinocchio to be moved ahead in production.

The film follows an an old wood-carver named Geppetto who carves a wooden puppet named Pinocchio. Pinocchio is brought to life by The Blue Fairy after Gepepetto wishes on a star for him to become a real boy. She informs him that he can became a real boy if he proves himself to be "brave, truthful, and unselfish". Jiminy Cricket is assigned to be his conscience. Geppetto finds out the next morning that his wish came true. This when Pinocchio is put to the test because on his way to school he is led astray by Honest John the Fox and his companion, Gideon the Cat, who convinces him to join Stromboli's puppet show. ONE DAY AS A "REAL BOY" AND HE IS ALREADY ENROLLED IN SCHOOL. :dead: Stromboli refuses to let Pinocchio leave after what a hit he has been and locks in in a cage. The Blue fairy appears and asks Pinocchio why he isn't in school. Jiminy urges to tell the truth but he lies and his nose grows longer with every lie. Pinocchio promises to be good boy from now on and The Blue Fairy helps him escape, she warns him him that this will be the last time she can help him.

Does Pinocchio learn his lesson? No, across town, Honest John and Gideon meet a coachman who promises to pay them money if they can find naughty little boys for him to take to Pleasure Island. They find Pinocchio on his way home and they convince him that he needs to take a vacation there. Pinocchio befriends a boy named Lampwick on the way there. Pinocchio and the other naughty boys engage in smoking, gambling, vandalism and getting drunk. Jiminy discovers that the island causes a horrible curse that transforms the boys into donkeys and are sold into slave labor. Jiminy runs to warn Pinocchio. Lampwick turned into a donkey while Pinocchio managed to escape with donkey ears and a tail. When Jiminy and Pinocchio arrive home they find a letter written by The Blue Fairy that states Geppetto was on his way to save Pinocchio from Pleasure Island but was devoured by Monstro, a sperm whale. He now resides in his belly. Pinocchio rushes to save his father and ultimately does when he is swallowed by Mostro himself but he hatches a plan to get Monster to sneeze and release them. It works and Geppetto, Figaro, Gepetto's fish, Cleo, Gepetto's cat, and Jiminy are washed up safely on a beach; Pinocchio is presumably killed. Geppetto grieves over Pinocchio with Jiminy Cricket and the pets. The Blue Fairy comes and declares Pinocchio has shown to be brave, truthful, and selfless and turns him into a real boy. Jiminy Cricket is rewarded with a solid gold badge that certifies him as an official conscience. The thing I remember most about this film are the two songs "I've Got No Strings" and "When You Wish Upon A Star" which I personally love.

iAykOz1gWi4
pguMUFyJ3_U

The film was released to theaters by RKO Radio Pictures on February 7, 1940. It became the first animated feature to win a competitive Academy Award winning two for Best Music, Original Score and for Best Music, Original Song for "When You Wish Upon a Star". It was initially a box office disaster thanks to World War 2 which is the same thing that happened to Bambi initially. It eventually made a profit in its 1945 reissue and is considered one of the greatest animated films ever made. It holds a 100% approval rating on the website Rotten Tomatoes and Pinocchio was added to the United States National Film Registry for being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". Bambi costs $2,289,247 to make and during its multiple runs it has made $84.2 million at the box office. A sequel was planned in 2006 but was scrapped. In 2015 a live adaption was announced but after the disappointing box office returns for Dumbo it is unsure whether the live-action adaptation would be on the big screen or Disney+. I hope it's in theaters because I think it would do better than Dumbo.

DEE
To be added.

ELLIOTT
19. Pinocchio (1940)
Animated Walt Disney movie made pre-1970s, so I'm just going to assume it's probably got some racist undertone to it.

CHRIS
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Pinocchio, inspired “The Adventures of Pinocchio”, is an animated & musical movie in 1940 - upon its release, the movie did not find great success due to the on-going WWII. However, it would later find some success in 1946 upon its re-release where the public fell in love with many of the characters such as Pinocchio, Jiminy Cricket, and Figaro the Cat. However, the movie is best known for its original song, “When You Wish Upon a Star” - the song has since become an icon of Disney where it was often featured at some of its fireworks show or other movies.

Overall, the movie is incredibly beloved by many where it's often considered one of the greatest animated movies ever made - notably due to its animation. On this point, I can see why my ranking could be considered a bit controversial. It’s not that I hate the movie but it’s a movie that I never cared for growing up; I remember being scared during some specific scene - let’s just say that I much prefer the live-action Pinocchio from Once Upon A Time.

PUBLIC

Alex
Pinocchio - I still get nightmares from this movie holy sh*t. Also this level in Kingdom Hearts? The worst! I couldn’t find f*cking Riku for the life of me and kept falling off heights and having to start over F*CK YOU RIKU!

DENISE
Pinocchio

IPB ImageIPB Image

Pinocchio is a story told by Jiminy Cricket about a wooden marionette named Pinocchio who comes to life when his maker, Geppetto, wishes on a star for him to be a real boy. The Blue Fairy makes it so, or sort of, since he is still a puppet, but is alive and has no strings. Pinocchio must prove to be honest and selfless in order to officially become and stay human.

Jiminy Cricket plays the role of Pinocchio's conscience, which is desperately needed seeing the things that he gets into. I find it funny that as soon as Geppetto realizes Pinocchio is alive, he sends him off to school with no preparation or advance notice to anyone... and he's still a puppet. :lmao: But of course Pinocchio never makes it to school anyway because he's too busy becoming the star of Stromboli's puppet show, getting locked up in a bird cage, telling lies to make his nose grow, and then get whisked away to "Pleasure Island", where he participates in all sorts of funny business, as well as gets turned part way into a donkey. WOW Pinocchio. You had one job.

IPB Image

The part of the movie with all the kids as donkeys still terrifies me. :shiver: Jiminy Cricket is along for the ride to do his best, and the Blue Fairy does return to at least free Pinocchio from the cage. But the worst comes when Geppetto sets out to save Pinocchio from the island and gets swallowed by a whale. How does his whole home exist inside that whale? And he has his pets with him too? We'll never know. The good news is Pinocchio goes to save his father and once inside the whale, they force it to sneeze them out to safety. Pinocchio appears to not have survived this ordeal, but having proven himself brave and selfless, the Blue Fairy allows him to become a real human boy.

IPB Image

This movie is definitely creative and has some interesting plot twists. :haha: Pinocchio is a bit of a rebel, but proves himself in the end, so I like that character growth. I also like when he tried to actually go to school after escaping the bird cage, before those evil creatures lured him off to donkey island. :bye2: All in all, another classic Disney film, even if not near the top of my list. We did get the iconic "When You Wish Upon a Star" song from this movie, which is certainly notable. And the kitty, Figaro, is so cute! <3

IPB ImageIPB Image

DIANA
27. Pinocchio
Blah