Disney Movies Rankdown - Part II

Steven_

You should have checked the International Rankdown when it was going, we were always horny :haha:
My write-up on Top 20 Contestant Nico Archambault exclusively being about how I'd smash it like a screen door in a hurricane. :wub:

of course this is the top post. :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#27 is ready. :sorcerer:

However, it all won't fit in one post since there are a lot of images. So, don't post until all the write-ups are there so the two posts will combine into one. :lol:

Ooh wow, I'm curious what this could be. :haha:

27. MARY POPPINS (1964)
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Chris - 4/30
Victoria - 9/30
Public - 14/30
Elliott - 24/30
Denise - 26/30
Diana - 26/30
Wallace - 26/30
Dee - 29/30

CHRIS
IPB Image

Mary Poppins is legendary movie – I assume, well I know for a fact, that many of you will be tanking this because you either never seen it or you hate musical or you just don’t care for it, which I absolutely understand because musicals is not everyone’s cup of tea. But again, if you love Disney, you should at least have an appreciation for musicals. And for that reason, I made sure that I would give Mary Poppins a high placement on my ranking – this should not come to surprise considering that I saved it at multiple occasions.

The movie was released in 1964 which was produced by Walt Disney & composed by the Sherman Brothers – it’s inspired by P.L. Travers’ book series of the same name. The movie introduced us to Dame Julie Andrews for which she won the Oscar for Best Actress – imagine hating on a movie that stars this icon because your favorites could never, Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson, and Glynis Johns. Upon its release, it was met with critical success due to its visual and soundtrack – a nomination at the Academy Award for Best Picture while the movie is correctly part of the National Film Registry for its impact.

The story takes place in 1910 where Bert, portrayed by Dick Van Dyke, is giving us a tour pf Cherry Tree Lane which is where the Banks family live – the Banks family is composed of George, Winifred, Jane, and Michael. At the Banks family, they’re having a problem at keeping their nanny due to their children – they always manage to find a way to run away… In this fun scene, they are chasing a flying kite until the constable found them and brought them back home.

Without a nanny, they are on a mission to find a new one – the children are hoping to have a kinder and sweet nanny than the previous one. In fact, they even created their own ad which their dad ripped up which managed to go up the chimney and fly up in the air. Their ad magically worked when a nanny comes down from the sky with an umbrella – this is such an iconic scene. And the nanny in question was none other than Mary Poppins, herself. She quickly made an impression on the kid with her magical bag where she could pull out objects from it - I remember being amazed by that scene, as a kid. Anyway, Mary Poppins showed the kids that they can have fun even when cleaning - notably with one of her signature song, “A Spoonful of Sugar”.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

The kids then go on an adventure with Mary Poppins where they run into Bert who tell the following line to Michael & Jane: “When you're with Mary Poppins, suddenly you're in places you've never dreamed of”. And just like that, Mary Poppins transports the group into one of Bert’s paintings - as Bert would say, it was a jolly holiday. It is in that scene that Mary Poppins is wearing the ever so iconic white dress - I remember seeing the dress at Disney World where I almost freaked out when I saw it. We also have Bert’s iconic penguin dance - I must say that the visual were quite impressive, even more so when you know that the entire set was of painting.
The group then find themselves on a carousel where Mary, Bert, Michael and Jane starts chasing a fox to save him. While all of this is happening, Mary Poppins find herself in a horse race which she ends up winning. Her victory is then followed by one of the most iconic songs from the movie, “

After a great adventure with Mary Poppins and Bert, the kids are trying to convince Mary Poppins of what they saw which Mary denies. She then used the power of her voice to send the kids to sleep - she’s quite the character that Mary Poppins. The following morning, they run into odd Uncle Albert who is floating up the ceiling. Why is floating? He is floating due to his uncontrollable laughter where the others starting floating due to their laugh - this is probably my least favourite scene.

Back at the Banks’ house, it seems like everything is not going as they seen - Mr. Banks is not pleased with Mary Poppins’s positivty. He then threatened to fire her as a nanny. She finds a way to manipulate him in taking the children to work; While at work, the children runs into Mr. Dawes Sr. where he is trying to convince Michael to invest his tuppence in the bank - they end up stealing the coin from Michael. This leads to Michael and Jane trying to fight to get back his coin which led to a bigger conflict. What is this conflict? It end up creating a bank run when everyone was asking to get their money.

Following the situation at the bank, Michael & Jane runs away; they find Bert in the middle of the alley where he was “dirty” due to his work. Bert tell the kids that their dad loves them, and he then bring them home. Once at home, Michael & Jane finds themselves up on the roof where they were sent through the chimney - this scene gave us some iconic moment notably “Step In Time” which is probably one of the best scenes on the stage version due to the dance.

Following their adventure on the roof, everyone returns back to the Banks’ house where Bert then convince Mr. Banks to spend more time with his children before they grow up. In hope to make amends with their dad, the children gives the tuppence to their dad. He then goes to the bank where he was humiliated by Mr. Dawes Sr… The scene concludes with Mr. Banks looking at the tuppence which leads him to laugh, blurs out “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”, and followed by a joke - the joke was essentially Michael & Jane’s adventures with Mary Poppins. Mr. Banks leaves the bank, happy as can be, while singing “A Spoonful of Sugar".

Mr. Banks’ happiness essentially led to the wind changing its directions which means that it now time for Mary Poppins must leave. The movie ends with the kids flying the kit that their dad’s fixed with Mr. Banks being re-hired by the bank following the death of Mr. Dawes Sr. And of course, Mary Poppins then goes on another adventure while flying away on her umbrella with Bert telling her to not stay away too long.

And now, my personal thoughts on Mary Poppins; I absolutely love the movie as it was probably one fhte first traditional musical that I ever watched. And the movie essentially started my love of musicals at a young age - I absolutely adore the soundtrack which is still great to this day, and the soundtrack of the Broadway production of Mary Poppins is incredible; It’s crazy to me that it took them 40 years to produce a musical version of the movie. And now, here’s some of my favourite song from the musical’s soundtrack;

ATTf4ig0CcA 6eDsRWubPV4
tPN9Swf3_kk 3IBvtuZNgAM
0adpbKfIp0I 3vjDMjgHaSQ
AcDfnxHw4p4 A1NUnUZpsvQ
--------------------
LtTYcLoboSU Pgd34O_1CGw
xVSUoDU8CR4 pL-sX7Ocjv0

VICTORIA
Mary Poppins

IPB Image

The only live-action film (with some animation) to make the finals is Mary Poppins. Even if you don't like the film or don't care for it it's quite a feat in this rankdown where I thought only animated films would make the finals. My favorite live-action Disney film is Old Yeller but if Old Yeller couldn't make the finals I'm glad Mary Poppins did because she is one of Disney's most cherish properties. I know I ranked Mary in my top 10 but my rank is exaggerated to help out a friend. I'll let you guess who. :giggle: I would truthfully rank Mary Poppins outside of my top 20 in this group of finalists. The movie deserved to make the finals just for featuring Dame Jule Andrews tbh. :*

Mary Poppins is a 1964 American musical fantasy film directed by Robert Stevenson and produced by Walt Disney. The songs were written and composed by the Sherman Brothers. The screenplay is by Bill Walsh and Don DaGradi and the film is based on P. L. Travers's book series Mary Poppins. I never knew that Mary Poppins originated from a book series. Like I mentioned before, the film combined live-action and animation. It starred Julie Andrews in her feature film debut as Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins visits a family in London who are in turmoil. They employ her to be a nanny of sorts to Michael and Jane Banks. She is employed by their parents George and Winifred Banks. The movie also stars the legendary Dick Van Dyke as Bert, Mary Poppins's closest friend. Mary's job is to help the family and when her job is done she must leave. Mary, Bert and the children go on many adventures along the way including using magic to transport the group into a drawing, riding a carousel, they rescue a fox from a fox hunt followed by a horse race which Mary wins. The film sounds zany but it's a great film full of wonder, song and imagination. Speaking of songs the film has three notable songs which I love including "Chim Chim Cher-ee", "A Spoonful of Sugar" and a song that even got added to the Oxford English Dictionary, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

kG6O4N3wxf8
_L4qauTiCY4
1Pu1adxqUAg

Mary Poppins was released on August 27, 1964 to critical acclaim. It received a total of 13 Academy Awards nominations, including Best Picture, which is a record for any film released by Walt Disney Studios. It won five including Best Actress for Julie Andrews, Best Film Editing, Best Original Music Score, Best Visual Effects, and Best Original Song for "Chim Chim Cher-ee". In 2013, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". That's always an honor for any motion picture. Mary Poppins is considered Walt Disney's crowning live-action achievement as it'a the only one of his films which earned a Best Picture nomination during his lifetime. Here is some trivia for you. The film was shot entirely at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California using painted London background scenes. The film was made for $4.4–6 million and made $103.1 million at the box office. It has a 100% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The film also won a Golden Globe (Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role – Musical or Comedy for Julie Andrews) and two Grammy Awards (Best Recording for Children and Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Show). The film was even spoofed by The Simpsons. :dead: A sequel to the film was releases many years later in 2018 entitled Mary Poppins Returns. The role of Mary Poppins was taken over by Emily Blunt. Dick Van Dyke made a cameo in the film. Julie Andrews declined a cameo as she wanted the focus to solely be on Emily. WHAT A LADY. :wub: Julie Andrews and Mary Poppins are national treasures. <3

PUBLIC

Alex
I believe Mary Poppins is the last non-animated movie remaining and it has totally earned that title. I grew up watching Mary Poppins as it’s one of my parents’ favorite movies and I fell in love with it as well. It’s a very complex tale, but still full of whimsy and childlike wonder. They don’t shy away from the faults of these parents nor do they make excuses for their behavior. They also give us a lot of context to sympathize with them. Instead of your typical Disney villainous parents, these two, specifically George Banks, is given the chance of redemption.
The heroes of this movie too are also super likable and entertaining. I’ve made it clear that I love villains and I’m usually #TeamVillains, but Mary truly is practically perfect in every way and I love her the most. It’s rare that the titular character of the movie is also my favorite, but I never got tired of seeing her on my screen, played flawlessly by the incomparable Julie Andrews.
The songs in Mary Poppins are among the best in Disney history. Personally my favorite is “Step In Time” but you can make an argument for pretty much any song in the movie being the best. All around, I can’t fault the movie in any way. Having seen Saving Mr. Banks, I lowkey feel bad for P.L. Travers for what they’ve done to her beloved books, but I still adore the movie with all my heart.

Megan
Mary Poppins
IPB Image

Back when VHS tapes cost like sixty 2019 dollars, my family had a copy of Mary Poppins. I loved this movie as a kid. Then they loaned it to the neighbor kid who babysat me and my sister and she never returned it because I'm pretty sure she moved but also maybe she was just babysitting us angling for a free expensive VHS tape all along! I think because of that though as a kid I really built up Mary Poppins in my mind. It was a movie that I already liked and unlike the other Disney movies that we had, it wasn't one that I could watch easily again.

Mary Poppins is a technological marvel of its time. While Disney had pioneered a lot of the technology of mixing Live Action and animation before (most notably in Song of the South), it's still more than a bit incredible how seamlessly Disney studios carried off the animated scenes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

In the era of things like CGI, it's easy to take these things for granted, but this still ages incredibly well, even if it's not as magical as it was in 1964.

And the casting is perfect. Thankfully Julie Andrews was so unappreciated in Hollywood (most notably being passed over for the My Fair Lady adaptation despite originating the stage role) but appreciated enough by Disney (despite being pregnant at the time!) to get the role. Julie Andrews just has this quality where she's just a really warm even despite the fact that Mary Poppins is a frigid character. I can't quite describe it. But you've seen the movie. You know what I mean. There's a reason she won an Academy Award for this movie (beyond the fact that movie musicals were incredibly popular in the mid-60s and Disney was very good at getting awards won when he wanted them to be won).

A sidenote here, another movie beloved by my mom and me when I was young was The Sound of Music. Also starring Julie Andrews. When I was a kid I was BLOWN AWAY that the same woman that played Mary Poppins also played Maria (I didn't know people could just CHANGE HAIR COLORS when I was like 5 years old) and I was so distraught as a youth when my mom then subsequently told me that Julie Andrews was unable to sing. End sidenote.

And though Dick Van Dyke has the worst Cockney accent that has potentially every been tried by a non-Brit, he's so charming as Bert and his chemistry with Julie Andrews is perfect. Honestly, I don't really have much to say about the rest of the cast. They nailed Mary and Bert so well that the rest is inconsequential. David Tomlinson as the dad is great, Glynis Johns is so fun as Mrs. Banks, Hermione Braddeley is also as fun in the movie as she is in her wikipedia picture. It's a good cast.

IPB Image
(The aforementioned Glynis Johns and Hermione Braddeley).

The script is good and it makes sense and is brought to life by its wonderful cast. I say this only because Mary Poppins Returns had a bad script made only salvageable by the charm of Emily Blunt. I also say this because even though it diverges so heavily from PL Travers's original, it works in its own way. While Walt Disney may be a loathsome human (and not the Tom Hanks character that Saving Mr. Banks would have you believe he was), he was a capitalist with a keen sense of what makes a good, entertaining, and perhaps most of all enduring movie. I do not think the movie that PL Travers wanted would have endured in the same way.

All of this by itself creates a great movie, but what really sends this over the top as one of Disney's greatest ever is the soundtrack. Every single song is memorable. From little bit songs like "Sister Suffragette" to the bombastic "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" to the quieter "Feed the Birds." It's one of the major letdowns of the new Emily Blunt Mary Poppins movie.

XHrRxQVUFN4

ftxnr28LDXc
(As a child I could not snap and therefore had a very hard time singing along with this song).

kG6O4N3wxf8
(The lampost lighters or whatever they were could not compare)

zy7XEMeBROQ

As an audience commentary this is getting pretty long so I'll wrap it up with a few final thoughts. As a movie, everything comes together perfectly. It's meticulously crafted but not to the point where it's overwrought. In fact quite the opposite, it feels almost effortless with how everything fits so perfectly together. It's one of the few films even today that can justify having a 139 minute runtime because it feels that all 139 minutes are important.

As Mary Poppins herself would say, the movie was practically perfect in every way.

ELLIOTT
24. Mary Poppins (1964)
Meh.

DENISE
Mary Poppins

IPB ImageIPB Image

Mary Poppins is the only live action movie to make the finals and that's a pretty big deal. This movie is clearly a classic and nobody can argue that. I didn't personally grow up with this movie, as I did with others, but I know my mom loves it and that means something for me. <3 We actually saw the sequel together in theaters and I loved that one. I could only really remember parts of the original, but I did watch it back, of course. There are so many iconic songs in the movie that even someone who's never seen it has to be somewhat familiar with it.

IPB Image

It tells the story of a nanny, Mary Poppins, who comes to watch after the Banks children when their previous nanny is fired. The kids put out an ad very different than their strict and uptight father, and of course their wish is granted when Mary Poppins falls out of the sky. :haha: Not literally falls, of course. But she has all kinds of adventures with Jane and Michael, to the dismay of their father, who has no time for fun. (!) She also plays master tricks on Mr. Banks by convincing him that he hired her himself and later on when she gets him to take the kids to the bank. But perhaps the most notable adventure she takes the kids on is into the drawing of good ol' Bert, where they dance, sing, and encounter animated creatures. :wub:

IPB ImageIPB Image

I love those penguins! Of course, this is where "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" takes place. Who doesn't know that? Other fun times include their visit with Uncle Albert and the rooftop escape with the chimney sweeps. :wub: I think "Step in Time" might be my favorite from the movie, or at least one of them. It's so fun, although they all are. And LOL when the kids fly up the chimney sweep. First Michael and then Jane and Mary Poppins goes, "There goes the other one!" :dead: I don't know, it cracks me up. Also, funny how she's always called Mary Poppins and not just Mary. Anyway, the movie has a happy ending, as Mr. Banks comes to his senses and has a good laugh over the word "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." He kills a man at the bank with laughter, but I guess everyone's okay with it since he was so happy. :unsure: But Mr. Banks is devoted to spending more time with his kid and of course, they must go fly a kite. Mary Poppins's work here is done, so she flies back into the sky. I guess she came from heaven. :bye2:

This is such a timeless movie full of amazing music, a fun storyline, and of course some amazing legendary actors in Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. I absolutely love the character of Bert in this movie. He's so fun and lovable. :wub: Also, fun fact, but I did a dance recital performance to the song "Chim Chim Cher-ee" when I was younger. :wub: That always takes me back.

IPB Image

DIANA
26. Mary Poppins
Sorry not Sorry Chris

WALLACE
Mary Poppins (1964)
I’m putting the very classic Mary Poppins at #26. Initially I thought I was going to put this lower but that wasn’t the case although I know people will still claim this is low. I don’t think I ever saw Mary Poppins nor am I really much of a fan of it? I know it’s a classic though so I have no problems with this being in the Top 30. I do love the song "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” which I can never properly say for the life of me, so I will link that song.

uZNRzc3hWvE

DEE
To be added.

DEE

#29. Mary Poppins (1964)

IPB Image

IPB Image

4I-b_GJ4ltk

Brilliant write-ups Chris, Megan, Victoria, and Denise. My write-up for this film will not be nearly as inspired, as one could imply from my low ranking of Mary Poppins. Let me state this fact first: Mary Poppins is one of the greatest films ever made. Without a doubt. A cinematic masterpiece. One of the most impactful and legendary pieces of pop culture, Mary Poppins is a crowning achievement for Walt Disney that may never be achieved again. Mary Poppins possesses the incredible power to not only capture the attention of the child, but somehow to access the child within every single adult. If "Disney Magic" truly exists, Mary Poppins is both the origination and wonderful culmination of such a powerful magic. The awe-inspiring combinations of animation and live-action, the unforgettable and truly landmark soundtrack, the game-changing performance of Julie Andrews in the titular role, Dick Van Dyke's incredible performance as Bert, the luxurious set designs...there are endless wonderful praises that could be sang about this film.

So why did I rank this film so low?

First and foremost, I have nearly zero personal connection to this film. Mary Poppins is a film that I watched once, maybe twice as a child and have watched only twice as an adult. So much of what makes Disney magical is the uncanny ability for the films to endure for so long in the heart of the viewer. Nearly every other film in the finals (sans the newest entries) are films that I have watched hundreds of times over from childhood to adulthood. Mary Poppins, however, is a film that did not have that effect on me. Surprisingly so, considering I love musicals and I love Julie Andrews. But I think all that is magical about this film is much more easily felt as an adult than as a child. At least in my opinion.

Secondly, my re-introduction to Mary Poppins happened many years later during undergrad while discussing racism in notable works of literature and film while taking African American Literature. Mary Poppins was brought up in the class discussion and there is a ton of racist and classist undertones in the novel and film adaptation that made me really open my eyes to how massively terrible Walt Disney was as a human being. Revisiting the film after the discussion was a totally different experience tbh. Funnily enough, I know that earlier this year/end of last year the controversy of this film was brought to the public once again (probably due to the release of the bad sequel). I took that Lit class in 2013-2014.

Thirdly, there is all of the controversy regarding the working set conditions and how the actors treated one another. And of course, there is all of the drama between P.L. Travers and Disney.

I just think that for a film that I do not have a huge personal connection to, all of the drama and classically racist Disney undertones spoiled my perception of the film many years later.

Do I recognize the absolutely phenomenal aspects of the film? Yes. But have I also critically reassessed this film (like most other Disney films)? Yes. I totally recognize why this film still remains one of the most beloved and treasured pieces of North American cinema. And who can dare question the unbelievable performance of Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins. But it's simply not my favorite film of the bunch, so I'm sorry to have to rank it this low Chris!

Edited by Carrie&BlakeFan