The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

1 hour ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Btw, I'm just tired of the word "Pitchy." :/

Peeps on live thread were calling Omar's MJ cover pitchy when it's clearly not. He was On-Key. 

Sometimes it’s true, though. 

One thing I’m getting tired of…

”don’t connect.” 🙄

27 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Sometimes it’s true, though. 

One thing I’m getting tired of…

”don’t connect.” 🙄

Sometimes? Yes, but most of the times? No.

Some people here just use that word for everything they don't like.

"Connect" is very subjective tho. I thought Reagan connected with the songs really well, but a lot of people didn't feel the emotion at all whenever she sang.

I also found myself really connected to "Halo" and "Who You Are," but some people (On MJS and IDF) still complained that Jordan does nothing for them emotionally. MDYK? was his only performance that those people respect.

This season I'm feeling all of Morgan's performances, but a lot of people are complaining about that too.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CocoaPuffs said:

My unpopular opinion is that even though Brayden should’ve been eliminated in the semis, I still think he is rly talented with a beautiful tone and will be extremely great in a few years. I think the hate he gets is too much and I enjoy most of his performances. 

hate is bad. at the same time, i don’t think contestants’ potential should matter, since they chose to go on the show at the time that they did. we r voting based on what they r singing in the moment, presumably.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Sometimes? Yes, but most of the times? No.

Some people here just use that word for everything they don't like.

"Connect" is very subjective tho. I thought Reagan connected with the songs really well, but a lot of people didn't feel the emotion at all whenever she sang.

I also found myself really connected to "Halo" and "Who You Are," but some people (On MJS and IDF) still complained that Jordan does nothing for them emotionally. MDYK? was his only performance that those people respect.

This season I'm feeling all of Morgan's performances, but a lot of people are complaining about that too.

I do remember the complaints about Jordan not "connecting". But I also remember Great is Thy Faithfulness getting a pretty good reception too. (Maybe it's the religious songs? Lol)

2 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I do remember the complaints about Jordan not "connecting". But I also remember Great is Thy Faithfulness getting a pretty good reception too. (Maybe it's the religious songs? Lol)

Oh yeah GITF and MDYK? were really respected here on IDF (Watched old threads on archive, that's why I know this).

But I also remember Mjs calling Jordan a panderer for covering religious songs lol.

Now if you talk about the actual audience (Casuals and minivan), he won them right after his audition. Probably the biggest runaway winner of all time (along with Sawyer).

About connection: I don't care whether IDF or Mjs felt connected with him or not. All I know is I did, and millions of other people too (which was clear by seeing the comments under his videos.)

He gave so many heartfelt performances, it's just that IDF and Mjs were busy stanning Amy and Jeffery.

12 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Oh yeah GITF and MDYK? were really respected here on IDF (Watched old threads on archive, that's why I know this).

But I also remember Mjs calling Jordan a panderer for covering religious songs lol.

Now if you talk about the actual audience (Casuals and minivan), he won them right after his audition. Probably the biggest runaway winner of all time (along with Sawyer).

About connection: I don't care whether IDF or Mjs felt connected with him or not. All I know is I did, and millions of other people too (which was clear by seeing the comments under his videos.)

He gave so many heartfelt performances, it's just that IDF and Mjs were busy stanning Amy and Jeffery.

Jeffery was great too. I think maybe he attracted people who were rooting for the underdog or wanted an unexpected contestant to win. But his Jealous and DOMO were pretty great on their own merits imo.

Didn't really get the love for Amy though. I enjoyed her tactic of flipping songs that we all know. But in actually doing it, I thought she was kinda inconsistent.

That all being said: I don't think anyone's beating Jordan's STL anytime soon lol. I do think Alisan's Stone Cold gives him some competition, but it has to be between those two for me.

Just now, nytsch said:

Jeffery was great too. I think maybe he attracted people who were rooting for the underdog or wanted an unexpected contestant to win. But his Jealous and DOMO were pretty great on their own merits imo.

Didn't really get the love for Amy though. I enjoyed her tactic of flipping songs that we all know. But in actually doing it, I thought she was kinda inconsistent.

That all being said: I don't think anyone's beating Jordan's STL anytime soon lol. I do think Alisan's Stone Cold gives him some competition, but it has to be between those two for me.

Some people were turned off by the hype tptb gave him. From calling him the unicorn, to Michael Jordan of The Voice, to most important person ever, etc... (I personally think it was well deserved).

Jeffery was a great singer, I just thought Jordan was much better. And agree on Amy, I never liked her. Madi was my 2nd fav behind Jordan.

If we don't just talk about high notes, but consider all the other things as well, I don't think there's any performance that's better than Jordan's STL.

Amanda's "Dream On" is a close second for me.

I think Omar’s Somebody to Love was more of a miss than a hit. If I was blind I would have loved it, but when everything I see on screen is trying to make my viewing experience miserable: the staging, all the “extra-ness”, that ending (seriously, wtf)… it’s hard to enjoy Omar’s fantastic vocals. It was so OTT I couldn’t really take it seriously. In a way it reminded me of Erin’s Walk Like An Egyptian (which felt more like a parody than a performance)

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Idk how unpopular is this, but Morgan was never the TCO. It was bodie.

Also, hopefully we can finally throw the "Vote splitting theory" where it belongs: into the trash.

I mean, it's a case to case basis I think.

I'm not confident Maelyn would have won if Gyth was the sole country guy in the finale. A lot of the votes that went to the other 2 country guys would probably go to him if they weren't there.

Though the country crowd seems to like its folk singers a lot if theyre good enough (GNT, Maelyn) so who knows.

5 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Also, hopefully we can finally throw the "Vote splitting theory" where it belongs: into the trash.

She was probably never winning looking back at it. Maybe she was only 2nd in votes on Semis night, Bodie was likely 3rd. 

So they switched to see if Bodie could take it home if Morgan couldn't do it on her best day. Had him open and go near-last on Finale night with a Christian song, see what happens then.

5 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

At first I thought this too, why would you only vote for one of your favorite coach's contestants if you can vote for all of them? But I guess the finale is kind of unique because there's only one winner. So I wonder if Blake voters this season thought "Brayden's not winning anyway" and put their support behind Bryce and Bodie instead. That explains Brayden's 5th-place finish, and given some hesitancy by diehard country fans to support Bodie, it also explains Bryce's win.

That may (probably) be giving too much credit to people's thought process while voting. But strategizing never hurts if you want your favorite coach to win at all costs...

10 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

She was probably never winning looking back at it. Maybe she was only 2nd in votes on Semis night, Bodie was likely 3rd. 

So they switched to see if Bodie could take it home if Morgan couldn't do it on her best day. Had him open and go near-last on Finale night with a Christian song, see what happens then.

I know they always say the results reveal isn't in order. But I think the top 10 and top 8 results, it's plausible that the order was at least close to how it actually came out. The only thing I doubt was Bryce being near the bottom in top 10. But it seems like he really got people on board in the last 2 weeks, so it's not impossible...

Probably too much theorizing for something we'll never know. It's still interesting to think about.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

Bodie's spots on the finale were almost the same as Maelyn's, right?. If they wanted to do pull a "Maelyn" with Morgan, with the supposed "Vote splitting" and everything, Bodie's spots would have go to Morgan instead. But no, they didn't care about that. 

My theory is that they knew Blake was winning anyway, so they tried to make him win with a different type of artist (an alt-rock dude) than the one that usually wins. Of course, the country guy won anyway so that didn't work as they expected

• Like 1

Not sure how unpopular this is since he's rarely mentioned here. But Javier Colon has my favourite tone of all the male winners. Probably 2nd overall in that regard behind Chloe MK for me

Time after time and Angel are some of the best performances on the show.

Edited by Hsamid

27 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Not sure how unpopular this is since he's rarely mentioned here. But Javier Colon has my favourite tone of all the male winners. Probably 2nd overall in that regard behind Chloe MK for me

Time after time and Angel are some of the best performances on the show.

I love Javier's tone as well. I can't say my #1 (cuz Sawyer exists), but I really love it. Angel was just heavenly. :wub:

Unpop, but I like his rendition of "Time After Time" the most out of everyone one who's covered it(Yes, even more than Chloe's).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

I think they are co-TCOs at the very least. I think they may have overpimped bodie just a tad, on account on him being much less Minivan friendly than Morgan.

They opened the door for a Morgan vs bodie showdown during the Semis when bodie had his weakest outing and Morgan had her strongest. But little did they know that on that same night, Bryce will have the performance which pretty much clinched him the demo votes. I truly think that's when the tides turned in Bryce's favor. 

Edited by Teraginn

On 12/16/2022 at 12:48 PM, Gustavo527 said:

Morgan had pretty good treatment in the prelives too (leaked audition who opened the premiere, last battle on first FULL episode of battles, and was in the first episode of KOs). Problem is that bodie had three leaks (pimp spot in episode 5 and opened the KOs). And when you look at the live shows, it's pretty clear who got pimped more (both got late performance slots pretty much all the time but closing playoffs signifies the producer's favorite, I think).

In addition to the end of "vote splitting", I think casual votes also don't really decide things at this point; I highly doubt Bryce would have won if casuals really did decide things. Then again, he's the countriest country to ever country, so maybe his Minivan support was so strong that nothing from casuals was ever taking him down. I wonder if Minivan got spooked on seeing him not get PV in playoffs and did everything in their power to make sure he didn't end in the bottom again (not like he was ever gonna, but getting a death spot with a song choice that people thought was a bus and CRUSHING Facebook probably said it all. That's probably where he won, tbh). And if you're thinking casuals carried bodie to the finale, it's because Blake pimping will carry ANYONE to the end.

Edited by MatthewPalermo

On 12/16/2022 at 6:03 PM, QueenMae16 said:

Oh yeah, Morgan was never winning. S22 was Blake dominated all the way through, and that should have been obvious the moment the coaches were revealed (I mean, you have 2 coaches that the core demo hates and a newbie who the core demo INSTANTLY hated). Especially when TCO was on Blake's team and didn't even end up winning because of country singers being overpowered with the voting demo.

Looking back, I think Morgan's ceiling was always 3rd place. Maybe her finale performances cost her, maybe they didn't, because she certainly made things interesting with her breakout semis performance (which I think had most of IDF convinced she was winning, myself included). However, with all the momentum she had, it didn't even get her top 2 in the end. Hell, until semis her Facebook stats were worse than bodie and Bryce by a pretty large margin (and despite a lot of people from what I saw saying that FB mattered less, in nearly all cases this season it matched with the results perfectly, so imo it's still the only reliable way to judge results.)

Edited by MatthewPalermo

I'll join in the "co-TCOs" theory. 

Morgan was shown in various promos from the start and was leaked as the first ever audition, aditionally getting the opening spot in the actual premiere as well. Also featured in every premiere of the three pre-lives rounds, and getting good spots throughout.

bodie was pretty much hidden at the beginning. He wasnt featured in any promos, and they waited to air him in Episode 5. But he got three leaks, so there was obviously pimpage as well. He also recieved great performance spots in the lives.

Look it however you like it, TPTB was all for either of these two to win, Morgan as the first Camila winner and bodie as a supremely different Blake winner.

And then, there's Bryce. At the end of the day, he wasnt pimped as the other two, but TPTB didnt really try to stop him either, so...I guess at the end they just wanted the cowboy happy before he leaves.

Edited by Misirlou

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

I'll join in the "co-TCOs" theory. 

Morgan was shown in various promos from the start and was leaked as the first ever audition, aditionally getting the opening spot in the actual premiere as well. Also featured in every premiere of the three pre-lives rounds, and getting good spots throughout.

bodie was pretty much hidden at the beginning. He wasnt featured in any promos, and they waited to air him in Episode 5. But he got three leaks, so there was obviously pimpage as well. He also recieved great performance spots in the lives.

Look it however you like it, TPTB was all for either of these two to win, Morgan as the first Camila winner and bodie as a supremely different Blake winner.

And then, there's Bryce. At the end of the day, he wasnt pimped as the other two, but TPTB didnt really try to stop him either, so...I guess at the end they just wanted the cowboy happy before he leaves.

Bryce’s win was similar to Chevel’s. No pimping, and probably easier than any of us realize. Except Chevel didn’t need the instant save. The fact that Bryce needed that is still a bit puzzling. 

4 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Bryce’s win was similar to Chevel’s. No pimping, and probably easier than any of us realize. Except Chevel didn’t need the instant save. The fact that Bryce needed that is still a bit puzzling. 

He gave a weak performance in the playoffs (the weakest of the team IMO, even over Brayden), but Minivan usually lets that slide for country guys. Interestingly, they didn´t here. 

3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

He gave a weak performance in the playoffs (the weakest of the team IMO, even over Brayden), but Minivan usually lets that slide for country guys. Interestingly, they didn´t here. 

I think it’s possible that Brayden was the highest vote-getter that night, and Bodie’s great performance + pimp spot was enough to get him the 2nd slot. Then I guess Brayden just lost momentum throughout the lives while Bryce gained more and more.