What songs do you think the contestants should consider covering for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame night?

Winterfan

Well, even though a couple of my favorite contestants have been eliminated due to not performing as well as they needed to and poor song choices, there are still contestants left in the top 14 that I really like and am wondering what types of songs they should consider singing for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame night. As I write quite often about the songs I'd like to see the contestants cover, I hope they pick one to sing that hasn't been covered to death before. It also should be a song that a large majority of the audience is familiar with. Janet Jackson and Madonna are both in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So I think the female contestants would be wise to consider singing some of their songs instead of a Whitney Houston song. I feel This Used to Be My Playground by Madonna could be a good song for someone to cover. Also, if a female has to cover a Blondie song, I think a cover of Heart Of Glass might go over better than yet another cover of Call Me. I'd love to hear a female possibly cover Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) by Kate Bush as well. I don't think any of the contestants could go wrong potentially singing a Beatles song. But, I would at least try to avoid singing Imagine if I were them. And if I were the contestants, I'd definitely avoid singing House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals and I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt at all costs. Anyway, those are just some thoughts I have as of right now regarding some of the types of songs I think the contestants should consider covering for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Night. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the types of songs they feel the contestants should sing for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Night.

I'd like to hear some real rock songs, instead of it being this free format since R&R HOF inducts other genre's artists. 

I am sure there's gonna be several country and or stripped back versions of rock songs. 

I want some James Durbin/Caleb Johnson type rock and roll performances.

1 minute ago, rockerannah said:

I'd like to hear some real rock songs, instead of it being this free format since R&R HOF inducts other genre's artists. 

I am sure there's gonna be several country and or stripped back versions of rock songs. 

Not me.  It’s just not my cup of tea.

31 minutes ago, rockerannah said:

agreed! We's performance of Something's Got A Hold On Me last season was the performance of the season for me because of the rock inspired arrangement and vocals. Hopefully more contestants do that this year! 

• Like 3

Nya needs to pick something she can sink her teeth into or else she’s toast. She probably will be regardless but she definitely has the chops to pull off a strong rock performance. 

For Will, I’d suggest “Hurt” by Johnny Cash. I’d even suggest it to McKenna who I think could do a beautiful cover of it. 

24 minutes ago, idolfan1234 said:

Kayko is also reportedly trying to work with the producers where he uses the chorus of a popular rocksong and does original lyrics in the verses.

he's so quirky and unique for not being able to sing a cover 🤪

in all seriousness he would probably lose support rather than gain it if he did that. Minivan likely won't support people messing with their classics (also i'm shocked he thinks he has the songwriting prowess to pull something like that off...)

17 minutes ago, m1key said:

in all seriousness he would probably lose support rather than gain it if he did that. Minivan likely won't support people messing with their classics (also i'm shocked he thinks he has the songwriting prowess to pull something like that off...)

Yeah, Kayko should probably just avoid trying to mess with classics even if he’s not so good (or so comfortable) with covers.

1 hour ago, m1key said:

don’t know where y’all are getting all of this but it’s absolutely not true😭 and damn why are you always throwing jabs at him like it’s your job or something like chill out please i beg you

10 hours ago, m1key said:

agreed! We's performance of Something's Got A Hold On Me last season was the performance of the season for me because of the rock inspired arrangement and vocals. Hopefully more contestants do that this year! 

While I certainly would like to see more of a James Durbin/Caleb Johnson rock and roll type of performance, I'm just real skeptical that any of the current contestants could pull something like that off, especially since most of them seem to struggle covering more upbeat songs. Anyway, I really appreciate that people responded to this thread. And I enjoyed reading about what types of songs people feel that the contestants should consider singing for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m1key said:

I really enjoyed that performance from We as well.

15 minutes ago, Winterfan said:

While I certainly would like to see more of a James Durbin/Caleb Johnson rock and roll type of performance, I'm just real skeptical that any of the current contestants could pull something like that off, especially since most of them seem to struggle covering more upbeat songs. Anyway, I really appreciate that people responded to this thread. And I enjoyed reading about what types of songs people feel that the contestants should consider singing for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame night.

If you're wanting rock screams, none of these contestants can do it. Mia is probably the only one who is even remotely comfortable doing something upbeat without it requiring a lot more effort than usual from that contestant, so your best hope is her.

Edited by MalwareDie

Posted (edited)

I have a few more thoughts regarding what songs I feel some of the Top 14 contestants should consider singing for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Night. I think Nya could do a great job covering the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child O' Mine. I think she'd also sound good covering a Donna Summer song, like No More Tears, if she really commits to the performance. And I think McKenna could do a good job covering Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac, The First Cut is the Deepest by Sheryl Crow or On The Radio by Donna Summer, should she sing it at a slower tempo.

Edited by Winterfan

3 hours ago, Winterfan said:

I have a few more thoughts regarding what songs I feel some of the Top 14 contestants should consider singing for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Night. I think Nya could do a great job covering the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child O' Mine. I think she'd also sound good covering a Donna Summer song, like No More Tears, if she really commits to the performance. And I think McKenna could do a good job covering Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac, The First Cut is the Deepest by Sheryl Crow or On The Radio by Donna Summer, should she sing it at a slower tempo.

What about Abi?

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

What about Abi?

While I know it has been covered quite a bit already, I really do think she'd do a great job singing Creep by Radiohead. I think she'd also do a great job covering Yesterday by The Beatles. However, if she wants to cover a song that hasn't been covered quite as much before, I think she could do a great job covering Ordinary World by Duran Duran, Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) by Kate Bush, This Used to Be My Playground by Madonna or Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by the Eurythmics. I've also thought it might be interesting for her to possibly cover We've Got Tonight by Bob Seger since it was covered on Glee by Lea Michele's character. Oh, and I think Come Undone by Duran Duran would be a great song for KB to possibly cover, too.

1 hour ago, Winterfan said:

While I know it has been covered quite a bit already, I really do think she'd do a great job singing Creep by Radiohead. I think she'd also do a great job covering Yesterday by The Beatles. However, if she wants to cover a song that hasn't been covered quite as much before, I think she could do a great job covering Ordinary World by Duran Duran, Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) by Kate Bush, This Used to Be My Playground by Madonna or Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by the Eurythmics. I've also thought it might be interesting for her to possibly cover We've Got Tonight by Bob Seger since it was covered on Glee by Lea Michele's character. Oh, and I think Come Undone by Duran Duran would be a great song for KB to possibly cover, too.

Ooh, I love “Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)”!  Especially since Neil and Sabre from the third season of “So You Think You Can Dance” did an awesome Jazz dance to that song!  “Creep”, “Yesterday” and “We’ve Got Tonight” would also work well for Abi.  I also like “Drive”, which Angela suggested.

59 minutes ago, idolfan1234 said:

I am told Kayko scrapped his original idea of using the choruses for "I love rock and roll" and adding his original verses about the music he writes. Not sure if he was told no or it just didn't work.

Kayko was likely told no 'cause he isn't a producer favourite. I reckon if it was one of the more popular female contestants or Triston making that request that they'd agree to it.

The producers want a girl winning this season, but if Triston happens to be a force that can't be defeated, they won't fight back on that. Triston is probably the only male winner they'd be okay with.

Edited by MalwareDie

17 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

Kayko was likely told no 'cause he isn't a producer favourite. I reckon if it was one of the more popular female contestants or Triston making that request that they'd agree to it.

The producers want a girl winning this season, but if Triston happens to be a force that can't be defeated, they won't fight back on that. Triston is probably the only male winner they'd be okay with.

Changing the lyrics to a classic song would be a negative thing imo, so I feel like producers would want him to do that if they wanted him out?

I agree they want a girl but not sure this is a strong point lol.

14 minutes ago, m1key said:

Changing the lyrics to a classic song would be a negative thing imo, so I feel like producers would want him to do that if they wanted him out?

I agree they want a girl but not sure this is a strong point lol.

Yeah if he changed the lyrics to I Love Rock and Roll it would have been a disaster lol. So lucky for him they did not allow it lol.