Updated At Last: Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions - #10-6 POSTED!

Someone648

18 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

182 - This had to be a good cover of a song from a trash band so I'm thinking Vanessa Ferguson auditioning with The Chainsmokers.

Yeah but it says no one ever audition with that group again, but S18 No Chair Chrissy Joly sang the same song. 

Edited by erik g
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

188: I rewatched this contestant's performances to be sure and she definitely WAS worthy (of going further!)

I think this artist is from Season 11. Firstly, I was confused with the emphasis on WAS and then I remembered that there was a duo from Season 11 that if you make an acronym out of their name, it will be spelled as WAS. This could be Whitney and Shannon, who sang "Landslide" and turned all 4 chairs. They definitely deserved to move on further. 

Edited by Dalton Eduardo

2 minutes ago, Dalton Eduardo said:

I think this artist is from Season 11. Firstly, I was confused with the emphasis on WAS and then I remembered that there was a duo from Season 11 that if you make an acronym out of their name, it will be spelled as WAS. This could be Whitney and Shannon, who sang "Landslide" and turned all 4 chairs. They definitely deserved to move on further. 

It seems a little suspicious though that Someone648 used the pronoun “she” for the duo… otherwise this seems like a solid take.

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

188: I rewatched this contestant's performances to be sure and she definitely WAS worthy (of going further!)

My first instinct is Courtney Harrell, who showed herself to be worthy of making the finale with her pre-lives and particulalry KO, but struggled in the lives, hence the “was.”

That being said, not sure her audition was noteworthy enough to make the top 200?

1 minute ago, QueenCami said:

It seems a little suspicious though that Someone648 used the pronoun “she” for the duo… otherwise this seems like a solid take.

Yeah, because if he's gonna be using the "THEY" pronoun, the proper verb to be used will be "WERE" which will not lead him to his clue on "WAS". 

11 minutes ago, Dalton Eduardo said:

Wasn’t my intention with the acronym but you’ve just given inspiration for future clues so thank you 😇

No duo/trio in this set of 10 though.

I’ll say this was one was the hardest clue of the whole set to come up with so if anyone picks up what I was trying to do with 188, bless them.

• Like 1

As for this set the only one I remember not liking was Jessie (sorry lol) although I did like some of her performances later on. Midas Whale wasn’t really my thing either but they weren’t bad.

Ryan was so good he definitely deserved to be in the lives. Anatalia was good too just not that memorable but I did like her KO.

3 hours ago, nytsch said:

Ryan was so good he definitely deserved to be in the lives. Anatalia was good too just not that memorable but I did like her KO.

Those middle seasons remain my favorites! 😇

21 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Hear-ye-hear-ye GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Clues for Part 2: (190-181)

Blue: Season 2 - Season 6 (The early days)

Green: Season 7 - Season 12 (The middle seasons) 

Red: Season 13 - Season 17 (The seasons that kind of felt like a vibe shift)

Purple: Season 18 - Season 23 (The common/COVID/Post(?)-COVID era)

190: Celine? Gaga? Way to tackle icons. - Johnny Gates

189: The coaches that turned revealed some of their vices based on the lyrics when they each turned. - Maye Thomas

188: I rewatched this contestant's performances to be sure and she definitely WAS worthy (of going further!) - No idea

187: He wanted the chairs to turn, he got 'em, and got something else, too (forever!) - Rio Souma or John Holiday?

186: One coach's favorite performance "ever" on the show - Judith Hill

185: One coach's "unfiltered" comment wouldn't fly in 2023 - Noah Mac 

184: Kelsey!? -  Jackie Verna

183: Not so fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again - MacKenzie Bourg

182: Fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again - Hunter Plake

181: This contestant is a certified Genius. - James Wolpert

21 hours ago, FloorWax said:

183 - First thing that came to mind was Alaska & Madi covering The Civil Wars. We are in desperate need for more covers of their songs.

iirc, Chance Peña covered this song too, but we don't care about him 💅

If "Safe and Sound" counts, then this will be invalid.

23 hours ago, Someone648 said:

There are two female AA powerhouses I think fit this clue. One was cut during the battles and the other was eliminated during the knockouts. 

Could this be Maiya Sykes or Toia Jones from Season 7. They both deserved going further. 

Please note: Not all videos are available on YouTube. If I can't find it there, I'll link it as the artist's name and song title.

Awarding one point to the first comment I see guess something correctly.

Part 2: 190-181

190: Johnny Gates (Season 12, Maggie May by Rod Stewart)

This is the kind of guy I love seeing on the show. Confident, raspy tones with power (but not too much). Combine that with his really fun song choices, it's a pity we didn't see him go much further. He was worth a steal in KO's, and I would've enjoyed seeing him go past playoffs despite being a comeback.

190: Celine? Gaga? Way to tackle icons.

Refers to his unexpected song/artist picks in the following 2 rounds. Can't forget that he also had Selena Gomez in that mix, too.

189: Maye Thomas (Season 11, Roses by The Chainsmokers)

I'll throw around the word "unique" around quite a bit on this list, but Maye's probably one of the best examples of this. She turned this throwaway song (okay, actually I guess the song kinda does go hard in the right circumstance) into a proper blind audition with her own "unique" style and it made it a genuinely pleasant listen. This is one audition that I just think exceeds the original, vocally at least.

189: The coaches that turned revealed some of their vices based on the lyrics when they each turned.

Adam turned at the drinking line, Miley turned at the weed line. We made jokes about it.

188. Toia Jones (Season 7, One and Only by Adele)

Watch The Voice Highlight: Toia Jones Audition: "One and Only" - NBC.com

Reflecting on this pick made me rewatch her whole run and she was WRONGED. I preferred her in the battle and her in the KO, but guess they weren't ready for her. Adele covers rarely live up to the expectation and end up forgotten, but Toia's cover sticks out to me just based on the confidence and sincerity we hear in her voice. 100% deserved better.

The "WAS" is just emphasis, the clue refers to the "I promise I'm worthy..." lyric in the song.

Points @Dalton Eduardo

187: Rio Souma (Season 19, Cruisin' by Smokey Robinson)

This is just one of those songs that when you nail it, it's glorious - and Rio accomplished just that! Just the right amount of  confidence and swagger combined with just he right amount of moments throughout the song. Awesome. Zaxai's version in Season 15 is still my favorite, but Rio made a great first impression here!

187: He wanted the chairs to turn, he got 'em, and got something else, too (forever!)

Play on the "And if you want it, you got it, foreverrrr" lyrics; he got the chairs to turn and found his husband (John Holiday) on the show as well!

186: Dawn & Hawkes (Season 6, I've Just Seen A Face by The Beatles)

I realize I said there were no duos in this group and I must apologize for that mistake, when I wrote that I completely disregarded this and assumed it was higher for a second. Sorry about that! But back to the performance - just loved the harmonies here and how genuine they sounded together. We throw that word around a lot with duos/couples, but it's true for this audition - their vocals complement each other so well. Maybe that's why they're still together after all these years. Can't say that about all of the other duos we had in earlier seasons (we'll save all that for the gossip thread though!)

186: One coach's favorite performance "ever" on the show

Adam referred to their blind as his favorite ever (at the time)

185: Noah Mac (Season 13, Way Down We Go by KALEO)

Did y'all think my all-time favorite would make the top 20? Nope! In fact, I wasn't fully onboard with him at the beginning of his run. It wasn't until listening to this a few years later that I fully appreciated this blind.  Great intro to his tone and style, which evolved and developed phenomenally throughout the show. As someone who still keeps up with his music, it's like watching one of your favorite singers do a college talent show or be on one of the side stages at a festival before they blow up. Waiting for him to make more music though! It's been awhile.

185: One coach's "unfiltered" comment wouldn't fly in 2023

Miley called him "hot" seconds after he said he was 17. She'd get more backlash for that today.

184: Lucas Holliday (Season 13, This Woman's Work by Maxwell)

Frasier BODIED that, man. The fact that even the video title refers to him as "White Guy Lucas Holliday" is so funny. He pick a tall order of a song and made a great moment with it, and then an even greater moment by singing with JHud. This whole interaction was just hilarious, but let's not let the interaction overshadow the quality of his performance. Just great overall!

184: Kelsey!?

The Blake comment that he looks like Frasier (aka Kelsey Grammer) is not wrong at all :haha:

183: Jonny Gray (Season 5, All These Things That I've Done by The Killers)

A different vocal take on a song that I hold very near and dear to my heart. Jonny's vocals here provide power in a different way than the original, yet there's still a fantastic strong emotional connection here that brings a refreshing aura to this track. He got a bit lost in the shuffle in his season, but just a great, great audition overall.

183: Not so fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again

It's sad, but true.

Points: None. Lowkey shocked and a little hurt no one got this one but oh well.

182: Hunter Plake (Season 12, Carry On by fun.)

Another one of my all-time favorites (despite the past years being a bit rough :haha: ) gave a fantastic introduction on the show and only went upwards from there. Outstanding tone, awesome vibrato, and phenomenal musical style throughout the show. Not every bit of the blind was perfect, but it still checked pretty much every box for me. Wish we had an artist like him (or Noah) every season, but it's been very scarce over the past few years.

182: Fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again

Get it? "fun." fact? Heh. Also it's true, no one else has auditioned with fun. since then. 

181: James Wolpert (Season 5, Love Interruption by Jack White)

The Voice recap: 4-chair turns for Matthew Schuler and James Wolpert | The  Star

(it doesn't let me embed the video? Oh well.)

The early seasons of this show gave us great rock/alternative acts. What the hell happened to that? There was a lot of fun chaos in this performance and he delivered those vocals with a powerful punch while not looking AT ALL the part. This is one of those classic moments on the show where the voice doesn't match the way the performer looks and it's great. Remember when the show was about that? Good times, good times.

181: This contestant is a certified Genius.

He worked at the Apple store at the Genius bar. And he definitely looked like that, too. 

Also paging @Teraginnjust to piss him off a little more

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 3

• Someone648 changed the title to Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions (Part 2: 190-181 Results POSTED!)
Just now, Someone648 said:

183: Jonny Gray (Season 5, All These Things That I've Done by The Killers)

A different vocal take on a song that I hold very near and dear to my heart. Jonny's vocals here provide power in a different way than the original, yet there's still a fantastic strong emotional connection here that brings a refreshing aura to this track. He got a bit lost in the shuffle in his season, but just a great, great audition overall.

183: Not so fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again

It's sad, but true.

Points: None. Lowkey shocked and a little hurt no one got this one but oh well.

I feel bad too for not guessing this one. It was very obvious:dead:

• Haha 1

I liked Rio's, Dawn and Hawkes, Noah Mac's, and Hunter's auditions. Thought they all did a good job.

I personally would have James Wolpert really really high ~ one of my all time fav auditions. His vocals were insane, and I dig his tone as well.

Noah's audition was okay, I liked his later performances more. Now Lucas was actually really good there, I wish he had kept that level of performance.

Good for Jonny and James too. Hunter... that was honestly the one performance of his I really didn't like (I would actually say it was almost bad imo). He tried to go for the big powerful vocals there and to me that was a major mismatch with his voice. I was so shocked how much better he did in the battles and he kept that level throughout so I had to stan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

Noah's audition was okay, I liked his later performances more. Now Lucas was actually really good there, I wish he had kept that level of performance.

Good for Jonny and James too. Hunter... that was honestly the one performance of his I really didn't like (I would actually say it was almost bad imo). He tried to go for the big powerful vocals there and to me that was a major mismatch with his voice. I was so shocked how much better he did in the battles and he kept that level throughout so I had to stan.

Yeah for Noah and Hunter there was huuuuuge growth. I wasn’t 100% sure about them ranking bc I’d ignored their auditions for so long, but I found them much more enjoyable a few years later.

A fan of most of these performances.

Personally consider Toia's audition her weakest performance, but that speaks more to how good she becomes later. Still can't believe she had to be stolen in the battles and ontop of that, was eliminated in the KOs.

Both Noah and Hunter were much better later on, but nonetheless solid introductions. Just enough to get them a few chair turns, but a lot more to show for after.

Lucas was great. Not as high on it as I was back then but there's no denying the man can sing. Unfortunately he went on a gradual decline.

Maye made the most out of a meh song. I didn't like the performance as much near the end but that's more the song then her 

Never listened to Johnny gates and Jonny west before. Their the type of contestants that make a season more interesting. Too bad their type almost never make it to the lives. Dawn and Hawkes performance was cute.

12 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Never listened to Johnny gates and Jonny west before. Their the type of contestants that make a season more interesting. Too bad their type almost never make it to the lives. Dawn and Hawkes performance was cute.

And we rarely ever get their type anymore :/

Season 24/25 fingers crossed we can change that. 

• istersay changed the title to Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions (Part 2: 190-181 Results Posted!)
3 minutes ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

@Someone648 do we get new clues?

We’ll have to figure out exactly how we reveal things but I would definitely like to. From the info we do have, we don’t really know who’s on what season for sure since both seasons are presumably there at the same time lol

WAIT I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE SPOILER THREAD MY BAD LOL

I’m on a trip rn and don’t get back til tomorrow, so I’ll try for afternoon tomorrow but can’t guarantee!

Edited by Someone648
  • Thanks 1