American Idol Season 22 Spoilers - Presented By The Idol Pad

Idol Maniac

9 hours ago, ptebwwong said:

Gabby & Chayce are the only one's that have some success post-Idol who were Top 12 finalists for ABC Idol. The other ABC Idol contestants such as Benson Boone, Lauren Spencer-Smith, Maddie Zahm, etc. were on the show, but all of them really blew up from TikTok. 

benson got his record deal bc of his idol audition tho. so that’s pretty big imo. 

4 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

benson got his record deal bc of his idol audition tho. so that’s pretty big imo. 

It was because he had a huge following on Tik-Tok.  It's why he was recruited for the show.

yeah as much as Benson tries to disassociate himself from being on Idol he wouldn't have gotten the deal without it AND i also see constant before/after "transformation" TikTok's with pics of him on Idol and then pics of him now. many people are aware he was on the show. 

9 hours ago, m1key said:

hmmm that also made me realize that if Abi were to win, i'd say she would be the winner with the most non-minivan friendly song choices of all The Voice and Idol winners. as of now I'd say it's Gina Miles (and even then her song choices don't feel very risky at all compared to Abi's.)

If she wins, we can say that you no longer need to primarily do minivan-friendly songs in order to win.

Posted (edited)

Questions about the originals released by the top 5:

- When do they come out?

- Are they ever self penned originals, or is it usually just rejects given to them by the producers and/or label?

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, m1key said:

yeah as much as Benson tries to disassociate himself from being on Idol he wouldn't have gotten the deal without it AND i also see constant before/after "transformation" TikTok's with pics of him on Idol and then pics of him now. many people are aware he was on the show. 

You don't know that for sure.  Besides, it's a moot point.  Because it wasn't Idol fans who blew up his career.  He was clearly not a favorite on IDF; that he couldn't sing, not a good song writer, etc.

9 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

- When do they come out?

- Are they ever self penned originals, or is it usually just rejects given to them by the producers and/or label?

For S16, it was either just prior to the finale or right after it. It was only the Top 3 who had singles.

For S17, they didn't release the singles until after the winner was revealed. I think S18 did the same, but I can't remember.

For S19, they released singles for the entire Top 7 shortly after the Top 7 episode aired.

For S20, it was the Friday prior to the Top 5 episode.

Last season, they did singles for the entire Top 5 but they weren't released until the Friday before the finale.

They've stated that they're songs written for the contestants, but that could just be a story they say. (For example, Nicolina's in S20 was a cover, iirc.) The contestants are allowed to be involved in the writing process if they choose. So far, only one coronation single has been entirely written by the contestant themself:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elliott said:

For S16, it was either just prior to the finale or right after it. It was only the Top 3 who had singles.

For S17, they didn't release the singles until after the winner was revealed. I think S18 did the same, but I can't remember.

For S19, they released singles for the entire Top 7 shortly after the Top 7 episode aired.

For S20, it was the Friday prior to the Top 5 episode.

Last season, they did singles for the entire Top 5 but they weren't released until the Friday before the finale.

They've stated that they're songs written for the contestants, but that could just be a story they say. (For example, Nicolina's in S20 was a cover, iirc.) The contestants are allowed to be involved in the writing process if they choose. So far, only one coronation single has been entirely written by the contestant themself:

And that is his platinum single that just hit #1 on country radio. Great decision by him. 

Thanks for the info. I think it would make more sense to release all of them before the top 5 episode, but maybe they’re not always able to get them done in time. 

Just now, TeamAudra said:

Thanks for the info. I think it would make more sense to release all of them before the top 5 episode, but maybe they’re not always able to get them done in time. 

I think that was probably the initial intent post-S18 (as evidenced by how early they did them for S19/S20), but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to keep waiting until around the finale to prevent another S19 situation.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, itsamansw said:

Jack for the W. Trust trust I have predicted this since his “Rainbow” performance. TRUSTTTTTTT HES GONNA WIN TRUSTTTTTTTTTT

At this point, either him, Abi, or Will, will get my votes. 

Edited by BlkCountryFan

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Are they ever self penned originals, or is it usually just rejects given to them by the producers and/or label?

Chayce Beckham is reportedly the first American Idol winner to release a self-penned song as his winner's single. Chayce wrote the autobiographical song in 2020 when he was living in California around the beginning of the COVID pandemic. He performed "23" for the Top 4 episode on 05/16/21. It was released on 05/21/21 as his debut single and topped the iTunes chart. Chayce won American Idol s19 on 05/23/21.

On 01/23/23, "23" was released to country radio as the lead single from his debut album. It went from No. 6 to No. 1 on Billboard's Country Airplay chart dated 04/06/24, becoming his first list leader. He's only the fourth Idol winner to top that chart. (Carrie Underwood has done it 16 times, Scotty McCreery five times, and Kelly Clarkson one time.)

It's only the sixth Billboard Country Airplay No. 1 by a solo writer in the past decade. Prior to "23," the last No. 1 on the Country Airplay chart solely written by the recording artist was "Ours" by Taylor Swift in 2012.

2 minutes ago, rockerannah said:

Leah Marlene got 3rd place her seasons but her "finale/coronation song" Flowers was written by her.

Yeah I remember that too.

Hopefully they will let Abi perform her new single "It's all Love" during the finale. I would love to see her perform that live.

10 minutes ago, Floaty said:

Yeah I remember that too.

Hopefully they will let Abi perform her new single "It's all Love" during the finale. I would love to see her perform that live.

Abi would 100% lose if that was one of her song choices. She needs better material to work with.

20 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

original songs round never make any effects on the voting. iam's original was the worst song ever and he still won. same with noah. 

Both Noah and Iam were dominant front runners. And notably, Leah had an emotional breakdown during her performance which prevented her from performing her song to its full potential. On a competitive season like this one, even the original songs round will matter.

i think more than the originals, disney week will be a dealbreaker this season. there is not a lot of room to brilliance but there's a LOT of room to trainwrecks. i'm 100 confident wé lost her spot at finale last season bc of her disney songs. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

i think more than the originals, disney week will be a dealbreaker this season. there is not a lot of room to brilliance but there's a LOT of room to trainwrecks. i'm 100 confident wé lost her spot at finale last season bc of her disney songs. 

We was last or close to last in FB reacts last season at the top 5 point, so it was no surprise that she was cut.

I think Abi mentioned something about really having her eye on When She Loved Me, so if that's one of her songs, it won't be a train wreck as she can feasibly sing it as a dedication to a departed relative. If she chooses well on her other song as well, she should be good for getting into the Top 3.

Edited by MalwareDie

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

I think Abi mentioned something about really having her eye on When She Loved Me, so if that's one of her songs, it won't be a train wreck as she can feasibly sing it as a dedication to a departed relative. If she chooses well on her other song as well, she should be good for getting into the Top 3.

yeah, you can't really go wrong with "when she loved me" and sarah mclaghlan is a perfect fit for her voice. i don't know what i would have her singing for her 2nd one but i think she could nail "speechless" from the live-action of aladdin. someone suggested reflection yesterday and i really like that as well since it hasn't been done on a disney week yet i don't think. 

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wait a second... Creep is featured on "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3" (Iam did a song from Volume 2 last season). The song plays throughout the entirety of the opening scene of the movie. If she does this for one of her 2 songs, her spot in the finale is locked IMO.

Edited by wildestinvegas