The Voice vs. American Idol

Raquel01

i feel like you can't even accurately compare them at this point, just because of the fact that Idol has had so many more rounds of live performances (and more performances in general). The Voice contestants have it easier because they only need 2 solo live performances (in Bryan's case, 3) to make the Finale and they don't have to worry as much about being viewed as a one trick pony. though on the other hand, I'd also say they have the disadvantage of not being able to show off the complexities of their artistry due to the limited performances. 

for example, someone like Nathan definitely benefits from the shortened format. if it was longer, people would start to feel he is a gimmick act imo. meanwhile, i feel artists like Asher and Karen would benefit more from a longer format to highlight their versatility. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, m1key said:

i feel like you can't even accurately compare them at this point, just because of the fact that Idol has had so many more rounds of live performances (and more performances in general). The Voice contestants have it easier because they only need 2 solo live performances (in Bryan's case, 3) to make the Finale and they don't have to worry as much about being viewed as a one trick pony. though on the other hand, I'd also say they have the disadvantage of not being able to show off the complexities of their artistry due to the limited performances. 

for example, someone like Nathan definitely benefits from the shortened format. if it was longer, people would start to feel he is a gimmick act imo. meanwhile, i feel artists like Asher and Karen would benefit more from a longer format to highlight their versatility. 

Voice contestants definitely have it easier in terms of workload. But AI contestants have way more time to showcase the full extent of their abilities than TV contestants.

And having one bad song choice/performance for TV contestants is way worse than for AI contestants.

7 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

And I would rank Emmy above all of the Voice people.:dead:

Fair enough lol.

Edited by Hsamid

The top 3 could be interesting to compare/rank though. Josh> Will for sure. This one would be close but maybe a slight edge to Karen > Abi.  Then Jack vs Asher or Nathan I wouldn't even know where to start or how to rank them. :dead:

watching the difference of how idol treat its finalists vs the voice treats theirs is truly jarring. idol is constantly posting personal content of the finalists throughout finale week across social media and getting people invested on their every step. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I’m a die-hard Idol fan. Have been since Season 4. The show has gone through some seriously horrific times but I love that it has bounced back. There were people saying that the reboot was gonna be canceled after one season. It’s now been renewed for Season 8. Idol is the better show by a landslide as far as getting you invested in the contestants. People wanted to see single mom Fantasia’s dream come true. And Iam’s touching story about losing his dad resonated with millions of people. 

I have watched The Voice since the very first episode of the very first season. I used to LOVE it. It had interesting singers that Idol would’ve never cast back in the day. There have been some incredible vocalists on this show. But I’ve never been emotionally connected to anyone in the same way that I have with Idol. It’s just too much about the coaches and their competition with each other. This current season is probably the worst season of any singing show I have ever watched. I find it painful to get through. Seasons 12-14 of Idol were rouuuugh but even they had at least one standout per season. This season of The Voice feels so thrown together and cheap. I love the Coach lineup for Season 26, so I’m hoping that it’ll be much more enjoyable. 

TLDR: I’m a big fan of both shows but American Idol is the show I grew up with. There’s no question that it is the show you should go on if you want a platform to potentially become a famous artist (even though it obviously doesn’t guarantee success like the very early seasons did.)

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Maybe im in the minority here, but it's never been that important for me to feel an emotional connection to a contestant other than in their performances.

And when I do like a contestants personality or relate to their backstory, it's not to the point where i'll vote (if i could anyways..) for them because of it and in spite of performance quality.

Also, I don't wanna take away from the contestant stories, im not questioning their authenticity. But the way it's filmed and edited (especially ABC Idol) kinda turns me off most of the time, and certain scenarios feel manufactured.  Idk, maybe I'm just a cold, heartless bastard lol.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

Excessive pimping and pushing back stories tends to have the opposite effect with me. It’s fine in the intro, but when they keep going down that road in subsequent episodes, I get turned off by it. 

If you don’t have a compelling backstory, Idol will probably give you a weak edit, or just cut you. However, if they really like you, they will probably figure something out, whether it be an eating disorder, depression, anxiety….if you dig deep enough, everyone has something, and these backstories are easy to embellish. For example, they portrayed Abi as a high school dropout, which she was not. She had been homeschooled all her life, decided to attend a public school for one year, and subsequently returned to homeschooling. She actually has a college degree, yet there were people on social media criticizing her for being a high school dropout. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hsamid said:

That's what I'm referring to yeah.

Guessing it's 1 season old format for you guys then lol.

I guess the drawback for me is that if you don't like the cast.. well you're gonna have to wait much longer for the next voice season.

True. But if the 1-season is in the fall, there’s always American Idol!

• Like 1

Just now, Hsamid said:

guess the drawback for me is that if you don't like the cast.. well you're gonna have to wait much longer for the next voice season.

Idol can fill the void...sometimes. S20 of Idol definitely didn't fill the void for me, neither did The Voice Norway, The Voice Australia, nothing. 

2022 was overall an awful year for me, especially the first half. It would have been nice to have a season of The Voice to follow at the time, ngl.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

That's what I'm referring to yeah.

Guessing it's 1 season old format for you guys then lol.

I guess the drawback for me is that if you don't like the cast.. well, you're gonna have to wait much longer for the next voice season.

In theory the cast should be better if you only need to find enough people for 1 season a year not 2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

In theory the cast should be better if you only need to find enough people for 1 season a year not 2.

In practice, there is S22 and we ended with Brayden as a finalist. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

Of the Voice T5, only 1 would have even been eligible to audition for Idol (Nathan) and just barely, since he’s 27. The other 4 are all over 30, with Bryan of course, over 50 yo.

Edited by AngelaKD
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 10:41 AM, AngelaKD said:

Of the Voice T5, only 1 would have even been eligible to audition for Idol (Nathan) and just barely, since he’s 27. The other 4 are all over 30, with Bryan of course, over 50 yo.

The two shows obviously operate under two different models, but that’s probably one of the reasons Voice contestants have less potential post-show success. Call it “ageism” if you want. It’s just a fact that the industry considers them “too old.” 

They celebrated Katy's last episode after 7 seasons like a grand graduation.

Kelly deserved better after not getting just a little attention on her final show of her 9-season tenure. She can toss a coin to choose either to come back to The Voice, or to replace Katy on Idol.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:41 PM, AngelaKD said:

Bryan is 49 when the Blinds were filmed. He's 50 now I suppose. Nevertheless, when age comes to matter, Idol can never have Wendy Moten or at least Bryan.

1 minute ago, Kenneth96 said:

Bryan is 49 when the Blinds were filmed. He's 50 now I suppose. Nevertheless, when age comes to matter, Idol can never have Wendy Moten or at least Bryan.

Idol isn't missing out on anything by not having Bryan on their show. :dead:

• Haha 7

$250,000 winner prize for AI compared to 100,000 for The Voice. Just another reason why AI is better for anyone under the age limit lmao.

(Although tbf AI is much more grueling so it makes sense)

On 2/27/2024 at 6:34 PM, wildestinvegas said:

abi carter is amazing. the control, emotional delivery and colors of her tone (that rasp/cry on her high notes is to die for), whew. guess i will be skipping the voice this season and focusing on idol (like it always happens w every spring season LOL) 

and she won 🥲

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hsamid said:

$250,000 winner prize for AI compared to 100,000 for The Voice. Just another reason why AI is better for anyone under the age limit lmao.

(Although tbf AI is much more grueling so it makes sense)

This 05/23/21 article indicates the AI prize is a little more complicated than that.

https://www.newsweek.com/american-idol-2021-winner-what-do-they-win-prize-record-deal-1593570

Edited by RTV
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK this is so random, but I find it interesting how well received Nathan Chester is.

He's a throwback singer that's been covering old school motown music nearly his entire run, and he has a very cruise ship like stage presence. Hes been a bit one note and gimmicky, but undeniably talented singer

He reminds me of another idol contestant from last season, except replace motown music with rock. Zachariah Smith. But rarely anyone on the idol subforum liked Zachariah lmao. (And ofc there is user overlap)

And honestly, even Zachariah showed more versatility in genre than Nathan did. So idk. Just find it funny how different the reception was for two very gimmick-y acts on here ( I say this as someone who likes Nathan more btw)

if I had to guess, it's because Zachariah's genre (not rock in general, but the specific type he sang) is not as well liked as Nathan's on here

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1