The Voice vs. American Idol

Raquel01

25 minutes ago, RTV said:

He did a pretty good job of summarizing why AI is the superior show, but he left out the fact that Voice contestants almost never have post-show success. The very few recent success stories came from those who didn’t make it very far, which likely means TV had very little to do with it. To be fair, it’s more difficult for AI contestants to break through than it used to be, but at least there’s a feeling that they have a fighting chance. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It really is depressing how few performances Voice contestants get these days as opposed to Idol contestants. If the problem is that NBC won’t give them any more episodes than they do, they can at least speed up the Battle and KO rounds so that the contestants will have more opportunities to perform later in the season. 

Some ideas:

If they insist on pre-taped Playoffs, maybe get rid of the rehearsals and just squeeze all 20 contestants in (y’all have done it before), eliminating one from each team. Then, next week we get a Playoffs Pt. 2 where the Top 16 perform and another contestant is eliminated from each Team.

Then, when we finally get to the Lives, at least let the contestants who get called safe on results night do a little “victory song” like they do on Idol. Just so that results night isn’t an hour of filler with an Instant Save at the end.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, RTV said:

Almost all these points are valid. I sort of disagree with the original songs thing, because i don't really care about original songs on the show,(most of the originals that have been sang on Idol suck anyway:ph34rwave:). But, i get it, it's nice that Idol contestants get the chance of sing their originals on national television. That's great for them.

So, i give you the win Idol watchers, Idol is definitely the superior singing competition.

With that said... 

This part, i mean, uff...

And while The Voice has been increasingly forced to turn to professional musicians in their 30s who haven’t achieved stardom to round out its cast, American Idol is continuing its tradition of introducing us to fresh faces.

To me, it’s just a whole lot more fun watching young artists blossom before your eyes. That’s why, if the two shows air simultaneously, I’m watching Idol and recording The Voice.

The blatant ageism there is sickening. "Old people" (people over 30 are old, i guess) don't deserve the chance to live the dream of sing on stage for millions of people?? Why?? Just because they are not "marketable" enough?? 

Yes, American Idol is superior on most aspects, but let's be happy that there is a singing show that gives people over 28 the chance of getting exposure, so more people can follow their musical careers, even if they never become "stars". 

• Like 6

The coach format is also a built-in limiting factor for Voice contestants, because too many people won’t support a contestant if they’re with a coach they don’t like, or aren’t with their favorite coach. This probably also contributes to hindering their post-show success. 

6 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Almost all these points are valid. I sort of disagree with the original songs thing, because i don't really care about original songs on the show,(most of the originals that have been sang on Idol suck anyway:ph34rwave:). But, i get it, it's nice that Idol contestants get the chance of sing their originals on national television. That's great for them.

So, i give you the win Idol watchers, Idol is definitely the superior singing competition.

With that said... 

And while The Voice has been increasingly forced to turn to professional musicians in their 30s who haven’t achieved stardom to round out its cast, American Idol is continuing its tradition of introducing us to fresh faces.

To me, it’s just a whole lot more fun watching young artists blossom before your eyes. That’s why, if the two shows air simultaneously, I’m watching Idol and recording The Voice.

The blatant ageism there is sickening. "Old people" (people over 30 are old, i guess) don't deserve the chance to live the dream of sing on stage for millions of people?? Why?? Just because they are not "marketable" enough?? 

Yes, American Idol is superior on most aspects, but let's be happy that there is a singing show that gives people over 28 the chance of getting exposure, so more people can follow their musical careers, even if they never become "stars". 

I do think there is room for both shows. Obviously the people over 28 should go on the voice because why not right? And Idol is only on once a year so there is limited spots on that show to begin with. So even people under 28 shouldn't just reject The Voice because some opportunity is better than nothing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i think it's just that NBC is a horrible network with their reality competition shows. AGT has undergone similar, horrible changes. AGT was the first reality competition show i became attached to and it was my favorite for quite a bit. for those who aren't familiar, it had a format of 5 competitive rounds... auditions, judge cuts, quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals. it was perfect! unfortunately, ever since 2022, we now have the dreadful format of 10 audition episodes, 5 semi-final episodes, and a finale. i have basically quit watching because it has become so soulless. i feel the same way about The Voice. 

ABC, on the other hand, has given the fans what they want as far as Idol and Dancing With The Stars go. i feel the most invested i have in years in both shows at the moment. Dancing With The Stars specifically has really been able to tap into the current cultural zeitgeist - it's all over TikTok because of Charli D'Amelio, Xochitl Gomez, Rylee Arnold, etc. so many of my friends IRL watch it to the point where it is something that is frequently brought up in our conversations 💀 

mind you the show was on the verge of cancellation after Season 30, but now it is approaching Season 33 and probably the most dominant reality show on television 🤷‍♂️ it's always possible for any of these shows to expand their demo and make a comeback (we saw it on The Voice with Season 21... but it stopped there?) let's see what the future holds i suppose! 

Edited by m1key

Posted (edited)

Realistically, we are never getting a better format again. The producers want to invest the bare minimum on this show. In fact, they tried to cut a whole season per year, and instead, make a cheap rip-off of Eurovision on the spring. It failed. So, instead, they have been looking for ways to rush the producción of both spring and fall seasons as much as they can (filming both at the same time) while investing as less as they can on having live shows. 

The golden days of The Voice are gone. But at least this format is better than the one we had during the COVID seasons. That was awful. Also, i sort of prefer the coaches making all they decisions on the Playoffs instead of the public. 

It's a good thing that people are accepting that The Voice is just not a show for them anymore, because i doubt it's improving any time soon. You can always watch the fall seasons to fill the void when Idol is off.

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Which show do ya'll think is more diverse in terms of genre and song catalogue

Ofc, Idol has been around much longer. So let's just take the more recent seasons into account.

My first instinct was the voice, i feel like there are more new song choices per season, but I'm honestly not so sure.

Edited by Hsamid

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

Which show do ya'll think is more diverse in terms of genre and song catalogue

Ofc, Idol has been around much longer. So let's just take the more recent seasons into account.

My first instinct was the voice, i feel like there are more new song choices per season, but I'm honestly not so sure.

It's Idol because a lot of contestants sing their original songs. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 12:12 AM, Gustavo527 said:

With that said... 

But  the Voice hasn’t just recently turned to older singers. That’s literally the entire conceit of the show—second chances for singers who have been on the fringes of the industry and give them a platform to break through. The first two winners were over 30 yo.

I’m not disagreeing with the conclusion, but that reason makes no sense given the Voice’s history.

Edited by AngelaKD

i feel like you can't even accurately compare them at this point, just because of the fact that Idol has had so many more rounds of live performances (and more performances in general). The Voice contestants have it easier because they only need 2 solo live performances (in Bryan's case, 3) to make the Finale and they don't have to worry as much about being viewed as a one trick pony. though on the other hand, I'd also say they have the disadvantage of not being able to show off the complexities of their artistry due to the limited performances. 

for example, someone like Nathan definitely benefits from the shortened format. if it was longer, people would start to feel he is a gimmick act imo. meanwhile, i feel artists like Asher and Karen would benefit more from a longer format to highlight their versatility. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, m1key said:

i feel like you can't even accurately compare them at this point, just because of the fact that Idol has had so many more rounds of live performances (and more performances in general). The Voice contestants have it easier because they only need 2 solo live performances (in Bryan's case, 3) to make the Finale and they don't have to worry as much about being viewed as a one trick pony. though on the other hand, I'd also say they have the disadvantage of not being able to show off the complexities of their artistry due to the limited performances. 

for example, someone like Nathan definitely benefits from the shortened format. if it was longer, people would start to feel he is a gimmick act imo. meanwhile, i feel artists like Asher and Karen would benefit more from a longer format to highlight their versatility. 

Voice contestants definitely have it easier in terms of workload. But AI contestants have way more time to showcase the full extent of their abilities than TV contestants.

And having one bad song choice/performance for TV contestants is way worse than for AI contestants.

7 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

And I would rank Emmy above all of the Voice people.:dead:

Fair enough lol.

Edited by Hsamid

I’m a die-hard Idol fan. Have been since Season 4. The show has gone through some seriously horrific times but I love that it has bounced back. There were people saying that the reboot was gonna be canceled after one season. It’s now been renewed for Season 8. Idol is the better show by a landslide as far as getting you invested in the contestants. People wanted to see single mom Fantasia’s dream come true. And Iam’s touching story about losing his dad resonated with millions of people. 

I have watched The Voice since the very first episode of the very first season. I used to LOVE it. It had interesting singers that Idol would’ve never cast back in the day. There have been some incredible vocalists on this show. But I’ve never been emotionally connected to anyone in the same way that I have with Idol. It’s just too much about the coaches and their competition with each other. This current season is probably the worst season of any singing show I have ever watched. I find it painful to get through. Seasons 12-14 of Idol were rouuuugh but even they had at least one standout per season. This season of The Voice feels so thrown together and cheap. I love the Coach lineup for Season 26, so I’m hoping that it’ll be much more enjoyable. 

TLDR: I’m a big fan of both shows but American Idol is the show I grew up with. There’s no question that it is the show you should go on if you want a platform to potentially become a famous artist (even though it obviously doesn’t guarantee success like the very early seasons did.)

• Like 5

Maybe im in the minority here, but it's never been that important for me to feel an emotional connection to a contestant other than in their performances.

And when I do like a contestants personality or relate to their backstory, it's not to the point where i'll vote (if i could anyways..) for them because of it and in spite of performance quality.

Also, I don't wanna take away from the contestant stories, im not questioning their authenticity. But the way it's filmed and edited (especially ABC Idol) kinda turns me off most of the time, and certain scenarios feel manufactured.  Idk, maybe I'm just a cold, heartless bastard lol.

Edited by Hsamid

Excessive pimping and pushing back stories tends to have the opposite effect with me. It’s fine in the intro, but when they keep going down that road in subsequent episodes, I get turned off by it. 

If you don’t have a compelling backstory, Idol will probably give you a weak edit, or just cut you. However, if they really like you, they will probably figure something out, whether it be an eating disorder, depression, anxiety….if you dig deep enough, everyone has something, and these backstories are easy to embellish. For example, they portrayed Abi as a high school dropout, which she was not. She had been homeschooled all her life, decided to attend a public school for one year, and subsequently returned to homeschooling. She actually has a college degree, yet there were people on social media criticizing her for being a high school dropout. LOL

• Like 1