Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Morgan-Freeman-morgan-freeman-38818986-5

I've debated, in the past, cutting Morgan Freeman but I am actually going through it, this time around, with this set of nominations ; Many of whom are actors & actresses that I have enjoyed in plenty of movies and tv shows - it's getting difficult to cut/save/nominate and I am sure it's about to only get tougher.   If you've never hear of Morgan Freeman, you have truly lived under a rock for the most of you life consider that he's an actor who has over 95 movies credited to his, on top of countless of appearances on TV shows and in TV movies. There's no point in listing all of his movies, but he is certainly best known for his roles in movies such as Street Smart, Glory, Lean on Me, Driving Miss Daisy, Shawshank Redemption - probably my first introduction to Morgan as a child, Se7en, Million Dollar Baby - for which he won Best Supporting Actor although he should have been recognized for some of his previous roles, Invictus, and Dark Knight triology.  If you are unfamiliar with his filmography, you certainly know of him for his narrator voice and his distinct voice - he has been cast as the narrator for multiple movies throughout his career, and certainly has one of the most recognizable in the industry. Overall, he is an incredibly talented actor and while I have admiration for him, he's never been a top favourite of mine and he's an easy cut out of these nominations. 

SAVING: MARION COTILLARD

Edited by *Chris
  • Confused 1

ian-mc-kellen-hat-tip.gif

Since I have cut Ian McKellen in the past, and he got saved afterwards, I am not cutting him again so I shall re-use my write-up:  A legend via his work on stage, on television, and on the big screen, Sir Ian McKellen started his career nearly 70 years ago by scoring roles on stage which has earned him multiple Oliver awards including a Tony Award.  He has appeared in multiple movies, but for many of us, he is best known for his portrayal of Gandolf in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbits trilogy - he's absolutely brilliant in the role.  You may have seen him in other movies such as Richard III, Gods and Monsters, X-Men, Da Vinci Code, and Cats.  On television, his role is more limited but he had guest roles in a few series including Coronation Street, as well as many television series.  As mentioned earlier, Ian McKellen is an absolutely legend & often referred to as one of the British cultural icon on top of being a LGBT champions which I will always admire about him especially as he came out during a time that it wasn't always easy being gay & continue to fight for the movement throughout the world. Unfortunately, out of the nominated actors, I feel more comfortable cutting him over the other nominated actors.

SAVING: TATIANA MASLANAY

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 1

Keri Russell

330px-Keri_Russell_(13948636905)_(croppe

Cutting Keri Russell sucks to do because I absolutely love her in The Americans as Eiizabeth Jennings (loyal Soviet queen), and she rightfully earned her nominations for several Primetime Emmy and Golden Globe Awards for it. She's also been in Rise of Skywalker in which she had a minor role. She's also known for being in Felicity (for which she won a Golden Globe Award) and Arrested Development. Alas, neither of these are Tom shows. Other movies she's been in include Mission Impossible III and Waitress. She's over 40 yet still steadily working which pleases me since a lot of actresses have a short shelf life past 40 in Hollywood. Wish her all the continued success!

Save: Helen Mirren

Edited by ~Tom~
  • Sad 2

Taron Egerton

Taron Egerton | Spotify

Taron Egerton is a Welsh actor who I first became acquainted with in the Kingsmen movies. He is the star of these movies which feature a star-studded cast including Colin Firth and Samuel L. Jackson. He did a good job in those and is definitely a charming and talented guy. Besides those, I would say he's most well-known for his (i've heard) excellent portrayal of Elton John in the biopic Rocketman. A movie of which I have not seen surprisingly, but he picked up some awards attention for that and he seems like the perfect person to play that role. Besides that, I'm not really familiar with much else that he's done. He was in Testament of Youth and Eddie the Eagle, neither of which I have heard of. He was also in the 2022 miniseries Black Bird. I think this is a fair spot for someone who's still relatively new to the scene but I definitely see the appeal to him.

Save: Scarlett Johansson

• Sad 2

Patricia Arquette

Patricia Arquette — The Movie Database (TMDB)

I'm actually not the biggest fan of hers, not that I dislike her or anything but I really haven't connected with much she's done and find her acting style to be a little over the top for my tastes. The biggest thing I've liked from her was her role as the mom in Boyhood, but even there I don't think she necessarily gave anything Oscar worthy tbh. She had a fun role in Holes which is of course an iconic movie, but Patricia hasn't really done anything else that I've loved? I mean she is very well decorated, winning an Oscar, Emmy, Golden Globe, SAG, etc. She's done it all and been in a lot of shows and movies over the years. She's also in the new show Severance which is getting a lot of buzz these days (I saw the pilot and still need to get into it). I just think she's an easy cut for me out of this list of nominees.

Save: Ethan Hawke (switching my save)

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, #jeah said:

I'm actually not the biggest fan of hers, not that I dislike her or anything but I really haven't connected with much she's done and find her acting style to be a little over the top for my tastes.

Preach. She’s my least favorite part of Severance tbh.

• Confused 1

Maggie Smith

Downton Abbey Fancy GIF by Sky España

Queen Elizabeth II named Maggie Smith a dame commander of the Order of the British Empire - the female equivalent of a knight - aaaaaall the way back in 1990. That's how long she has been a literal Dame. She and Judi Dench were the masters of British stage theater back in the day. She has been nominated for 6 Academy Awards. She won BEST ACTRESS in 1969 for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. And then she won Best Supporting Actress later in 1978 for California Suite. She has a Tony, 4 Emmys, 5 BAFTAs, 3 Globes, and 5 SAG awards. That is honestly incredible. That means she has the Triple Crown of acting (Tony, Emmy, Oscar). And she has Best Actress (as in, not supporting) for all of them, not that it technically matters but it is fun trivia. Nowadays she's mostly known for Harry Potter and Downton Abbey but she's been killing the game for decades.

Save Daniel Day Lewis

• Sad 1

Anya Taylor-Joy

Happy My Heart GIF by Golden Globes

Anya has a really striking and remarkable look. Do I think she would have gotten famous if she looked more regular? Not really, but who cares? Do whatever you can to get your foot in the door, especially if you have talent to back it up like Anya does. She started in some horror films, the Witch (VVITCH or whatever lol) and then Split/Glass, that M Night thing with McAvoy or whatever that mess was. 2020 was her year, when she was nominated for Emma and also started getting major recognition for her lead role The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, which was one of their more popular shows. There's only been 7 episodes so far and I'm unclear as to whether that's supposed to keep going or not but who knows. She got a Globe for that performance and now is waiting to see if she'll get another one for that new The Menu movie

Save Gary Oldman

Joaquin Phoenix

440px-Joaquin_Phoenix_in_2018.jpg

Sure, Joaquin is a fine actor but I just don't connect with him. I've seen five of his films and I can say he is one of the greatest actors from this time and should probably not get cut right now. Having said, I just don't connect with him and most of the films that I've watched from him, I just don't care for them. Her is definitely my favorite film from him and one that I actually really like. Joker and The Master are overrated films that I do not care about though I admit that he did his role very well on both films. The others two are Hotel Rwanda and Signs and I just don't remember what he did on those. Joaquin also seems to be one of those annoying method actors and he looks like he is probably very difficult to work with (that's just me assuming stuff). Sorry to any fans but I think no one really care for him that much as he was just left there.

Saving Hugh Laurie

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Alicia Vikander

440px-Alicia_Vikander_-_Tokyo_International_Film_Festival_2019_(49013506278)_(cropped).jpg

Alicia Vikander is an actress that I really really love and one that I wouldn't be cutting right now but I also was left with other two actors that I also really love so I had to make the hard decision to let her go and to be fair my love for her comes for only two of her performances, Ex-Machina and The Danish Girl. I find the Danish Girl boring and not that great of a film but Alicia really did well there and deservedly won an Oscar for it. Ex-Machina is probably her most iconic role and she was incredible there, she should have been nominated for that role as well. Oh I remember now that she also did The Man from U.N.C.L.E., that was a fun film and one that I was hoping would get a sequel but that never happened. I haven't kept up with her newest roles so no idea what she's been up to. 

Saving Imelda Staunton

• Sad 3

CYCLE 4: NORMAL ROUND

4a5c46e5969513f7a073d20afb164888da6dc46f.jpg

NOMINATION ORDER

tFFmxjq.png

This round will be a standard nomination cycle.

When it is your turn to nominate, you will nominate 10 actors/actresses for elimination. The other rankers will cut and save at a first come, first serve basis. The time limit to post write-ups is 30 minutes. You're allowed to refresh only once before the time limit expires.

If you do not post your write-up within 24 hours without requesting an extension, then another ranker (including the nominator) can swoop in and claim the cut/save.

If you don't post your nominations within 24 hours without requesting an extension, then the randomizer will decide.

Note that the people can now be nominated in back-to-back rounds. Actors/Actresses saved will not be immune the following round.

Derek is nominating first this cycle. By the end of this cycle, we will be down 30 people.

If you have any questions, then let me know.

Good luck to your favorites!

@Alex95 @#jeah @*Chris @FrogLenzen @.Rei @~Tom~

I won't be strict with deadlines since it's Christmas weekend. It's fine if you would rather wait until Monday to get the round started; I'll let the rankers decide. But I posted the next cycle details in case you wanted to keep the game going this weekend.