Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952aa4c6f100e21e403e976842c1871a4de5ced5d9e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I believe that is has been obvious that Adam Sandler is an actor that I particularly don't care for ; I know that some people may like him but his movies never really been my type of movies, and neither is his acting.  Like many comedians, he started on Saturday Night Live and eventually starred in major movies that he wrote or produced such as Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, The Wedding Singer, Little Nicky, Mr. Deeds, Big Daddy, 50 First Dates, The Longest Yard, Click, Grown Ups, and Just Go With It to name a few - out of those, my favourite is easily The Wedding Singer.  Unfortunately, his acting and production skills is tarnished by the fact that he is one of the actor with the most Raspy Awards - win and nominations - especially with movies like Jack and Jill which swept the categories it was nominated, Big Daddy, Little Nicky and Mr. Deeds.  That being said, he had good roles in recent years like Uncut Gems and Hustle but again, most people think of him as a comedy actor and the roles that was previously mentioned. 

SAVING: CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dev Patel

Dev Patel: 5 things to know about the Oscar nominee - ABC News

He's so handsome. I really like Dev Patel, I was obsessed with the movie Slumdog Millionaire back when it came out in 2008, and he's thankfully established a really solid career for himself since then. I remember him in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which wasn't a movie I loved, but he always has this charm to him that makes whatever movie he's in better. He even scored an Oscar nom for his role in the movie Lion, again another really average movie elevated by his performance. Besides those, he's been in The Wedding Guest and The Green Knight, among other movies I haven't heard of. On the television side of things, he had a role in Skins and was in the HBO series The Newsroom. Honestly I don't feel bad cutting him at all because his filmography is pretty limited compared to most of the people still left in the game. Having said that I like Dev, think he's very talented, but this is a good spot for him in the rankdown.

Save: Joaquin Phoenix

giphy.gif

An actor that has been getting more recognition by the industry in recent years, Steven Yeun is best known for his role on The Walking Dead - a show that I've never seen but Wikipedia tells me that he played Glenn.  For those of us who have never seen The Walking Dead, we will know Steven for his role in Minari which he also co-produced ; With his incredible portrayal in Minari, he became the first Asian American actor to being nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Actor category, as well at the SAG for Performance by a Male in a Leading Role.  Beside those role, he has been in other movies such as Okja and Nope - he certainly have a bright future ahead of him & I am sure that he will keep scoring bigger roles in the future all while breaking more barriers for Asian American actors in the industry. And I am looking forward to what else he has in store for us!

SAVING: RACHEL MCADAMS

Edited by *Chris

Jennifer Aniston

Jennifer Aniston - News, Tips & Guides | Glamour

I'm definitely conflicted about making this cut because I really like Jennifer Aniston. I think she has muscled her way into deservedly being in the category of "legitimately talented mega-stars." She actually started her career in the late 1980s but really her career exploded with the sitcom Friends. You've all heard of it, you've all seen it. Personally I do NOT like Friends, I think it's pretty cheesy and cringey but Jennifer is a bright spot of that show; and her charm and sex appeal caused her to be the standout and fan favorite of that show. I wouldn't say her acting was really all that impressive on the show itself. She kind of just played herself. But I, like literally almost everyone else, enjoy watching her because she always brings this authentic likability to the screen. As her career progressed, she showed off her acting chops more and more to the point where I am legitimately impressed with her. I watched the first season of the Morning Show and was so invested in her character. She disappeared into the role of a prominent news anchor who has to carry the show on by herself when her co-anchor gets ousted for multiple accusations of sexual harassment. That's where I really became a Jennifer stan. I don't really need to list her filmography, you can look it up for yourself and it's too extensive to list, but I also was impressed with her in Horrible Bosses, Cake, and Dumplin, and I loved her guest appearance on 30 Rock. I still feel comfortable cutting her now because I don't think she's had that one role that WOW'ed me, but mad respect and love for Jennifer Aniston.

Save: Kristen Wiig

• Sad 2

Adam Scott

Adam-Scott-main-new.jpg

Are we having fun yet?! I'm not having fun as y'all make me cut two tv actors 😭. But a ton of tv people were nominated so it is what it is. Adam Scott has been all over television and has been lovely in all of them. Ben Wyatt from Parks & Rec is a personal hero of mine and quite possibly one of the most relatable tv characters of all time for me. He was also the star of the criminally underrated Party Down which is getting rebooted soon and I cannot wait. Most recently, he's been starring in Severance which earned him an Emmy nom. Tbh I wouldn't say he's my favorite character in the show, but it's nice to see Adam Scott flex his dramatic muscles and finally get some recognition. I could honestly just keep listing random tv shows he's popped up in and I love him. He plays the assh*lish Trevor in The Good Place. He dated Michael C. Hall for a few episodes of Six Feet Under. He replaced Bradley Cooper for Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later. And I completely forgot he played Reese Witherspoon's husband in Big Little Lies despite the fact that I loved that show the first season. I just love Adam Scott. Objectively, he's probably a fair cut at this point. His film work isn't as impressive as his tv work, but I do love him as Derek on Step Brothers. He's still king, trust that!

Save Laurie Metcalf

• Sad 1

Will Arnett

1824A02_JO035.jpg

Not me cutting BoJack 😭. Take my BoJack stan card away from me, I deserve it. I just couldn't justify cutting anyone else over him :broken: (Ozark saved you for now Jason Bateman :kissbye:). Obviously Will Arnett is the lead voice actor of my second favorite tv show of all time BoJack Horseman (remember when Diana cut BoJack and Mad Men in final cuts of that tragic tv show rankdown 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂). Some people don't take voice acting seriously, but those people are idiots. Will Arnett's performance of BoJack is flawless, particularly in the iconic Free Churro episode which was essentially a 20-minute long monologue. One of the most impressive pieces of acting I've ever seen in my life. Will Arnett has been a talented comedic actor for years though. Obviously he's well known for playing Gob Bluth on Arrested Development. Gob is hardly one of my favorite characters if I'm being honest with myself though. My favorite live action role of Will Arnett's is probably as Devon on 30 Rock. It's just a guest stint, but he's perfect. Possibly my favorite guest character on 30 Rock? That's high praise. Similar to Adam Scott, he's been all over television, you've probably seen him somewhere. On the film side of things there's a few things that jump out. He's probably not the first Batman you think of, but I think he's great in all the Lego Movies. He and Amy Poehler are also a really fun villainous duo in Blades of Glory (I was heartbroken when Will and Amy got divorced lmao). Ugh I should've cut Jason Bateman, oh well.

Save Molly Shannon

• Like 1

Riz Ahmed

440px-Riz_Ahmed_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

They really came for my favourites this round :/.. At least Riz is not a top favorite so I can cut him and don't feel that bad. I've only watched three films from Riz: Venom, Rogue One and Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler happens to be one of my favorite films ever and Riz was pretty great in that film as the homeless who ends up Jake Gyllenhall's character and the final scene of that film with Rick is one of the most disturbing but also amazing cliffhanger scene on a film that I have seen in quite a lot of time. Ugh I think I like Riz now more. I think his most famous and critical role is as the lead on The Night Of, a show that I've been wanting to see for a while but haven't gotten yet. Riz also got a lot of acclaim as the lead on the 2019 film Sound of Metal, a role that gave her a Best Actor nomination for the Oscars. Riz is clearly a great actor whose career is getting more exciting as the time goes and I'm looking forward to catch up in all the stuff I've missed and his upcoming films.

Saving Steve Carell

Edited by .Rei

Youn Yuh-jung

licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJTtgdsOMKVKlQ2PWMgCPWBwk9hditkjU0-dRZAaRhyRHnCogB5EcHz-SRxpQmN8y1lhmFWTg_HRmWATU 

Youn Yuh-jung is a Korean actress and Academy Award winner. She won for Best Supporting Actress in 2020 for her role in Minari. She seemed to get every award imaginable for that performance. Except a Golden Globe, but no one likes the GGs anyway tbh. Before she became internationally acclaimed, she was already sweeping Korean and other Asian acting awards. She got "Best New Talent" way back in 1969. So she's not some unknown actress that suddenly appeared on the scene. She has a long amazing career and it is exciting to see Korean talent get recognized and remember that the film industry doesn't have to be so Hollywood-centric all the time. 

Save Academy Award Winner Daniel Kaluuya

Edited by FrogLenzen

Jason Bateman

440px-Jason_Bateman_2011.jpg

Jason Bateman is mostly known for the legendary Arrested Development, a comedy series that I believe is still one of the best comedies ever. I would say that Jason's character (Michael) might be not the most iconic character of the show but I think Jason is a very talented comedic actor and I really liked what he did with the Michael character. His second most famous tv show would be Ozark, a drama crime comedy that I'm interesting in watching as Jason is mostly known for her comedic skills. He even got Emmy nominations as Best Actor in a Drama Series, so that's a show that I will eventually watch some day. My Letterboxd account tells me that I have watched 8 films from him (a number that I believe is probably higher): Horrible Bosses, Zootopia, Juno, Game Night, Office Christmas Party, Thunder Force, The Switch and State of Play. Definitely not the greatest group if we exclude Juno of course. Even if I like him, Jason is also an actor that I'm okay with leaving at this moment.

Saving Adam Driver

James Gandolfini

the sopranos hbo GIF

3 Emmys, 5 SAG awards, and a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Tony Soprano. If you were to list the best overall TV performances of all time, you would be required to include James on your list. The entire show was groundbreaking, and James was the crown jewel. You may remember from the 90s TV thread that I was doing my first watch of the Sopranos at that time. I have now finished it. And honestly I'm not sure I enjoyed it. A lot of it was unpleasant and unsatisfying to me. But there's no denying that the performance of Tony Soprano was a force and was definitely impressive. James also got a lot of acclaim for his performance alongside Julia LD in Enough Said. I really need to watch that because I'd like to see what James is like playing someone else. James died tragically of a heart attack at age 51 in 2013 while he was visiting Rome. 

Save GGB

• Like 1

Al Pacino
Anthony Perkins
Colin Farrell
Jim Carrey
Michael B Jordan
Nicolas Cage
Paul Giamatti
Peter Dinklage
Robert De Niro
Willem Dafoe