Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Julianne Moore

440px-Julianne_Moore_(15011443428)_(2).jpg

Both Julianne and Frances don't deserve to be cut right now but alas I have no more choices and I'm giving Frances a bit of the edge against Juliane. Juliane is an excellent actress who has had a pretty great amount of good roles in good movies. The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Boogie Nights, The End of the Affair, Far From Heaven, The Hours, The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, Hannibal, Children of Men, A Single Man, The Kids are Alright, Don Jon, Crazy, Stupid, Love, Maps to the Stars, The Hunger Games and Kingsman: The Golden Circle are some of her most famous films. After being a Oscar darling for many years, Julianne finally won the Oscar for Best Actress for her performance on Still Alice,  another quite good film. I think Still Alice, A Single Man and Don Jon are the roles from Julianne that I've enjoyed the most. Julianne's career on TV isn't that big but her most notable role is that of Sarah Palin on the TV movie Game Change, a role that earned her a lot of praise and acting awards. Pity to lose Julianne Moore right now but almost everyone left in this game is very talented and it's getting more and more difficult every new round. 

Saving Frances McDormand

• Like 1

Laurie Metcalf

Laurie Metcalf on the Forces That Shaped Her – Chicago Magazine

Laurie Metcalf is someone who is a much bigger name and has had a much bigger career than I personally give her credit for/am familiar with. That is because I could really only point her out for her role in the Greta Gerwig movie Lady Bird, where she plays the titular character's mother. It's a very meaty role and she does a great job in it. Beyond that, however, I'm either not familiar with her work or didn't realize she was in things that I've seen. She's a winner of two Tonys and three Emmys, so she is very decorated and well-rounded in the acting world. She picked up an Oscar nom for Lady Bird (she had a chance to win at one point from what I remember). Beyond her work in Broadway, Laurie has been in Roseanne (one of her biggest claims to fame), and its spinoff The Conners where she won her Emmys. She also did 3rd Rock From the Sun, Monk, Desperate Housewives, The Big Bang Theory, Getting On, Hacks, and more. Her presence in the TV world is huge. She's also done a decent amount of movies (she played Andy's mom in Toy Story, omg!). I'm just not ridiculously familiar with her so out she goes now.

Save: Alison Brie

Steve Carell

carell-in-the-patient_wide-e965bc16a10e9b11c28b3425715e590d47a217c3.jpg

Steve Carell's comedic chops are undeniable. It's his dramatic ability that unfortunately gives me pause a bit. Steve Carell is of course iconic for playing Michael Scott in The Office. Truly the role of a lifetime. He turned what could've been a really unlikable and horrible character into someone who is more rootable and likable than they have any business being. With his groundbreaking performance, which will surely continue to be discussed and revered for decades to come, Carell has created one of the most iconic characters on television. His comedic ability has been further demonstrated throughout his film performances in movies such as The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Dinner for Schmucks, Anchorman, and Crazy, Stupid, Love. Now, I don't think he's a bad dramatic actor. He has a lot of dramatic scenes on The Office which he pulled off flawlessly. I also think some of his more subtle work in Little Miss Sunshine and The Patient show off a different, but great side to him. Futhermore I actually really liked him in his Oscar nominated role in Foxcatcher. It's the louder roles...idk I just can't really get behind them. When he screams, it always feels really forced to me. I was really looking forward to seeing him in movies & shows such as The Big Short, Vice, and The Morning Show, but ended up not feeling any of his performances. With the first two maybe I can just blame Adam McKay lol. But for all of McKay's faults as a director, I think he's directed some great performances out of some great actors (and even some not so great actors lol). I mentioned The Patient, and while I didn't love the show, I did see a new side of Carell's dramatic ability so I'm hoping to see more like that. Unfortunately due to my reservations with him, he's the only cut that made sense from this list of nominations for me.

Save Kathryn Hahn

Niecy Nash

440px-Niecy_Nash_2010.jpg

I'm not very familiar with Niecy Nash filmography so this an easy cut for me. I know Niecy most for her role on Reno 911! a show that I've always found hilarious. I've also watched Walk of Shame which was terrible, When They See us which is brilliant and Horton Hears a Who! which is meh. According to Wikipedia, her other most successful roles would be Didi in Getting On, Lolli on The Soul Man, Denise on Scream Queens, Desna on Claws and recently Glenda on Dahmer. Thanks to her performance on Getting on and When They See Us she would then receive Emmy and Critic nominations. Dahme would get her also Golden Globes and Critic Nominations. Her appearances on films is not as extensive as on tv but I guess Selma would be her most important role. Sorry to any fans out there but even though I like her I think she has lasted long enough.

Saving Daniel Kaluuya 

Bob Odenkirk

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Bob started his career winning an Emmy for writing for SNL. There's a fun fact that I did not know about. He had a sketch comedy show on HBO in the 90s that I also did not know about. I feel like for a lot of his career, he was "that guy" who was in random episodes of shows that you vaguely recognized but wasn't sure exactly where he was from. He also had some success with voice acting since his voice is so unique. He was featured extensively in Breaking Bad, which is his most recognizable role. After Breaking Bad ended, he got his own spin-off / prequel / something based on the character he played on that show. Better Call Saul. I haven't seen it but I intend to because I strongly believe that Breaking Bad is one of the greatest TV storytelling and acting achievements of our lifetime (even if it isn't necessarily a personal top favorite). Bob has been nominated 5 times for a Golden Globe for the lead role in that show. Hasn't won yet, but this year there's a chance since I think Better Call Saul officially is over now? He has also been nominated 5 times for an Emmy and 4 times for a SAG for that role with no wins

Save Molly Shannon

Emmy Awards Its An Honor To Be Nominated GIF by Emmys

Like many, I best know Regina Hall for her ever-so-iconic role in the Scary Movie franchise where she portrayed Brenda Meeks, one of the highlight of the entire series. Outside of this iconic role, Regina guest starred on many television shows to eventually starring in shows like Law & Order : LA which had a short life,  and Real Husbands of Hollywood. She also was able to secured roles in films like The Best Man, About Last Night and Vacation. However, her role in Girls Trip gave us a Regina Hall renaissance where she went on to appear in more films such as The Hate U Give, Little, Support for the Girls which earned her plenty of praises, and Insecure.  Unfortunately for Regina, my knowledge of her filmography or her is very much limited to one role which isn't unfortunately enough for me to save especially giving that we had to say farewell to actresses and actors for the same reason. 

SAVING: AL PACINO

Tessa Thompson

330px-Tessa_Thompson_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.

I am not too crazy about cutting Tessa, but most of the other available actresses I knew were liked or I just wasn't confortable cutting so it is what it is. Tessa Thompson I feel is best known for her role as Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Endgame, and Thor: Love and Thunder. She's also known for her roles as Charlotte Hale and Dolores Abernathy in Westworld, which I liked her in, as well as Annihilation. She's also known for her work in other franchise films (i.e the Creed series). She got her breakthrough with the films Mississippi Damned and For Colored Girls in addition to her drama productions. I'll try to add more to this later when I have more time, but for now out she must go.

Save: Elle Fanning

Behind The Scenes Queen GIF

I do like all of the actresses nominated to a degree, unfortunately, Elizabeth Olsen is the most expandable among the nominated actress and therefore I am more comfortable cutting her over the others. As we all know, Elizabeth Olsen is the youngest sister of the Olsen Twins. She came to prominence following her amazing portrayal in Martha Marcy May Marlene which she should have been nominated for an Oscar in my opinion. She then went on to appear in other movies such as Silent House, Godzilla, and Ingrid Goes West. Most recently, she been involved in the MCU where she portrays Scarlet Witch and Wanda Maximoff in series like Wandavision which I feel I may appreciate, and movies like Avengers, Captain America, and Doctor Strange. Overall, she’s an excellent actress and I hope that she is able to score more role outside of the MCU. 

SAVING: DAME JULIE ANDREWS 

Rita Moreno

Work’s busy right now so this will be rushed and edited later. Rita Moreno is a legend, she is the moment. She is a Puerto Rican actress whose career has spanned over seven decades long and she is still alive and slaying the game. At 91 she has to be one of if not the oldest people still left in the game. I know her for her roles in West Side Story, it’s crazy how she was in both the one in the 60’s and the one that came out a couple of years ago. She is one of the few EGOT recipients ever which is the crown jewel of a successful acting career. I won’t list her filmography now but it is extensive and she has done a LOT of stage work in addition to film and TV. She is a legend in her own right and the cut is not fun to make, though I don’t see her making the end game regardless of if she goes out now or in a few rounds.

save: Julia Garner