Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days

4months3weeks&2days_poster.jpg

4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days is a film I've never heard of prior to this game. Released in 2007, it's a Romanian art film written and directed by Cristian Mungiu and starring Anamaria Marinca, Laura Vasiliu, and Vlad Ivanov. It is set in Communist Romania in the final years of the Nicolae Ceaușescu era. The movie tells the story of two students, roommates in a university dormitory, who try and get an illegal abortion. Inspired by the general social historic context there, it depicts the loyalty of the two friends and the struggles they face while doing so. It seems to have won a few awards including a Palme d'Or, so I'm suddenly glad this is leaving and a certain other film is still here. :giggle: No interest in watching it so out it goes.

Save: The Descent

• Sad 1

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Photo of an eye (top), movie title (middle), and a photo of a person standing on a pier (bottom)

Didn't think that I'd be the one doing this write-up, but life comes at you fast. This movie is widely considered one of the most depressing movies ever made lol. This is based on a novel by Hubert Selby, Jr. Screenplay and direction by Darren Aronofsky, the king who brought us The Wrestler, Black Swan, and most recently The Whale which Brendan Fraser just won his Oscar for. His complex psychological drama movies often get his lead actors many accolades, which speaks as much to his writing and direction as it does to the talent of the performers. For this movie, the lead actress Ellen Burstyn was nominated for Best Actress, but she lost to Erin Brockovich. This is a movie about addiction. There are four characters affected by addiction and they try to navigate this delusional world while attempting to make their real life goals come true. Soundtrack is great. No love lost for Jared Leto since he is a tool and a half, but Jennifer Connelly deserves a shoutout.

Save Oldboy

4 minutes ago, *Diana said:

Please No @Deeee

I’m in a bind here! I don’t want to cut The Prestige due to owing Derek and Tom, but City of God and 28 Days Later both make my Top 20. So I either chop one of my own faves or take out a film that I love a little less. I’m sorry!!!!!

The Dark Knight (2008 dir. by Christopher Nolan)

tMCsrBa.gif

Maybe the hardest set of nominations all game? IDK. I think it says that we collectively carried a ton of good movies into the Top 100, but that means I am basically set to endure consecutive nomination rounds consisting of all of my favorite movies. So while The Dark Knight is not a film I want to cut, my hands feel tied here. 

The most obvious thing to say is that Heath Ledger’s performance as The Joker is transformative and incredible. Easily Top 3 best performances from any superhero movie ever and he deservedly won that Oscar!!! I mean his performance really has become one of the most recognizable and lauded in recent history. RIP Heath Ledger.

But at this point, every cut is tough. Is The Dark Knight the greatest superhero movie ever made? I think it arguably was up until Black Panther and X2 is still better to me on a personal level. But there is no mistaking that The Dark Knight defines the 00’s decade in film and is pretty incredible on all levels.

SAVING: In The Mood For Love

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

28 DAYS LATER (2002)

MV5BYTFkM2ViMmQtZmI5NS00MjQ2LWEyN2EtMTI1ZmNlZDU3MTZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg

28 Days Later is a post-apocalyptic horror film credited with helping revive the zombie genre. The film centers on a virus called Rage that rapidly spreads throughout Great Britain. This happens after an infected chimpanzee escapes a lab due to the actions of animal rights activists. The virus is highly contagious and causes extreme aggression. As a result, society collapses. The film follows a courier named Jim after he wakes up from a coma in a London hospital, seemingly the last person to learn about the virus. He meets desperate survivors and joins them on a journey to what they hope will be safety. Along the way, numbers in their group are infected and killed before they can infect anyone else. Towards the end of the film, they believe they found refuge in a fortified mansion. However, it is revealed that the women were lured there to help repopulate the world. Wanting nothing to do with this sexual slavery plan, Jim manages to escape with his two remaining companions. He gets shot, but manages to recover at a cottage in Cumbria. While there, they make a huge banner that spells out "HELLO." A Finnish fighter jet spots them, and they're hopeful they'll be saved. The film ends on an optimistic note, but there are alternate endings that all feature Jim dying. I haven't watched many zombie films, but 28 Days Later seems like it's worth watching. It is a highly regarded film, and it is described as very scary too. It doesn't seem too scary just from reading the plot summary, but I've seen clips online and the visuals are pretty gory in moments. Although the suspenseful nature of the film is what really seems to have the audiences on the edge of their seats. As for what the critics thought, 28 Days Later has an 87% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Kinetically directed by Danny Boyle, 28 Days Later is both a terrifying zombie movie and a sharp political allegory."

Saving Before Sunset.

0847d5a7ed488a0abb3985b5468658ca40bd564e.gif

• Sad 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris’ Noms Posted)