Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

3 minutes ago, Deeee said:

The first statement is a slippery slope, but I do agree that nobody should have to out themselves. However, when there are still hardly ANY films with two gay male leads, at some point you do have to critique a system that refuses to cast queer people to tell queer stories. 

And then queer people end up pigeonholed to queer roles.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I was browsing the 2010s rankdown the other day to try to guess what type of cycle rules Alex would use, and it reminded me of how Dee cut all the queer movies in that game too lolololol (except Moonlight)

I cut a movie starring Armie Hammer I will not be shamed!!! 

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

We HARDLY even have queer roles though. We should be able to have movies starring queer actors that also don’t revolve around their sexuality! So forgive me for not wanting to see a movie starring two straight white cis men in undefined non-hetero roles while the community is still fighting for scraps.

5 minutes ago, Deeee said:

I mean you didn’t even ask me to change the cut to even have this conversation. I let you remove films you didn’t want nominated and was happy to do so. 

I said that I didn’t want it cut. If I had phrased it in the form a question, would it have changed? I don’t think so. 

Just now, Deeee said:

We HARDLY even have queer roles though. We should be able to have movies starring queer actors that also don’t revolve around their sexuality! So forgive me for not wanting to see a movie starring two straight white cis men in undefined non-hetero roles while the community is still fighting for scraps.

Both are possible! Queer people should star in queer projects and straight people can star in queer projects don't need to be mutually exclusive. Also which openly queer actors are you suggesting star in Brokeback Mountain in 2006? Because most weren't out at the time and the ones that were didn't want to be known as "the gay actor"

3 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

But just saved one starring Jared Leto

Are you referring to his role in Dallas Buyers Club? I’m not aware of anything awful he’s done outside of that that compares to Armie’s horrifying history of violence. But I could not have all the information! 

19 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Actors sexuality should not define their role! Closeted actors should not have to out themselves in order to play a queer role!

i think the bigger issue is that openly queer actors have often had to fight for openly queer roles while openly straight people get these roles and get praised for them. (and it's few and far between that openly queer people get cast as straight characters AFTER coming out). the landscape is getting better, but by and large the people still getting recognized and nominated and awarded for playing queer characters are straight people (hell Brendan Fraser won for playing gay this year and Cate Blanchett's last two nominations have been for lesbian characters). and while i personally don't put a lot of weight in the awards industry, they still help determine what types of movies are made, what stories get told, and who gets to play the characters and help determine future roles for "breakout" stars.

(and obviously it's far worse and a different conversation when like cis actors play trans characters).

• Like 1

Just now, Deeee said:

Are you referring to his role in Dallas Buyers Club? I’m not aware of anything awful he’s done outside of that that compares to Armie’s horrifying history of violence. But I could not have all the information! 

he has ALLEGEDLY sexually assaulted multiple younger and ALLEGEDLY underage women

Just now, Deeee said:

Requiem for a Dream. Leto has a VERY extensive history of preying on underage girls.

3 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

I said that I didn’t want it cut. If I had phrased it in the form a question, would it have changed? I don’t think so. 

All you said was it was rude, despite the fact I had no previous knowledge of your love for the film. Had I known, I would have actually left it alone because you’ve been helpful. And yes, I do think asking is different, but that’s just me.

2 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

i think the bigger issue is that openly queer actors have often had to fight for openly queer roles while openly straight people get these roles and get praised for them. (and it's few and far between that openly queer people get cast as straight characters AFTER coming out). the landscape is getting better, but by and large the people still getting recognized and nominated and awarded for playing queer characters are straight people (hell Brendan Fraser won for playing gay this year and Cate Blanchett's last two nominations have been for lesbian characters). and while i personally don't put a lot of weight in the awards industry, they still help determine what types of movies are made, what stories get told, and who gets to play the characters and help determine future roles for "breakout" stars.

(and obviously it's far worse and a different conversation when like cis actors play trans characters).

And I agree with that. We can continue to prop up queer actors in queer roles! But stopping straight people from playing queer roles is not the solution. Do you ask them their sexuality in the audition?

he has ALLEGEDLY sexually assaulted multiple younger and ALLEGEDLY underage women

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

Requiem for a Dream. Leto has a VERY extensive history of preying on underage girls.

Oh wow I genuinely did not have that information. Thank you both for informing me because that definitely changes my desire to keep Requiem. Sucks to hear as I have enjoyed some of his roles, but yikes. Let me read more on these “allegations”

11 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

honestly. i don't think this is a terrible thing in idea. The caveat is that we still aren't telling a wide breadth of queer stories and the number of queer characters whose queerness isn't their defining characteristic and story is still low. (a good POSTIVE example of what i'm talking about is Keke Palmer in NOPE)

8 minutes ago, Deeee said:

undefined non-hetero roles

A huuuge pet peeve of mine but I don’t know a way around it, especially with period pieces

Personally I don’t really enjoy adultery movies but I still thought brokeback would sail through to the end 

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

And I agree with that. We can continue to prop up queer actors in queer roles! But stopping straight people from playing queer roles is not the solution. Do you ask them their sexuality in the audition?

obviously not. but there's a middle ground. like you wouldn't ask an "unknown" actor in a casting call for a gay character. but maybe you wouldn't cast Iike openly straight cate blanchett in lesbian roles (coming from somebody who loves Cate Blanchett in lesbian roles).

6 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Both are possible! Queer people should star in queer projects and straight people can star in queer projects don't need to be mutually exclusive. Also which openly queer actors are you suggesting star in Brokeback Mountain in 2006? Because most weren't out at the time and the ones that were didn't want to be known as "the gay actor"

I hear you on this and do think that Ledger and Gyllenhaal were brave for taking their respective roles at the time. I don’t think my criticism of their casting takes away from that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

honestly. i don't think this is a terrible thing in idea. The caveat is that we still aren't telling a wide breadth of queer stories and the number of queer characters whose queerness isn't their defining characteristic and story is still low. (a good POSTIVE example of what i'm talking about is Keke Palmer in NOPE)

Yes this. So many stories haven’t even been touched by cinema.

3 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

obviously not. but there's a middle ground. like you wouldn't ask an "unknown" actor in a casting call for a gay character. but maybe you wouldn't cast Iike openly straight cate blanchett in lesbian roles (coming from somebody who loves Cate Blanchett in lesbian roles).

i also think that. again. openly queer actors are often not getting the opportunities after coming out to play straight characters like openly straight people get to play gay characters. like I can think of only a few examples in Luke Evans and Kristen Stewart. maybe Zachary Quinto. But like. Queer actors are already being pigeonholed into queer roles and they are still losing them to straight actors!

i also think that. again. openly queer actors are often not getting the opportunities after coming out to play straight characters like openly straight people get to play gay characters. like I can think of only a few examples in Luke Evans and Kristen Stewart. maybe Zachary Quinto. But like. Queer actors are already being pigeonholed into queer roles and they are still losing them to straight actors!

But don't you think it's counterproductive to be like, welp lost this fight guess we'll just stick with only queer people in queer roles and only straight people in straight roles. Advocate for more queer actors in queer roles! Advocate for queer actors in straight roles even after coming out! I don't think banning straight people from queer roles is the solution.