Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

the-host-5e39f13c26b2c.png

tumblr_n1q8775Y7W1r04g55o1_500.gif

Not to be confused with the Saoirse Ronan's The Host, which was released later than 2006,  this film is a South Korean monster / horror film that was directed by Bong Joon-ho whom we all know for Parasite as well as other of his films that's featured in this rankdown.  Also known as Monster, it stars the like of Song Kang-ho, Byun Hee-bong, Park Hae-il, Bae Doona and Go Ah-sung.  The plot of the film is the one of a monster kidnapping someone's daughter and the attempt of said father trying to rescue his daughter. Unfortunately, I've never seen the film - which is why my choice stopped on this film - but individuals who love this genre will have definitely seen this film & most likely have seen it considering that, at the time, it was one of the highest-grossing South Korean film of all-time.  

SAVING: WALK THE LINE

Edited by *Chris

Brokeback Mountain (2005 dir. by Ang Lee)

2rl8yFM.gif

Sorry but people eliminated amazing films for the likes of The Princess Diaries, so I will not be listening to complaints. LOL. As much as I can recognize the impact of this film for queer cinema, I also don’t think a film casting two straight cis white men in the lead roles sits as well with me nowadays? And it is directed by a straight cis man? Though I totally respect the performances given by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Really do. I am a fan of both of their bodies of work and talents and think this is a well-acted film with strong supporting performances from Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams, and Linda Cardellini. Ang Lee’s direction is incredible here and he deservedly won the Best Director Oscar. The Library of Congress has preserved the film in the National Film Registry for its significance to culture, which is a significant honor. Again, I have my reservations over the storytelling - straight people love to tell stories of gay tragedies! Great direction, great acting, great job upsetting the conservatives, and great job subverting the American Western genre. But I do find aspects of the film cringe with a critical lens and I personally just love other nominations more.

SAVINGRequiem for a Dream

12 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Actors sexuality should not define their role! Closeted actors should not have to out themselves in order to play a queer role!

The first statement is a slippery slope, but I do agree that nobody should have to out themselves. However, when there are still hardly ANY films with two gay male leads, at some point you do have to critique a system that refuses to cast queer people to tell queer stories. 

14 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

To say you returned it when I had already changed another cut for you is laughable.

I mean you didn’t even ask me to change the cut to even have this conversation. I let you remove films you didn’t want nominated and was happy to do so.