Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Just now, Alex95 said:

But don't you think it's counterproductive to be like, welp lost this fight guess we'll just stick with only queer people in queer roles and only straight people in straight roles. Advocate for more queer actors in queer roles! Advocate for queer actors in straight roles even after coming out! I don't think banning straight people from queer roles is the solution.

It's just overall advocating for more queer people in queer roles. And if that means that I'm at the same time advocating for less straight actors in queer roles then so be it! And advocating for more queer roles in general. That's the bigger issue. That there aren't a ton of high profile queer roles and in 2023 when they come up there's no reason not to be giving these roles to openly queer actors.

Wow

So I guess i should just play this game for other people because the continued shade thrown at me every day in this game by the rankers who basically  are going to have all their favorites at the end due to their alliances and then still have to make the the  choice to  still complain  and act above me after said movie and all my favorites are gone anyway.

it is hurtful and not funny,, when I said I wasn't in a good mental health place and all of this because god forbin I tried to save a movie I liked aand they didn't lol.

I can take a strike or whatever because I am stepping away from this site this weekend. My mental health can't take this.

You all win. 

1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

It's just overall advocating for more queer people in queer roles. And if that means that I'm at the same time advocating for less straight actors in queer roles then so be it! And advocating for more queer roles in general. That's the bigger issue. That there aren't a ton of high profile queer roles and in 2023 when they come up there's no reason not to be giving these roles to openly queer actors.

But then openly is the key word here. Sure Cate Blanchett is openly straight so while I disagree with you there, your point is understandable and I respect your opinion. But then like Lukas Gage who got dragged on Twitter for taking queer roles but wanted to maintain his privacy. Or Kit Connor who had to come out against his will for playing a bisexual character on some kids show. They have every right to play those characters as do actors who are comfortable being openly queer. That’s where the slippery slope is for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

American Psycho

I've tried to avoid cutting the horror films in this rankdown, but in the first horror rankdown, I cut plenty of films for not being all that scary, and I have to hold by the same principle here. Based on the 1991 novel by Bret Easton Ellis, American Psycho stars Christian Bale, whose work I tend to enjoy, as Patrick Bateman, a New York City investment banker who leads a double life as a serial killer. Willem Dafoe, Jared Leto, Chloë Sevigny, Justin Theroux, and Reese Witherspoon appear in supporting roles to name a few. The film blends horror and black comedy to satirize the 1980s yuppie lifestyle, exemplified by Bateman. Patrick spends most of his time dining at popular restaurants while keeping up appearances for his fiancée (played by Reese Witherspoon) and his circle of wealthy associates, most of whom he hates, and a serial killer by night. As I hinted earlier, I can respect a lot of horror comedies but they are usually not my top favorites and this is no different. There are other horror films I prefer to last longer in this and it has one of the lower RT scores left in this, so out it goes.

Save: Almost Famous

I think the thing missing in this write-up (and perhaps that's because I like it much more than Tom apparently) is that this is movie was directed by a woman (Mary Harron) and the screenplay adapted by a lesbian (Guinevere Turner) who both radically changed this from its source material to make it like a good movie. Because the source material is garbage!!!!!!

On 3/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, *Diana said:

Paprika

a fun fact not mentioned. there was a live action paprika in the works but it was scrapped because Inception came out and they thought it was too close plotwise to have both a live action Paprika and Inception. (i guess the only time two similar movies can be released at one time is when they are about magicians) (also with the track record of live adapting anime...maybe it's better off that Paprika never got adapted).

anyway, we lost Satoshi Kon way too soon :(

Edited by totes4totes

9 hours ago, totes4totes said:

I think the thing missing in this write-up (and perhaps that's because I like it much more than Tom apparently) is that this is movie was directed by a woman (Mary Harron) and the screenplay adapted by a lesbian (Guinevere Turner) who both radically changed this from its source material to make it like a good movie. Because the source material is garbage!!!!!!

I usually mention who directed the film in my writeups but forgot to hear. As for Bret Easton Ellis’s work, never read one of his books and never will, lol.

I'm gonna be on vacation all next week and not gonna be on much. You all know the rules, 24 hours to nominate, 24 hours to cut & save. I'll be updating whenever I have free time, probably at the end of the day. But no need to wait for my go to keep things moving.

Bring It On

If Brokeback Mountain can't be here any longer, then Bring It On for sure deserves to follow it out the door. Released in 2000, Bring It On is a teen cheerleading comedy film directed by Peyton Reed in his film directing debut and written by Jessica Bendinger. The film stars Kirsten Dunst (as Torrance), Eliza Dushku, Jesse Bradford, and Gabrielle Union. The film centers around two high school cheerleading teams' preparation for a national competition. Torrance hopes to take the Toros to a national championship trophy win for the sixth year in a row. Unfortunately for her, she discovers through new cheerleader Missy that their perfectly-choreographed routines were in fact stolen from the Clovers, a rival team and Missy's former team, and they have to come up with a new one. I know it's got a cult following and several sequels, but it never interested me enough to see it in full and it also has one of the lower RT scores remaining in the game at 64% so out it goes. 

Save: Memories of Murder

Memories of Murder (2003 dir. by Bong Joon-ho)

giphy.gif

One of two movies from Bong Joon-ho’s catalog that I still have not watched. The other being his first feature, Barking Dogs Never Bite. But I do know the premise of this movie and have been wanting to watch it for some time.

Based on the 1996 play Come See Me by Kim Kwang-rim, and with a screenplay written by Bong & Shim Sung-bo, this is a crime thriller film about two detectives investigating a string of rape and murders occurring in Hwaesong in the late 1980s. The original play is loosely based on South Korea’s first confirmed serial killings. 

With a cast consisting of Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyung, Kim Roi-ha, Song Jae-ho, Byun Hee-bong, Park Hae-il, Jeon Mi-seon, and Yeom Hye-ran, the film received critical acclaim a few years after its release, and is now cited as one of the best South Korean films ever made. Which shocks me none considering I love every single movie I have ever seen from Bong Joon-ho. I think I’ll watch tomorrow before bed finally. 

SAVING: Bring It On
Edited by Deeee