Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

4. BYE BYE BYE - *NSYNC

286fcd79b1e64596859840de45b983bd.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

PRISCILLA: 1

STEVEN: 1

WALLACE: 1 

AKSHAR: 2

VICTORIA: 2

GIGI: 4 

DEREK: 5

LILY: 6 

CHRIS: 8

B-B: 10

REI: 10

DIANA: 12

ALEX: 13

ELLIOTT: 14

CRISIS: 15

NICO: 18

STEVEN

"Bye Bye Bye" is one of my favorite songs, and it was an easy #1 choice for me. *NSYNC is my favorite boyband group, and "Bye Bye Bye" is super catchy with a fun singalong feel to it. This is a song I still enjoy listening to over 20 years later, and their No Strings Attached album has a lot of other great songs too. Even though I was very young then, I remember how popular *NSYNC were back in the early 2000s. I go back and forth between "Bye Bye Bye" and "It's Gonna Be Me" for my favorite *NSYNC song, but I do think "Bye Bye Bye" is their signature song and most worthy of making the Top 20 here. So, shout-out to Gigi for agreeing with me to advance this song. "Bye Bye Bye" was one of the biggest songs of the decade, and I'm glad it managed to rank this high on the ranking. 

WALLACE

90170ee1-5c50-4f81-a033-8e3585f71fcc_tex

e200a3f3-f097-4d7f-9595-445d58f946d2_tex

justin-timberlake-baby-bye-bye.gif

There was no denying that *NSYNC were really big during their career but the year 2000 was a massive explosive HUGE year for them, which all started out with the very iconic "Bye Bye Bye." *NSYNC pretty much defined and dominated 2000 as their album, No Strings Attached had the highest selling opening week sales for an album, selling like 2.4 million albums and held that record for 15 years. :omg: "Bye Bye Bye"  was a huge song that top various charts and was a song I listened to a lot back then and still hear it every now and then. My love for the song never faded away over the years. I do consider it one of my all-time favorite songs after all these years. I know I ranked this song at #1 on my personal 2000 Year-End chart, so I feel that I have to do the same here!

This is such a classic and timeless song from *NSYNC, and is definitely my favorite song of theirs. So I am very glad that Steven & Gigi were able to send this through into the finals. Although I also really love "It's Gonna Be Me," which would be somewhere in my personal Top 10 for the year. *NSYNC just came in HARD in 2000. :haha: This is a song I not only heard so much through 2000 but over the next 22 years. It's a song I feel I will always remember the words to. I love how this song starts off with a bang with those "bye bye bye's" at the start. But the song is fun and catchy throughout, even if the subject matter isn't fun. I do love how JC sings the first verse of the song, with the edgy and strength of his vocals here.

I'm doin' this tonight,
You're probably gonna start a fight.
I know this can't be right.
Hey, baby, come on.

I do really love the pre-chorus and chorus of the song where the group sings:

I know that I can't take no more
It ain't no lie
I wanna see you out that door
Baby, bye, bye, bye... 

Bye, bye
Don't wanna be a fool for you
Just another player in your game for two
You may hate me, but it ain't no lie,
Baby, bye, bye, bye... 

Bye, bye
Don't really wanna make it tough,
I just wanna tell you that I had enough.
It might sound crazy, but it ain't no lie,
Baby, bye, bye, bye.

That is all so catchy and so easy to sing along to! :bobo: I do love Justin's second verse of the song and all of what he sings there.

Just hit me with the truth,
Now, girl, you're more than welcome to.
So give me one good reason,
Baby, come on 

I live for you and me,
And now I really come to see,
That life would be much better
Once you're gone

:bobo:

I love the bridge section with that "I'm giving up, I know for sure" part. But I do loved the slow down part even more that Justin sings that goes:

I don't wanna be your fool
In this game for two

Then I also love that big note JC belts where he sings "bye byeee baby." :omg: I love the music video and think it's classic, well shot and a lot of fun. I love how they were puppets attached to strings at the start, all of the dancing that they do is great! Those signature "bye bye bye" dance moves were such a huge thing back then! I may have tried those moves myself. :haha: And maybe the whole choreography but I'm not saying. Then also the lead actress chasing all of the guys to try to get her way! :giggle: But yeah I do love this classic song a ton and I do hope it ranks well. It probably won't as well as I hope but hopefully it does and can make the Top 10, at least.

CHRIS

Despite everything that revolves around a certain member & having no respect for said member, I cannot deny that this song was one of the one that defined the year of 2000 for me, and the Music Video is still one of the most iconic MV of the 2000s.

ALEX

This absolutely gets ranked lower if I hadn't just watched Red Rocket. The scenes with this song...whew!

CRISIS

One of *NSYNC's better songs although I was never really into the boyband craze. It's a shame Justin was the one to blow up, for I thought JC was the better singer.

3. OOPS!...I DID IT AGAIN - BRITNEY SPEARS

MV5BZDJjMzA3OWQtZTYyMy00NmFkLWE4NGEtZmJkMTdiMjYwODg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIyNTA1OTA4._V1_.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 1

VICTORIA: 1

ELLIOTT: 2

GIGI: 3 

PRISCILLA: 3 

STEVEN: 3

CHRIS: 4

WALLACE: 4

AKSHAR: 5

REI: 5

B-B: 7 

DEREK: 8

LILY: 9

ALEX: 11

CRISIS: 16

NICO: 19

STEVEN

"Oops...I Did It Again" is definitely one of Britney's most iconic songs and videos. Britney was insanely popular in the early 2000's, and I don't think any pop artist today has reached the level of global superstardom she did. This song is very catchy and fun. It's definitely made its mark on pop culture, and I'm glad to see it rank this high overall.

CHRIS

I am a Britney Spears gay, and I was obsessed with Britney during this era - I knew all the words to her songs and it was no exception for Oops... I Did It Again. Anyway, this was one of Britney Spears' peak and it shouldn't be surprising that it is ranking high on my end - this was a HIT and the music video is still iconic as it was back when it was first released.

WALLACE

DecimalInstructiveKiwi-size_restricted.gCarefulConcernedAnglerfish-size_restrict

“Oops!...I Did It Again” is such an iconic song and video from Britney! This was one of my favorite songs of the year 2000. I'm glad this made it through to the finals as I couldn't imagine this not being here, so thank you Victoria & Diana for advancing this through. ❤️ The songs up in this high ranking group for me were all so tricky to rank but I think I like #4 for this right now. This is a great, fun, catchy pop song that Britney sells so well. 

Right from the start, you just gotta love those catchy "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah” right from the start of the song! And then how the first verse starts off with: I think I did it again? SO GOOD. Then I also love the part where she sings: It might seem like a crush. But it doesn't mean that I'm serious.

I also really love the pre-chorus and chorus where she sings:

'Cause to lose all my senses

That is just so typically me

Oh, baby, baby

Oops!... I did it again

I played with your heart, got lost in the game

Oh, baby, baby

Oops!... You think I'm in love

That I'm sent from above

I'm not that innocent

Once again such a catchy chorus!  I LOVE that whole second verse… and some of my favorite parts are where she sings:

You see, my problem is this

I cry watching the days
Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways?

I also really love the bridge section of the song that goes:

Oops!... I did it again to your heart

Got lost in this game, oh, baby

Oops!... You think that I'm sent from above

I'm not that innocent

I also really love this music video too. Lmaooo I know I am sounding like a broken record on these music video comments but I can’t help what I love.  The space theme of the video is so cool. The whole bit with Britney, that astronaunt guy talking bit and how she let him down.... always remains so iconic and cracks me up. But yeah the red catsuit was a hot and iconic look from Britney! And I also love the white top & dress look on her in the middle of the video.  As always i love all of the choreography here and all of the dancing Britney does here!  Just such a classic song & video that I hope ranks well here!

CRISIS

Not one of my favorite Britney songs or videos, but I can't say it's a bad one either.

2. TRY AGAIN - AALIYAH

513uOmjTlWL.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

B-B: 1

DEREK: 1

ELLIOTT: 1 

LILY: 3

VICTORIA: 3

WALLACE: 3

NICO: 4

CRISIS: 5

ALEX: 8

REI: 8

STEVEN: 8

PRISCILLA: 9

GIGI: 10 

CHRIS: 11

DIANA: 11

AKSHAR: 13

WALLACE

WUzi.gif

aaliyah-dust-it-off.gif

"Try Again" is such an iconic song and video from Aaliyah! This is one of my main favorite songs of 2000, my 2nd favorite song of Aaliyah's and one of those songs I could not imagine not being here. I wish I could remember where I ranked this song back in 2000 but I know it was quite high. I really struggled and went back and forth on my #2 and #3. But I think I'm happy with ranking "Try Again" at #3. Everything works here with this song - Aaliyah's vocals from beginning to end, the sick beat/music production, the music video, the dancing/choreography and just everything. It's all iconic and timeless. The song starts off with Timbaland's signature "It's been a long time, we shouldn't have left you. Without a dope beat to step to, step to, step to, step to, step to, step to, freaky-freaky." :bobo: That part is so catchy to sing along to! I do love the sweet sassy way that Aaliyah sings the opening verse, and some of my favorite parts are where she sings:

What would you do
To get to me
What would you say
To have your way
Would you give up
Or try again
If I hesitated
To let you in

Now would you be yourself
Or play your role
Tell all the boys
Or keep it low
If I say no
Would you turn away
Or play me off
Or would you stay

Oops, that's the whole verse but whatever... it's a JAM! And I love it all! :bobo: Then that chorus is so catchy and infectious! 

And if at first you don't succeed
Then dust yourself off and try again
You can dust it off and try again
'Cause if at first you don't succeed
You can dust it off and try again
Dust yourself off and try again

SO CATCHY! :bobo: 

From the second verse, I love that whole part but won't list all of those parts. But I really love the parts where she sings:

Not 'til I see
What this could be
Could be eternity
Or just a week

This ain't a "Yes"
This ain't a "No"
Just do your thing
We'll see how it goes

But then the bridge is another iconic part of the song that I absolutely adore where she sings:

If you don't wanna throw it all away
I might be shy on the first date
What about the next date

I said you don't wanna throw it all away
I might be buggin' on the first date
What about the next date

I love the music video a ton (which is shocking I know), but wow Aaliyah has seriously had some iconic videos, and this is no different. I do really love it! Another one of my main favorite parts is where the song goes instrumental and that dance breakdown!! Aaliyah's dancing with the backup dancers! SO SICK! :omg: I love all of the dancing she and the dances does there. But yeah, I know a lot of us love Aaliyah and "Try Again," so I am hoping that translates to high rankings and can rank well here. I wouldn't be mad if this song won this round either.

CRISIS

Just a solid song all the way around. This isn't in my Top 5 Aaliyah's songs, but I think it's Top 5 among this group.

STEVEN

This is probably my favorite Aaliyah song. It's got a very nice vibe to it, and Aaliyah's delivery here is excellent. It's a great song indeed.

CHRIS

An excellent song from the icon that was Aaliyah - I do wish I could have ranked it higher than this, but like many of the songs in the Top 20, I am attached to other songs more than this one.

1. SAY MY NAME - DESTINY'S CHILD

66649d49197eaa33d29b90a5996f8b94.600x600x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1 

LILY: 1

WALLACE: 2

B-B: 3

DIANA: 4 

STEVEN: 4

VICTORIA: 4

GIGI: 5 

CHRIS: 6 

ELLIOTT: 6

PRISCILLA: 6

CRISIS: 8 

REI: 9

NICO: 10

DEREK: 13

ALEX: 15

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c3218d3e367fdb55ed

35XC.gif

destinys-child-say-my-name.gif

This may be a shocker but I do absolutely love "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child! :wub: Except it probably isn't a surprise to anyone.  I definitely want and have to thank Victoria for advancing this song both times. LOVE YOU FOR THAT, VICTORIA. ❤️ (Which I guess makes up for that heartbreaking "Jumpin, Jumpin" cut but I won't focus on that lol. :broken: ) "Say My Name" is really such an iconic song and a song that helped Destiny's Child grow even more in popularity, especially in the Pop music scene. This song also came in at #7 on a Billboard's The Greatest Girl Groups song list I read a few weeks ago.  "Say My Name" achieved a lot of critical success in winning two Grammy Awards for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and Best R&B Song.

Gosh so I do really love this song but I feel these songs within my Top 4 are all so tricky and could be interchangeable with one another. I THINK I do like 3rd for this song. "Say My Name" is also one of my ultimate favorite Destiny's Child song, and maybe even my favorite song of theirs, so I am super glad this survived the cuts and made it to the Top 20. And with no votes against it in the final voting round too. ❤️ Hopefully that's a sign this song is beloved and ranks well here, but we'll see. I'm just happy this made it into the Top 20.

"Say My Name" is simply an iconic, catchy and classic song here! ❤️ The song starts off with that very iconic chorus that I really love so much that goes: 

Say my name, say my name
When no one is around you
Say baby I love you
If you ain't runnin' game
Say my name, say my name
You actin' kinda shady
Ain't callin' me "baby"
Why the sudden change? 

Say my name, say my name
When no one is around you
Say baby I love you
If you ain't runnin' game
Say my name, say my name
You actin' kinda shady
Ain't callin' me "baby"
Better say my name

:wub: 

Beyoncé pretty much sings lead through the whole song, which wasn't surprising in the early Destiny's Child days. Of course I love everything line, part of what she sings here. I don't even.... know how to pick out favorite parts but I love the parts where she sings:

Any other day
I would call, you would say
"Baby, how's your day?"
But today, it ain't the same
Every other word is "Uh huh", "Yeah, OK"
Could it be that you are at the crib with another lady? 

If you took it there
First of all let me say
I am not the one to sit around and be played
So prove yourself to me
If I'm the girl that you claim
Why don't you say the things
That you said to me yesterday

Then I also really love that pre-chorus that goes:

I know you say that I am assuming things
Something's going down, that's the way it seems
Shouldn't be no reason why you're acting strange
If nobody's holding you back from me
'Cause I know how you usually do
Where you're saying everything to me times two
Why can't you just tell the truth?
If somebody's there, then tell me who

LOVE IT. :wub: But wow, the ladies of Destiny's Child really do mean business with all of what they are singing here. They are not to be messed with. I also love all of what they sing on the second verse of the song. I wish I could break it down to my favorite parts but I can't, so I'll post that whole verse too:

What is up with this?
Tell the truth, who you with?
How would you like it if I came over with my clique?
Don't try to change it now
See you gotta bounce
When two seconds ago
Said you just got in the house
It's hard to believe that you are at home by yourself
When I just heard the voice, heard the voice of someone else
Just this question why do you feel you gotta lie?
Getting caught up in your game
When you cannot say my name

I really love those vocal ad-libs that Beyoncé does after the second chorus of the songwhere she belts out: "say my name, sayyy myy naammmeeeee" "sudden change, say my name! If things doesn't changee oooo whhoooaa" and more that she does! :wub:

The bridge section of the song is fun with the "yea yea yea yea" parts! I do love how they slow down the song there and then that note Bey hits at the end of that part! ❤️ I love more of her ad-libs such as where she sings "Call me your booo!" WAS SHE SINGING THAT TO ME? I hope. :wub:

I also really love the music video here and think it's really gorgeous. :wub: I love how it features a member of the group with other ladies in different colored rooms - blue, orange, red and white. All the Destiny's Child members look gorgeous as do the extras. Ooh and this video was also memorable in the sense that it featured new members Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin in the music video. It had us ALL shook and confused because this was the first time they were introduced in the group. Farrah only made it through two videos, but at least Michelle made it through the rest of the duration of the group. ❤️

STEVEN

This is my favorite Destiny's Child song, so I'm happy to see it win. I really like this song a lot, and it's one I still seek out to listen to every now and then. I think the verses are my favorite parts, but that chorus is so good too. I was worried this song would've been a petty cut after no duo advanced this to the Top 20, but thankfully it managed to survive and be crowned our first winner of this mini rankdown.

CHRIS

An addictive song from one of the best female girl group from the 2000s. Also, hello Farrah :giggle:.

CRISIS

I can't say I've been too big on Destiny's Child. With that said, Say My Name is one of my Top 5 songs of theirs. It's easy to listen to and zone out in. Also, I forgot they had a random fourth member after Latavia and LaToya left before going with the Beyonce, Kelly, and Michelle trio. :haha:

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:16 PM, Steven_ said:

SONGS OF 2001

"Be Like That" - 3 Doors Down

"Kryptonite" - 3 Doors Down

"No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)" - 3LW

"It's Over Now" - 112

"Peaches & Cream" - 112

"Jaded" - Aerosmith

"Fallin'" - Alicia Keys

"Austin" - Blake Shelton

"Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!)" - Blu Cantrell

"Ain't Nothing 'bout You" - Brooks & Dunn

"Missing You" - Case

"Lady Marmalade" - Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mýa and Pink

"What Would You Do?" - City High

"Fill Me In" - Craig David

"Butterfly" - Crazy Town

"With Arms Wide Open" - Creed

"The Space Between" - Dave Matthews Band

"Dance with Me" - Debelah Morgan

"Bootylicious" - Destiny's Child

"Independent Women Part I" - Destiny's Child

"Survivor" - Destiny's Child

"One More Day" - Diamond Rio

"Thank You" - Dido

"He Loves U Not" - Dream

"Get Over Yourself" - Eden's Crush

"Hero" - Enrique Iglesias

"Only Time" - Enya

"Music" - Erick Sermon feat. Marvin Gaye

"Crazy for This Girl" - Evan and Jaron

"Let Me Blow Ya Mind" - Eve feat. Gwen Stefani

"Here's to the Night" - Eve 6

"The Way You Love Me" - Faith Hill

"There You'll Be" - Faith Hill

"Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" - Fuel

"Differences" - Ginuwine

"Drive" - Incubus

"Contagious" - The Isley Brothers feat. R. Kelly and Chanté Moore

"Livin' It Up" - Ja Rule feat. Case

"Put It on Me" - Ja Rule feat. Lil' Mo and Vita

"Promise" - Jagged Edge

"Where the Party At" - Jagged Edge with Nelly

"All for You" - Janet

"Someone to Call My Lover" - Janet

"I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)" - Jay-Z

"Izzo (H.O.V.A.)" - Jay-Z

"Love Don't Cost a Thing" - Jennifer Lopez

"Play" - Jennifer Lopez

"I'm Real (Murder Remix)" - Jennifer Lopez feat. Ja Rule

"Who I Am" - Jessica Andrews

"Irresistible" - Jessica Simpson

"Stutter" - Joe feat. Mystikal

"Crazy" - K-Ci & JoJo

"Don't Happen Twice" - Kenny Chesney

"I Hope You Dance" - Lee Ann Womack

"Again" - Lenny Kravitz

"Hanging by a Moment" - Lifehouse

"Superwoman Pt. II" - Lil' Mo feat. Fabolous

"My Baby" - Lil' Romeo

"I'm Already There" - Lonestar

"Loverboy" - Mariah Carey feat. Cameo

"Southern Hospitality" - Ludacris

"Don't Tell Me" - Madonna

"If You're Gone" - Matchbox Twenty

"Family Affair" - Mary J. Blige

"Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott

"One Minute Man" - Missy Elliott feat. Ludacris

"South Side" - Moby feat. Gwen Stefani

"Love" - Musiq Soulchild

"Case of the Ex (Whatcha Gonna Do)" - Mýa

"Danger (Been So Long)" - Mystikal feat. Nivea

"E.I." - Nelly

"Ride wit Me" - Nelly feat. City Spud

"I'm Like a Bird" - Nelly Furtado

"Turn Off the Light" - Nelly Furtado

"This I Promise You" - *NSYNC

"All or Nothing" - O-Town

"Ms. Jackson" - OutKast

"So Fresh, So Clean" - Outkast

"Most Girls" - Pink

"Oochie Wally" - QB Finest feat. Nas and Bravehearts

"Nobody Wants to Be Lonely" - Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera

"I Wish" - R. Kelly

"Fiesta" - R. Kelly feat. Jay-Z

"Never Had a Dream Come True" - S Club 7

"Angel" - Shaggy feat. Rayvon

"It Wasn't Me" - Shaggy feat. Rikrok

"It's Been Awhile" - Staind

"When It's Over" - Sugar Ray

"Heard It All Before" - Sunshine Anderson

"Stranger in My House" - Tamia

"Grown Men Don't Cry" - Tim McGraw

"You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This" - Toby Keith

"I Do!!" - Toya

"Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)" - Train

"It's a Great Day to Be Alive" - Travis Tritt

"I'm a Thug" - Trick Daddy

"Beautiful Day" - U2

"Follow Me" - Uncle Kracker

"U Remind Me" - Usher

"I Wanna Be Bad" - Willa Ford

Here are the 2001 songs.

There are some repeat songs due to how the Year-End Billboard Charts work.

- Ooh wow, TRSS got 7.68 while Bye Bye Bye got a 7.62, so danggg that is such an insanely tight score. 😮  But I'm really glad and happy to see "Bye Bye Bye" getting 4th here. I know *NSYNC aren't as beloved as the artists inthe Top 3, but this is such a classic early 2000s song so I am glad it finished htis high. Lots of great rankings - 7 Top 5 and 11 Top 10 rankings is fantastic! But aww yay Crisis giving JC credit, I think I had that in my comments but then erased them but he did deserve better for his solo career.

- Aww yayy "Oops!... I Did It Again" coming in 3rd. ❤️ Wow amazing rankings here for this Britney song with 2 #1s, 10 Top 5 rankings and 13 Top 10 rankings! Such an iconic song/video from her and loving seeing lots of positive comments here!

- Slayy at "Try Again" coming in 2nd! :wub: Such a classic Aaliyah song/video here. Another song with fantastic rankings here - 3 #1s, 8 Top 5 rankings and 13 Top 10 rankings - with no rankings lower than #13. That's so amazing there!

- Ahh yayy very pleased and happy with "Say My Name" coming in 1st and winning! :wub::clap: Oh wow I did struggled and kept switching my #2 and #3 around so it was a toss up. Wow I wonder if I had mixed those, if SMN and TA would have tied. 😮 But yess this is another iconic song/video and one of Destiny's Child's greatest. :wub: My comments said it all here, but yes so happy to see this win. ❤️ A perfect winner! ❤️ Love all of the comments here on this song! Congrats to Lily and Akshar on having their #1 win too. 

Wow the Top 3 were in a class of their own with those 6.31, 6.18 and 6.06 ratings. 😮 

2 hours ago, jarmon said:

me  @ @*Wallace  writing an essay for *NSYNC :giggle:

hugs @*Lily for us having impeccable taste with our #1's :wub:

LOL I did essays for all of my write-ups. :dead: Well namely.... my Top 12, I think? :lmao: I can't help express myself with the songs I love. :haha: 

1 hour ago, 1234567890 said:

My Top 4 was the Top 4. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Say My Name indeed. 👏 Congrats on Destiny’s Child. 🙏

Ooooh I noticed that while looking at your rankings. 😮 Same with my Top 4 (and actually Top 5). ❤️