Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

3 minutes ago, *Chris said:

A few of them.

I wish I could say I was surprised by your ranking of my queen, but I wasn't :giggle: 

Secretive, I see. :giggle: 

Ughh nooo, I'm sorry. :dead: I do love that song, but I just love all of these songs. 😭 I wish I wasn't so full of love and loving everything. 🤣

8. KRYPTONITE - 3 DOORS DOWN

9oQExop.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 2

CRISIS: 4

ELLIOTT: 5

REI: 6

PRISCILLA: 8

B-B: 9 

CHRIS: 12

DEREK: 12

GIGI: 12

LILY: 12

NICO: 12 

STEVEN: 13

AKSHAR: 14

DIANA: 15

WALLACE: 16

VICTORIA: 17

CRISIS

3 Doors Down had a few gems in the early 2000s, and Kryptonite is definitely one of them. I catch myself blaring out the chorus from time to time. :haha: 

CHRIS

When it comes to rock music, I am generally fan of songs that gets played on your every day radio which was the case for this song from 3 Doors Down. Plus, my siblings were fans of them, back in the day so I've heard this song, a lot in my youth.  And while I like the song, I am ranking it where I am ranking as it doesn't have the same impact as the songs above it.

STEVEN

I like this song. Although it's not one I would seek out to listen to, I wouldn't change the station if it came on the radio either.

WALLACE

929699c764a5fe3aad66765912eee689_w200.gi

Well done to 3 Doors Down's "Kryptonite" on making it through to the Top 20. This is one of those songs I do love but isn't one of those songs I was going to protect or advance or cut, which was pretty much the case with some of these songs in the teens range. I believe this was 3 Doors Down breakthrough hit and it's the song they are probably most known for, although I love a few other songs of theirs too. The lead singer, Brad Arnold, has a cool voice, and I like the storytelling approach of this song. I like how it starts off slowly but then how it slowly but surely picks up, and just rocks out on the chorus. I love the part where he sings:

I really don't mind what happens now and then
As long as you'll be my friend at the end 

If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?
If I'm alive and well, will you be there and holding my hand?
I'll keep you by my side with my superhuman might
Kryptonite

That chorus, in particular, is especially SO good! :bobo: Another part I love is where Brad sings: You stumbled in and bumped your head. If not for me then you'd be dead. Gah those are some deep lyrics. 😮 But I do love how the band rocks out with their guitars and drums on the breakdown section of the song too. I also love how Brad sings the chorus slowly (as the bridge of the song) but then picks it up into high gear once again. The music video is also REALLLLY interesting with the older gentleman playing a super hero. It's a fun video for sure!

7. COME ON OVER BABY (ALL I WANT IS YOU) - CHRISTINA AGUILERA

3HJDNRT.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 2 

LILY: 5 

PRISCILLA: 5

AKSHAR: 6

DIANA: 6

WALLACE: 6 

CHRIS: 7

VICTORIA: 7 

STEVEN: 9

CRISIS: 11

B-B: 13

DEREK: 15

REI: 15

ALEX: 18

ELLIOTT: 20

NICO: 20

WALLACE

original.giftumblr_pnpu4wAzBE1v72ye8o2_400.gifv

I was getting a litttlee worried for Christina Aguilera on the solo cuts round with "I Turn to You" (which even though I love that song, it was a fair/fine cut, honestly) and "What a Girl Wants" (which was ROBBED!), but I am glad "Come on Over Baby" survived those cuts because I think it would have been a disservice having no Christina in the Top 20 for 2000. I do really love "Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)" a lot from Christina. I often change my mind and am not sure on which song I prefer between this and "What a Girl Wants." Both would rank high and around this area for me, but I am glad at least one of them made it. This is such a fun, flirty and sassy little song from Christina and I love the feel/vibe of it. I wonder if people remember the album version of it..... which was kinda boring. So I was glad they spiced it up a bit for the album. 

I love how Christina starts off the song singing: Come on over, come on over baby. :bobo:

I love the opening verse and how she sings that part of the song. It is so much fun! Well, I love that whole verse from her but I love the latter part where she sings:

I know, you know, so baby don't
Pretend you won't, keep me guessing if you
You will or you won't
Don't wanna play that game with you baby

Then I also really love the chorus and find that really fun & catchy:
All I want is you, come over here baby
All I want is you, you know you make me go crazy
All I want is you, now baby don't be shy
You better cross the line
I'm gonna love you right
'Cause all I want is you

So fun and catchy! :bobo: I lovee it! 

From the second verse, I do love all of that section of the song but really love the parts where she sings: 

I'm not just talking
About your sexuality (your sexuality)
But I can't help myself
When you put your hands on me

Quite scandalous. :giggle: I love the breakdown section of the song with all of her dancing, and the sexy talking part of the song. That part of the song is so hot! :giggle: I also love the big build up of the song where she sings:

You give me...
What a girl feels, what a girl likes
What a girl needs, what a girl wants

Christina then slays it with all of her vocal ad-libs towards the end of the song, all of which I love from her. ❤️ I also really love the music video to this song. This is such a bright, colorful and spunky music video. Love all of the bright colors and all the choreography here! It's just so fun and entertaining to watch!

CHRIS

I expect some to tank this song and that's fine with me, but we cannot deny that this song is still a bop after all these years :bobo:

STEVEN

Very fun and catchy song. I like everything about Christina's delivery here.

CRISIS

One of Christina's better songs and one that just missed my personal Top 10. The video was cute as well.

6. DOESN'T REALLY MATTER - JANET JACKSON

AQIwP6Y.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 2

DEREK: 3

PRISCILLA: 4
GIGI: 7

B-B: 8

NICO: 8

VICTORIA: 8

AKSHAR: 9

ELLIOTT: 9

ALEX: 10

WALLACE: 10 

STEVEN: 12

CHRIS: 14

CRISIS: 14

DIANA: 16

REI: 16

WALLACE

12b1.gif12b2.gif

"Doesn't Really Matter" isn't quite up there as amongst one of my ultimate favorite Janet Jackson songs but.... it's also Janet, so I do still love this song regardless. :haha: Would I ever reject this song from making the Top 20? Of course not. I do also think this is quite an underrated song in her discography, so I am pleased to see it making the finals here. This song is so cute, fun and adorable. Janet's vocals are so angelic and heavenly. I just love how she sings on this song. :wub: I do love the part where she sings:

My love for you, unconditional love too
Gotta get up, get up
Get up, get up, get up and show you that it¡­ 

Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
Cause I'm in love with the inner being
And it doesn't really matter what they believe
What matters to me is you're in love with me 

Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
Cause I'm in love with the inner being
And it doesn't really matter what they believe
What matters to me is you're nutty-nutty-nutty for me

:bobo: :wub: 

The bridge section of the song is so soft and pretty. I love her voice there, especially the part where she sings: Cause my love will always be with you. ❤️ But then I love how she builds back up the song and she sings the part that goes:

Get up, get up, get up and show you that
My love is true, and it's just for you, uh

❤️

I love how she sings the chorus a little faster towards the end of the song. It's so fun and catchy. Lastly, I love the latter part of the song where she (or the backup singers) sings: 

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

I always loved those parts and the dancing she does alongside it. :bobo: 

I also love the music video and think it's so fun & adorable too. I love the little toy puppy in it. My favorite part is definitely that breakdown dance section. Janet tears it up and slays that choreography! :omg:  She makes it all look so good and effortless, I love it! :bobo: This is just another one of those songs that makes me so happy whenever I listen to it or watch the video and brings such happy memories. :wub: 

STEVEN

I don't really remember this one, so I gave it another listen. This song was a bit of a grower. As the song progressed, I ended up liking it enough to rank it 12th on my list though.

CHRIS

Janet is a queen, and this song is great but it's never been a top favourite of mine hence why I have to rank it near the bottom of my ranking.

CRISIS

I adore Janet Jackson. However, I haven't been as big of a fan of her stuff post-The Velvet Rope. This is no exception albeit this is one of her better songs in that era.

5. THE REAL SLIM SHADY - EMINEM

R-317115-1585991675-6724.jpeg.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 1

CRISIS: 3

ELLIOTT: 4

ALEX: 5

VICTORIA: 5

WALLACE: 5

GIGI: 6 

STEVEN: 6

PRISCILLA: 7

DEREK: 9

DIANA: 9 

CHRIS: 10

AKSHAR: 11 

REI: 11

LILY: 14

B-B: 17

CRISIS

Eminem was at his peak during The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show eras. This song is one of the biggest bright spots during those eras. The beat and lyricism were on point, and I consider this to be one of his best songs.

ALEX

Is Eminem still the #ProblematicFave or has he fixed his shit yet? Either way I've gotta rank it high.

WALLACE

s-lim-s-hady-eminem.gif

219_1483932890.gif

"The Real Slim Shady" is such an iconic song and music video from Eminem. :bobo: It's one of my all-time top favorite Eminem songs as well. Even though I have a ridiculous amount of favorite songs that I love from 2000, I am glad that Elliott & I were able to advance this together. I had millions of ideas/suggestions of what to go with but thankfully Elliott geared us into a direction and we ended up choosing this song as this was certainly a song I wanted to see here. :yes:

I really loved it when Eminem made these fun comic Slim Shady records in his earlier music, often with his first singles of his first four albums. Of those songs, this always stood out as my favorite though I loved the others too. Lol I love how this song starts off with the whole "will the real slim shady, please stand up? Oh dear, we're gonna have a problem here." :lmao: Eminem kills it with his rap verses. I just love his style of rap and how he raps here. But oh wow, Em certainly does says some ouf ot the box wild things here. Yeah I understand some of it can be a bit much. But I also think he has some humorous and fun parts in here too. This is also one of those rap songs where I think I pretty much know a good amount of the lyrics and can rap along with it. Not perfectly per se but I think I can do my best.

Some of my favorite parts from Em on the first verse are where he raps:

It's the return of the... "Ah, wait, no way, you're kidding
He didn't just say what I think he did, did he?"
And Dr. Dre said... nothing, you idiots!
Dr. Dre's dead, he's locked in my basement! (Ha-ha!)
Feminist women love Eminem
[*Vocal turntable: chigga chigga chigga*]
"Slim Shady, I'm sick of him
Look at him, walking around grabbing his you-know-what
Flipping the you-know-who." "Yeah, but he's so cute though!"
Yeah, I probably got a couple of screws up in my head loose
But no worse, than what's going on in your parents' bedrooms
Sometimes, I wanna get on TV and just let loose, but can't
But it's cool for Tom Green to hump a dead moose
"My bum is on your lips, my bum is on your lips"
And if I'm lucky, you might just give it a little kiss" 

Of course they gonna know what intercourse is
By the time they hit fourth grade
They got the Discovery Channel, don't they?
"We ain't nothing but mammals.." Well, some of us cannibals
Who  other people open like cantaloupes

:dead:

I CAN NOT at that Dr. Dre line. But omgg I LOVE it where he goes into the woman's voice and imitates his critics against him in that voice. Lol the "but he's so cute though." :lmao: I love the speed of how he raps some of his lines. Then that chorus is so addicting, catchy and I really love it!

'Cause I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady
All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating
So won't the real Slim Shady please stand up
Please stand up, please stand up? 

'Cause I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady
All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating
So won't the real Slim Shady please stand up
Please stand up, please stand up?

:bobo:

Omggg Eminem brings some more fun, craziness and insanity into the second verse of the song. Ahh it's kinda awkward because he does diss and come for some of my favorite people. I won't say I approve per se, but.... again, I like the humor and don't take it too seriously, I guess. :haha: I do love his delivery of his lines of what he raps about though. Some of my favorite parts there would be: 

You think I give a about a Grammy?
Half of you critics can't even stomach me, let alone stand me
"But Slim, what if you win, wouldn't it be weird?"
Why? So you guys could just lie to get me here?
So you can, sit me here next to Britney Spears?
Yo, Christina Aguilera better switch me chairs
So I can sit next to Carson Daly and Fred Durst 

And there's a million of us just like me
Who cuss like me; who just don't give a f**k like me
Who dress like me; walk, talk and act like me
It just might be the next best thing but not quite me!

LOL I love that part in the video where he's dressed as Britney. :lmao: And lol at all of those Slim Shadys that are with him on the second chorus of the song. That is.... quite insane there. :haha: I do love the third verse of the song here and that's probably the verse I can remember/rap to the best of all the verses. I may have spent some times trying to learn the song back in the day. :giggle: Some of my standout favorite parts there are where he raps: 

I'm like a head trip to listen to, cause I'm only giving you
Things you joke about with your friends inside your living room
The only difference is I got the balls to say it
In front of y'all and I don't gotta be false or sugarcoated at all
I just get on the mic and spit it
And whether you like to admit it [*err*] I just sit it
Better than ninety percent of you rappers out can
Then you wonder how can kids eat up these albums like Valiums
It's funny; 'cause at the rate I'm going when I'm thirty
I'll be the only person in the nursing home flirting 

And every single person is a Slim Shady lurking
He could be working at Burger King, spitting on your onion rings
[*hach*] Or in the parking lot, circling
Screaming "I don't give a f**k!"
With his windows down and his system up
So, will the real Shady please stand up?
And put one of those fingers on each hand up?
And be proud to be outta your mind and outta control
And one more time, loud as you can, how does it go?

Wow he raps so insanely fast at that last part of the song too. It's so good. As I mentioned, the music video is iconic and I absolutely love it! Eminem dressed as Britney, those imitation *NSYNC guys and just everything about the music video is so fun and entertaining! :haha:

STEVEN

I was surprised how much I ended up liking this song after listening to it again all these years later. Although some lyrics are a bit out there, it's an undeniably catchy song with easy replay value.

CHRIS

Growing up, I was obsessed with this song and the music video. And shocking to everyone, I found myself still enjoying the song so I am giving it a good ranking.

- "Kryptonite" was the only remaining song not in my Top 10 so I'm good with it showing at #8.

- Well well, there goes Elliott's #20 finally showing up. Not too surprised that it's Christina's "Come on Over Baby." And darn I was so close to having my Top 6 match up the actual Top 6 here.... :dead: But that's okay! Really strong and great rankings for this song - with all of those Top 7 rankings. Happy this managed to do so well with #20s in there. Chris telling it here!

- Janet's "Doesn't Really Matter" coming in 6th! ❤️ Yeah higher than where I ranked it but it's Janet so I can't complain with this. She got lots of great high rankings and most of these rankings within the Top 10. And no rankings below #16...... very goood, and very well liked amongst us.

OMGG My Top 5 matches the actual Top 5 of this ranking! :omg: Wow, I can't believe. I'm loving this!

- Wow, I'm shocked but super happy to see "The Real Slim Shady" ranking this high and making it all the way to #5! :omg: Lots of really high and great rankings here! I was expecting to see more lower rankings so I am surprised that's not the case here. Nico ranking this at #1. 😮 I was not expecting that but yayy! 😄 Lol Alex's comment..... good question because I don't even know. Also Chris' comments of being obsessed with this song/video.... a rap song/video. I AM the most shook HERE. :omg::dead:

31 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I thought Doesn’t Really Matter was gonna show up earlier so I’m very happy to see it make it to #6 :wub:

Ahh yeah I wasn't expecting DRM to rank so high as I didn't know or think it was really a hugely beloved Janet single here, but I'm not mad at it. ❤️ 

15 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

wait did we really leave Britney, Aaliyah, Beyonce, and Justin? pretends_to_be_shocked.gif

:dead: 

31 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Top 4 songs are very “quintessential 2000 music” to me. Would be happy to see any of them win, although rooting for my #1 or #3 in particular. ❤️ 

Yeah sameee. These songs and artists were all about my 2000 life and songs I was obsessed with/would always play on that year (and well into other years of course). :haha:❤️