Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

15 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Victoria’s right it’s always rap that’s done dirtiest on IDF. Didn’t the music rankdown only have Kendrick representing rap in the entire endgame or something?

Only Kendrick Lamar and that's only because he had @NGM, @*Wallace , @Elliott and I to help him out. @Deeee quit so he doesn't count. :giggle:Rappers like Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, DMX, Eminem, The Notorious B.I.G. and Kanye West were all snubbed. Even Lauryn Hill was snubbed as well. :closedeyes: I don't even think TLC made the endgame which would have at least included Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes. 

• Sad 1

Just now, 1234567890 said:

Only Kendrick Lamar and that's only because he had @NGM, @*Wallace , @Elliott and I to help him out. @Deeee quit so he doesn't count. :giggle:Rappers like Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, DMX, Eminem, The Notorious B.I.G. and Kanye West were all snubbed. Even Lauryn Hill was snubbed as well. :closedeyes: I don't even think TLC made the endgame which would have at least included Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes. 

TLC and Lauryn Hill made the Top 40, but we’re eliminated right before the final cut round.  I had to do both of their write-ups and it just shading IDF for having bad taste.

However, most of the rock acts were gone long before that. Only Nirvana and Led Zeppelin even made the Top 100 from what I remember. (And I guess Alanis if you count her with Jagged Little Pill.)

12. THAT'S THE WAY IT IS - CÉLINE DION

uvQYrDr.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1
GIGI: 1

ELLIOTT: 3 

LILY: 7

AKSHAR: 10

DEREK: 10 

STEVEN: 10

DIANA: 13

VICTORIA: 13

REI: 14

NICO: 15

ALEX: 17

WALLACE: 17

B-B: 18

CRISIS: 19

PRISCILLA: 19

CHRIS

Is this my absolutely favourite song in this Top 20 ? Not really. But I have a feeling that some people will rank it low and I want it to have a good showing - I am a Céline Dion stan so this ranking shouldn't be that shocking. Anyway, I was obsessed when this song was first released and I am still am with it, til this day ; I actually feel that it's among her most "underrated songs" to have been released as a single.  Anyway, she can do no wrong in my book hence why I am ranking her at number one !

STEVEN

I can't remember the last time I heard this song, but I enjoyed it after giving it a listen now. It's a nice, uplifting song, and Céline sounds great as always.

WALLACE

e177e95644413ef122625f8448e64eff.gif

Ahh I do love "That's the Way It Is" and do consider it one of my favorite Céline Dion songs. I'm not sure where it ranks for me amongst her songs, but probably somewhere in my Top 6 favorite songs of hers? Ugh I'm sad I have it ranked this low but ugh just sooo many good songs here. :broken: I just love the upbeat uplifting feel of this song. It has a positive feel to it and just one of those songs that makes me smile. Céline sounds beautiful on it and sings it really well, obviously. She also sounds like she is giving some good helpful advice with the lyrics she singing. Just so uplifting. ❤️ I do love the chorus where she sings: 

When you want it the most there's no easy way out
When you're ready to go and your heart's left in doubt
Don't give up on your faith
Love comes to those who believe it
And that's the way it is

I also love the part from the second verse where she sings:
But it's plain to see, if you stick together
You're gonna find a way, yeah

I also love how she sings and sounds on the bridge of the song, which is so soft and pretty:

When life is empty with no tomorrow
And loneliness starts to call
Baby, don't worry, forget your sorrow
'Cause love's gonna conquer it all, all

And then boom, she powers through and delivers some big power vocals after that! I love all of her power vocals and vocal range she showcases at the end there. This is such a great, uplifting song and one of my favorites from Ms. Céline.

CRISIS

A decent song but not among my favorites of this group.

11. SMOOTH - SANTANA FEAT. ROB THOMAS

MV5BZTliMjg4ODUtOWFmNC00NzAzLTgwM2UtYTIwYWRkMjc4NjQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA1OTk3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

REI: 2

ALEX: 3

NICO: 3 

STEVEN: 5

DEREK: 6

LILY: 8

CRISIS: 9

PRISCILLA: 11

B-B: 12 

CHRIS: 13

WALLACE: 15

ELLIOTT: 17

GIGI: 18

VICTORIA: 18

AKSHAR: 19

DIANA: 20

ALEX

Everyone who worked to prevent this from making the finals...electric chair

STEVEN

"Smooth" is an awesome song, and I can't believe how polarizing it is. The instrumentation (especially Santana's guitar work) and Rob's delivery all comes together perfectly to make a very cool song. It's a song that may have been overplayed, but it's one I never got tired of listening to. 

CRISIS

This song was everywhere during it's heyday. The beat, Santana's guitar work, and Rob's smooth voice all came together to create this classic jam. It was a great renaissance for Carlos Santana.

CHRIS

A song that I enjoy but I think I would have preferred Maria Maria over this one.

WALLACE

tumblr_os9gihcPMz1r5zq6ao1_500.gifv

tumblr_os9gihcPMz1r5zq6ao2_500.gifv

Oooh that was quite a battle in the voting round between "Smooth" and "Back at One." Ugh it was tough and really sad to lose "Back at One," but I love "Smooth" too, so I am happy for this advancing through too. But I'm also sad "Maria Maria" couldn't be in with this song too, UGH. I did decide to regretablely vote against this song, because I remember it being more of a 1999 song for me over a 2000 song. This song had such an iconic and legendary chart run where it was released in June 1999 and did very well on the '99 charts but carried over and was still a huge hit in the early 2000 charts and did really on the 2000s charts too. I think me getting kinda tired of this in 2000 was my reason for voting against it, pretty much. :haha: That's not really the case now. "Smooth"'s success was legendary and deserves to be here though.

Santana had such a huge era with that Supernatural and this song with Rob Thomas, was the one to start it off! I do really like Rob Thomas' voice and how he sings on this song. He sounds very cool on this. Of course, I love Carlos' Santana guitar playing as he just kills it so effortless on the guitar here. :bobo: ! I especially love his guitar playing on the bridge of the song. :omg: The chorus is a lot of fun and so addicting here too.

And if you said, "This life ain't good enough."
I would give my world to lift you up
I could change my life to better suit your mood
Because you're so smooth 

And it's just like the ocean under the moon
It's the same as the emotion that I get from you
You got the kind of loving that can be so smooth, yeah.
Gimme your heart, make it real
Or else forget about it 

So fun, catchy and addicting! :bobo: But another part I love on this song is where Rob sings: 

I hear your name calling me out
Well I'm from the barrio,
You hear my rhythm on your radio
You feel the turning of the world so soft and slow
Turning you 'round and 'round. 

This is a great classic song. The music video is also great and a lot of fun here too.

10. MUSIC - MADONNA

gOgD82t.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 4

REI: 4
NICO: 6

AKSHAR: 7

DEREK: 7

DIANA: 8 

CHRIS: 9

GIGI: 9

PRISCILLA: 10

B-B: 11

VICTORIA: 11

WALLACE: 12

ALEX: 16

ELLIOTT: 18

CRISIS: 20 

STEVEN: 20

CHRIS

Another bop from Madonna, were we surprised ? Nope as she continually delivers !

WALLACE

madonna-music.gif

I really love "Music" by Madonna and do think of it as one of my favorite Madonna songs! I'm not exactly sure where it ranks amongst my favorites from her but I think it's up there. I just love how fun and dancey this song is. :bobo: I dare you to not dance or bop to it. It's hard not to. I do love how she starts off singing the song singing: 

Hey Mr. DJ put a record on
I wanna dance with my baby

Then I also really love the chorus of the song where she sings:

Music, music
Music makes the people come together
Music mix the bourgeoisie and the rebel

:bobo:

Madonna is preaching the truth. Because music really does bring the people, as it does in this game. Even though it can also break us apart with our differing opinions. But from the second verse, I love the part where she sings: I like to boogie-woogie. Such a cute and fun part. :giggle: I also love how she repeats the first chorus as the bridge later on in the song. 

I love the instrumental music at the end of the song, especially that part that goes: Do you like my acid rock?.

I also love the music video and think it's a lot of fun. Madonna is straight up big pimpin' in this video. Oooh I love the animation in the breakdown part of the song. Omg Madonna just kicking butt and beating that DJ to play music herself. :dead: Ooh then omgg Madonna with the strippers and having a good time here. I was probably too young to be watching this video when it was out but #oops. BTW, that guy playing the DJ, Ali G, is soo hilarious in the video. This is such a catchy song with a fun video, and I am happy to see it in the finals.

CRISIS

First, I'll say none of the songs here are bad. However, this one is my least favorite of the bunch. It's never been one of my favorite Madonna songs.

STEVEN

Sorry, I'm not a fan of Madonna.

9. I TRY - MACY GRAY

artworks-6HZTP6YvDeDw-0-t500x500.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

REI: 3

B-B: 4 

CHRIS: 5

ALEX: 6

NICO: 7

AKSHAR: 8

CRISIS: 10

DIANA: 10

ELLIOTT: 10 

LILY: 10

WALLACE: 11

VICTORIA: 15

GIGI: 16 

STEVEN: 17

DEREK: 19

PRISCILLA: 20

CHRIS

I've always been a fan of this song & Macy's tone - always thought that she's actually underrated by many. Anyway, I forgot this song existed until a few years ago when the song was performed on "La Voix" and this contestant named Hanorah delivered a fabulous version during the battle round, and ever since then, I found a greater appreciation for this song & Macy's talent.

ALEX

I am a Macy Gray stan first and a human being second.

CRISIS

Macy's voice is polarizing. It's one it took me some time to get used to but appreciated it when I did. She was like a precursor to Fantasia. Anyway, this is a great song and one I'm glad to see here.

WALLACE

macy-gray-i-try.gif

I love "I Try" from Macy Gray and think this is such a beautiful song from her. I remember how big and popular this song was for Macy back when it was out. This is such a great song that earned her lots of success including winning the Best Female Pop Vocal Performance award at the 2001 Grammy Awards. I do love how Macy starts singing the song softly and slowly at the start. She sings with such heartfelt emotion here. The chorus is such a great part of the song that goes:

I try to say goodbye and I choke
I try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not near
Goodbye and I choke
I try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not near

Aww Macy. 😢

From the second verse, I do love the part where she sings: 

I may appear to be free
But I'm just a prisoner of your love
I may seem alright and smile when you leave
But my smiles are just a front, just a front

Gosh a lot of her lyrics make me sad with what and how she sings them. :broken: The bridge is another great part of the song. I love that whole section of the song, but I love the parts where she sings:

Here is my confession
May I be your possession
Boy, I need your touch
Your love kisses, and such 

I play it off, but I'm dreaming of you
I'll keep my cool, but I'm fiendin

The music video is really nice too. It's really cute and sweet where she meets up with her dream guy and is happily in love. So cute and sweet. ❤️ This is a great song from Macy Gray here. I feel like it is very well liked here and I can see it ranking well, which I hope it does.

STEVEN

Macy Gray's voice just isn't my favorite, sorry.

34 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I like everything in the Top 20 including my #20. :dead:

This is me, but no one is surprised. :dead: :lmao: 

34 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Victoria’s right it’s always rap that’s done dirtiest on IDF. Didn’t the music rankdown only have Kendrick representing rap in the entire endgame or something?

Exactly. :yes: 

It was a CHORE trying to protect rap artists on the Musician rankdown because they were dropping like flies and done dirty there. :( They seem to be doing better here so far, at least.

30 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Actually, out of my go-to genres, it's musical/showtunes & french music that's done dirty on IDF  😘 :giggle: 

OK you got a good point here too. :haha: 

24 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I’m shook. :omg: I was nervous after losing some of my other faves in the earlier rounds but I do love so many of these songs. :haha:

Ahhh yess, I totally get that feeling. :haha: 

I still got my Top 6 remaining out of this Top 12, so I'm happy there. :wub: 

17 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

This is all accurate. :( 

15 minutes ago, Elliott said:

TLC and Lauryn Hill made the Top 40, but we’re eliminated right before the final cut round.  I had to do both of their write-ups and it just shading IDF for having bad taste.

However, most of the rock acts were gone long before that. Only Nirvana and Led Zeppelin even made the Top 100 from what I remember. (And I guess Alanis if you count her with Jagged Little Pill.)

TLC made the Top 40. I think that was the public noms round. But Lauryn Hill got eliminated before Top 40, on that round where we could save 4 artists (2 artists at a time). 2Pac was also eliminated that round.

- Pleased with "That's the Way It Is" coming in at 12th. I was kinda hoping to put it higher but it was one one of those spots where I really struggled on how to rank songs. Love Chris' comments on this song and do get how this song can be underrated from her singles discography.

- Well done to "Smooth" getting to 11th here. OMGGG Alex's comment. I can't with him there. :dead: I do love this song despite voting against it but I am happy to see it ranking really well here. Not too surprised that the rankings are polarizing here. I do agree with Chris on preferring "Maria Maria" making it here over this one. Ugh Imma have regrets all over again. :/

- Wow I'm kindaa surprised with Madonna's "Music" making it all the way to 10th. No Top 3 rankings either? 😮 And Derek only ranked it 7th? All very surprised with all of this. :haha:

- I'm good with Macy's "I Try" coming in at 9th too. Wow so many #10s for this song. Kinda crazy to see all of that here. :haha: omgg Alex's comment has me kinda cracking up here. :haha:

12 minutes ago, Elliott said:

My #20 in the Top 8....

892ea842c5e8ba008dec3b84fca9a3f5d5737abc

:dead: 

I was thinking it was either the Christina or *NSYNC songs that you have at #20. 😮  Also was thinking it could have been "Music" or "Smooth" but those showed up at #17 and #18 for you. :haha: 

I think from all of what's left, I have all my Top 6 remaining (which I was not expecting), as well as #10 and #16 remaining. :omg: I can't complain about this! I'll be happy with any of my Top 6 winning as I LOVE all of those songs so much. They are amongst my all-time favorite songs! ❤️ 

30 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

DIANA: 13

VICTORIA: 13

REI: 14

NICO: 15

ALEX: 17

WALLACE: 17

B-B: 18

CRISIS: 19

PRISCILLA: 19

13th to 15th :
Why Would You Do This Isabella Gomez GIF by One Day At A Time