Forgotten performances/contestants that deserve more attention

Mistake006

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I really liked the Valerie/Enid battle.

I was going to say this too! It's insane they decided to give that amazing battle the montage treatment.

Some other ones that I encourage everyone to listen to:

• Moushumi (Wicked Game) Her tone is out of this world. She deserved to go so much farther that season.
  • Whitney and Shannon vs. Gabriel Violett (More Than Words) I still think Gabriel was the clear winner and Whitney and Shannon only won due to being a duo and a 4 chair turn, but they both did great.
  • Halle Tomlinson (New York State of Mind) She deserved to go so much farther. I especially love the studio version, although she sounded good live too. Her battle against Belle Jewel also sounded good in the studio (got montaged so we didn't hear it live). 
  • Maye Thomas (Roses) I've never seen her mentioned here, but she's so different from everyone else that's been on the show. 
  • Katriz Trinidad vs. Blessing Offer (Do I Do) One of the warmest and happiest battles from this show. The fact that Katriz was able to outshine someone with so much more experience was super impressive. Katriz should've gone SO much farther.
  • Courtney Harrell (River Deep Mountain High) Literally one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen. I have no idea why I've never seen it mentioned here, unless I'm just not looking hard enough, which is definitely fathomable.
Edited by ikwonic
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Mistake006 said:

What are some old performances/contestants you like that no one ever talks about anymore?

great thread, the seasons pass by so quickly I forget a lot of the good performances 

I made this thread before, but I don't remember how much traction it got.

6 hours ago, ikwonic said:
  • Courtney Harrell (River Deep Mountain High) Literally one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen. I have no idea why I've never seen it mentioned here, unless I'm just not looking hard enough, which is definitely fathomable.

:yes:  I mentioned River Deep, Mountain High from Courtney Harrell in my original thread. It's AMAZING.

- River Deep, Mountain High (Courtney Harrell)

- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road // I've Got The Music in Me (Alexa Capelli)

- Bleeding Love (Hanna Eyre)

- All I Could Do Was Cry (Sharane Calister)

- Leave Your Lover (Caity Peters)

- I'm Your Baby Tonight (Maharasyi + Davon Fleming)

- I Want You // Living For The City (Jason Warrior)

- Shake It Out (Darby Walker)

- These Dreams (Jackie Verna + Stephanie Skipper)

And many more! I just went through my spotify playlist, which I only started adding to about 1-2 weeks ago, so it's pretty underdeveloped. These were a few of the performances that I think aren't mentioned much here (most of them are ones that are popular/mentioned often). 

• Like 2

Just now, QueenCami said:

I made this thread before, but I don't remember how much traction it got.

:yes:  I mentioned River Deep, Mountain High from Courtney Harrell in my original thread. It's AMAZING.

- River Deep, Mountain High (Courtney Harrell)

- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road // I've Got The Music in Me (Alexa Capelli)

- Bleeding Love (Hanna Eyre)

- All I Could Do Was Cry (Sharane Calister)

- Leave Your Lover (Caity Peters)

- I'm Your Baby Tonight (Maharasyi + Davon Fleming)

- I Want You // Living For The City (Jason Warrior)

- Shake It Out (Darby Walker)

- These Dreams (Jackie Verna + Stephanie Skipper)

And many more! I just went through my spotify playlist, which I only started adding to about 1-2 weeks ago, so it's pretty underdeveloped. These were a few of the performances that I think aren't mentioned much here (most of them are ones that are popular/mentioned often). 

You know? I know everyone had the perception that all of Darby's performances weren't great, but honestly, I always find myself enjoying this one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grey_Raine said:

You know? I know everyone had the perception that all of Darby's performances weren't great, but honestly, I always find myself enjoying this one.

I didn't watch the season live, and I think I've only listened to "You Don't Own Me" (because of her iconic dedication), but her studio of that is really great to me!

Another performance I really like that isn't really talked about is Sarah Grace's performance of "Dog Days Are Over", I especially love the part where her voice goes really soft and she uses a bit of falsetto. The studio of it is great too.

Dave Fenley and Kameron Marlowe’s Knockout Matchup (Both country guys took a risk by singing non-country songs and were both great. Too bad Dave flopped and Kameron got robbed in playoffs)

Davon Fleming’s Blind Audition, Knockout and Playoff (All performances are a 10/10, it is a bummer that he always got bad song choices throughout Lives).

Johnny Gates’ A Million Reasons (A great song flip, but was matched against Gwen’s frontrunner’s breakout performance)

S5 Lives can have their own list. Will’s Hey Brother is probably the most underrated of these (so good but nobody remembers it). Jacquie’s WLY is also her most underrated 

Gyth’s Playoff (I mentioned in another thread that he was liked earlier in the season before GBTUSA, which ruined his reputation, but this was the only one of his Live covers that fit him).

Also in S16, Dexter’s HWU and Anything Goes (which got me to believe he deserved 2nd in that finale), Shawn Sounds’ A House Is Not a Home (Probably the best male R&B vocal performance besides Chris and Cam) and Rod Stokes’ WAMLAW.

I guess it makes sense that most of my list would include males, considering this is IDF.

Edited by Cookie73

9 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Dave Fenley and Kameron Marlowe’s Knockout Matchup (Both country guys took a risk by singing non-country songs and were both great. Too bad Dave flopped and Kameron got robbed in playoffs)

Kameron has the last laugh with Giving You Up hitting the country charts!

Also, I feel Koryn Hawthorne's audition and her How Great Thou Art performances get overlooked in favor of Make It Rain. 

1 hour ago, Cookie73 said:

Kameron in general had a criminally short and underrated Voice journey. He truly didn't have a bad performance. All of his performances were varying degrees of great. He just had the misfortune of being in a season that had a lot of artists that overlap with him genre-wise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ~Tom~ said:

Kameron has the last laugh with Giving You Up hitting the country charts!

Honestly can't believe how successful he has gotten in spite of the show. Can't happen to a more deserving guy IMO.

1 hour ago, Cookie73 said:

Absolutely agree. One of my favorite KO pairings to date. Loved how they both got out of their comfort zones and delivered.

• Like 1

Cory Jackson`s short run on S17. His journey was cut short in the battles. (I still don`t get why), but I believe he could have given Hoot some competition had he moved on with Blake to the lives. The country and drama combination may sound unappealing on paper, but I dug it.

• Like 6

This is the best studio track to come out of Season 14 IMO. I was LIVID when this performance was the victim of the dreaded KO montage that season. The fact that this track actually charted pretty high on iTunes despite being montaged should tell you how good this was. I truly think if this wasn't montaged, Team Adam would have looked very different that season.

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Daillon said:

Josh Kaufman - Love Runs Out

I hate that this was overshadowed by his second song All of Me that night. It was a much needed upbeat number from him. It showed how versatile he was.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

This is the best studio track to come out of Season 14 IMO. I was LIVID when this performance was the victim of the dreaded KO montage that season. The fact that this track actually charted pretty high on iTunes despite being montaged should tell you how good this was. I truly think if this wasn't montaged, Team Adam would have looked very different that season.

I loved this! Reid Umstattd is underrated in general.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Cory Jackson`s short run on S17. His journey was cut short in the battles. (I still don`t get why), but I believe he could have given Hoot some competition had he moved on with Blake to the lives. The country and drama combination may sound unappealing on paper, but I dug it.

Agreed. Cory was very underrated and deserved to go further. He had a really good audition and deserved to beat Zach in the battle, as I found him more entertaining and better vocally. I really liked the country with a theatrical twist. He could have easily made Blake’s T3 if he won the battle (I only thought Ricky was deserving out of the people that made it)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

That format screwed him bad, I`m still mad about that. Despite the montage, he would have still gotten a PV had it been a normal format. He was second on BOTH playoffs night based on stats (Twitter was our indicator on the  S14 playoffs). And then he didn`t get the save.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

I hate that this was overshadowed by his second song All of Me that night. It was a much needed upbeat number from him. It showed how versatile he was.

He did the S20 finale upbeat-ballad thing already that night, and he nailed both.