Jump to content

Fodder contestants that made it farther than expected?


Recommended Posts

I know it doesn't happen TOO often, but who are some contestants who clearly weren't meant to make it far that had surprisingly long runs? Chloe Hogan is the most obvious one after she got paired against Gwen's literal favorite, Lain, and then against "her baby" Carter. Gwen clearly tried getting rid of her any chance she got, but she still made it to the lives. Are there any other examples that anyone can think of?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's not super infrequent for a fodder contestant to make it to the playoffs; in fact, I'd say that it would be hard to find a recent season in which each member of the playoffs had a substantial chance of moving onto the next round. However, someone wouldn't really be fodder if they got the PV, so I'd look into coach saves and perhaps WC winners of the playoffs to look for fodder that made it impressively far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if S16 was a normal season, Andrew Sevener would be KO fodder. However, due to the circumstances, he ended up reaching 4th place.

 

Another S16 one would be Oliv Blu. She would have never made the Top 12 if it weren't for the format.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few ones (who also happen to be some of my favorites and I´m glad they made it far):

  • Laith Al Saadi: 2 chair turn, considered as a whole to be more of a guitarrist than a singer, and was by far the least pimped contestant on Adam´s team. (They always left him for the last episodes, not nearly enough emphasis on him).  I was reading some of the past IDF comments during S10 (before the purge took them away), and many expected him to be gone in playoffs. (Old users of IDF didn´t like him as well, until the Top 11, where he begin getting praise). 
  • Jesse Larson: 1 chair turn that IDF saw gone in battles at first lol. And then people thought Hannah or Lili were Adam´s frontrunner. Nope, it was Jesse. And yet very few people expected him to make the finale on T8 night. We all know how that turned out.
  • Chris Kroeze: Probably the ultimate example of this. Way less pimped and showcased than the other Team Blake men in the pre lives, he was expected to be gone in playoffs, and yet he got PV. And then, he beat Kennedy in the semis. And if that´s not enough, he got runner up, over Kirk.
  • Andrew Sevener: In a season full of country men, he was at first considered the weakest, and fodder. He got thrown up against a trio and survived. He continuosly got PV, and managed  to get the IS into the finale.
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Aliyah Moulden. 
 

Brennley Brown. 
 

Hello Sunday

Aliyah had Blake behind her, and the killer 2 part game changer: Getting emotional during her top 10 song (I´m sure that was geniuine, but it did help her with votes), and singing a gospel song at the semis after that. If Blake thought of that, it was pure genius.

 

Hello Sunday definitely surprised me. I did not expect them to go far, but the idea of a young duo turned out to be more appealing to the audience that I thought.

Edited by Misirlou
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Brennley Brown. 

If she got a better song in the SF, do you think she could have made the finale?

4 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Hello Sunday definitely surprised me. I did not expect them to go far, but the idea of a young duo turned out to be more appealing to the audience that I thought.

They're a sucker for the "nice young girls duo" thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

If she got a better song in the SF, do you think she could have made the finale?

They're a sucker for the "nice young girls duo" thing


Probably not. Most of the country support had moved to Lauren by that time. She would have had to beat out Aliyah, who had the pimp spot with a Christian song. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TeamAudra said:


Probably not. Most of the country support had moved to Lauren by that time. She would have had to beat out Aliyah, who had the pimp spot with a Christian song. 

Interesting, that makes sense. I really like Brennley, but I didn't watch at the time so I had no idea how much support she had. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Interesting, that makes sense. I really like Brennley, but I didn't watch at the time so I had no idea how much support she had. 


She let out the loudest shriek I’ve ever heard after being called safe one week, and just went a little overboard with her excitement every time. I think that might have been the beginning of the end for her. We talked about this during that season. How they conduct themselves on results night matters. Facial expressions, what they say, how they say it, body language....viewers don’t miss anything. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TeamAudra said:


She let out the loudest shriek I’ve ever heard after being called safe one week, and just went a little overboard with her excitement every time. I think that might have been the beginning of the end for her. We talked about this during that season. How they conduct themselves on results night matters. Facial expressions, what they say, how they say it, body language....viewers don’t miss anything. 

Yeah, I totally get why she'd be excited, but I think that out of respect for the other contestants and just in general for TV purposes it's best to try and keep one's composure. I can imagine that would be very difficult though, I tend to be a very excited/excitable person so I know how it can be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Aliyah Moulden. 
 

Brennley Brown. 
 

Hello Sunday

I liked Aliyah more than others on here during her season but yeah, I was absolutely shocked that she propelled herself to near-frontrunner status. Also the same season: Jesse Larson.

 

I didn't expect Brennley to make it past KO's but she made Up to the Mountain super memorable. She never quite reached that level again for me, but still interesting to see how far she went after that.

 

Hello Sunday was weird because it was seriously just one of them carrying them the whole time (although I think the other one improved a lot since then?). Weak blind, okay battle, okay KO, I don't even remember playoffs but I DO remember that note in All By Myself. Still bizarre to me that they almost made the finale, but it is what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Hello Sunday was weird because it was seriously just one of them carrying them the whole time (although I think the other one improved a lot since then?). Weak blind, okay battle, okay KO, I don't even remember playoffs but I DO remember that note in All By Myself. Still bizarre to me that they almost made the finale, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I think Chelsea has improved a lot.

 

I think my issue with them is that they each have strengths that complement each other (Chelsea on the soft notes and Myla on the big ones) but they seemed set on splitting up the big notes and the soft notes evenly, to their detriment. If they gave Myla the big notes and Chelsea the soft ones, they would have been way better. 

 

If you want to see Chelsea at her best on the show, it's when she was doing the softer notes at the beginning of the T8 performance - it was really beautiful.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One artist that first came to my head was: Kristen Merlin from Season 6

 

got montage twice during the pre-live rounds but still managed to reach the semis, if I can recall? iconic :haha:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...