Weirdest Battle Pairings (that worked or didn’t)

TheVoiceFan2

Some that were weird on paper but actually worked imo (usually works because of song choice but still)

• Terrence Cunningham vs Livia Faith
  • Celia Babini vs Karly Moreno
  • Cam Anthony vs Emma Caroline
  • Lauren Frihauf vs Payge Turner
  • Roderick Chambers vs Joanna Serenko
  • Madeline Consoer vs Eli

Some that were weird on paper and did not work 

• Tate Brusa vs Anders Drerup
  • Gihanna Zoe vs Halley Greg
  • Tanner Gomes vs Skylar Mayton (imma assume this one didn’t work cuz this pairing alone deserves a mention....wtf Kelly?)

wdyt?

Weird but worked:

Reid Umstattd vs Davison - Love on the Brain

Jake Wells vs Natalie Brady - Closing Time

Rodrerick Chambers vs Joanna Serenko- When the party is Over

Lowell Oakley vs Kimberly Nichole- Hound Dog

Toneisha Harris vs Jacob Daniel Murphy- Good as Hell

Weird and didn´t work:
Gihanna Zoe vs Halley Greg - Thinking Out Loud

Tate Brusa vs Anders Drerup - Circles

Cam Spinks vs Kailey Abel - What Ifs

Carter Lloyd Horne vs Lili Joy- I Got You Babe (There´s a reason why this got montaged).

Echoing some of the pairings mentioned above.

Worked:

Cam vs Emma - 10,000 Hours

Roderick vs Joanna - When The Party's Over

Jake vs Natalie - Closing Time

Reid vs Davison - Love On The Brain

Keisha vs Noah - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Rebecca vs David - Unchained Melody

Jake vs Steve - Always On My Mind

Didn't work:

Gihanna vs Halley - Thinking Out Loud

Joana vs Matthew - High Hopes

Carter vs Lili - I Got You Babe

Jordan vs Keegan - Calling All Angels

I didn't know where to put these but they were definitely weird:

Alex vs Injoy - Home

John H vs Julia - Summer Soft

I think Jej vs. Beth was kinda weird on first glance because their genres are waaay different to each other. But it worked well, so..

- Matthew Schuler vs. Jacob Poole (pop vs. rock? 😏 lol)

- Kimberly Nichole vs. Lowell Oakley 

- Troy Ritchie vs. Menlik Zergabachew

- Caroline Burns vs. Mike Schiavo (weird weird weird)

- Lucas Holliday vs. Meagan McNeal

56 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

- Matthew Schuler vs. Jacob Poole (pop vs. rock? 😏 lol)

What a great battle. Man, pre - Top 8 week Matthew could very well be in contention for the best contestant ever. I´m not kidding. Starting with the Top 8 week, it was like a completely different person on that stage.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Someone648 said:

I hate that it's not on Youtube but Aaron Gibson vs. Sa'Rayah? Miley somehow pulled this off and it was FANTASTIC:

https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/323517/The-Voice-2016-Battle-Aaron-Gibson-vs-SaRayah-Ill-Take-Care-of-You/

Best battle of the season in my opinion.

Also, I know they were KO pairings (and it´s still weird in paper), but imagine Desz and Sid battling it out like this. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I hate that it's not on Youtube but Aaron Gibson vs. Sa'Rayah? Miley somehow pulled this off and it was FANTASTIC:

https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/323517/The-Voice-2016-Battle-Aaron-Gibson-vs-SaRayah-Ill-Take-Care-of-You/

WOW! They fricking crushed it. I've listened to the studio version but this was super impressive too, and you get a lot more of their texture and individuality when they haven't smoothed it over.

2 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Also, I know they were KO pairings (and it´s still weird in paper), but imagine Desz and Sid battling it out like this. 

Totally! I think Sarayah's tone is pretty different than DeSz's though, and the way Sarayah attacks some of the belty notes is different to me. However, they would both have probably crushed this, too.

Weird, but worked:

Ashley Morgan vs. Mia Z - "Put the Gun Down"

Caroline Burns vs. Mike Schiavo- "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" (yes, yes, I know. *rme*)

Hello Sunday vs. Lauren Hall - "Wrecking Ball"

Gina Constanzo vs. Peyton Parker - "Borderline"

Josh West vs. Nala Price - "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (I know, I know; and how this got montaged while the messes that were Johnny H. vs. Julien and Kawan vs. Malik were aired, I will never know)

Weird, and didn't work:

Alisan Porter vs. Lacy Mandigo - "California Dreamin'" (how Lacy got stolen after that, I don't know; Alisan slayed, though)

Janelle vs. Tiana Boston - "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?"

Angel Bonilla vs. Gary Edwards - "When You Believe"

Gihanna Zoe vs. Halley Greg - "Thinking Out Loud"

7 hours ago, Misirlou said:

What a great battle. Man, pre - Top 8 week Matthew could very well be in contention for the best contestant ever. I´m not kidding. Starting with the Top 8 week, it was like a completely different person on that stage.

I couldn't have said it better myself. His song choices in the later rounds were eeehhh. (he really flopped hard on his performances during his elimination week, except I think Story of My Life was somehow decent, WAMLAW on the other hand though..)

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

TASTE!! I so so love that battle and I thought Aaron was well-deserving of the win (I thought Sa'Rayah was better off with Alicia anyway)

• Like 1

Weird Pairings But Worked Well:

Karly Moreno Vs. Celia Babini- Karly carried this battle! Her unique tone was amazing!

MaryBeth Byrd Vs. Dane + Stephanie 

Myracle Holloway Vs. Elise Azkoul

Chris Weaver Vs. Katrina Feigh

Roderick Chambers Vs. Joanna Serenko

Kendra Checketts Vs. Kim Cherry

Andrew Jonnakos Vs. Patrick McAloon

Patrique Fortson Vs. Colton Smith 

SandyRedd Vs. Cody Ray Raymond

Edited by VoiceSelf12

Adding Lindsay vs Zae....not sure if it worked tho, considering one was MUCH stronger than the other in the battle. I mean, after their blinds I would’ve never thought of them as a battle pairing that could work, even tho I didn’t hate the song for them, they were just off for some parts. I’m gonna say it worked, considering the song choice and overall battle worked for Lindsay (pop-musical theatre and was stronger in the battle) but it worked for Zae because... he won ig lmao

2 hours ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Adding Lindsay vs Zae....not sure if it worked tho, considering one was MUCH stronger than the other in the battle. I mean, after their blinds I would’ve never thought of them as a battle pairing that could work, even tho I didn’t hate the song for them, they were just off for some parts. I’m gonna say it worked, considering the song choice and overall battle worked for Lindsay (pop-musical theatre and was stronger in the battle) but it worked for Zae because... he won ig lmao

zae just got overpowered to me. his tone is cool, but i would say its comparable to dana vs. devan, almost (but dana vs. devan was another level, probably)