Take #2: American Idol Season 19 Semi-Finals (Top 24 + Twist)

Idol Maniac

7 hours ago, mytake1 said:

The girls are going to cancel each other out.  Too many big voice vocalists.   The singer song writers, musicians have fared better with ABC Idol.  Exception being Just Sam.  But all indicators are that  she was dropped by the label after only 6 mos.

I’m not sure if that’ll happen this season. Last year had a lot of diva singers but they mostly flopped during the first live from home performances. Cyniah, Makayla, and Olivia all chose bad songs. Lauren was good but never had much of a personality. Grace Leer was oddly both the country girl and one of the bigger voices, and she got voted through. 

This year’s belter girls seem more seasoned to me. And in past seasons, big voiced girls have gotten pretty far. Gabby, who was pretty much the only “big” voice in the Top 10 that year (other than maybe Jurnee if you count her) and Madison VanDenburg. Then of course Sam from last season. I just think the caliber of the belter singers is higher this year so I’m expecting better things from these girls. 

The guys on the other hand, I think there are too many indie, singer-songwriter types and some are bound to cancel each other out. 

P.S. Of course this is all just how I expect them to do on the show, not after the show. I’m not expecting the next Kelly Clarkson. 

Edited by Carrie_On
  • Like 2

Yeah in my opinion a lot of the guys blend together this season and none of them really have the wow factor compared to the girls. Also, the only people I would call powerhouse vocalists of the girls we have in the Top 24 so far are Grace, Alyssa, and Alanis. The rest are kinda niche or in other genres. 

Edited by m1key

The viewers voted for a girl to win last season.  And Just Sam could sing. Her range was probably better than some of the guys.

A year later, Idol acts as if she doesn't even exist.

Edited by mytake1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

The viewers voted for a girl to win last season.  And Just Sam could sing. Her range was probably better than some of the guys.

Do they also act as if Arthur Gunn doesn’t exist?  I have yet to hear much about him.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

They didn’t give a crap about last season once Covid took over. You could tell they were ready to get it over and done with. Plus, their focus seems to be on Gabby and for some reason, Alejandro. 

4 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

The guys on the other hand, I think there are too many indie, singer-songwriter types and some are bound to cancel each other out. 

I agree with your analysis and predictions, and I see that happening with the guys, especially the WGs. Beane is in a league of his own though with his vocal range and techniques, so I hope he'd be able to make Top 12. From the indie guys, Wyatt has something special in my book, and I hope he can be one of the guys who advance. 

Edited by jazzontherocks

30 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

They didn’t give a crap about last season once Covid took over. You could tell they were ready to get it over and done with. Plus, their focus seems to be on Gabby and for some reason, Alejandro. 

Pretty much gave up on them after the show ended... Kinda like where Laine is right now...

Alejandro may not be swimming in album sales but he knows how to make his music heard. 🙂 

33 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

Yeah, they might not have acted like Just Sam never existed had the coronavirus not occurred.

And the reason why I mentioned Arthur was because Alejandro and Gabby were not winners and they were heavily promoted.  And I think that the main reason for that is that they didn’t compete in a season shortened by a pandemic while Arthur and Just Sam did.

37 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Yeah, they might not have acted like Just Sam never existed had the coronavirus not occurred.

And the reason why I mentioned Arthur was because Alejandro and Gabby were not winners and they were heavily promoted.  And I think that the main reason for that is that they didn’t compete in a season shortened by a pandemic while Arthur and Just Sam did.

They only cared about Gabby because she had a big song.  They never even signed her.  Caleb Hutchinson wasn't promoted.  

There is still a pandemic. 

• Like 1

So the big contenders whose auditions were aired for the last spot are...

Amanda Mena 

Ash Ruder

Abby LeBaron

Laila Mach

Liahona Olayan

Althea Grace

Vahhley

Brianna Collichio

Liv Grace Blue

Ava August

Cameron McGhar

R’eh

Erika “ET” Perry

Christian McGuckian

DJ Johnson

Nia Renee

Celeste Butler

Heather Russell

Of course, they could always put through a girl who we haven’t even seen yet. I think

my final guess is gonna be Amanda Mena but it’s a tough call because I thought a lot of these girls would be in the Top 24. 

Edited by Carrie_On

12 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

I don't believe Just Sam getting dropped 6 mos after winning was because of Covid.

Because 19 Recordings, the record label arm of American Idol producer, 19 Entertainment signed Francisco Martin, Julia Gargano, Grace Leer from last season. 

And Alejandro (and Laine) are still signed with Hollywood Records.

Edited by mytake1

Just now, mytake1 said:

But 19 Recordings, the record label arm of American Idol producer, 19 Entertainment signed Francisco Martin, Julia Gargano, Grace Leer from last season. 

And Alejandro (and Laine) are signed with Hollywood Records.

I don't believe Just Sam getting dropped 6 mos after winning was because of Covid.  Idol would be sabotaging their own brand.

I don’t think the label wanted her to win. She had a good voice but I don’t know what kind of artist you would classify her as. I was surprised that she won and 19 probably was too. I was a Julia stan lol. I think the producers were ready to get that season over with and didn’t really care who won, but were probably fine with Sam winning from a television standpoint. She had an uplifting story and was a fitting winner for the rough time the world was having last year, but I think they knew she wasn’t gonna take off after the show.

3 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

I don’t think the label wanted her to win. She had a good voice but I don’t know what kind of artist you would classify her as. I was surprised that she won and 19 probably was too. I was a Julia stan lol. I think the producers were ready to get that season over with and didn’t really care who won, but were probably fine with Sam winning from a television standpoint. She had an uplifting story and was a fitting winner for the rough time the world was having last year, but I think they knew she wasn’t gonna take off after the show.

That doesn’t explain why they dropped her so quickly though. They could have waited until there was a new season and use COVID as the reason for not putting out music in the meantime. 

20 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

That doesn’t explain why they dropped her so quickly though. They could have waited until there was a new season and use COVID as the reason for not putting out music in the meantime. 

Maybe they had differences of opinions on what kind of music she should release? Or maybe she decided she was happier busking for money on the subway? I just don’t think she was the winner the label wanted and didn’t want to put a whole lot of money or time into her. 

so far the top 24 this season pales in comparison to last year. they should have done a redo of season 18. 

curious as to what happened to Sam and why she wasn't signed. kind of explained why she deleted everything on her instagram (it is all back now..) wonder if they will invite her to sing on the show like laine and maddie.  

My point about Just Sam - she's a good singer.  But it doesn't work that way in the real world.  That's why a lot of so-called good singers from Idol struggle after the show.  With labels and the industry, it's about who can bring something different and who can generate buzz and make them money - with minimal investment.

• Idol Maniac changed the title to American Idol Season 19 Semi-Finals ("Top 24" + Twist)