Take #2: American Idol Season 19 Semi-Finals (Top 24 + Twist)

Idol Maniac

Group 1
- Alana Sherman
- Alanis Sophia 
- Alyssa Wray 
- Andrea Valles
- Anilee List
- Ava August
- Beane
- Benson Boone
- Cassandra Coleman
- Caleb Kennedy
- Casey Bishop
- Cecil Ray Baker

Group 2
- Chayce Beckham
- Deshawn Goncalves
- Colin Jamieson
- Grace Kinstler
- Graham DeFranco
- Hannah Everheart
- Jason Warrior
- Madison Watkins
- Mary Jo Young
- Hunter Metts
- Willie Spence
- Wyatt Pike

These would be the groups if that is the case. Group 1 has 8 females/4 males, Group 2 has 4 females/8 males. Hopefully they dont do it this way because Group 1 is wayyy too stacked and the genders are too unbalanced. 

24 minutes ago, idolfan1234 said:

What are the groups for?  I thought you said Top 24 is only one week and there are celeb duets too

One Sunday 12 people go and do their solos and duets, and on Monday the other 12 people go and do their solos and duets. 

Edited by m1key

Oof, why not just split it by genders? So

many girls with “A” names and guys with “C” names. 

If those are the groups and we’re getting a Top 16, I’d be happy with this:

Group 1 Cuts:

1. Alana Sherman
  2. Andrea Valles
  3. Ava August
  4. Caleb Kennedy

Group 2 Cuts:

1. Colin Jamieson
  2. DeShawn Goncalves
  3. Graham DeFranco
  4. Hannah Everhart
Edited by Carrie_On

No one has given me any thoughts on this yet, but I’ll try again. So Benson is suspected to make top 24 right... but he is NOT in LA like the other contestants????? THOUGHTS PLS

he is with lead singer from Imagine dragons in Las Vegas (tik tok)

Edited by VoicexIdol

all my faves are in Group 1 and should easily dominate tbh (knock on wood)

Group 2 is more competitive bc I feel like they're all on the same playing field (except maybe grace/jason)

11 minutes ago, VoicexIdol said:

No one has given me any thoughts on this yet, but I’ll try again. So Benson is suspected to make top 24 right... but he is NOT in LA like the other contestants????? THOUGHTS PLS

he knows how to social media, so he's probably misdirecting - i can't see him not in the T24, bc he's really the only one in his lane (teen heartthrob bait) 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VoicexIdol said:

what thoughts are there to have? for now we just have to assume he is still in the Top 24 lol.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, holinessss said:

all my faves are in Group 1 and should easily dominate tbh (knock on wood)

Group 2 is more competitive bc I feel like they're all on the same playing field (except maybe grace/jason)

he knows how to social media, so he's probably misdirecting - i can't see him not in the T24, bc he's really the only one in his lane (teen heartthrob bait) 

Yeah for sure! Lol I’m just panicking, going through scenarios😂😂 thanks for the thoughts tho 🙂 appreciate it

21 minutes ago, VoicexIdol said:

But Benson is currently in Las Vegas, so that tik tok is not old because he posted a Snapchat at the airport lol (more info for you guys) 😂😂 I’ll just consider myself a dedicated fan lol

I think hes fine and still made it, maybe he had somewhere else he HAD to be? i wouldnt worry about it too much.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VoicexIdol said:

Maybe he decided to drop out?  It looks like he is working with Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons.  That's a better offer than Idol.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Maybe he decided to drop out?  It looks like he is working with Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons.  That's a better offer than Idol.

Dan might be his celebrity duet partner.

• Like 3

Here’s my comments on the Top 24 by gender, beginning with the guys:

1.  Beane:  not the absolute strongest voice among the guys but he’s very charming.  The comparison to Mr. Rogers is warranted.

2.  Benson:  very good but he’s competing with Beane for the cute boy vote and I think Beane is better.

3.  Caleb:  definitely good enough to make the Top 24 but he’s competing with Cecil for the male country singer vote.

4.  Cecil:  not really my cup of tea but he’s good enough to make the Top 24 at least.

5.  Chayce:  very good.  I can certainly see him making the Top 10 if he picks the right songs.

6.  Colin:  likely cannon fodder.  He did well to make it to the Top 24, though.

7.  DeShawn:  whoa!  He is very good but he’s competing with two other black guys and he could be left out.  But I hope not.

8.  Graham:  another singer who I think is cannon fodder.  Still good enough to make the Top 24 though.
9.  Hunter:  enjoyable but I think that Beane and Benson are better and thus he might be left out in the cold.
10.  Jason:  another very good singer but when compared to DeShawn, I think that he’s a tad too screechy.

11.  Willie:  probably the strongest male singer in the Top 24.

12.  Wyatt:  he’s also very good but I agree with Carrie that we need to hear him do covers.

And here’s my comments on the girls:

1.  Alana:  sadly, she’s cannon fodder.  Heck, she was part of a montage with another singer, that should say something!

2.  Alanis:  big voice, and one who could become one of my favorites this season.  She just needs to make smart song choices.

3.  Alyssa:  she’s the type of female singer I go for — one who can bring the house down!  One of my favorites.

4.  Andrea:  another girl who might be cannon fodder.  Although at least she wasn’t in a montage.

5.  Anilee:  another singer who is a favorite of mine but in her case, it’s because she has a disability, even if it’s not Asperger’s.  She’s a very good singer as well.

6.  Ava:  the fact that she’s also in a montage with another singer is proof that she too is cannon fodder.

7.  Casey:  another top-notch female singer.  I preferred her second song to her first, but mainly because it’s more my cup of tea.  I’m not fond of Motley Crue or other heavy metal singers.

8.  Cassandra:  while not my favorite singer, she’s certainly talented enough to get far in the competition.

9.  Grace:  she’s another belter, but she might be a little screechy for my tastes.  Still very good though.

10.  Hannah:  the weakest of the Top 12 girls but she is the only country girl and might last a week because of it.

11.  Madison:  another big voice but of the belter girls, I think that she’s the most likely to be cut first.

12.  Mary Jo:  kind of in the middle of the pack vocally but she could get far since some of the big voices might cancel each other out.

9 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Here’s my comments on the Top 24 by gender, beginning with the guys:

1.  Beane:  not the absolute strongest voice among the guys but he’s very charming.  The comparison to Mr. Rogers is warranted.

2.  Benson:  very good but he’s competing with Beane for the cute boy vote and I think Beane is better.

3.  Caleb:  definitely good enough to make the Top 24 but he’s competing with Cecil for the male country singer vote.

4.  Cecil:  not really my cup of tea but he’s good enough to make the Top 24 at least.

5.  Chayce:  very good.  I can certainly see him making the Top 10 if he picks the right songs.

6.  Colin:  likely cannon fodder.  He did well to make it to the Top 24, though.

7.  DeShawn:  whoa!  He is very good but he’s competing with two other black guys and he could be left out.  But I hope not.

8.  Graham:  another singer who I think is cannon fodder.  Still good enough to make the Top 24 though.
9.  Hunter:  enjoyable but I think that Beane and Benson are better and thus he might be left out in the cold.
10.  Jason:  another very good singer but when compared to DeShawn, I think that he’s a tad too screechy.

11.  Willie:  probably the strongest male singer in the Top 24.

12.  Wyatt:  he’s also very good but I agree with Carrie that we need to hear him do covers.

And here’s my comments on the girls:

1.  Alana:  sadly, she’s cannon fodder.  Heck, she was part of a montage with another singer, that should say something!

2.  Alanis:  big voice, and one who could become one of my favorites this season.  She just needs to make smart song choices.

3.  Alyssa:  she’s the type of female singer I go for — one who can bring the house down!  One of my favorites.

4.  Andrea:  another girl who might be cannon fodder.  Although at least she wasn’t in a montage.

5.  Anilee:  another singer who is a favorite of mine but in her case, it’s because she has a disability, even if it’s not Asperger’s.  She’s a very good singer as well.

6.  Ava:  the fact that she’s also in a montage with another singer is proof that she too is cannon fodder.

7.  Casey:  another top-notch female singer.  I preferred her second song to her first, but mainly because it’s more my cup of tea.  I’m not fond of Motley Crue or other heavy metal singers.

8.  Cassandra:  while not my favorite singer, she’s certainly talented enough to get far in the competition.

9.  Grace:  she’s another belter, but she might be a little screechy for my tastes.  Still very good though.

10.  Hannah:  the weakest of the Top 12 girls but she is the only country girl and might last a week because of it.

11.  Madison:  another big voice but of the belter girls, I think that she’s the most likely to be cut first.

12.  Mary Jo:  kind of in the middle of the pack vocally but she could get far since some of the big voices might cancel each other out.

Great writeup, and I agree with all of your assessment. Here are two covers Wyatt did. XD

Beane is really great and a definitely a favorite of mine, although based on the judges' comments during his audition, I feel like he may be subject to criticism where everything he does gets questioned (like they might ask him what his genre is etc like in S10 with Haley Reinhart). 

Fast Car (Tracy Chapman) https://www.instagram.com/p/CMk3o0fJsSU/ 

Giving Up (Whitney)

Edited by jazzontherocks

On 3/18/2021 at 12:21 AM, m1key said:

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/shows/american-idol/episodes/410-all-star-duets-and-solos/

According to this description, the Top 24 is not the start of the live shows. However, voting will still occur. 

That's nothing out of the ordinary. The first couple of "live" shows are usually pre-recorded in case there's any errors or kinks they would run into that they didn't account for from dress rehearsals. With the first two ABC seasons (leaving S18 out for obvious reasons, as every episode had to be pre-taped), the first actual live show wasn't until the Top 14 Results/Wildcad performance episode. I would imagine it'll be the same situation here.

Edited by Elliott