Take #2: American Idol Season 19 Semi-Finals (Top 24 + Twist)

Idol Maniac

•   The female talent level is crazy high, the last time I had the kind of  feeling was in S11.

Based on the audition, the six girls below are really strong.

1. Casey Bishop - I'm really looking forward to this young lady.

2. Anilee List - I love her auditon, like her YT videos a lot.

3. Mary Jo Young - Her voice is special, she's pretty mainstream to me. 

4. Alyssa Wray - The DIVA OF THE SEASON.

5. Grace Kinstler - THE DIVA OF THE SEASON.

6. Cassandra Coleman - I don't think she's unique or a standout but she has some heartfelt feeling in her tone that makes her kind of memorable.

Still not sure about these girls.

7. Ava August - Her tone is amazing but her YT videos bore me honestly, probably too young.

8. Madison Watkins - Her auditon did not do her justice at all.

9. Andrea Valles - Having watched her YT videos, she's good but nothing wow factor. Song choices determine her fate.

10. Alana Sherman - No comment here, still need to hear her more.

11. Alanis Sophia - Out of some big vocal ladies this season, she's the weakest. But maybe she's better than what I have heard from her.

12. Hannah Everhart - She's here for her tv personality.

For me, the boys I only like three so far.

1. Beane

2. Hunter Metts

3. Wyatt Pike

• Like 2

Wow, they really threw a curveball with some of the girls they chose lol. I’m not mad at it (except Hannah). Sad we lost a lot of strong female singers but you can only have so many belters. And so many “A” names. 

My early ranking and thoughts on the Top 24

Guys:

1. BEANE

He is so infectious and has a charming personality. I think he’s got a lot more to show us than what he gave in his audition. 

2. WILLIE SPENCE

Great voice and a little reminiscent of Ruben Studdard. He’ll give the big voiced girls a run for their money. 

3. HUNTER METTS

He has such a cool voice and even though his audition didn’t do him compete justice, he’s still a top favorite of mine. 

4. CECIL RAY BAKER

I love his rawness and how he seems like a throwback Idol contestant. Someone who is from the middle of nowhere with raw talent.  

5. CHAYCE BECKHAM

I don’t always care for the rugged male voices but he pulls it off and is a great storyteller. His whole vibe is cool. 

6. BENSON BOONE

I know he’s one of the fan-favorites but I kinda forget about him. He obviously has a great voice but I don’t think his audition quite did him justice. But he definitely has star quality. 

7. CALEB KENNEDY

He fits right into country music and his original song was probably the best we heard this audition season. He sounds like Luke Combs. His problem is that maybe he’s too young right now. 

8. WYATT PIKE

He’s good but I’ll have to hear him sing a cover before I call myself a fan. It’s hard to judge with these original songs. He reminds me of Sam Woolf for some reason, maybe his looks? But I’m kinda digging his Bob Dylan vibe. 

9. JASON WARRIOR

Technically a very good singer but I’ve heard him before and I don’t expect anything new from him on Idol. A little too much of a show-off. 

10. DESHAWN GONCALVES

Nice voice and an excellent piano player but a little boring for me so far. 

11. COLIN JAMIESON

He just seems... off to me. A little bit put-on and affected. His voice has some cool elements to it but I hope he really steps it up in Hollywood. 

12. GRAHAM DEFRANCO

Nice voice. Kinda John Mayer-ish but nothing memorable about him. 

GIRLS

1. CASSANDRA COLEMAN

I just love this girl! Authentic and sweet personality, an ethereal voice, very reminiscent of Florence + The Machine. I can’t wait to hear what she does each week. 

2. ANILEE LIST

She’s got all the tricks and runs up her sleeve. Hopefully she doesn’t overdo it but I think she had the best audition of everyone this year. 

3. CASEY BISHOP

A girl who can sing anything. Marketable and has star potential. If I had to pick an early guess for the winner, it would be her. 

4. ALYSSA WRAY

One of the divas this year. She has a huge voice and I think she’ll bring it when she gets on a studio set. She’s just got to be careful of not being too shouty. 

5. GRACE KINSTLER

The other belting diva. I actually think she should stay away from these old soul songs and try to be a bit more current, because she has a radio-ready voice. 

6. ALANIS SOPHIA

Another big voice but I think she’s definitely the most current of the belting singers. She’s one of the most marketable girls this year. I just hope she picks the right songs. 

7. MARY JO YOUNG

Speaking of current and marketable singers, this girl may be the most relevant singer this year. Definitely in the vein of Julia Michaels and Halsey. 

8. MADISON WATKINS

She has a very big pop star voice that I’m sure will sound great with a full band. I didn’t love her original song and she’s someone who’s gonna really have to make smart song choices to go far. 

9. AVA AUGUST

I’m a little surprised to see her on the list since her audition was kinda rushed through but I like her. She’s definitely one of the more unique girls and I thought she sounded good in her audition. A potential dark horse. 

10. ANDREA VALLES

Another girl I’m surprised beat out some of the competition. I’m guessing she improves in HW or she was put through as fodder. Her audition was fine. Her second song was definitely better. Right now I don’t see her going super far but she could be a surprise. 

11. ALANA SHERMAN

This girl could be a star in the real world but I don’t think she’s gonna do well on this show. She’s up against some huge voices and I don’t think being a pretty pop girl is gonna cut it. 

12. HANNAH EVERHART

Robbed someone else of a spot. Unless she improves drastically, I’m disappointed in her making it this far. She comes over as a poor man’s Amanda Overmyer to me and I think she’s one of those contestants like say, Eddie Island, who the judges just put through based on personality. 

01. Cassandra Coleman

02. Alyssa Wray
03. Casey Bishop

04. Anilee List

01. Wyatt Pike

02. DeShawn Goncalves

05. Grace Kinstler

06. Alanis Sophia

03. Brennan Hepler (A.K.A. Beane)

04. Jason Warrior
07. Mary Jo Young
08. Madison Watkins

05. Graham DeFranco
06. Benson Boone

09. Hannah Everhart
10. Ava August

07. Chayce Beckham
08. Willie Spence
09. Hunter Metts

11. Andrea Valles

12. Alana Sherman

10. Caleb Kennedy

11. Colin Jamieson
12. Cecil Ray Baker

3 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

8. WYATT PIKE

He’s good but I’ll have to hear him sing a cover before I call myself a fan. It’s hard to judge with these original songs. He reminds me of Sam Woolf for some reason, maybe his looks? But I’m kinda digging his Bob Dylan vibe. 

7. MARY JO YOUNG

Speaking of current and marketable singers, this girl may be the most relevant singer this year. Definitely in the vein of Julia Michaels and Halsey. 

Enjoyed your early review. Mary Jo definitely has a relevant sound. She also reminds me of Birdy and Ellie Goulding in her delivery style. 

I agree that Wyatt is good, and while we need to hear more covers from him, this is a great cover he did on his Youtube. Very John Mayer-ish. 

• Thanks 1

We may have our first contestant who leaks a bit too much. 

Madison first of all tried to say the hotel was her new home in Tik Tok as she’s apartment searching. Funny right? Good cover. 

but today on her Instagram story she posted thank you to her hair company for sending her flowers and you could see the message on the flowers that said congratulations on making the next round. 

If the general viewer has sense of time and how things are prerecorded, they will be able to put two and two together and know that she’s made it really far. 

Edited by Blirel

Murphy, Nia renee and Anthea grace didn't make top 24 and they were the only interesting ones for me.. :no:

the list looks like school field trip. maybe they should have change the name of the show to teen idol.  did they have anything against older contestants? because the comments they made to everyone over 20 something made me think they don't want older than 20.. maybe HR told them what demographic they need after failing with the last 3 winners.. someone they could control and mold.. 

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

If Anilee is involved in the twist, who else is involved, at least if it’s a duel?

If it’s a similar artist it would probably be Beane. I’m hoping I’m wrong though. I just feel like they have this kind of soul Yebba esque pop sound

this is if it’s like Lauren vs Grace. Hopefully it’s more like Neco vs Ben where it’s different genres

3 minutes ago, idolfan2021 said:

I completely agree with everything you said. I really like Benson Boone a lot too.

My worry is that Benson and Beane are competing for the same votes, but hope they can go far. Usually contestants with the same genre or vocal style tend to cancel each other out (like country vs country - I'm guessing only Caleb Kennedy or Cecil Ray will make the Top 12). 

Edited by jazzontherocks

4 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

I hate people having to fight their way into the Top 24 with a vote. Just pick your Top 24 and move on with it. 

I also think the same, actually. It's like Idol can't make a decision. If they want a Top 24, they should just finalise the list and not rely on a sing-off.

55 minutes ago, Blirel said:

If it’s a similar artist it would probably be Beane. I’m hoping I’m wrong though. I just feel like they have this kind of soul Yebba esque pop sound

this is if it’s like Lauren vs Grace. Hopefully it’s more like Neco vs Ben where it’s different genres

It’s probably two of the same gender, so if Anilee is doing a singing duel, it’s probably against another girl.