American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

Ahhh sorry! We started giving the COVID vaccines at work on Tuesday and it has been a ZOO, so I’ve been a zombie all week. But it’s the weekend and I’m off :ohyeah:. If you haven’t already started tallying I’ll finish this up quick. if you’ve already done it, I totally understand and feel free to start posting without me!

1 hour ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

Ahhh sorry! We started giving the COVID vaccines at work on Tuesday and it has been a ZOO, so I’ve been a zombie all week. But it’s the weekend and I’m off :ohyeah:. If you haven’t already started tallying I’ll finish this up quick. if you’ve already done it, I totally understand and feel free to start posting without me!

Congrats! Try to get it in soon! I'm hoping to post the first update this morning, but I've also been jumping from meeting to meeting lol so idk when I'll have the time.

20. Diana DeGarmo "Turn The Beat Around"

zw81XF7.png

16.6/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2N7kso5AA

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@JC - 9/20

@*Diana - 10/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 11/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@taylorkat - 14/20

@*Amanda - 16/20

@1234567890 - 16/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@~Tom~ - 18/20

@Alex95 - 18/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

@Elliott - 19/20

@sublymonal - 19/20

@FrogLenzen - 19/20

@*Chris - 20/20

@*Lily - 20/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 20/20

@#jeah - 20/20

@Crisis - 20/20

@NGM - 20/20

Steven

It was a fun performance, but the vocals weren't perfect in spots.

Alex

Yeah Diana clearly had a lot of fun here, but she got very lost in the song and couldn't really tackle it. There were much better performances, including performances from Diana, I would've much rather have seen included.

Wally

I always really liked Diana’s "Turn The Beat Around" and thought this was one of the 2 highlights on Gloria Estefan Night (the other being LaToya’s “The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You.”). While I do really like this performance, I knew it would be on the lower end for me on these rankings. Plus, I might be slightly bitter Carmen’s missed out as i like her version more than Diana’s. :giggle: But really, this was a really fun performance. Diana sang and performed this well. She really channeled the essence of the song and had so much fun with this. I especially enjoy the part where she sang it really fast. She certainly made Gloria proud which is great to see.

I initially had this down as an easy #20 as I prefer the other performances in this Top 20 more and other performances that missed out. But I found myself enjoying this more than I remembered on rewatch, which did make me put this up a spot to #19.

Elliott

I can't believe we let this performance make the final vote. That's nasty.

Andrew

Yes, this is the best version of this song we’ve seen on the show but it’s also still very camp.

Chris

Back on Season 2, I was a Diana fan and I remember enjoying this performance but it's clearly one of the weakest performance in this Top 20 - I will say that this is easily the best version of this song but #lowstandards.

Lily

A lot of fun! It doesn't really compare to some of the other great vocals in this group for me, but Diana always brought a super fun approach to her faster performances - even if some of those faster moments felt a little messy here.

Andy

Don’t really care for this.

Crisis

This was a fun and upbeat Diana performance; I would go as far as saying it’s the best version of the song done on the show. However, it’s an easy last place for me because while I enjoyed it, I don’t think it measures up to the other performances here.

19. LaToya London "Ain't Goin' Down ('Til The Sun Comes Up)"

bgQUY8T.png

14.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaBSXW4Mb1E

@JC - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 5/20

@Solaris - 9/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 10/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 14/20

@taylorkat - 16/20

@NGM - 16/20

@*Lily - 17/20

@Alex95 - 17/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

@FrogLenzen - 18/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

@#jeah - 19/20

@Crisis - 19/20

@1234567890 - 19/20

@Steven_ - 20/20

@goofycilla90 - 20/20

JC

again not one of my faves from her

Andrew

It’s HILARIOUS how good LaToya was during Country Week.

Elliott

ICONIC. The way she slayed such a fast-paced song that S2's resident country bro flopped with? Queen sh*t.

Chris

Major props to LaToya for making me enjoy a Garth Brooks' who is incredibly overrated, in my opinion. Anyway, this performance was the surprise of the night & season; The way she nailed this song >>>>. Anyway, the performance doesn't have the same impact as it used to have for me but it's still an excellent performance that defined her journey on Idol.

Lily

A difficult choice and unsurprisingly she really handled it with ease! Super fun performance. Because this is such a stacked group, I'm ranking it slightly lower as I just love so many of her other performances more.

Alex

I was very confused to see people rally behind this performance in the final vote when "Too Close For Comfort" was literally right there. Anyway, LaToya did kill it, as she killed everything this season. It's just a horrible song and not one of my favorite performances from her. It was impressive how well she did though.

Wally

Who would have thought that LaToya London would have slayed a Garth Brooks song on Country Night? And actually do a better job with this compared to country singer Josh Gracin from the previous season? 😮 LaToya had us all #SHOOK when she delivered a performance like this. I don’t even like or care for this song but I love LaToya’s version and what she did with this. I love how she was singing those verses super fast, and I love all of the fun, attitude and sass she had and brought to this song! :bobo: I’d say I Ain’t Goin’ Down (‘Til The Sun Comes Up. :bobo:  I just love how she mae this her own and had so much fun with this. She did seem to get a little out of breath at times of this, but honestly…. who wouldn’t be? She had to do all of this fast talk singing with no breaks for a breather. It’s absolutely insane. :dead: I love how she pulled off such a challenge and unexpected song like this. I hate ranking this so low at #18 but I just happen to love other performances more, but I do still love this.

Andy

She did well, but I don’t like the arrangement of the performance and I don’t think her voice suits the song. She sang the hell out of it though!

Crisis

While I liked this performance and think it’s the best version done on Idol, it’s my least favorite LaToya performance in this ranking. Personally, I’d like to have seen Too Close For Comfort here instead, but it is what it is.

Steven

A Garth Brooks song? Pass! But as for her performance, she sang it so fast and looked like she was struggling to keep up.

18. Jasmine Trias "Inseparable"

xL2eAKe.png

14.0/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcUqaqmq7G0

@JC - 1/20

@Steven_ - 3/20

@Solaris - 3/20

@1234567890 - 6/20

@*Wallace - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 11/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 12/20

@#jeah - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 14/20

@*Lily - 15/20

@*Diana - 16/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 19/20

@NGM - 19/20

@Elliott - 20/20

@*Amanda - 20/20

@~Tom~ - 20/20

@Alex95 - 20/20

@sublymonal - 20/20

JC

duh, no chance of this winning, but giving her #1 to honor her being my second fave behind JPL ❤️ 

Steven

A lovely performance from Jasmine. She delivered this beautifully, and it was her best of the entire competition.

Solaris

This performance has always resonated with me.  Probably because its her only great one.  Better than Kim Lockes.

Wally

I’m really glad that Jasmine’s "Inseparable" made it into the Top 20. I do think this is a genuinely great performance, by far Jasmine’s best performance and very deserving of making the final 20. I know she isn’t well liked on this forum, but I do hope people recognize this was a great performance and not let her overall run (which I can admit wasn’t so great) affect thoughts on this performance. One of my biggest goals for the Season 3 game was to get this performance in the finals, so being paired up with JC (whose favorite is Jasmine, I believe) on the advance a performance into the finals round, made this goal a success. ❤️ 

“Inseparable” was really such a gorgeous and stunning performance from Jasmine. Its often viewed as her signature song as she performed this a lot and recorded the song after this performance. This song sat in so well with her voice, and she sounded so beautiful on this. :wub: I enjoyed the opening verse but really loved it once she powered through the chorus.

We're like a flower to a tree

Like words to a melody of love

There's no way we could break up

No words that could make us blow our thing

We are just…. Inseparable

Sooo gorgeous! :wub: I really love how she belts out “love” at that part! ❤️

Back when this performance happened, Jasmine was one of my big favorites (probably 2nd or 3rd), so I’ll always have fond memories f this performance. Sadly she dropped through the course of the season but I’ll always love this performance, and enough so to rank it at 10th. I’m hoping this performance can rank better than I expect. I feel like this would come in 20th, which is fine as this is such a stacked group of performances but if it can get out of last and make it to 19th/18th or higher than I consider that a win. :haha:

Andy

I mean lol her run on AI was...questionable at best, but at least Jasmine will always have this performance. 

Derek

Jasmine was waaaay better than I remembered. Still absolutely pales in comparison to the divas, but I had memories of her being the worst of all time and she really isn't that at all

Lily

Probably her strongest performance and a fair choice of hers to make it to the top 20. She sounded lovely!

Crisis

Easily Jasmine’s best performance of the season. It’s too bad she couldn’t have more performances like this afterwards. :(

Chris

Love her or hate her, there's no denying that this performance was super good although it was my 4th or 5th favourite of soul night. And sadly for her, she peaked with this performance and was unable to deliver another performance of this caliber.  And while it is a good performance per Jasmine standard #lowstandards, I can't really justify having this any higher than this spot.

Elliott

I can't believe we let a Jasmine Trias performance make the final vote. That's nasty.

Alex

While this is obviously Jasmine's best performance, I'd still take the divas on their worst days over Jasmine on her best. It's a sweet performance, but she's just not on the level where she could perform something better than the rest of the top 20.

Andrew

I mean, was this good by Jasmine’s standards? Absolutely, but it shouldn’t even be in the conversation for the title so I’m ranking it last.

17. Fantasia Barrino "Something To Talk About"

WQOLBpd.png

13.8/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9ufdGCymI

@FrogLenzen - 9/20

@1234567890 - 10/20

@*Amanda - 11/20

@~Tom~ - 11/20

@taylorkat - 11/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@*Lily - 12/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 14/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@goofycilla90 - 14/20

@JC - 15/20

@Steven_ - 15/20

@*Wallace - 16/20

@*Chris - 16/20

@#jeah - 16/20

@Solaris - 17/20

@*Diana - 17/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 18/20

@NGM - 18/20

Elliott

ICONIC.

Lily

A great first performance for her, always really liked this one!

Crisis

A performance that never fails to put a smile on my face. I’d like to rate this one higher; however, the performances I have above it are all great.

Andrew

Again, makes me miss the days of uptempo performances

Alex

It makes me sad to see this performance rank so low, but I was surprised with how low I ranked it myself. I think there just isn't enough passion behind it with such a stacked group of performances. Fantasia delivered a great performance here though and I loved seeing her show off her personality. One of the most likable winners ever!

Steven

A fun, upbeat performance.

Wally

Fantasia’s first live shows performance! :wub: Fantasia certainly had and gave us something to talk about after this. :giggle: I love how she took such an unexpected song choice, made it her own and really had fun with this performance. She really took it to the church, owned the (small) stage and had so much fun with this. I really love how she sang the chorus and then probably loved the bridge section even more, even though that part was so short. Not right. Then the classic “yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah” at the end, loved those! I’m here for all of this! :bobo:

Chris

This performance is so memorable due to the fact that Fantasia started off her journey with an unexpected song choice and completely surprised everyone with her version. Ideally, I would have had other performance of hers over this one but some people do not like Fantasia & we can't have nice things.

Andy

Ugh this song just reminds me of Sanjaya lol. This is a fun performance from Fantasia, but far from her best. Either way this was her first live performance and she looked so comfortable on stage… a true natural talent from the start!

16. Diana DeGarmo "Think"

h88Rpve.png

13.8/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TapNUx_Rlis

@*Amanda - 3/20

@taylorkat - 3/20

@*Diana - 5/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@FrogLenzen - 10/20

@JC - 11/20

@*Chris - 12/20

@Steven_ - 13/20

@goofycilla90 - 13/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@Elliott - 17/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 17/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 17/20

@#jeah - 17/20

@NGM - 17/20

@1234567890 - 17/20

@Crisis - 18/20

@sublymonal - 18/20

@~Tom~ - 19/20

@*Lily - 19/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

Chris

Unlike Simon, this performance was my favourite of Top 12 night - the performance had energy and some good vocals but not to LaToya's level though; you could say that I enjoyed this more as I preferred the song to "Ain't Nobody".

Steven

I liked it. She looked confident on stage and showed off her big voice.

Wally

I was actually low-key hoping for Diana’s “Think” to make the Final 20 but didn’t know if it had a shot of making it there, so thank you Sola & Chris for advancing this. I am not entirely positive but I tend to think of this as my 3rd favorite Diana performance of her run? I just loved the fun and energy she had while singing and performing this. She’s such an infectious performer here. She did a lot of fast singing and hit some great big notes here. I love how she belted out those Freedom parts. Then some other parts I loved are where she sings: 

There ain't nothing you could ask I could answer you but I won't (I won't)

and

You need me (need me) and I need you (don't you know)

Without each other there ain't nothing we can do

This was such a fun way to close out a really strong Soul Night episode. :bobo:

Elliott

Meh. Not a good song pick for her and I didn't like her voice in it.

Andy

The older I get, the more insane seeing a 16 year old on one of these shows is to me! Not the biggest fan of Diana’s voice, but this is undeniably a powerful performance full of confidence.

Crisis

Think is a lively performance; however, I don’t think it’s as good as most of the performances here.

Andrew

I wasn’t really a fan of this performance.

Lily

This was a fun performance for Diana, allowed her to show her playful side and a nice closer to this round.

Alex

I probably should've ranked this last tbh. I mean it was a fine performance. Just your typical run-of-the-mill Idol performance. I'd give it a solid C or C+. There was nothing bad about it. Just nothing that makes it stand out as one of the best.

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 3 - 20-16 Posted)

Totally fine and content with Diana’s “Turn the Beat Around” coming in at #20. Lol I was surprised how much I enjoyed it on rewatch but I guess i was the only one to do so? :lmao: Although I am lol’ing that the higher rankers/biggest supporters of this performance didn’t say anything on this.

Also fine with LaToya’s AGDTTSCU coming in at #19. Loved this but forgot to mention, I would have preferred some other LaToya performances in the finals over this one. LOL I do agree with Chris on proprs to LaToya making me enjoy a Garth song too. :giggle: But danggg… what a jump from 16.6 to 14.7 from #20 and #19. 😮

Jasmine’s “Inseparable” making it to #18 (with 5 #20s) is definitely such a win for me. :haha:  This was really such a stacked group of performances here so Im not too upset at the ranking. Of course i wish it ranked higher though. Poor JC to lose his #1 already but i was totally expecting that to happen. But oh JPL was his favorite? Oops I was wrong there. Also another big jump from 14.7 to 14 is also so insane. :lmao: AND I KNOW Elliott isn’t talking of “can’t believe we let a Jasmine performance in the Top 20” when this guy let Ryan Starr’s actual trainwreck in the Top 20. 🙂  

Loved Fantasia’s STTA so I’m pleased with its #17 ranking. Agreed with Alex’s comments here. I also wanted to rank this performance higher than I did so I was sad that i couldn’t. :( It’s still so fantastic though. omgg Andy mentioning Sanjaya… lmao I totally forgot about his version of this song. :lmao:

Aww i would have liked Diana’s Think to rank a little higher than #16 but this is also a good spot for it too. Wow so many #17s for this performance too. :haha:

1 hour ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Damn, the Jasmine and Diana "haters" already out in full force. Inseparable at least should be higher.

Yeah, agree on the Inseparable comment. :( But as I said in my write-up, I was expecting it to come in last, so for it to come in at 18th and exceeding my expectations is such a win, imo.

Although I do fear for Diana's DCOL and NMT rankings. TTBA and Think showing up right now is fine ,but really hoping her other two can rank much higher.