Dancing with the Stars Rankdown 4.0 (Winner reveal page 201)

Solaris

5.  Meryl Davis

Season 18 - Winner

Partner: Maks Chmerkovskiy

DWTS Champs Meryl and Maks Are Together Again!

Average: 7.56

RANKINGS:

Amanda - 1/16

Diana - 2/16

Derek - 3/16

Megan - 3/16

Elliott - 4/16

Public - 11/16

Lily - 14/16

Wallace - 14/16

Alex - 16/16

AMANDA

Meryl Davis - It’s no secret that Meryl is my favorite DWTS contest ever. Not sure how I convinced you all to allow her to make the final ranking again, but thank you for that. Land thus probably won’t be as long as in past years because I’ve already talked about why I love her so much. I was a fan of Meryl’s long before DWTS thanks to her appearances at the Olympics and regularly followed her and Charlie’s skating careers, so I was thrilled when they were cast on the show. Meryl & Maks were an amazing partnership, were super consistent, never had a bad dance, and has wonderful chemistry together. They had everything that makes for a fantastic partnership on the show. They also had so many standout dances! I could name them all as highlights of the season because they really were. My top favorites are her Viennese Waltz, Tango, and Argentine Tango with Val. But really, I love every dance she did. Meryl is amazing and I’m so happy she won her season. I don’t expect her to win this Rankdown, so I’m happy I managed to get her into the Top 16.

DIANA

2. Meryl Davis

I feel like write up is admittedly a little hypocritical considering my Mel B write up. (Spoiler alert I am guessing because I am sure Mel B will place higher than Meryl Davis) but I think Meryl really shouldn’t win this rankdown either but I am still going to place her this high because I want her to place high and I fear she won’t because of the petty rankings of the other rankers. I don’t think she has a shot in hell of winning so I will place her 2nd because is my 2nd favorite dancer ever. Only Stacy is ahead of her (again spoiler? Probably not but even if it is LOL like I was ever going to place anyone else at #1) and it is pretty close. I don’t think we have ever or will ever have a more perfect partnership than Meryl and Maks. They never took a bad step and had the most incredible chemistry. No ever couple will touch them and I truly believe she is the best and most deserving mirror ball champion of all time. I won’t say much more because I expect Amanda to give her the write up she deserves but she is incredible and I am shook she made it this far after I cut Kristi.

DEREK

Meryl

Yes, of course it is utter bullsh*t that a world champion olympic gold medalist professional PARTNER DANCER was on DWTS. Oh well! She murdered everything. Feel So Close is probably my 2nd favorite DWTS moment of all time. And she killed everything else too. The Jive. The Argentine Tango. I was so terrified when she did contemporary for her freestyle because I usually hate that style on this show but it is just heartstoppingly amazing. I can’t put her any lower than this. I wouldn’t mind Meryl winning our game either, but something tells me that’s not going to happen. Watching Maks stress about having the best contestant of all time on DWTS was also amazing television. And he turned out amazing performances too. Wow, just a phenomenal experience. It was almost silly to watch everyone else try that season lol.

MEGAN

Meryl Davis

I STRONGLY believed Meryl and Maks had a rebound hookup after each temporarily broke up with their now spouses. I cannot and will not be dissuaded from this belief. Anyway, Meryl is peak Maks Chmerkovskiy and the culmination of all his dancing talents and choreography. And Meryl is just peak Meryl. Is she one of the Top Ringers on the show because her sport is essentially ballroom dancing on ice? Absolutely. But as we saw with Charlie, there needs to be something more there than just skill (it helps to have a better partner than Sharna to start out with). 

Anyway, I love Ice Dancing which is by far the most political of all figure skating. And potentially the reason Charlie and Meryl beat out Scott and Tessa in 2014. But whatever. We can talk about that later. She's brilliant on ice and she's brilliant on the show. One of the few whose dances I return to because I genuinely enjoy and remember them years after her time as a contestant. 

This is short because I'm sure Diana/Amanda will write novels.

ELLIOTT

MERYL DAVIS

I'm sure Amanda has already written enough about her (again) that I don't need to write much, but since I put her at #4, I do have to give her 100 words.

Obviously I love Meryl.  She was Maks's sole winning partner after he was shafted for so many seasons, and she completely slayed her season from the get-go. In my opinion, Meryl had the greatest run of any DWTS contestant, and Amy Purdy's average being so close to hers to ~build suspense~ is highkey disgusting.

Meryl didn't have a single bad routine. Or even a single mediocre routine. Or even a single "just good" routine. Everything she did was great. Everything she did was iconic. Her and Val in the switch-up week was also amazing - and actually my favourite routine of her run, oops.

One of the most deserving winners of all time and hopefully she places high.

PUBLIC

Amanda - 1/16

Diana - 2/16

Derek - 3/16

Megan - 3/16

Elliott - 4/16

To quote Megan, My only friends.  What the eff public?  Obviously Meryl is my favorite DWTS contestant ever.  I ranked her #1, so yes it shows how far my vote went to determining this gross 11th place.  I blame Chris.  That said, and absolutely brilliant dancer and skater.  Her and Maks are an all-time great partnership.  Why can't she place this high when I am a ranker?  Last year she had 3/4 #1 placements, and did worse.  That said, she is the last of the 4-way tie, as she had the overall higher rankings of the 3, with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place votes.

LILY

14. Meryl Davis
In at #14, I am ranking Meryl Davis. It has come to my attention that old IDF posts have resurfaced where I cut Meryl in the first rankdown. I take responsibility for this decision and with lengths of self-discovery I hope to show more respect for her run than I did then.

Congrats to Meryl on making it endgame for a second year running and to her fans there, Amanda in particular of course being her #1! When it comes to Meryl, I really loved her on the season. She was my favorite there and I was glad she got the win, both for her and Maks with his first win. My feelings on her is something I tried to go into more in my last write-up of her and it's hard to still work out how to explain it - for me, Meryl is undeniably one of the most gifted and technically excellent dancers the show has seen. However over time, she's slightly lessened as a favorite of mine. I think really I just don't find myself remembering a lot of her moments outside of her dances - she had a great relationship with Maks which we remember, but there are less standout moments which entertained me or I really think back to.

All that being said, she is of course an excellent dancer and a deserving winner of her season. Meryl was a huge ringer of course, but that does not bother me at all because I am forever #proringer! From the first week she and Charlie were both easy leaders of the pack and that pretty much continued throughout, with a couple of other dancers occasionally catching up with them. My favorite dance of Meryl's is actually her one with Val - it's probably one of my favorite dances from DWTS history. It is at an incredible standard (and honestly makes me wonder if I would have even more love for Meryl if she was partnered with Val throughout. Also if this gives us a full season of Danica/Maks hating each other then I'm sold). I think she only really had one not so strong week which is when Abby Lee Miller tried to critique her and Maks called out how much he disliked her on live TV - iconic.

From the semi-finals onwards, Meryl scored all perfect 30s and ended up with an incredible average score, the best we've seen on the show. I hope if I get more of a chance to go back and watch her run I can come around to her a little more because I did really like her during the season and would like her to be someone who stands out more for me. Nevertheless, this is a solid group and for now I have to rank her here.

WALLACE

Meryl Davis

0584ac8741d6a6d95901ed02205e80a0.gify6JVso.gif

I’m placing Meryl Davis at #14, which is lower than where i would rank her amongst these contestants, which would have actually been around #11 - sooo a slight tank. Reason being, I am sure Meryl will have four really high rankings (Amanda’s #1, Diana’s probable #3, Elliott’s Top 4 and a very high ranking from Megan). I have no clue regarding Derek but I can see her ranking very high too. I have to play this final end game hard, to help out my favorites out soo I am fine with lowering Meryl’s ranking here.

Meryl Davis is an Olympic ice dancer, who competed on Dancing with the Stars Season 18 where she was partnered with Maks Chmerkovskiy. Meryl & Maks proved to be a very strong partnership and ended up wining the season. Meryl is an interesting contestant for me because she was my favorite that season but I don’t feel I have that huge attachment/rooting type feelings for her as I do with a lot of my favorites. I don’t know why nor can explain it but maybe it was a case of her frontrunner status kinda bored and didn’t get me so excited? I do love her run on the show though.

- Her Cha-Cha was cute, fun and a good first dance to kick off her run.

- The Swing dance was a lot of fun and had great tricks.

- Her Foxtrot was really stunning and gorgeous. Loved it! 

- Her Argentine Tango with Val was amazing! Loved it and definitely amongst my favorite dances from Meryl.

- The Jungle Book Samba was cute & fun but one of my lesser favorites from her. Wasn’t too crazy about it.

- Her Feels So Good Tango is known for being an iconic dance. This was another strong & fantastic dance from her.

- Her Salsa was great and a lot of fun but I didn’t particular ~love it that much. I did really love the Team Loca Latin Freestyle she was apart of.

- Her Rumba was very beautiful. Her Samba dance duel with Danica & Val was underwhelming and a lackluster dance from two talented dancers. I think this was my least favorite of hers.

- Her Hound Dog Jive was really great and a lot of fun. I absolutely LOVE her “Just a Fool” Viennese Waltz. That was so seamless and gorgeous. That stands out as my favorite dance of Meryl’s (where would have moments of always rewatching t). 

- Her finale Argentine Tango with Maks was really great, but I didn’t love it as much as the one with Val. Her Latch Freestyle was beautiful. The Foxtrot/Cha-Cha Fusion was great but not a dance i remember as i tend to not remember most finale fusion dances.

I believe this is Meryl’s 3rd time making the finals here on the DWTS Rankdown so well done to Meryl and her fans on that!

ALEX

Meryl Davis

And no one was shocked. I've been pretty outspoken about how I feel about Meryl, but I guess now I get to do a full writeup about it . Meryl is just a bit overrated for me. Her talent is undeniable. She is easily one of the best dancers in the history of the show. She will never revoke Kristi's crown as the GOAT though #sorrynotsorry. The thing that stood out the most to me on my rewatch of all her dances is how cringeworthy I found her storyline with Maks. First they tried going the showmance angle which I don't think worked at all. While I did enjoy their friendship and Meryl certainly helped Maks create some of the best dances of his career on the show, I never really felt this romantic chemistry between the two of them. I also felt like the second half of the season kinda turned into The Maks Show. It was all about whether or not Maks will finally get his first mirrorball trophy. I feel like it should've been more about Meryl than Maks, but I suppose I'm never surprised when Maks makes things about himself.

Onto Meryl's dances though, I'm not gonna lie I was slightly disappointed throughout the first half of the season. For someone who's kinda hyped as the GOAT, I think she had a very strong first half of the season, but nothing out of this world spectacular. Her Argentine Tango with Val is by far her standout routine for me and I wish we got to see a full partnership of her with Val. I also really enjoyed her Swing dance and thought that was a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing her break out of her shell. Even her Tango, which got her her first perfect score, I thought was good but nothing amazing. Until the semifinals though, I can't say I was consistently "wowed" by Meryl.

And of course there was the ultra manufactured off week. Really, it was just Abby Lee Miller being a bitter old hag, Meryl was just as good as she was during the earlier weeks. I personally wasn't crazy about the Rumba either though, not because I thought her dancing was bad, I just didn't like Maks' choreography (the "abusive relationship" storyline in dance is overtold and I don't think it really fit with the dance). I did enjoy her Samba with Danica, despite some sync issues! But once we got to the semis, there was no denying Meryl was completely in a league of her own and was running away with the mirror ball. She got perfect scores for the rest of the season, and deservingly because she was finally wowing me week after week. As great as she was in the finale, her performances in the semis was my favorite week from Meryl. The Elvis Jive followed by the gorgeous Viennese Waltz was just two flawless dances that blew me away.

While I will be the first to admit I wasn't thrilled about the Meryl win, she was absolutely the deserving choice out of the final four and I was certainly rooting for her that night over the remaining options. Meryl worked hard for that win and she earned it and I completely understand the large fanbase. I just didn't connect with her journey and I had trouble being wowed by her dances till the end of the season. I'm sure she'll still place very high so this 16 ranking means nothing. If I was to rank her honestly, it would still just be in the 10-12 range probably though.

@Alex95 @*Amanda @FrogLenzen @*Diana @Elliott @*Lily @totes4totes @*Wallace

ALEX:

3. Apolo Anton Ohno

5. Danica McKellar

6. Tamar Braxton

8. Simone Biles

9. Melissa Rycroft

10. Kelly Monaco

11. Tinashe

12. Stacy Keibler

13. Mel B

14. James Hinchcliffe

15. Nicole Scherzinger

16. Meryl Davis

AMANDA:

1. Meryl Davis

3. Apolo Anton Ohno

4. Stacy Keibler

5. Mel B

9. Melissa Rycroft

10. Simone Biles

11. Nicole Scherzinger

12. Kelly Monaco

13. Tinashe

14. James Hinchcliffe

15. Danica McKellar

16. Tamar Braxton

DEREK:

1. Nicole Scherzinger

3. Meryl Davis

4. Melissa Rycroft

6. Apolo Anton Ohno

7. James Hinchcliffe

9. Mel B

11. Kelly Monaco

12. Stacy Keibler

13. Simone Biles

14. Tinashe

15. Tamar Braxton

16. Danica McKellar

DIANA:

1. Stacy Keibler

2. Meryl Davis

3. Melissa Rycroft

5. Simone Biles

8. Tinashe

9. Apolo Anton Ohno

10. James Hinchcliffe

11. Kelly Monaco

12. Nicole Scherzinger

13. Danica McKellar

14. Mel B

15. Tamar Braxton

ELLIOTT:

1. Kelly Monaco

2. James Hinchcliffe

4. Meryl Davis

5. Mel B

6. Simone Biles

7. Melissa Rycroft

8. Stacy Keibler

9. Apolo Anton Ohno

10. Nicole Scherzinger

11. Danica McKellar

12. Tinashe

13. Tamar Braxton

LILY:

5. Tamar Braxton

6. Nicole Scherzinger

7. Tinashe

8. Stacy Keibler

9. Mel B

10. Simone Biles

11. Melissa Rycroft

12. Kelly Monaco

13. James Hinchcliffe

14. Meryl Davis

15. Danica McKellar

16. Apolo Anton Ohno

MEGAN:

2. Simone Biles

3. Meryl Davis

5. Mel B

7. Kelly Monaco

8. Danica McKellar

10. Tinashe

11. Tamar Braxton

12. James Hinchcliffe

13. Nicole Scherzinger

14. Apolo Anton Ohno

15. Stacy Keibler

16. Melissa Rycroft

WALLACE:

2. Nicole Scherzinger

3. Mel B

4. Stacy Keibler

7. Apolo Anton Ohno

8. Tinashe

9. Tamar Braxton

10. Melissa Rycroft

11. Simone Biles

12. James Hinchcliffe

13. Danica McKellar

14. Meryl Davis

15. Kelly Monaco

PUBLIC:

1. Apolo Anton Ohno

2. Kelly Monaco

3. Nicole Scherzinger

4. Stacy Keibler

5. Mel B

7. James Hinchcliffe

8. Melissa Rycroft

11. Meryl Davis

13. Danica McKellar

14. Tinashe

15. Tamar Braxton

16. Simone Biles

• Solaris changed the title to Dancing with the Stars Rankdown 4.0 (#5, Page 192)