American Idol General Discussion

istersay

21 hours ago, jstxanothrxstory said:

It's possible they're waiting until Idol starts back up to use that as promotion, but I don't faith considering how much they dropped the ball with Maddie's album.

They're not going to drop the ball with Laine Hardy like they did with Maddie Poppe because Laine Hardy is a much better singer than Maddie Poppe and is very original unlike Maddie Poppe and he has more potential than Maddie Poppe does.

1 hour ago, movieguy40 said:

They're not going to drop the ball with Laine Hardy like they did with Maddie Poppe because Laine Hardy is a much better singer than Maddie Poppe and is very original unlike Maddie Poppe and he has more potential than Maddie Poppe does.

As a Maddie Poppe fan, I have to protest against your denigration of her!

• Like 1

I don't really see why it's necessary to criticize Maddie when all I did was mention her lack of promo, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

• Like 1

So why haven't they released any new music.  What has he been doing all this time?  It's been 8 mos since the finale.    He's also had very little promo.   Nashville is filled with Country singers from reality TV shows.

Edited by mytake1

35 minutes ago, jstxanothrxstory said:

I don't really see why it's necessary to criticize Maddie when all I did was mention her lack of promo, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Because your logic is they are going to drop the ball with Laine Hardy just because they did it with Maddie Poppe. But Maddie Poppe is not special. She is one in a million. But Laine Hardy is special and unique and he is not one in a million. American Idol don't drop the ball on unique and talented singers like Laine Hardy and that is just a fact. I would like to see Maddie Poppe try and sing The Beatles and Chuck Berry like Laine Hardy did because I am telling you right now that she is not capable of that.

36 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

So why haven't they released any new music.  What has he been doing all this time?  It's been 8 mos since the finale.    He's also had very little promo.   Nashville is filled with Country singers from reality TV shows.

Probably because they will when Laine Hardy drops an album, which will be very soon.

40 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Maddie Poppe is a singer with a soft voice. She is one in a million. Just about anyone can sing softly like her. But not anyone can sing like Laine Hardy. He's the whole package. He sings soft, has rifts, growl in his voice and is the ultimate definition of a young country star and rock star in the making.

5 minutes ago, movieguy40 said:

But Maddie Poppe is not special. She is one in a million. But Laine Hardy is special and unique and he is not one in a million.

I would like to see Maddie Poppe try and sing The Beatles and Chuck Berry like Laine Hardy did because I am telling you right now that she is not capable of that.

You’ve clearly never been to Nashville during CMA Fest. Southern rock and country guys are prevelant and quite frankly, Laine doesn’t stand out from most of them.

On the flip side, I’d like to see Laine cover Walk Like An Egyptian, Brand New Key or Landside. Also: covering The Beatles isn’t that big of a deal. Literally everyone does it.

All you’re doing is creating unnecessary flame wars. I love Laine, but let’s not act like he’s the only southern rock/country singer that exists... even Idol has had their own handful of them. I said it wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped the ball prompting him considering their track record so far hasn’t been good, and the next season is about to begin with zero news about Laine’s music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, movieguy40 said:

Maddie Poppe is a singer with a soft voice. She is one in a million. Just about anyone can sing softly like her. But not anyone can sing like Laine Hardy. He's the whole package. He sings soft, has rifts, growl in his voice and is the ultimate definition of a young country star and rock star in the making.

I don’t think you understand what the phrase “one in a million” means. It means the exact opposite of how you are using it. It means something so rare and special that it only happens once every million times. I think the phrase you mean is “a dime a dozen”.

I’m not really interested in arguing over the relative merits of Maddie vs. Laine, but HR has definitely put more $ behind Maddie so far.

Edited by AngelaKD

Probably because they will when Laine Hardy drops an album, which will be very soon.

Which post Idol songs of Laine's do you like?  Who has he been writing with in Nashville?  Which live shows of his have you seen?  What promotion has he gotten besides the early appearances after he won?

Edited by mytake1

6 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

I don’t think you understand what the phrase “one in a million” means. It means the exact opposite of how you are using it. It means something so rare and special that it only happens once every million times. I think the phrase you mean is “a dime a dozen”.

I’m not really interested in arguing over the relative merits of Maddie vs. Laine, but HR has definitely put more $ behind Maddie so far.

I meant to say Maddie Poppe is a dime in a dozen then and that is a fact. The point still stands that there are many singers exactly like her and that is why she will never be that big of a recording artist like Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Tori Kelly, Adam Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, etc. Laine Hardy has more of a chance for that to happen within the next five years because of how original he is and how can sing just about anything. Laine Hardy is going to be a huge star in 5 years or less. Just watch.

5 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Which post Idol songs of Laine's do you like?  Who has he been writing with in Nashville?  Which live shows of his have you seen?  What promotion has he gotten besides the early appearances after he won?

You don't have to work in Nashville to become a music superstar. Adam Lambert, Tori Kelly, and Chris Daughtry never wrote music in Nashville and they are really big music rock stars now. Laine Hardy has a good shot of that happening because he has the whole package. He has the it factor that Maddie Poppe doesn't.

7 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

It's not that unfair. Maddie Poppe is not that vocally talented. She got lucky to win American Idol. Good for her, but there are so many singers that are better than her and definitely better than her during her season that should have won instead of her and no Laine Hardy isn't one of them. He wasn't that good during her season. Caleb Lee Hutchinson for instance definitely was better than Maddie Poppe and should have won her season instead.

Edited by movieguy40

It's not that unfair. Maddie Poppe is not that vocally talented. She got lucky to win American Idol. Good for her, but there are so many singers that are better than her and definitely better than her during her season that should have won instead of her and no Laine Hardy isn't one of them. He wasn't that good during her season. Caleb Lee Hutchinson for instance definitely was better than Maddie Poppe and should have won her season instead.

So what's your point?

None of this applies to the discussion on the upcoming season of American Idol.

Laine is not getting the promo that the winner of a recent season of Idol would normally get. He has not released ANY singles. Has not mentioned when he plans on releasing a single let alone an album. Fact of the matter is... You can't handle those simple TRUTHS.

If he is releasing music to coincide with season 18 then good for him. He is getting the Maddie treatment, but at least she had original singles out by the time her debut album dropped. Laine doesn't even have that.

Stop trying to start fan wars just because you dislike an AI alum... 🙄

11 minutes ago, Riza-Smithson said:

So what's your point?

Laine is not getting the promo that the winner of a recent season of Idol would normally get. He has not released ANY singles. Has not mentioned when he plans on releasing a single let alone an album. Fact of the matter is... You can't handle those simple TRUTHS.

If he is releasing music to coincide with season 18 then good for him. He is getting the Maddie treatment, but at least she had original singles out by the time her debut album dropped. Laine doesn't even have that.

the posts were moved, this is the general discussion :tasiawink:

there are gonna be differing opinions on talent, as long as it's kept civil that's okay. Remember there is an ignore feature, easy to use, just in case

• Like 1

You don't have to work in Nashville to become a music superstar. Adam Lambert, Tori Kelly, and Chris Daughtry never wrote music in Nashville and they are really big music rock stars now. Laine Hardy has a good shot of that happening because he has the whole package. He has the it factor that Maddie Poppe doesn't.

Huh??  Laine Hardy is a country singer - and he has been writing in Nashville.  What does that have to do with Adam Lambert, Tori Kelly, Chris Daughtry?

You also did not answer any of the following:  Which post Idol songs of Laine's do you like?  Who has he been writing with in Nashville?  Which live shows of his have you seen?  What promotion has he gotten besides the early appearances after he won?

Edited by mytake1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:50 PM, KelseyW said:

So what's your point?

I totally agree with what you said, KelseyW.  I like Laine and thought that he was a better singer than Alejandro, but the fact remains that he apparently hasn’t been promoted the way that even Maddie was promoted, and he doesn’t even have singles released.  At least Maddie had singles out by the time her debut album came out.

Oh, and while I agree that Maddie didn’t have the biggest voice in her season, I’ve watched this show long enough to know that the best voices don’t always win.  What Maddie lacked in vocal power, she made up for in her song selections and her performance skills, both of which were better than those of Caleb Lee Hutchinson.

Movieguy, you may prefer Laine and that’s okay.  We all have our favorites.  I just don’t like it when you denigrate the talent of a former winner, especially if the winner was my favorite from that season, just to make your favorite look good.  That causes flame wars, and that’s bad.  I’m not going to denigrate Laine even though I prefer Maddie, so follow my example.

Edited by CarmenSandiego
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone is excited about Laine Hardy at any record label.  I don't see anyone spending any money on promotion or radio play.  If Laine makes it he'll have to uncouple from Idol and do it organically.  All Idol did for him was give him enough name recognition to *maybe* get an opening gig.  If he has any hits he'll have to write them himself - no top writers are going to give him any good songs.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2020 at 1:54 AM, Cranberrys said:

I don't think anyone is excited about Laine Hardy at any record label.  I don't see anyone spending any money on promotion or radio play.  If Laine makes it he'll have to uncouple from Idol and do it organically.  All Idol did for him was give him enough name recognition to *maybe* get an opening gig.  If he has any hits he'll have to write them himself - no top writers are going to give him any good songs.

That goes for any Idol winners these days. Your hate for Laine is so amusing 🤣 He still beat your fave Alejandro, and btw Alejandro's album bombed.

39 minutes ago, frederick said:

That goes for any Idol winners these days. Your hate for Laine is so amusing 🤣 He still beat your fave Alejandro, and btw Alejandro's album bombed.

Alejandro is the only Idol from the reboot that is making any real money.    He had  SOLD-OUT summer and fall tours and was booked to tour overseas.  His Lollapalooza performance was mentioned by the Grammys.  Stevie Nicks is a big fan.

• Like 1