Artists you thought were gonna be successful with the public but weren´t

Misirlou

Contestants  that, based on the taped rounds, you thought that were pretty much locks to get a PV in the playoffs, or were eliminated earlier in the live shows than you expected them to be.

Drew Cole (s14)- Was pretty much a match made in heaven for Team Adam, appeared on the premiere of both blinds and knockouts, and gave great performances in the taped rounds. But he kinda clunked in the lives and didn´t connect with the audience enough. I would have expected him to go far tbh.

Jej Vinson (S16)- Probably the biggest shock to most people here was that Jej didn´t get the PV on the playoffs, even when he was widely considered to be a finalist already, and the pimping he got in the taped rounds. His playoffs song didn´t help him though.

Aaron Gibson (S11)- While he did get the PV in the playoffs, the rest of the lives were pretty much a long battle for him to get out of the bottom. And given his raspy tone that the audience usually likes and his rocker vibe, you´d expect him to not have trouble with getting votes.

Jon Mero (S13)- Got 95% on the blinds app, was consistent if cheesy, and he´s the kind of seasoned artist that knew what he was doing. And his T12 performance was good, especially since the song required him to stay on falsetto almost the whole time, it wasn´t his choice really. But people didn´t buy him and he was the first eliminated artists in the lives.

Gracee Shriver (S17)- Young country girl with a powerful twangy voice on Team Blake. Her playoff wasn´t that good honestly, but I thought the audience would let it slide. They didn´t tho, and chose a non-country young girl instead, which was surprising, at least to me.

Max Boyle (S17)- He got the PV and I thought he was headed to at least semifinals. But it only took one mediocre performance for the audience to completely abandon him.

Terrence Cunningham (S14)- Was pretty much considered to be the absolute frontrunner in the blinds - battles point, and people were still behind him on numbers. But he didn´t have as much support as I thought on the playoffs.

Dave Fenley (S15)- I always prefered Chris K over him, but I was surprised that the audience did too. Based on the taped rounds, I thought he was a finalist if not the winner. But he didn´t clicked with the audience as much I thought.

Abby Cates (S15)- Based on the taped rounds, especially her KO, I thought she was a lock. But then "Next to Me" happened...

Megan Danielle, Jake Hald, Kyndal Inskeep (all three at fault of messing up their first live performance)

Domenic Haynes (Adam's fault entirely)

Presley Tennant (maybe overdid it at times and just got lost in the shuffle of a messy season i'd say)

Michael Lee (I dont know what went wrong here, he didnt give an electrifying performance in the POs as he did in the KOs but still did the best that night of Team Blake)

SandyRedd (we know the audience but still surprised she didn't reach the semifinals even if she was stolen and saves in the prelives)

Mia Boostrom (it seemed she was a good mix to satisfy many of the audiences the show has, but the second night of POs yikes)

I agree with most you mentioned

Edited by antikid

Social media can be deceiving, but we can usually get a pretty good idea who’s resonating with the audience, and who isn’t. Some of those listed above never did.

However, a few of those did:

Terrence: He generated a lot of buzz, but also an unusual amount of hate, probably because of his hair, tbh 

Abby: Her relatively large Instagram following was mostly inactive. I chose her as “most likely to be exposed live,” and I was proven correct. 

Dave Fenley: He was looking formidable, but he had a string of awful live performances. 

Jej: Many of us suspected those Facebook likes and YouTube views were coming from overseas. Well?

Jon: He’s talented enough to go further than he did. I guess the audience just didn’t like him. I don’t know. 

SandyRedd: Lots of social media buzz, very few votes. If she would have stayed with one coach the entire time, she might have done better. 

Edited by TeamAudra

• Sandyredd - shocked that she got eliminated that early... she should have placed much higher (5th or 4th)

• Janice Freeman - Cant believe ShiAnn, Ashland , Adam and Davon placed higher than her... 

• Julian King - his BA was amazing I think he could have made the Top 13 (for sure the POs) with the normal format 

• Jej Vinson - I Don’t like him but he was so popular on social media 

• Michael Lee 

• RADHA 

Dave Fenley is the first that comes to my mind. I didn’t think it was even remotely possible that he wasn’t going to be in the finale.

Bria Kelly is another one I can think of. I thought she was a major frontrunner. Granted S6 was a long time ago and I don’t remember if she truly was or not.

SandyRedd seemed like she was going to have a strong run, as African American females are typically hated on by the Facebook grandmas. SandyRedd seemed to be an exception and then they just got sick of her and were like “all she does is cry and wail about her dead mother which really affects her singing Jesus we get it!” Therefore she was eliminated early after having a rough journey, having to be stolen/saved in both battles and KOs and needing the CS.

Lot were saying Jej was a frontrunner or smth from the start, but I honestly get it why ppl did not voted him through, his voting round performances were basically a FLOP lmao. He received reactions from the social media acc bc of his fans in the PH, but since they cannot vote, well 🤭 (Queen Maelyn dominated this season)

Sandyredd had a really bad song choice (for me) during her first live show performance.

RADHA I believe was not a favorite at all? She had an appeal apparently bc she have a filipino blood or smth and she received a block, but she is not much hyped like the others on Season 15.

Janice had a competition in Team Miley that time, namely Brooke, that might've caused her something, but she was still robbed AF.

Jon Mero's like Jej, but without the PH thing, he basically had a hyped BA, but failed after that.

The one thing that came to my mind was Kymberli Joye, I mean Sarah Grace and Chevel was voted rather than her.

I don't follow the SM numbers very closely...

But being that she was the only real country singer left on TB, and that she was coming off a strong KO (imo)...I would have bet the farm that Gracee Shriver would get a PV in playoffs of S17.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have farm.

• Haha 2

*  Jej Vinson( I was shocked that he didn't get the PV , even though his performances weren't as great as his blind audition and battle bit he was truly better than many of the ones who arcanced over him ) .

*  Dave Fenley ( I was hoping for Chris to get the PV but I thought Dave will get that and I was so shocked when he didn't get it ).

*  Kyndal Inskeep ( After her KO I thought she will be in the Finale but I don't know how she got eliminated , and I was even more shocked when gwen picked Myracle over her ) .

• Like 1

Addressing a few of the names:

• Aaron's biggest hold-back was his coach; Miley was a great match being very musically like-minded, but she was (and still is, though less so now that she's in her later 20s vs. her early 20s) divisive as a public figure and the contingent of Minivan that might not default to country looked elsewhere. He also had an obscure song choice at the Top 12 which didn't help his case.
  • Jon is a male R&B singer who was on a season immediately following one won by a male R&B singer. I didn't expect him to win, but I did expect him to at least make it to the top 10. 
  • Jej got a lot of overseas support (which doesn't translate to votes) and struggled in the lives; I expected him to be Kelly's save if he wasn't voted through, but I didn't expect him to be "instantly eliminated" in the cut from 13 to 8.

Biggest surprises for me:

• Bria Kelly (S6) - Maybe a case of not living up to her blind audition, and I suspect that Usher wasn't as good of a match for her as a different coach may have been.
  • Elyjuh Rene (S7) - Considering he got chosen over a four-chair in his battle round and made it through his KO, I expected him to survive the playoffs at least via coach save, and then Pharrell's Sugar Joans infatuation happened.
  • Mia Z (S8) - Getting the public vote in the playoffs made me think she'd outlast a few others (ie, Brian Johnson and Hannah Kirby) but song choice killed her.
  • Mark Hood (S9) - He had his own lane musically after the playoffs, got four chairs in the blinds (and was the first artist we met), and seemed like he'd be entertaining to watch, but got two song choices in a row that tanked him.
  • Owen Danoff (S10) - The folk-rock lane generally does okay on the show, so the fact he got in the bottom two multiple weeks in a row surprised me; I never expected him to win but I did expect him to at least outlast the two coach comebacks that made it past the playoffs.
  • Riley Elmore (S11) - Given Adam's infatuation I was expecting him to be the coach save before getting cut in the top 12, but thankfully Adam made a less dumb choice in the playoffs.
  • Troy Ramey (S12) - I thought he'd last longer given he was the lone four-chair turn that survived the playoffs and was one of the few to crack the top 200 on the overall iTunes chart multiple times, but Mark Isaiah being the teeny-bopper bait and his Instant Save competition cut his run short.
  • WILKES (S14) - I liked all his pre-taped stuff, but he was on a team with three clearer vote-grabbers so even though I wanted him to make the top 12 I wasn't surprised when he didn't. 
  • Michael Lee (S15) - Chris was in a similar lane with most of his home state backing him, while Michael was one of three Texan artists to get to the playoffs; additionally, one of the others from his home state was in a similar musical vein. I'd have preferred him over Dave as Blake's pick though.
  • Jake HaldenVang (S17) - if TPTB hadn't forced him into the pop lane rather than letting him stick to rock stuff closer to his blind/KO, he may have had a decent shot at the Wild Card if not the public vote. Heck, if they were going to give him an Adele song, "Rolling in the Deep" or "Send My Love" both make more sense to try and flip into a rock song, or if they wanted to do pop-rock there's a zillion options there too.

Can I say Sarah Simmons? She failed to get the PV in the Playoffs despite being painted as a frontrunner, and if you really look at it, her elimination really wasn't as shocking as it was said to be.

Look at all those in the Top 12 who were eliminated before her: Garrett Gardner, VEDO, Josiah Hawley, and Kris Thomas.

Of these four, all of them suffered from either one, or a few weeks of bad song choices, which was enough for her to scrape by and survive, but once there was no more inconsistent performers, it was clear as day her time was up unless she had a moment like her Blind Audition, but she didn't, and at that point the writing was on the wall for her elimination.

In the real world..Jacquie Lee

She has everything you could have wanted in a popstar. Atlantic signed her and they didn't have to. She was given a Sia written song. Then the ball was just dropped. 

Her originals are fantastic now, and she's on an indie label that seems to be good for her. But I thought she'd break out. 

In Voice World..I think Domenic Haynes surprised me more than anyone. Bria Kelly as well.

Edited by mercfan3

16 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

In the real world..Jacquie Lee

She has everything you could have wanted in a popstar. Atlantic signed her and they didn't have to. She was given a Sia written song. Then the ball was just dropped. 

Her originals are fantastic now, and she's on an indie label that seems to be good for her. But I thought she'd break out. 

In Voice World..I think Domenic Haynes surprised me more than anyone. Bria Kelly as well.

Agreed with Domenic. I thought he was a finale lock when I saw his blind.

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

Agreed with Domenic. I thought he was a finale lock when I saw his blind.

In terms of his blind yes, but he didn´t seem to really connect that much with the public to begin with. He even lost his battle against Trey, a middle pack player, in the app, so I kinda saw his loss in the CB coming, especially when paired against a classic R&B crooner like Matthew J singing the Jackson 5. 

The problem with Domenic is that, while I love the uniqueness of his tone, it was undeniably polarizing as well. Not to mention, his obscure song choices and having Adam as his coach didn´t help him at all.

Edited by Misirlou

12 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

In terms of his blind yes, but he didn´t seem to really connect that much with the public to begin with. He even lost his battle against Trey, a middle pack player, in the app, so I kinda saw his loss in the CB coming, especially when paired against a classic R&B crooner like Matthew J singing the Jackson 5. 

The problem with Domenic is that, while I love the uniqueness of his tone, it was undeniably polarizing as well. Not to mention, his obscure song choices and having Adam as his coach didn´t help him at all.

Adam's blocking John is one of the few times I've been legitimately pissed off by the block feature (and it takes a LOT to get me pissed off normally).

• Like 1