If Just Sam won AI, why isn't there any AA woman winning TV yet?

eidi

2 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Meh...I would argue Arthur and Francisco (probably the most pimped imo and he didn't even place in the top two) were more pimped than Sam and even if they weren't they were pimped at the same level so I don't think you can really say she was pimped disproportionately to other contestants in the competition. I am still very surprised she won honestly. I do think her story made it easier to root for her while Francisco story was that...he overcame his nerves. Hardly compelling. The Voice really doesn't go into detail about the contestant's backgrounds and if they do, it is very minimally. 

the coaches barely know either 💀

• Haha 1

Tbh, I think it’s those people who vote for coaches, back their support behind one contestant. The Blakers were attached to Todd from the beginning, so Toneisha didn’t have much chance of winning. If both Thunderstorm and Todd Tilghman were out of the picture, and Toneisha was Blake’s finalist, she likely could’ve easily won.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

Tbh, it took an off-season and a new channel just to let idol have a girl win in a non-female stacked season in the past 12 years. 😘 

Kelly Clarkson
Ruben Studdard
Fantasia Barrino
Carrie Underwood

Taylor Hicks
Jordin Sparks
David Cook
Kris Allen
Lee DeWyze
Scotty McCreery
Phillip Phillips

Candice Glover
Caleb Johnson
Nick Fradiani
Trent Harmon

Maddie Poppe (ABC)
Laine Hardy (ABC)
Just Sam (ABC)

actually it was a female stacked season but sam persisted...also, idk where you're getting your "12 years" from lol

19 minutes ago, holinessss said:

Kelly Clarkson
Ruben Studdard
Fantasia Barrino
Carrie Underwood

Taylor Hicks
Jordin Sparks
David Cook
Kris Allen
Lee DeWyze
Scotty McCreery
Phillip Phillips

Candice Glover
Caleb Johnson
Nick Fradiani
Trent Harmon

Maddie Poppe (ABC)
Laine Hardy (ABC)
Just Sam (ABC)

actually it was a female stacked season but sam persisted...also, idk where you're getting your "12 years" from lol

My bad. I made my post more confusing than it needed to be. It took a channel change and an off season to just have the first female win in a non-female stacked season in 9 seasons since season 7 of Idol.

Edited by xfactor22
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

My bad. I made my post more confusing than it needed to be. It took a channel change and an off season to just have the first female win in a non-female stacked season in 9 seasons since season 7 of Idol.

you're implying Candice/Maddie's seasons were "female stacked" when both had a 5M/5F split and Sam's season had a 9M/11F split...so which is it

17 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Do you guys think Toneisha got runner-up?

I think third - though the speculation of not acknowledging Nick/Tstorm's accomplishment of placing 2nd bc maybe he didn't makes sense, I think they probably just ran out of time when Blake had that mic problem

2 hours ago, holinessss said:

you're implying Candice/Maddie's seasons were "female stacked" when both had a 5M/5F split and Sam's season had a 9M/11F split...so which is it

No I’m not. The number of males and females in each season are completely irrelevant to what I’m saying!

1. By female stacked I mean a big discrepancy between the male talent and the female talent. S12’s was heavily stacked towards the women (Though I enjoyed some of the men too.) S13’s was relatively 50-50 

2. I’m implying Maddie’s season was NOT female stacked.  I’m saying the show needed an off season and a change of channel for them to have the first female winner (Maddie, deservedly definitely) in a season that’s not heavily stacked in favor of a female  win since s7.   Season 16 didn’t seem to have a huge discrepancy between male and female talent.  

That’s all I’m saying. 

Edited by xfactor22

On 5/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, holinessss said:

I think third - though the speculation of not acknowledging Nick/Tstorm's accomplishment of placing 2nd bc maybe he didn't makes sense, I think they probably just ran out of time when Blake had that mic problem

perhaps it did make sense after all lol - they're gonna pump even more divas/aa females into blake's team for sure

On 5/20/2020 at 1:19 AM, xfactor22 said:

No I’m not. The number of males and females in each season are completely irrelevant to what I’m saying!

1. By female stacked I mean a big discrepancy between the male talent and the female talent. S12’s was heavily stacked towards the women (Though I enjoyed some of the men too.) S13’s was relatively 50-50 

2. I’m implying Maddie’s season was NOT female stacked.  I’m saying the show needed an off season and a change of channel for them to have the first female winner (Maddie, deservedly definitely) in a season that’s not heavily stacked in favor of a female  win since s7.   Season 16 didn’t seem to have a huge discrepancy between male and female talent.  

That’s all I’m saying. 

the discussion is about AA female winners and the fact that you're erasing a modern AA Idol winner says everything

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:08 AM, Maxwell said:

Do you guys think Toneisha got runner-up?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, Catsy said:

How many times has an African American woman come in 2nd?

I'm gonna leave this here - while it's still not a win, coming in second (in a season where TPTB had a clear TCO in T-storm) is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, holinessss said:

perhaps it did make sense after all lol - they're gonna pump even more divas/aa females into blake's team for sure

the discussion is about AA female winners and the fact that you're erasing a modern AA Idol winner says everything

You’re  just not reading my post correctly...I’m not ignoring anyone. Let me break this down. It shows me you’re ignoring my “season stacked  toward a a female win” quote condition for you to think I am somehow ignoring Candice. 

It required a channel change for any female  to win WITHOUT a season produced/manipulated/whatever it is you wanna call season 12, for a female to win fairly. Candice deserves her win no doubt, BUT had she been in a season before the off season and where there wasn’t a big discrepancy between the talent of the males and females, she would’ve had a harder time winning.

For example La’Porshae should’ve single-handedly won the season Trent was on, as she’s honestly one of the top 10 vocalists at least since season 13 of Idol,  but due to demographics and because Trent is a pretty good singer, sadly La’Porshae fell short. Or  Jena might have been a winner if it weren’t for Caleb and the demographics during her season. 
That’s all. 

The only point I’m trying to get across is Idol isn’t as forward-moving/progressive/etc. as many people are making it out to be/as the voice is/as the voice could be without team quotas.  I mean at least the voice was able to have female singers win without a seven season long male domination, and at least those girls were able to win in seasons where there were no huge discrepancies between male and female talent, and at least an AA male was able to win in recent seasons of the voice (Chris Blue #King) and if it weren’t for finale team quotas I’m sure Toneisha could’ve easily won the Voice. 

Edited by xfactor22

by the way i think that when people say that tessanne doesn’t count, it’s not necessarily in disregard to her race, it’s just the fact that the average voter doesn’t know she is AA, so her being AA doesn’t affect this. essentially the argument is not really why an AA woman hasn’t won but rather why an obviously AA woman hasn’t won. also just a note idk anything about tessannes race and im just going off of u guys and ur previous posts

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, AngelaKD said:

Liberia is an African country founded by former black slaves who returned to the continent (but not the specific country) of their ancestors’ births. Latino/a is an ethnicity. Some are white, some are black, some are Native American, some are a mix.

i don’t care how light-skinned Tessanne is, she considers herself to be a black woman.

She must be latina mixed with African

On 5/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, eidi said:

It's called a token. There are 3 black finalists this season probably because of team quotas, since if we didn't have that, Cammwess wouldn't reach it.

Now talking about winners we have only 3 black ones and only men, against 14 white ones. I'm not telling the whole audience is racist but a good part of them is, specially from team Minivan which is usually conservative.

You do know African Americans make up 15 percent of the American population? 3 out of 18 would actually be the expected ratio

Now American Idol last season--that was suspect where all the minorities and the openly gay dude were all eliminated first, in order

3 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Because AA women rarely go with the coach that will give them the best chance of winning. (Blake) 

If Kennedy had gone with Blake or Kelly, she wins IMO. 

Chevel was winning that season, at best Kennedy receives 2nd if not 3rd behind Chris Kroeze.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ashwinner said:

by the way i think that when people say that tessanne doesn’t count, it’s not necessarily in disregard to her race, it’s just the fact that the average voter doesn’t know she is AA, so her being AA doesn’t affect this. essentially the argument is not really why an AA woman hasn’t won but rather why an obviously AA woman hasn’t won. also just a note idk anything about tessannes race and im just going off of u guys and ur previous posts

People in this thread know that...I suspect they are being purposely obtuse for whatever reason

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xfactor22 said:

You’re  just not reading my post correctly...I’m not ignoring anyone. Let me break this down. It shows me you’re ignoring my “season stacked  toward a a female win” quote condition for you to think I am somehow ignoring Candice. 

It required a channel change for any female  to win WITHOUT a season produced/manipulated/whatever it is you wanna call season 12, for a female to win fairly. Candice deserves her win no doubt, BUT had she been in a season before the off season and where there wasn’t a big discrepancy between the talent of the males and females, she would’ve had a harder time winning.

i read fine

17 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

Chevel was winning that season, at best Kennedy receives 2nd if not 3rd behind Chris Kroeze.

Chevel grew a lot, but Kennedy was amazing. (And way underrated on this board)

Beyond that, she's an adorable talented little girl. If Chevel goes with JHud, and Kennedy goes with Blake - Kennedy wins.