Jump to content

If Just Sam won AI, why isn't there any AA woman winning TV yet?


eidi
 Share

Recommended Posts

In theory, AI and TV have the same American viewers, so why we had an AA woman just winning AI while Toneisha in TV probably ranking in the 3rd at most?

 

Because of Blake's or even Kelly's stans? Because of Team Minivan? Because unlike AI, TV has team and coaches? Why?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, holinessss said:

also, i think it's mainly the "teams" format

 

That's what I thought. But even with Team Blake support that she would barely have in AI, an AA woman can't win in the Voice. Sisaundra Lewis, Aliyah Moulden, Kyla Jade, Spensha Baker and Toneisha Harris come to my mind.

Edited by eidi
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, eidi said:

 

That's what I thought. But even with Team Blake support that she would barely have in AI, an AA woman can't win in the Voice. Sisaundra Lewis, Aliyah Moulden, Kyla Jade, Spensha Baker and Toneisha Harris come to my mind.

yea, for the voice you need to balance more variables and it has to be perfect - do they want the new coach to win, popularity of coach at that give time, stolen/saved, team quotas, age, genre, etc.

 

Kyla was probably the closest contender, if only she wasn't up against Kelly's first season and even Alicia's prowess as a Coach + Britton's teen boy points

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO the vote split between the basic af guys and her backstory gave her the win, it had nothing to do with race.

 

This is why Sam wouldn’t win The Voice, because her memorable personality and backstory wouldn’t have any screentime, so she would be seen by most people as your typical R&B singer, and a big part of the audience wouldn’t be able to connect with her.

 

The Voice lost their chance to give an AA woman the win with Kennedy by making her choose the least popular coach. I would argue Kennedy would have won with Blake or Kelly (in addition to more pimping)

 

 

Edited by Daillon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Daillon said:

This is why Sam wouldn’t win The Voice, because her memorable personality and backstory wouldn’t have any screentime, so she would be seen by most people as your typical R&B singer, and a big part of the audience wouldn’t be able to connect with her.

 

"TyPiCaL r&B sInGeR"

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Daillon said:

IMO the vote split between the basic af guys and her backstory gave her the win, it had nothing to do with race.

 

This is why Sam wouldn’t win The Voice, because her memorable personality and backstory wouldn’t have any screentime, so she would be seen by most people as your typical R&B singer, and a big part of the audience wouldn’t be able to connect with her.

 

The Voice lost their chance to give an AA woman the win with Kennedy by making her choose the least popular coach. I would argue Kennedy would have won with Blake or Kelly (in addition to more pimping)

 

 

 

Toneisha also has a sad backstory and there are only guys to split the vote so...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, echoap said:

Does she count as an AA though?

 

I'm just asking because IDF used to have pretty high standards when it comes to racial purity 🤭

Uhm...she is very clearly black. Not sure how you can look at her and come up with something different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Uhm...she is very clearly black. Not sure how you can look at her and come up with something different.

Yeah, pardon me, but I'm a bit confused since Tessanne is also black but she doesn't count as an AA winner. Also, Just Sam's real name is Samantha Diaz and her IG bio says Liberian/Latina so I guess I'm a little bit lost. 😵

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, echoap said:

Does she count as an AA though?

 

I'm just asking because IDF used to have pretty high standards when it comes to racial purity 🤭

 

1 minute ago, echoap said:

Yeah, pardon me, but I'm a bit confused since Tessanne is also black but she doesn't count as an AA winner. Also, Just Sam's real name is Samantha Diaz and her IG bio says Liberian/Latina so I guess I'm a little bit lost. 😵

 go back to reddit, damn 🥱

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, echoap said:

Yeah, pardon me, but I'm a bit confused since Tessanne is also black but she doesn't count as an AA winner. Also, Just Sam's real name is Samantha Diaz and her IG bio says Liberian/Latina so I guess I'm a little bit lost. 😵

 

Tessanne is clearly mixed race. Even her parents aren't black and she looks like more asian than jamaican

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

 

Sam is way better than Toneisha 🙊

 

Both of them happen to not have big range. In Rise up for example although sung beautifully Sam didn't reach the high part. So Toneisha usually does

Edited by eidi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, echoap said:

Yeah, pardon me, but I'm a bit confused since Tessanne is also black but she doesn't count as an AA winner. Also, Just Sam's real name is Samantha Diaz and her IG bio says Liberian/Latina so I guess I'm a little bit lost. 😵


Liberia is an African country founded by former black slaves who returned to the continent (but not the specific country) of their ancestors’ births. Latino/a is an ethnicity. Some are white, some are black, some are Native American, some are a mix.

 

i don’t care how light-skinned Tessanne is, she considers herself to be a black woman.

Edited by AngelaKD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, eidi said:

 

Tessanne is clearly mixed race. Even her parents aren't black and she looks like more asian than jamaican

I get it now, as long as the contestant "looks" AA, it's all good. :haha:

 

2 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:


Liberia is an African country founded by black slaves who returned to the continent (but not the specific country) of their ancestors’ births. Latino/a is an ethnicity. Some are white, some are black, some are Native American, some are a mix.

Thanks for the info 😌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...