If Just Sam won AI, why isn't there any AA woman winning TV yet?

eidi

In theory, AI and TV have the same American viewers, so why we had an AA woman just winning AI while Toneisha in TV probably ranking in the 3rd at most?

Because of Blake's or even Kelly's stans? Because of Team Minivan? Because unlike AI, TV has team and coaches? Why?

1 hour ago, holinessss said:

also, i think it's mainly the "teams" format

That's what I thought. But even with Team Blake support that she would barely have in AI, an AA woman can't win in the Voice. Sisaundra Lewis, Aliyah Moulden, Kyla Jade, Spensha Baker and Toneisha Harris come to my mind.

Edited by eidi
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, eidi said:

That's what I thought. But even with Team Blake support that she would barely have in AI, an AA woman can't win in the Voice. Sisaundra Lewis, Aliyah Moulden, Kyla Jade, Spensha Baker and Toneisha Harris come to my mind.

yea, for the voice you need to balance more variables and it has to be perfect - do they want the new coach to win, popularity of coach at that give time, stolen/saved, team quotas, age, genre, etc.

Kyla was probably the closest contender, if only she wasn't up against Kelly's first season and even Alicia's prowess as a Coach + Britton's teen boy points

IMO the vote split between the basic af guys and her backstory gave her the win, it had nothing to do with race.

This is why Sam wouldn’t win The Voice, because her memorable personality and backstory wouldn’t have any screentime, so she would be seen by most people as your typical R&B singer, and a big part of the audience wouldn’t be able to connect with her.

The Voice lost their chance to give an AA woman the win with Kennedy by making her choose the least popular coach. I would argue Kennedy would have won with Blake or Kelly (in addition to more pimping)

Edited by Daillon

40 minutes ago, Daillon said:

This is why Sam wouldn’t win The Voice, because her memorable personality and backstory wouldn’t have any screentime, so she would be seen by most people as your typical R&B singer, and a big part of the audience wouldn’t be able to connect with her.

"TyPiCaL r&B sInGeR"

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Daillon said:

IMO the vote split between the basic af guys and her backstory gave her the win, it had nothing to do with race.

The Voice lost their chance to give an AA woman the win with Kennedy by making her choose the least popular coach. I would argue Kennedy would have won with Blake or Kelly (in addition to more pimping)

Toneisha also has a sad backstory and there are only guys to split the vote so...

2 minutes ago, echoap said:

Does she count as an AA though?

I'm just asking because IDF used to have pretty high standards when it comes to racial purity 🤭

Uhm...she is very clearly black. Not sure how you can look at her and come up with something different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Uhm...she is very clearly black. Not sure how you can look at her and come up with something different.

Yeah, pardon me, but I'm a bit confused since Tessanne is also black but she doesn't count as an AA winner. Also, Just Sam's real name is Samantha Diaz and her IG bio says Liberian/Latina so I guess I'm a little bit lost. 😵

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, echoap said:

Does she count as an AA though?

I'm just asking because IDF used to have pretty high standards when it comes to racial purity 🤭

1 minute ago, echoap said:

Yeah, pardon me, but I'm a bit confused since Tessanne is also black but she doesn't count as an AA winner. Also, Just Sam's real name is Samantha Diaz and her IG bio says Liberian/Latina so I guess I'm a little bit lost. 😵

go back to reddit, damn 🥱

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, echoap said:

Tessanne is clearly mixed race. Even her parents aren't black and she looks like more asian than jamaican

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Sam is way better than Toneisha 🙊

Both of them happen to not have big range. In Rise up for example although sung beautifully Sam didn't reach the high part. So Toneisha usually does

Edited by eidi

19 minutes ago, echoap said:

Liberia is an African country founded by former black slaves who returned to the continent (but not the specific country) of their ancestors’ births. Latino/a is an ethnicity. Some are white, some are black, some are Native American, some are a mix.

i don’t care how light-skinned Tessanne is, she considers herself to be a black woman.

Edited by AngelaKD

7 minutes ago, eidi said:

Tessanne is clearly mixed race. Even her parents aren't black and she looks like more asian than jamaican

I get it now, as long as the contestant "looks" AA, it's all good. :haha:

2 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Liberia is an African country founded by black slaves who returned to the continent (but not the specific country) of their ancestors’ births. Latino/a is an ethnicity. Some are white, some are black, some are Native American, some are a mix.

Thanks for the info 😌