Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN

MV5BODE2NjE4NjYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk3MjQ0OTE@._V1_.jpg

The Edge of Seventeen is a coming-of-age dramedy starring Hailee Steinfeld, Woody Harrelson, and Kyra Sedgwick. The story follows Nadine, a teenager whose high school problems aren’t as serious as she’s making them out to be. Her popular older brother starts going out with her best friend, and it’s an awkward situation. She also feels lonely as a result, but then she meets a boy. I didn’t read the rest of the plot summary, but I’m guessing he becomes her love interest? This seems like a typical high school film, but the critics loved it. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 94% approval rating and said “The Edge of Seventeen's sharp script – and Hailee Steinfeld's outstanding lead performance – make this more than just another coming-of-age dramedy.” Maybe this is a film worth watching? I don’t think the plot is anything groundbreaking, but maybe the performances are what makes the film good? High school films can be very hit-or-miss, but the reviews seem promising. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes The Edge of Seventeen from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Captain America: The First Avenger.

tumblr_mqzhxu9VC71s7dhr7o2_500.gif

Just now, Alex95 said:

Me and my friend watched Edge of Seventeen as a joke because we love making fun of sh*tty teen high school movies and were blown away it was so great.

I pretty much went into the film thinking it would be terrible as well. 

Side Effects (2013 dir. by Steven Soderbergh)

9bG.gif

Side Effects is both a very good movie and a very disappointing movie at the same time. An incredible director, solid cast, interesting premise, score by Thomas Newman. Yet the film is not quite as exciting as I had hoped it would be. The film stars Rooney Mara, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Channing Tatum, and Jude Law in the principal roles, but also stars Vinessa Shaw, Ann Dowd, Polly Draper, Mamie Gummer, David Costabile, Marin Ireland, and Elizabeth Rodriguez. 

Without giving too much away about the plot, the film revolves around Mara's character and how she handles the experimental drugs prescribed to her by psychiatrists (Law + Zeta-Jones) after the release of her husband (Tatum) from prison. I do not want to give much more away about this psychological thriller because the film really is good. Side Effects is very clearly inspired by Hitchcock and De Palma thrillers, with an interesting perspective on big Pharma and mental health treatment/management in the United States. The script is super clever and the way the plot unravels is pretty insidious. Everything about this film just works very well.

Particularly the performance from Rooney Mara, who is just so so so incredible in this film. But I think the film gets a bit whacky as it progresses, which is where the disappointment stems from. Ultimately though, a gripping film with solid performances from all four leads that earned the film solid reviews and a good box office performance. Sad to see the film go, but this is a fair placement imo.

SAVING: Train to Busan

Damsels in Distress (2012 dir. by Whit Stillman)

tumblr_moju91ndW51qzahxuo1_500.gif

Damsels in Distress is a movie that I love a lot! But I think this is a fair cut overall, especially compared to the remaining nominees which rank amongst my favorite still contending in this game. The film is written and directed by Whit Stillman. More importantly, the film stars Greta Gerwig, Analeigh Tipton, Megalyn Echikunwoke, and Carrie MacLemore in the main roles. I love these four a lot. LOL. The film also stars Adam Brody, Aubrey Plaza, Hugo Becker, Billy Magnussen, Caitlin FitzGerald, Alia Shawkat, Jermaine Crawford, and Zach Woods. A very talented cast!

The film is admittedly weird in its plot. The director/writer himself describes the film as being about "four girls in a dorm who are trying to keep things civil in an uncivil world." Lily (Tipton) is a newly transferred college student that becomes friends with the already existing clique of Violet, Heather, and Rose, who together run the campus' suicide prevention center. The film basically follows them as they date less attractive men to boost the men's confidence, clean up the unhygienic Doar Dorm, fight with the editors of the campus newspaper who want to close down elitist fraternities, and start a new dance craze called The Sambola!

I know it sounds strange, but trust me when I say it is a great movie. LOL. Just a great comedy that has a lot of charm. The film is admittedly inspired by a distant time period, but the innocence of this comedy works so well due to how great the cast performs. The characters are outlandish, kooky, and wild. The writing is strange and full of banter. The film will not be for everyone, but those that love it will love it a lot! Greta Gerwig is so damn fantastic in this movie. 

Anyways. Sad to see it go, but at least glad I get to send it off! Give it a watch if you have a chance!

SAVING: It Follows

THE DESCENDANTS (2011)

tumblr_inline_mt1anwXVBA1qz4rgp.gif

Like Dee, I actually really loved this movie when I watched it and was very moved by both the acting performances and the story itself. A movie that explores grief and family in a very thoughtful way imo. I also am generally bothered by George Clooney in general for whatever reason, so I remember being very surprised by his character and how much I loved his acting in this movie. I'm cutting it because it's been nominated so many times and I want to #controlfreak cut this and give it a somewhat decent writeup! This movie is about a rich attorney father of two in Hawaii who ends up having to deal with a lot of really tough and sh*tty life situations...all the meanwhile his wife is comatose after an accident. His two daughters are a handful, to say the least, and he now has to face the probably inevitable death of his wife and going through it with his children. Again it displays all of this in a very empathetic light imo and the script is really memorable - also Shailene Woodley nails her role and this is the best I've ever seen her. Would definitely recommend to anyone! It grossed an awesome $177.2 million against its 20 million budget and won a bunch of awards, including the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay and a nom for Clooney. Love this movie but I think now is a fair time to cut it (though I would love for it to go much farther) ❤️ 

Saving: Prometheus

Edited by #jeah
  • Like 1

@#jeah great write-up. Shailene Woodley really is phenomenal in the film and is the true highlight for me. I am also very bothered by George Clooney in general, but happen to love him in this role. Maybe the best he has ever been for me in any film. Sad to see it go, but it has definitely been nominated enough at this point.

• Like 1