NICO: 18

VICTORIA: 18

ALEX: 19

DEREK: 19

KALEY: 23

DEE: 24

DENISE

wfJ0Y2C.gif

I absolutely love Moana! :wub: I said this before (and I'll probably always say it whenever I do a write-up on the movie or character, if that ever happens again), but Moana does not consider herself a princess and in my mind that is because she is a QUEEN!

JYiF9Nk.gif

At least she is my queen. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif

XBjQ52U.gif

But in reality, she is included among the official line of Disney Princesses and is the 12th one, in fact. I love both Moana the character and Moana the movie. There is so much to love about her and her story. Moana is such a fierce, independent, resourceful, strong, brave, loyal, determined, selfless, and kind-hearted young woman. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif She lives on an island and has a great love of the sea, of course, as she sings that it calls her.  :wub:

JzzQoO0.gifZIgbmjD.gif

I also love the water, ocean, and all that, so I connect and relate to Moana on feeling called to the water and feeling at home by the sea. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif The ocean chooses her! :wub: And she chooses the ocean back! Ever since she was a baby they had that connection. :wub:

sWYPYiT.gifzVQXQYL.gif

She wants to venture off, explore, and find out what's out there, and is not afraid to do so.

fswegEy.gif

A funny moment :giggle:

Personality-wise, she is everything I aspire to be. It's like she's my role model. :lmao: But really, she's such a fantastic character for anyone to look up to! It's obvious I love Moana, as she was one of my immunity picks from the start, and then her little pig, Pua, was another pick of mine later. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif I adore him so much too.

Do2U6U9.gifwqPOLCH.gif

I love Moana's relationships with pretty much all the characters in the movie, but of course some other stand-outs are Hei Hei, Maui, and Gramma Tala, who always encouraged Moana's love of the sea. crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif

h9Eryx2.gif

This is really such a special, emotional, and beautiful moment. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif

Moana is not without her struggles since she feels conflicted on being drawn to the sea versus staying with her family, who she so lovingly cares for. I can also relate to both sides of those in some ways for my own life, as I'm sure many people can.  In the end, Moana learns a valuable lesson that nobody can define you or your life's purpose but yourself. :wub: Moana is able to unite her love of her family and her love of the sea, and be who she is truly meant to be.

29IQFM6.gif

jmEBEHc.gif

7kM7rwk.gif

Moana is such a strong important character to me, who I love so so much! heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif She has an interesting story that teaches us all a lesson about who we are and what we can become. She shows what it means to be a strong, independent person who goes after what they believe in with a fearless heart. She also shows the importance of family and what it means to have that special connection and stay true to it. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif

sUZeFsj.gifMorQbiJ.gif

Moana the movie is full of a lot of amazing stories, lessons, and music (including "How Far I'll Go", which is Moana's big moment as she takes to the sea, as well as "I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)", which is so so powerful), and Moana the character is my favorite human Disney character. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif

MEGAN

source.gif

Moana the movie and Moana the character are what Disney wished Pocahontas was. Is Moana this high in my rankings because her voice actress Auli'i Cravalho is bisexual? Absolutely. But also I just really like Moana. Though as much as I like Moana I am going to give her the bit of the short stick because I still have 4 more write-ups after this!

Moana is pretty much the modern Disney princess archetype set by Belle except without the love. She's like Rapunzel but without the boyfriend. Instead she gets a god in Maui. She's discontent with her destiny and though her island is great, she wants to see more.

Moana.gif

Moana is everything you want in a leader and protagonist. She's driven, smart, capable, witty, etc. She still needs the help from Maui to teach her to like. Drive a boat. But other than that, she's pretty good at what she sets out to do. I like my protagonists to be capable. Because there are so many annoying incompetent idiots out there in movies and in real life.

CHRIS

PdhnEYW.gif tumblr_om9ys55NIw1rsc3z0o5_400.gif Ejy4Twr.gif

Known as the main character of Disney's 56th animated feature, Moana has quickly emerged herself as one of the most beloved Disney princess - it's truly hard to not love Moana as a character. Moana is incredibly adventurous - she's never afraid to go on an adventure despite her family's objection. In the movie, as we all know, she was on a mission to restore the heart of Te Fiti where she encounters Maui along the way. She quickly become closer to Maui who ends up teaching the art of sailing & how to navigate through this brand new adventure of hers - she ends up becoming the heroine of the movie when she is able to return the heart of Te Fiti.

Despite my love for the movie, I would not consider Moana one of my all-time favourite character but she's getting a good ranking because I absolutely love Auli'i Cravalho's performance as Moana and especially her version of "How Far I'll Go" which is one my favourite recent Disney - everything I hear it, it bring me back to Disney World during the "Happily Ever After" fireworks show where everyone start singing along to the song.

NICO

Super interesting as a character, but I’m eh on the movie so that leaves her here

VICTORIA

200.gif

Moana is another great Princess but one I don't have a big attachment to. Moana is the titular protagonist of Moana. She was introduced in 2016. She is the daughter of Chief Tui and Sina. She saves her people by restoring the heart of Te Fiti with the help of Maui.

ALEX

I like both Moana the movie and the character. I just like everyone else more. Child wants to do something, but parents tell her she can't. Child does it anyway. Chaos ensues. Maybe child shouldn't have disobeyed parents, but also maybe parents shouldn't have been so strict on child. What did I just do? Describe the plot of about 50 different Disney movies. I appreciate Moana for the representation. Maybe it's not the most unique story in the world, but I guess if it ain't broke why fix it. I can't say I'm super passionate about Moana, but I'm fine with her making the endgame and I'll be happy if she gets a high placement (though I will be rooting against her winning).

DEREK

220px-Moana_Teaser_Poster.jpg

From the movie Moana (2016)

581eee15c931e6f46cab634c3da09b6e

Voiced by Auliʻi Cravalho (b. 2000)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auliʻi_Cravalho

Auli'i was apparently the last person to audition for Moana out of hundreds

Annie Award winner for performance as Moana

Played Ariel in ABC's The Little Mermaid Live! (2019)

Moana is one of the 12 Official Disney Princesses, one of 5 that made our Top 25. She's a super fun character with a great voice actress and great songs. Also, she gets to hang out with Hei Hei, the best little dumb chicken in the history of the world. Moana is a very determined young lady, and her journey to save the islands and discovery her peoples' history is very fun. She definitely does more than some other Disney princesses in her movie. Like, by default everyone does more than Aurora. But I think Moana's story is more compelling than Snow White, Jasmine, Rapunzel, Cinderella, Tiana... 

Moana has been a great new addition to the Disney universe and I'm pleased but not surprised to see her make it to the end. I think final cuts were the only point where she was really in danger. Moana is a great movie because it felt very Disney, but didn't follow all the same tired princess tropes that we tend to see. Just some of them lol.

KALEY

200.gif

Unfortunately, since I've only seen this movie once compared to so many of the others I've seen many, many times... comparatively I have very little attachment to it. I don't think there's a bad movie/character in the bunch, just ones I personally connect to more than others.

DEE

fc2c55cef1bc78de9e11fabf6b41e3b3.gif

Moana is a character on paper that I should love. But Moana is another film that I never found myself attached to. I think it is an objectively great film, however, and the strength of the titular character is probably the most notable aspect of the movie.

Moana is a beautiful and proud Polynesian with so many amazing qualities: headstrong, strong-willed, fearless, nature-loving, prideful, opinionated, intelligent, physically strong, heroic, brave. There are also layers to her character that crack at the perfect surface of her character - she is extremely stubborn, reckless, and sometimes selfish.

All this to say that Moana is your typical teenager. I think this is why Moana as a character never made me fall in love with her.  She acts as a very typical protagonist. As I always claim, I care a lot about characters that are not just one-sided. While Moana is far from one-sided, she is also the most basic of Disney protagonists.

This all sounds negative, but there are so many scenes involving her that are truly breathtaking and display Disney Magic at its most brilliant. The scene where she saves the baby turtle and the ocean chooses her as the savior? Iconic. The scene where she visits the ancestral cave with Tala? Amazing. Tala's spirit guiding Moana out to the sea? The best. How Far I'll Go is one of the best Disney Princess songs ever.

Her journey of overcoming self-doubt and accepting her destiny is a beautiful one, but a story that has been told before. Moana is an awesome character and such a beautiful representation of Polynesian culture and the strength of those women. I appreciate her spirit so much, but just appreciate the other finalists ranked above her much more. Not disappointed to see her in the finals though.

• Sad 1

Final Rankings:

Alex

7. Quasimodo

8. Mike Wazowski

17. Russell 

19. Moana

20. Jack Skellington

25. The Beast

Chris

8. The Beast

12. Moana

14. Quasimodo

15. Mike Wazowski

16. Russell 

19. Jack Skellington

Dee

1. Jack Skellington

6. Russell 

9. Quasimodo

13. Mike Wazowski

24. Moana

25. The Beast

Denise

1. Moana

15. Quasimodo

18. Jack Skellington

19. The Beast

20. Russell 

23. Mike Wazowski

Derek

4. Russell 

12. The Beast

15.  Mike Wazowski

19. Moana

21. Quasimodo

25. Jack Skellington

Kaley

15. Jack Skellington

17. The Beast

20. Quasimodo

22. Russell 

23. Moana

24. Mike Wazowski

Megan

8. Moana

11. Russell 

12. The Beast

15. Jack Skellington

19. Mike Wazowski

24. Quasimodo

Nico

11. Quasimodo

15. Mike Wazowski

18. Moana

19. Russell 

22. Jack Skellington

24. The Beast

Victoria

2. The Beast

11. Mike Wazowski

14. Russell 

18. Moana

22. Jack Skellington

23. Quasimodo

Public

9. Moana

13. The Beast

16. Quasimodo

18. Mike Wazowski

19. Jack Skellington

23. Russell 

8 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

the fact that dee has moana ranked lower than alice is a shocking twist. considering how much he criticizes all female disney protagonists for being bland, he carries on one of the blandest of them all!!!!!!

LOL Alice is ranked very low for me as well. Moana is just not a film that I fell in love with at all, despite being very good.

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

Denise

1. Moana

15. Quasimodo

18. Jack Skellington

19. The Beast

20. Russell 

23. Mike Wazowski

Yikes. I figured one of my higher ranking ones would show up sooner than later, but not from nobody in the top 14 straight to #1. 😐  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Great write up, Denise! I think it says a lot about the strength of the character that she made Top 20 with pretty much zero nostalgia power behind her.

Thank you so much. ❤️ :hug: 

1 hour ago, 1234567890 said:

I really did love your write-up, @miss denise. ❤️

Thank you. 😢 :wub: