Disney Characters Rankdown

Steven_

Just now, Alex95 said:

I mean if we're using Shrek 4 to bring down Shrek 1 and 2, can't we use Emma Watson Beauty and the Beast or whatever the hell their fourth movie "Belle's Tales of Friendship" is to bring down Beauty and the Beast?

THE TEA. Or how about anything that isn't the original to bring down that whole series?

3 minutes ago, *Chris said:

So does the majority of the population! 

Based on what facts? Shrek received similar critical acclaim, won Academy Awards, and grossed more at the box office? So like, this is not necessarily true. It also spawned just as big of a franchise. Oops.

Just now, Alex95 said:

I mean if we're using Shrek 4 to bring down Shrek 1 and 2, can't we use Emma Watson Beauty and the Beast or whatever the hell their fourth movie "Belle's Tales of Friendship" is to bring down Beauty and the Beast?

NO BECAUSE I HAVE HYPOCRITICAL DOUBLE STANDARDS.

But actually. like I said. I don't like Shrek 2 and don't think it's a very good movie and a lot of the humor in Shrek doesn't really appeal to me. I think Shrek is a good movie but I think a lot of the references cause the movie to age poorly. And also just as an artifact of the time, CGI doesn't age as well as traditionally hand-animated films (even early Pixar movies have this issue like the humans in Toy Story are kind of really bad, but their stories are very good which is why they hold up, even through like The Incredibles, Pixar made very stylish choices to depict humans in order to avoid that CGI for human characters wasn't great. Compare like Elastigirl to Fiona). 

5 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Based on what facts? Shrek received similar critical acclaim, won Academy Awards, and grossed more at the box office? So like, this is not necessarily true. It also spawned just as big of a franchise. Oops.

The remake made 1.2 billion at the box office. And adjusting for inflation Beauty and the Beast made more than Shrek.

3 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

The remake made 1.2 billion at the box office. And adjusting for inflation Beauty and the Beast made more than Shrek.

You're comparing Disney's, like, 50th animated movie to Dreamworks' second animated movie after Antz. Shrek becoming a cultural icon despite coming from nothing is insanely impressive.

Edited by Alex95

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

You're comparing Disney's, like, 50th animated movie to Dreamworks' second animated movie after Antz. Shrek becoming a cultural icon despite coming from nothing is insanely impressive.

BOOM.

5 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Sis, nobody is checking for that bogus live-action remake. :dead:

10 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

But actually. like I said. I don't like Shrek 2 and don't think it's a very good movie and a lot of the humor in Shrek doesn't really appeal to me. I think Shrek is a good movie but I think a lot of the references cause the movie to age poorly. And also just as an artifact of the time, CGI doesn't age as well as traditionally hand-animated films (even early Pixar movies have this issue like the humans in Toy Story are kind of really bad, but their stories are very good which is why they hold up, even through like The Incredibles, Pixar made very stylish choices to depict humans in order to avoid that CGI for human characters wasn't great. Compare like Elastigirl to Fiona). 

I'll also add (and this is an issue for Mushu in Mulan as well) that Eddie Murphy's voice work doesn't age as well because it's all "This is Eddie Murphy! As an animated character! In a movie!" (but I blame Aladdin for starting all of that!!!!!)

Shrek and Beauty and the Beast are both movies that came at the right time to take advantage of things that people had been wanting and technologies of the time. Though The Little Mermaid was the movie to kick off the Disney Renaissance, Beauty and the Beast was the movie that brought back the prestige and quality to the Disney brand that hadn't really been seen culturally since the 60s when Walt Disney passed. 

I think saying Dreamworks came from nothing is a bit of an overexaggeration considering that Steven Spielberg was the founder and had a lot of success in the animated space with most notably Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Freakazoid. And of course Jeffrey Katzenberg came from Disney.  It wasn't some rinky dink studio that came from no where. But I think they found they really couldn't compete with Disney in terms of financial success in the 2D space (Prince of Egypt and Road to El Dorado are both incredibly fantastic movies) but found that with ANTZ going directly against A Bug's Life that there was space in 3D animated movies due to how actually well ANTZ fared against the more well known competition. Also, animated movies were probably going to be trending towards 3D anyway, so they kind of got the jump on that and were able to make it their brand. And Chicken Run is still the highest grossing stop-animated film! And Shrek kind of solidified the move to largely CGI (Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron not being great probably factored in as well). That's all kind of speculation. 

Edited by totes4totes