Production Officially Halted on Season 18

Elliott

https://tvline.com/2020/03/17/american-idol-postponed-delayed-coronavirus-suspends-production/

Filming has been halted to ensure that contestants can get home to their families, according to a source; the rest of the production is working remotely, and has been since last week. For now, episodes will continue to air as scheduled through the beginning of the live shows, which were slated to kick off in mid-April, but producers will continue to evaluate things on a week-to-week basis. (Idol currently airs Sundays and Mondays at 8/7c on ABC.)

5 hours ago, wgm said:

This is wrong on so many levels. Since there is a travel ban right now, i doubt highly that they california would let idol send them home. 

There’s no current ban on domestic travel. However, if one were put in place, the producers wouldn’t want to have everyone stuck in LA with no show to look forward to.

There was no way around this. Too many people from too many states. No way to have a live audience. AGT and SYTYCD have postponed production as well. The Voice will have to as well if the virus isn’t under control by the time they film live shows. 

4 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

There was no way around this. Too many people from too many states. No way to have a live audience. AGT and SYTYCD have postponed production as well. The Voice will have to as well if the virus isn’t under control by the time they film live shows. 

Yeah.

9 minutes ago, frederick said:

I have a feeling this season will be pushed back into the fall or scrapped. I'm worried. I love Idol and I love these contestants.

Being pushed back into the fall would be the better option.  I don’t want this season scrapped, since I have several favorites already.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Being pushed back into the fall would be the better option.  I don’t want this season scrapped, since I have several favorites already.

If it returns at all, it likely won't be until next year.  ABC has 2 big challenges with the Fall - finding time on it's schedule and Katy's pregnancy.

5 hours ago, mytake1 said:

If it returns at all, it likely won't be until next year.  ABC has 2 big challenges with the Fall - finding time on it's schedule and Katy's pregnancy.

That's what I'm worried about it. If it doesn't return in the fall or sooner, I think the show will just be cancelled for good and not come back.

6 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I have several favorites too, and this could be one of the best seasons tbh.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:15 PM, CarmenSandiego said:

On 3/19/2020 at 7:34 PM, mytake1 said:

Yeah this makes the most sense. :( Being push back to the summer could be workable but highly unlikely as the virus will still be in effect. I don't really know for Fall - unless they can find a certain night/schedule for it.

21 hours ago, pepperman said:

they could just give it DWTS's slot in the Fall, and just skip a year of DWTS. then go back to business as normal in 2021.  

Oooh I really hope that isn't the case. Idol already took DWTS spring slot.... so Idol taking DWTS spring and fall slot would be too much for me/other DWTS fans. :ph34rwave:

I would love for the rest of this season to continue in some kind of way but I think it would likely be scrapped and could start all over again next time. :( 

9 hours ago, wgm said:

Idol goes foward, they are pre taping the semi finals and they go live.

No they aren't.

9 hours ago, wgm said:

Got the pre taping from mjs

No you didn't.

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/when-does-american-idol-2020-start-full-season-18-schedule.htm

Her most recent update was last night which is still saying production has been suspended indefinitely.

10 hours ago, wgm said:

Idol goes foward, they are pre taping the semi finals and they go live.

#1: They sent the semi-finalists home.

#2. They suspended production and laid off the crew.

#3. Even if #1 and 2 weren’t true, pre-taping would still violate the California lock-down.