American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

On 4/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, hayden98 said:

As much as I like Julia, I kind of thought her performance this past week was horrendous.:ph34rwave:

It was my least favourite performance of last week’s show.

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

It was my least favourite performance of last week’s show.

Yeah but … any performance of Julia, will be your least favorite, since she's your least favorite.  Just saying.  

As of right now …  her YouTube video has 4.7 THOUSAND likes, and 131 Dislikes. So  … if we add you 3, to the mix, that gives Julia 4.7 thousand likes and 134 Dislikes. She actually has one of the best Likes to Dislikes ratios.   :yes: 

5 minutes ago, psterina said:

Yeah but … any performance of Julia, will be your least favorite, since she's your least favorite.  Just saying.  

As of right now …  her YouTube video has 4.7 THOUSAND likes, and 131 Dislikes. So  … if we add you 3, to the mix, that gives Julia 4.7 thousand likes and 134 Dislikes. She actually has one of the best Likes to Dislikes ratios.   :yes: 

Actually, no... it doesn't, so please stop putting words in my mouth. Plenty of contestants I've disliked in the past have given performances I've liked or thought were good performances, just as some of my favourites have given performances I've ranked on any given night. I mean Jax in S14 is one of my all-time least favourite contestants, and even she gave a performance that I didn't mind.

And I fail to see the point here? 🙄 If anything, that gives us more of a reason to express that we didn't like her performance in an unpopular opinions thread, since it's clearly an unpopular opinion. Could you learn to deal with the fact that not everyone is going to love your snowflake of the season? :yawn: Because if anything, all posts like this do is just make me root for them even less.

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, Elliott said:

Actually, no... it doesn't, so please stop putting words in my mouth. Plenty of contestants I've disliked in the past have given performances I've liked or thought were good performances, just as some of my favourites have given performances I've ranked on any given night. I mean Jax in S14 is one of my all-time least favourite contestants, and even she gave a performance that I didn't mind.

And I fail to see the point here? 🙄 If anything, that gives us more of a reason to express that we didn't like her performance in an unpopular opinions thread, since it's clearly an unpopular opinion. Could you learn to deal with the fact that not everyone is going to love your snowflake of the season? :yawn: Because if anything, all posts like this do is just make me root for them even less.

Bravo. I thought Julia was much improved this week, but any chance she had of actually getting a vote from me went up in smoke the moment the judges opened their mouths. I don't even remember if it was Luke or Lionel that gave her the overpraise, but it's like, no. Stop. She was good, but she was far from outstanding. Wasn't even the best performance of the night, much less the last three seasons, which I assume is the only "Idol history" they care about. 

julia, sophia, jonny and louis are all the same. neither is memorable or exciting. 

sam reminds me of la porsha. great voice. but good luck on trying to make an artist out of her. if la porsha didn't make it why is sam different!? no musical identity. 

season 16-18 suffer from the trent harmon curse: the winner doesn't have a chance at success. even a minor one. 

1 hour ago, blackfield said:

season 16-18 suffer from the trent harmon curse: the winner doesn't have a chance at success. even a minor one. 

You have to go back to Phillip Phillips in 2012 was when the last time Idol had a successful winner.  That was 8 years ago.

Wasn’t Phillip only successful because he got lucky with one song going worldwide due to the Olympics?

I don’t know any other songs of his. I just had a look At his Wikipedia page and his last hit was 2014? I’m intrigued.

Just now, Zoey0069 said:

Wasn’t Phillip only successful because he got lucky with one song going worldwide due to the Olympics?

Going Going Gone, Raging Fire and Unpack Your Heart all did well in the states. His most recent album didn't do as well as the first two, but the two tours he went on in support of it were both mostly sold out.

Just now, Elliott said:

Going Going Gone, Raging Fire and Unpack Your Heart all did well in the states. His most recent album didn't do as well as the first two, but the two tours he went on in support of it were both mostly sold out.

That’s decent then. I genuinely had no idea whether he released more music and had zero idea that he had a couple of successful tours.

Fair point. But it definitely does feel like he got lucky, because honestly he was nowhere near the most deserving of the win in that absolutely stacked field, and yet he not only won, but avoided the Taylor Hicks curse and became the most successful contestant from his season. 

This probably isn't too unpopular of a sentiment, but the extent to which it's affecting my enjoyment probably is unpopular: I'm trying to watch Idol a bit every Sunday, but the show has no magic to me w/o it being in the studio with live performances. I can't get into these home videos at all, I can't name any of the contestants, their performances have all blended together to me. And I can't see this format producing any standout performances we will remember for years to come.

Of course, it's nobody's fault. It can't be helped with the current pandemic, and I give them props for finding a way to air the show. I just can't enjoy the format. I'll keep trying to tune in a bit every Sunday in the hopes something will grab me (but mostly just for IDF commentary tbh), but this season seems like a lost cause for me.

2 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

Fair point. But it definitely does feel like he got lucky, because honestly he was nowhere near the most deserving of the win in that absolutely stacked field, and yet he not only won, but avoided the Taylor Hicks curse and became the most successful contestant from his season. 

But he was competing against big voice belters, ballad queens and they don't tend to be as marketable.  And the singer song writers have more opportunities for touring.  Taylor Hicks was too old school.  Luck is part of it.  Kelly and Carrie were lucky to be on the show when it was at it's peak.

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

But he was competing against big voice belters, ballad queens and they don't tend to be as marketable.  And the singer song writers have more opportunities for touring.  Taylor Hicks was too old school.  Luck is part of it.  Kelly and Carrie were lucky to be on the show when it was at it's peak.

Who, Phillip? I feel like this is a mischaracterization. Season 11's cast was musically diverse, same as the others, and yet when you look at the sales numbers, it's an absolute void. 

10 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

Interesting. The bold part leads to perhaps an unpopular opinion of my own...

No contestants ever get "robbed", at least when it comes to voting. Peter Noone way back in Season 6 accurately hit the nail on the head when he said American Idol was a voting competition. Because of this, there are a variety of reasons as to why voters vote for certain contestants which include singing, looks, etc. Besides, how do contestants rob each other? Do they have access to the votes where they can steal votes from other contestants to add to their own total? With that said, every contestant deserved their placements. Have I disagreed with the results at times? Absolutely. However, it doesn't mean the results were necessarily wrong.

Back to PP, the only issue I had with his win was it was predictable from the moment his audition aired. I'm pretty sure he got a boost after Colton's elimination and all but sealed the deal when he wasn't in the bottom group after his dreadful Top 5 showing. Having said that, while he wasn't my choice to win that season, he 100% deserved his win because he earned enough votes in order to do so.

Okay, point taken. For what it's worth, he'd have made a "worthy" winner in the current era, where contestants are outright encouraged to stay in a narrow band and never venture outside their comfort zones. Post-Idol, I'm a big P² fan, because I like his style of music and he sounds good singing it. On the show itself, I frequently found myself not being a big fan, because imo he wasn't a very versatile artist and Season 11 wasn't quite at the point where the themes were super open-ended.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, ScarletDevilCCX said:

Okay, point taken. For what it's worth, he'd have made a "worthy" winner in the current era, where contestants are outright encouraged to stay in a narrow band and never venture outside their comfort zones. Post-Idol, I'm a big P² fan, because I like his style of music and he sounds good singing it. On the show itself, I frequently found myself not being a big fan, because imo he wasn't a very versatile artist and Season 11 wasn't quite at the point where the themes were super open-ended.

But you're talking about old school Idol, where i.e., where a Country singer is expected to perform a disco song.  

The current era where there is more focus on the contestant's musical identity is more reflective of the real music industry. 

I do like Julia Gargano and I thought she was great this past week. Sophia was boring though. Yes, Jonny bores me. I think he is overrated. I do like Jovin Webb and a few of the guys who were already eliminated.