American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

On 5/7/2020 at 2:25 AM, MargoK said:

Louis Knight is a weak singer and rather boring.

I couldn't disagree more. He is the only one in the entire top 10 that I would even remotely consider as mainstream. Which is something American idol hasn't had in a long long time. A mainstream artist. He would fit right in. I think he has an absolutely beautiful voice. There is just something about him and I think he's going to go very far in music.

Edited by dchal1

35 minutes ago, dchal1 said:

I couldn't disagree more. He is the only one in the entire top 10 that I would even remotely consider as mainstream. Which is something American idol hasn't had in a long long time. A mainstream artist. He would fit right in. I think he has an absolutely beautiful voice. There is just something about him and I think he's going to go very far in music.

gabby's single literally just went #1, but i get what you're saying - louis is the boy next door and will be easier to market if he makes it to finale

2 hours ago, holinessss said:

gabby's single literally just went #1, but i get what you're saying - louis is the boy next door and will be easier to market if he makes it to finale

there a a couple of other artists on idol that is marketable

Louis and Francisco are living proof that apparently every semi-attractive male who can sing passably and play three chords on an instrument is destined to be a superstar.

The Makayla situation is laughable to me. She's clearly talented and has tools to succeed in the pop world, yet she's been criticized for her song choices since the beginning. Then the past week after scraping through she sings a country ballad in an obvious attempt to change things up and get more votes. It was simply solid and way less impressive than her previous performances, but at least she "tUgGed aT OuR hEArtsTrings!!1!" The worst part is that the judges, IDF, and the entire internet reward her for this by saying "good job!", even though it's totally disingenuous. It's getting a bit disturbing to see how Idol takes these artists who come in with a pretty solid idea of their identity, and then gaslights them over and over until they're voted out and left wondering who they even are anymore.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bsti said:

Louis and Francisco are living proof that apparently every semi-attractive male who can sing passably and play three chords on an instrument is destined to be a superstar.

The Makayla situation is laughable to me. She's clearly talented and has tools to succeed in the pop world, yet she's been criticized for her song choices since the beginning. Then the past week after scraping through she sings a country ballad in an obvious attempt to change things up and get more votes. It was simply solid and way less impressive than her previous performances, but at least she "tUgGed aT OuR hEArtsTrings!!1!" The worst part is that the judges, IDF, and the entire internet reward her for this by saying "good job!", even though it's totally disingenuous. It's getting a bit disturbing to see how Idol takes these artists who come in with a pretty solid idea of their identity, and then gaslights them over and over until they're voted out and left wondering who they even are anymore.

No one from TV singing shows is destined to be a superstar.  Most of these contestants will be forgotten once the show is over. 

19 hours ago, dchal1 said:

There's a difference between mainstream and generic. As I said, it's not hard to find someone who sounds and looks exactly like Louis in UK.

8 hours ago, MargoK said:

So is Makayla mainstream or generic? She seems like the most current contestant.

Mainstream. It's not easy to see someone with as much "It factor" as her. The look, the confidence, the vocal, the stage presence.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sept390 said:

Mainstream. It's not easy to see someone with as much "It factor" as her. The look, the confidence, the vocal, the stage presence.

Everyone always claims their favorite has the "it factor".  Idol's not her first reality show.  She had was on AGT.

Just now, mytake1 said:

Everyone always claims their favorite has the "it factor".  Idol's not her first reality show.  She had was on AGT.

IDF always says this about whatever token pretty young girl they’ve chosen to get behind.

I’m still waiting on Jessica Sanchez to be the next Beyoncé while Phil flops, still waiting on Madison V. to become the next Kelly Clarkson, etc.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

I am not a fan of Makayla but I do think she has the “it” factor. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Elliott said:

IDF always says this about whatever token pretty young girl they’ve chosen to get behind.

I’m still waiting on Jessica Sanchez to be the next Beyoncé while Phil flops, still waiting on Madison V. to become the next Kelly Clarkson, etc.

I wish Idol still had that kind of influence. Maybe Gabby Barrett will become the next Carrie Underwood. I doubt it but at least it’s possible. 

I don’t see anyone having that kind of influence this season.

5 minutes ago, MargoK said:

I wish Idol still had that kind of influence. Maybe Gabby Barrett will become the next Carrie Underwood. I doubt it but at least it’s possible. 

I don't think Gabby Barrett will even be the next Lauren Alaina, let alone the next Carrie Underwood.

1 hour ago, MargoK said:

I don't see Idol really having any kind of influence ever again, at least when it comes to producing stars. While it is possible for contestants to have careers via Idol, which some of them have, it's really difficult for someone to become a star overnight (which is true for any medium). Stardom takes a lot of hard work, sacrifice and some luck. Kelly and Carrie appear to be the exceptions rather than the norm. Having Kelly become as huge as she has is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it gave Idol some credibility. On the other, it gave hope that just about anyone can be a star, which is certainly not the case.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, holinessss said:

Exactly. Ty

On 5/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, MargoK said:

Louis may be marketable but he is not that great a singer. I think Francisco is a little better.

Louis is more marketable. Francisco is kinda boring. The personality isn't there. Louis attracts more people the age record lables want to attract. 

41 minutes ago, dchal1 said:

Louis is more marketable. Francisco is kinda boring. The personality isn't there. Louis attracts more people the age record lables want to attract. 

They are the same age.  Everyone always thinks their favorite is more marketable.

Edited by mytake1