Jarmon's Rankings of The Battles: 5-1 Posted!

jarmon

Just now, Cookie73 said:

Yeah, the Top 2 were definitely the most surprising and I believe I noted that in my reactions to the placements. 

I wish I could have reacted with Like reaction, but I'm glad you also agree 

20. MARCOS COVOS VS. SHEER ELEMENT 

"I Could Fall In Love"

TEAM KELLY

Firstly, this montage consisted of two artists that I wasn't very attached to, so I wasn't mad about this montage. We got to hear like 15 seconds of this performance and Marcos sounded lovely. Sheer Element's harmony was good as well but yeah I'm glad Marcos advanced. Nothing much to say here since what can I really say about a 15 second snippet :dead:

19. KASON LESTER VS. WALKER WILSON

"Here Without You"

TEAM BLAKE 

This performance had sooo much potential to be a real standout but I was left feeling rather underwhelmed and just not really liking much of this performance. But, can we also talk about how they could literally pass as brothers?! Like they look so similar and what are the odds that they also sound so similar. I have to say I kinda did prefer Kason's more gravelly/raspy sound than Walker's voice in this performance but either way I didn't mind Walker winning this battle. I could see the appeal.

18. LAURA LITTLETON VS. ROSS CLAYTON

"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"

TEAM NIALL

WHYYYYYY THIS SONG?!?! It didn't let either of their voices truly shine. And I enjoyed both of their auditions a lot. I have a bias to Laura because I love her whole vibe and energy and I enjoyed that in this performance, that said, I could see how her vibrato was a bit too much in this performance. I blame this song choice tbh. I liked their solo parts a bit more than I liked when they sang in unison. But yeah, I'm very upset at Niall for this terrible song choice for them, that said, I like the song, let's not get it twisted, just not for their voices. Bummed that Laura is out :( .

17. ALYSSA LAZAR VS. MAGNUS

"Your Song"

TEAM CHANCE

Okay, I have to say I love this song lmao. And I normally love covers of this song but this wasn't Rachel Mac vs. Bradley Sinclair levels. Magnus sounded fantastic here, he had a great opening and then kinda started doing too much and just lost it a bit for me but regained himself towards the end again. His voice is so full and warm, idk how else to explain it but I dig it. Alyssa also sounded good here, she just started off rough for me and then improved. 

16. NEIL SALSICH VS. ALEX WHALEN

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

TEAM BLAKE

OKAYYY DADDY NEIL! :wub: His performance got me feeling some type of way...lemme just say I see the appeal @Teraginn, ANYWAYS BACK ON TRACK. NEIL WAS GIVING US A PERFORMANCE HONEY!!! He had sooo much charisma and he was having the time of his life on that stage and I was just vibing along. The man's stage presence is UNMATCHED! When he sang that "loseeee my mind" and then did his little dance movements afterwards? I was in love. I don't even care that I ranked his performance that was like 25-30 seconds higher than 3 full battles, his vocals deserve it. Heck, it would be in my Top 5 had it been a full performance, no doubt.

• jarmon changed the title to Jarmon's Rankings of The Battles: 20-16 Posted!

Wow, this was a surprise. I knew this was happening early, but I didn’t know it would be this soon, without any hints too. I’ll comment later on my thoughts on the battles when I have more time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Wow, this was a surprise. I knew this was happening early, but I didn’t know it would be this soon, without any hints too. I’ll comment later on my thoughts on the battles when I have more time

Haha, yeah. I had some free time so very spontaneously decided to start posting it. 

I was debating on posting hints or not for the first set but I went it against it in the end :giggle:

But, I did post hints for the next set at least! 💁‍♂️

1 minute ago, jarmon said:

CLUES for next set:

Do they?

Were you?

Do you?

Did you?

Is that so?

Not all of these make sense to me but I tried :haha:

- Kate vs Tiana (Girls Just Want To Have Fun)

- ALI vs D. Smooth (Unaware)

- NariYella vs Chloe (I Want You Around)

- Grace vs Carlos (I Told You So)

- ??? Jerome vs Talia ???

20- 16

20. Sure, I get it. Wasn´t a fan of that little snippet either.

19. I´d have it a bit higher, because even though I felt Kason brought it down, Walker did great, and I liked the harmonies. Song choice was A+. I did expect more overall though.

18. I´m actually not a big fan of that song (as someone who loves both Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty), and my initial reaction was "meh". But after rewatching it I dug what Ross did on that battle, and I massively preferred him here over his audition, he does have a good rock voice, and fits him better than country IMO. I actually preferred Laura´s blind, but her vibrato was too much for me here. So , I´d have it a bit higher.

17. This is actually my pick for the weakest battle of the season shown in full. Both good singers, song did them no favors, and they didn´t mesh well. 

16. Definitely my most rewatched battle clip of all (helps that it was 30 seconds). He killed that. I get the placement though, but damn, this could have been my favorite one of them. Can´t see Alex on this particular song though. 

13 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Not all of these make sense to me but I tried :haha:

- Kate vs Tiana (Girls Just Want To Have Fun)

- ALI vs D. Smooth (Unaware)

- NariYella vs Chloe (I Want You Around)

- Grace vs Carlos (I Told You So)

- ??? Jerome vs Talia ???

Miranda Cosgrove GIF by chescaleigh

13 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

20- 16

20. Sure, I get it. Wasn´t a fan of that little snippet either.

19. I´d have it a bit higher, because even though I felt Kason brought it down, Walker did great, and I liked the harmonies. Song choice was A+. I did expect more overall though.

18. I´m actually not a big fan of that song (as someone who loves both Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty), and my initial reaction was "meh". But after rewatching it I dug what Ross did on that battle, and I massively preferred him here over his audition, he does have a good rock voice, and fits him better than country IMO. I actually preferred Laura´s blind, but her vibrato was too much for me here. So , I´d have it a bit higher.

17. This is actually my pick for the weakest battle of the season shown in full. Both good singers, song did them no favors, and they didn´t mesh well. 

16. Definitely my most rewatched battle clip of all (helps that it was 30 seconds). He killed that. I get the placement though, but damn, this could have been my favorite one of them. Can´t see Alex on this particular song though. 

20. Agreedddd

19. Oooh, you preferred Walker here, interesting! I just think after Samuel slayed this song, no one can compare.

18. Fair thoughts. Especially with Ross, but yeah this song choice just didn't do either of them any favours.

17. Oof :( I get it. I just really liked Magnus on this battle.

16. RIGHTTTT!! NEIL ATE!!! I was LOVING every moment of it! The man's stage presence is UNMATCHED. 

31 minutes ago, jarmon said:

First set of Battles Rankings have been posted!

@QueenCami @nytsch @erik g @Cookie73 @QueenKalie @Gustavo527 @Hsamid @allistr @FloorWax @Daillon @Misirlou @Someone648

At this point you are going to post your ranking of top 50 all-time favorite performances in no time :haha:

• Haha 2

20. I wouldn’t be able to justify ranking this performance anywhere other than last. The snippet wasn’t that special, and I didn’t like Marcos’ parts in either that or the video I’ve seen. Based on the limited footage I’ve seen, I would have picked Sheer Element (I mean, I really liked their audition), but I heard they had issues that we didn’t catch. But yeah, even if the battle was shown in full, it would have still been one of my least favorite battles this season. 
19. Yeah, I understand this placement. For one, Walker and Kason had two of my least favorite auditions this season. Also, I thought Kason sounded very karaoke on this song, similar to his audition. I disliked Walker’s audition more, but I thought he won the battle for me, since I felt more meh about his parts, rather than disliking them.

18. I personally would put a few other battles lower, but this sits comfortably in the lower half for me. I thought Ross won this battle, since the song seemed to fit him better. As you know, I am not a fan of Laura’s audition nearly as much as you are, so I wasn’t as disappointed in her parts as you were. Maybe that’s why I don’t dislike this performance as much as you. 
17. This is one of the battles I would put lower than Ross vs Laura, which is easy for me to say because they were in the same episode. The thing about this battle that really bothered me was the overuse of vibrato from both of them. Magnus was clearly better here and showed more potential, but I still didn’t like this performance. It seems like a performance that would get montaged if there were more battle montages (and I would gladly rather have seen Alyssa’s audition than this). 
16. Neil vs the mic, iconic battle. I understand the reasoning why this is so low, even if the placement doesn’t reflect my enjoyment of the performance, because it didn’t seem fair to put it very high. I have a feeling this would have been higher had Alex been able to perform with Neil, and it made me sad that he couldn’t perform because I liked his audition. Either way, Neil did an excellent job here and I think I liked the snippet of him more than his audition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allistr said:

At this point you are going to post your ranking of top 50 all-time favorite performances in no time :haha:

LMAOOO don't tempt me with a good time!

4 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Count me in as someone who thinks Alyssa and Magnus were the weakest battle of the season.

But I think I'd also have the same bottom 3.

Neil would definitely be top 5 for me if it were a full perfomance as well.

Ahhh, fair enough! I just liked Magnus when he was good.

Yay! :wub:

AND RIGHT?!?! NEIL WAS SOOO GOOD!

4 minutes ago, erik g said:

Agreed here, although i'd just have Laura/Ross over Magnus/Alyssa

Ahhh, seems to be the general consensus here so far!

1 minute ago, Cookie73 said:

20. I wouldn’t be able to justify ranking this performance anywhere other than last. The snippet wasn’t that special, and I didn’t like Marcos’ parts in either that or the video I’ve seen. Based on the limited footage I’ve seen, I would have picked Sheer Element (I mean, I really liked their audition), but I heard they had issues that we didn’t catch. But yeah, even if the battle was shown in full, it would have still been one of my least favorite battles this season. 
19. Yeah, I understand this placement. For one, Walker and Kason had two of my least favorite auditions this season. Also, I thought Kason sounded very karaoke on this song, similar to his audition. I disliked Walker’s audition more, but I thought he won the battle for me, since I felt more meh about his parts, rather than disliking them.

18. I personally would put a few other battles lower, but this sits comfortably in the lower half for me. I thought Ross won this battle, since the song seemed to fit him better. As you know, I am not a fan of Laura’s audition nearly as much as you are, so I wasn’t as disappointed in her parts as you were. Maybe that’s why I don’t dislike this performance as much as you. 
17. This is one of the battles I would put lower than Ross vs Laura, which is easy for me to say because they were in the same episode. The thing about this battle that really bothered me was the overuse of vibrato from both of them. Magnus was clearly better here and showed more potential, but I still didn’t like this performance. It seems like a performance that would get montaged if there were more battle montages (and I would gladly rather have seen Alyssa’s audition than this). 
16. Neil vs the mic, iconic battle. I understand the reasoning why this is so low, even if the placement doesn’t reflect my enjoyment of the performance, because it didn’t seem fair to put it very high. I have a feeling this would have been higher had Alex been able to perform with Neil, and it made me sad that he couldn’t perform because I liked his audition. Either way, Neil did an excellent job here and I think I liked the snippet of him more than his audition.

20. Couldn't agree more. Although, I'm not the biggest fan of Sheer Element but I also didn't care for Marcos that much after his blind, so it'd be a toss up for me. But, slightly leaning towards Marcos.

19. OOOF! Ahhh, I can see where you're coming from with the karaoke. I get it.

18. Ahhh, yeah, it could be that I was more disappointed because of me liking Laura so much in the auditions. But yeah, this song did favour Ross a bit more.

17. OOOH, this seems to be the consensus here. THEY BOTH DID OVERUSE THEIR VIBRATO, I AGREEEE OMG. I was glad though that it wasn't montaged since Alyssa was montaged in the Binds. But, I could see it have been montaged if that wasn't the case.

16. LOL! Yeah, no doubt had this been a full performance or Alex being in it, it would be much higher but I just can't in good conscience put it any higher haha. 

20. I agree. It was hard to base it off of what little of them singing we got 

19. I didn't love it as a performance, but Walker's tone stood out to me. I don't disagree with the placements, though 

18. Yeah. I didn't love either of them in this performance, I don't think the song choice did them any favors. 

17. I would maybe have them at 18 instead of Ross and Laura (not 100% sure, it depends on my mood), but I can see why you have them here. Magnus sounded really good during some parts.

16. He sounded so good, but I understand why he has to be so low. He clearly demolished his opponent (mic).

Edited by Angeles

6 minutes ago, Angeles said:

20. I agree. It was hard to base it off of what little of them singing we got 

19. I didn't love it as a performance, but Walker's tone stood out to me. I don't disagree with the placements, though 

18. Yeah. I didn't love either of them in this performance, I don't think the song choice did them any favors. 

17. I would maybe have them at 18 instead of Ross and Laura (not 100% sure, it depends on my mood), but I can see why you have them here. Magnus sounded really good during some parts.

16. He sounded so good, but I understand why he has to be so low. He clearly demolished his opponent (mic).

20. Yeah, they didn’t give us much to work with here. 

19. Ahh, I see. Yeah, I did prefer Walker’s tone more in the blinds but in this battle I slightly preferred Kason more. Not mad though that Walker advanced, I dig him.

18. THANK YOU! My exact thoughts!

17. Yeah, when Magnus was good, it was heavenly. But yeah, I was also debating whether to switch them with Ross & Laura but Magnus’ good parts just edged Ross’.

16. LMFAOOOO DEAD @ the mic opponent jokes 💀  Neil ATE & left no crumbs, honestly part of me is like I should’ve just put him in my Top 5 regardless. But, I wanted to also be fair to those that had their full performances shown. But damn, Neil has that charisma that just makes you love his performance even more! 

I realized that your thoughts on Laura are basically my thoughts on Sheer Element, and vice versa (including approximate rankings of their blinds)

Same with Walker and Kason, since I preferred Kason in Blinds but Walker in the battle

Tbf, I thought the winners of 19-17 were not that bad or even pretty good, but the losers not as much and the whole thing just didn’t really work that well. Neil sounded great in his montage although I’d have to hear more to know if it was my actual favorite of the episode (competing with NOIVAS/Ray).

9 hours ago, Cookie73 said:

I realized that your thoughts on Laura are basically my thoughts on Sheer Element, and vice versa (including approximate rankings of their blinds)

Same with Walker and Kason, since I preferred Kason in Blinds but Walker in the battle

OOoh, interesting observation haha

7 hours ago, nytsch said:

Tbf, I thought the winners of 19-17 were not that bad or even pretty good, but the losers not as much and the whole thing just didn’t really work that well. Neil sounded great in his montage although I’d have to hear more to know if it was my actual favorite of the episode (competing with NOIVAS/Ray).

Ahhh I see!! 

7 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Do they? - Kate/Tiana (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)

Were you? Holly/Katie Beth (Lady Like)???

Do you? NariYella/Chloe (I Want You Around)

Did you? Ray/NOIVAS (Jealous Guy)

Is that so? Jerome/Talia (Like I Can)

Interested GIF by reactionseditor