Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

can u believe amy adams star of hillbilly elegy is in this top 4? it's so egregious. i mean her highs are really high. but she's had a lot of bombs.

can u believe viola davis, willing participant in both suicide squad and black adam is in this top 5? i mean i know her highs are really high, but can we really overlook those bombs.

look i know that toni collette was in hereditary but her lows include birthmarked and the estate so can she really be in the top 5?

olivia coleman, should we really be letting the star of pudsey the dog: the movie be in this top 5?

congrats to their fans tho for getting them this far.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

can u believe amy adams star of hillbilly elegy is in this top 4? it's so egregious. i mean her highs are really high. but she's had a lot of bombs.

can u believe viola davis, willing participant in both suicide squad and black adam is in this top 5? i mean i know her highs are really high, but can we really overlook those bombs.

look i know that toni collette was in hereditary but her lows include birthmarked and the estate so can she really be in the top 5?

olivia coleman, should we really be letting the star of pudsey the dog: the movie be in this top 5?

congrats to their fans tho for getting them this far.

giphy.gif

4. TONI COLLETTE

140530-leon-toni-tease_y0nwws

xA7AYXp.gif

ALEX: 1

DEREK: 3

TOM: 3

CHRIS: 7

REI: 14

ANDY: 16

ALEX

Toni Collette was my goal in this game for some reason. I think she is the ultimate unsung hero of film and television. I tried to keep my Toni love hidden as much as I could. Rei was the only one seemingly targeting her so I did make a deal with him to protect her a few times. I almost had to abandon my Kathryn Hahn mission when the two of them were nominating together in the final cycle. But luckily Tom saved her so I got to keep my love for Toni a secret, and continue my Kathryn Hahn mission. All that to say, Toni Collette gets my number one ranking in this game since Emma Stone and JLaw aren't here.

Toni Collette is like the ultimate chameleon. Horror, Rom-com, dramedy. You throw whatever you want at Toni, and she will blow you away. Toni's breakthrough role came in 1994 for Muriel's Wedding. She got to show off so many sides to herself in this role and how effortlessly she can balance comedy and drama. From then on she has been working consistently. She earned her first, and so far only, Oscar nomination in 1999 for her work in The Sixth Sense. I talked about it a bit in the 1999 film game, but Toni's performance honestly makes the movie for me. This isn't a ghost story, it's a love story between a mother and her son. The climactic scene when Haley Joel Osment confesses to his mother what is happening and she processes her own trauma along with what her son was revealing to her...whew! Just a masterpiece of a performance.

She should have so many more nominations than just The Sixth Sense though. Everyone talks about Hereditary, and I mean how can you not. I'm not a big horror guy, but Toni Collette makes that movie for me and it's just one of the most dominant displays of acting in the history of film. She also should've been nominated for Little Miss Sunshine which is just a delightful movie all around and she is so perfect in. Toni Collette is the MVP of so many movies for me. Even if I'm not crazy about the film, there's little things Toni brings to them that makes them stand out to me and completely fall for her. Knives Out is a small role, but she truly makes the most of it (and delivers the most memorable line of "I read a tweet about a New Yorker article about you"). About a Boy hasn't stuck with me that much, but I know her performance in it broke my heart. Same with The Way, Way Back. The one scene I remember the most about this movie is the ending when she jumps in the back seat of the car to be with her son. Collette doesn't say a word, but her facial expression says it all. So she manages to steal the entire movie for me in the very last minute with no dialogue.

And luckily for me, she also has her television work! As a defender of television, I couldn't rank someone at number one who doesn't have a good television career. Toni Collette won an Emmy for her work on United States of Tara which was pretty much Toni Collette showing off all her range as an actress. Playing a character with multiple personality disorder, there wasn't a second across the three seasons of the show where Collette wasn't showing off why she's one of the greatest working actresses. She also does fantastic work in the miniseries' Unbelievable and The Staircase, both of which earned her Emmy nominations. The Staircase specifically just came out last year but immediately jumped to the top of the list of my favorite Collette performances. The physicality of the performance! She had to recreate her characters death scenes multiple times utilizing different theories. She was the star of the show and gave my favorite performance on television the past year. No shade to Seyfried, but I was definitely rooting for Collette at the Emmys.

I have no idea how Collette will do in this ranking. I'm hoping for a top 10 finish maybe. I don't think she'll have many tankings, but I'm not sure if she'll have much passion outside of me. That's neither here nor there. I'm glad she made it this far and I can defend why she is probably the most underrated living actress currently working.

DEREK

Queen of all genres! Give her any role and she will kill it. Her versatility is amazing, and the standard of quality that she maintains across every eclectic project is really impressive. She didn't win me that round during the game when I chose the Hereditary scene lol but that's okay, I still know that she is beloved and I expect her to either do well or be heavily targeted. Toni is one of those actresses for me that transforms so much into each role that I forget she was in a ton of movies lol. It's like... OH she was the mom in that movie?? OH she was the wife in that other movie?? She really disappears into the roles and that's part of what makes her such an outstanding actress to me.  SEVEN FILMS IN 2017??? What, did she need a down payment for a new house or something? That is too much lol

TOM

Australian acting queen! I didn't know she sang as well. Even though Toni Colette is not really known as a scream queen, she might as well be one for her outstanding performance as Annie in Hereditary as well as Cole's mother in The Sixth Sense. Other excellent performances by her include Little Miss Sunshine, true crime series The Staircase alongside Colin Firth, Nightmare Alley, I’m Thinking of Ending Things, United States of Tara, Knives Out and Unbelievable among others. About a Boy, The Way Way Back, and Muriel's Wedding are three other important roles she has done even though I hate AAB and haven't seen TWWB and MW yet. She is an amazing character actor and I'm hoping she does very well in this top 20.

CHRIS

8aef5037ee3c973a15250b9aaa7a67f88df048d9.gif

I truly believe that Toni Collette is the underdog in all of this, and she could possibly manage to secure a surprise / unexpected win ? If it is the case, I certainly wouldn't complain as I've always enjoyed Toni is whatever roles that she took on, whether it be comedy or drama on the big screen or the small screen.   Of course, many of us know her for her role in Little Miss Sunshine - which she absolutely nailed - but she was certainly active in the industry prior to that with appearing in films like Muriel's Wedding - her big break, About a Boy, The Hours, and In Her Shoes alongside Cameron Diaz which is one of my guilty pleasure of the 2000s.  But as mentioned, it's certainly Little Miss Sunshine that sent her into mainstream media but United States of Tara certainly helped her get her name out there - an excellent show where Toni absolutely shined.   She also appeared in Hereditary where she earned a lot of praises which was certainly earned, and she was certainly overlooked at the Oscars simply for being in an horror film - I, an individual who doesn't really enjoy horror, really enjoyed that film which in part was due to her portrayal.  Other films or shows of hers that I have enjoyed have been The Way, Way Back, Knives Out, and Unbelievable but I've also been meaning to watch The Staircase and The Estate... All of this to say that I don't think anyone dislike her nor will tank her score but I could be wrong so we shall see!

REI

Toni has had some incredible roles throughout her film career and while I wouldn't call her one of my favourite actresses, I still appreciate how incredible she has been in some of her roles. Her part on Hereditary was of course iconic and the fact that she didn't get an Oscar nomination that year was a crime. Not here for Lady Gaga and Melissa McCarthy getting noms that year while Toni was snubbed. Little Miss Sunshine, The Way Way Back, Enough Said, Hearts Beat Loud and Knives Out are some of the other films from Toni that I love.

ANDY

Of course Toni in Hereditary is a performance for the ages. I like how versatile she is. She really should have an Oscar by now.

STEVEN

I didn't expect Toni Collette to rank this high, but that's just because I didn't realize she had this much support in the game. I'm not too familiar with Toni Collette's filmography. I know her from The Sixth Sense, Little Miss Sunshine, and Knives Out. Her performance in Hereditary is one I've seen praised many times on this site, and I agree she should've gotten an Oscar nom for it. She does have an Emmy and Golden Globe for The United States of Tara, a show I haven't watched but I have heard about. There's no doubt Toni Collette is a very talented actress who is exceptional in any role she takes on from what I've seen. Kudos to her on a Top 4 finish in this game.

• Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (#4 Posted)