So You Think You Can Dance Season 17

Just re-watched the routines:

Top 12 Group - Jazz - Really fun, colourful routine. I really enjoyed it, and the bits with the judges were cool. Thiago, Carter, Anna and Essence were stars in it.

Alexis/Carter - Samba - Definitely Alexis's (and Carter's as well) best Latin this season, very well-danced and some really intereting moments in the choreography. However, at times it felt a bit more like a Ballroom competition routine? Maybe it was the song choice, which was kinda generic tbh

Keaton/Anna - Contemporary - Aww, that's really cute that Keaton got to dance on the finale with his girlfriend. I only found out about this yesterday and was really surprised. But they definitely had a great chemistry together and it was a beautiful routine. However, my least favourite out of all Keaton's contemporaries. Still really good though

Keaton/Lex - Hip-Hop - Ugh the costumes department really did not get it right with this one. I thought the choreography was really good and hard-hitting but the costumes kinda hid that. Poor Keaton, you could see he really wanted his first Hip-Hop on the show to be perfect but I guess the tiredness got to him and he missed one of the coolest moves in there. But he was still really good at hip-hop, he's just an all-around versatile dancer.

Alexis's solo - She just can do no wrong with her solos. All have been unique and exciting. That backflip at the end going into the split was amazing. :omg:

Keaton's solo - Can I just say I love his song choices for solos ❤️ So smooth. He's so light on his feet and makes all of the jumps and turns look so effortless.

Alexis/Jason - Contemporary - Omgaw, I already lost it during the video package when Alexis has dedicated this dance to her husband. 😭 This was stunning from the beginning to end. Not gonna lie, I was kinda confident that Keaton would win, but after watching this routine, I thought to myself that Alexis might have it in her bag now. Loved this. :wub:

Alexis/Keaton - Jazz - Aww I love how they saved their duet for last so that they could finish their journey together, so sweet. :wub: I actually really liked the concept and Brian's choreo, it had some exciting moments, but the fog was completely unecessary, it was hard to notice all of the moves. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

I thought this was a really good finale show, it felt really relaxed, and looked like a celebration of dance, with everyone having fun and enjoying their performances. Now let's hope there will indeed be another season, with a better format and more budget!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JC said:

Me thinking I can’t possibly be doing as bad as elliott.

*goes back to check*

My top fave has never won the US season either lol

Nico Archambault is the only one from the English speaking seasons that won :( I think

Wasn’t Jeanine your favourite?

1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

if we count internationally:

Canada: 0

Australia: 1

Benelux: 1 (if I count Els and Angelo being tied for me lol)

Poland: 1

UK: 0 (but aren't we all losers with the UK)

I didn't even think of SYTYCDUK. :lmao:I kinda erased it from my memory. :rofl:

LOL I'm curious how many of my favorites won but I don't even know anymore. :dead: 

*thinks* 

Season 5, 6 (at the time of the season. Now I don't know my fave of that season lol), 7, 17. So okay, that's 4 out of 17 for the U.S. seasons, at least. :haha: 

56 minutes ago, Erestor said:

Alexis/Keaton - Jazz - Aww I love how they saved their duet for last so that they could finish their journey together, so sweet. :wub: I actually really liked the concept and Brian's choreo, it had some exciting moments, but the fog was completely unecessary, it was hard to notice all of the moves. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

I thought this was a really good finale show, it felt really relaxed, and looked like a celebration of dance, with everyone having fun and enjoying their performances. Now let's hope there will indeed be another season, with a better format and more budget!

I agree about the fog.

Yes, the finale was a good show. I hope so, too.

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

Interesting observation! We noticed they really started to push that in the last few episodes (once Carter was gone, notably), but their video packages were all filmed at the time of the episode rather than afterward, so they probably just had her talk about it and then once she actually one, decided to make that the focal point of her confessionals in the broadcast episodes. :haha:

I think that's exactly what happened here -- once Alexis won, the confessionals were edited to focus on her being the first female ballroom girl to win.

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

Someone could have one favourite and be doing splendidly in comparison. :/

I have three favorites who won: Sabra from Season 3, Hannahlei and now Alexis.  And sadly for you, that's doing splendidly.  I do hope that your favorite wins next year.

I'm disappointed Keaton didn't win but I have to hand it to Alexis she truly was up there and one of the best female ballroom dancers to compete on SYTYCD imho. Placing second doesn't take away from his journey and now he joins other favorites of mine who were also runner-ups: Timor, Vincent D, and Charlie... tho if I went back and rewatched AU2 I bet Talia might outrank Charlie now... :ph34rwave: 

As for winners favorites, it's still only Jack and Nico, and it's been 14 years since their seasons aired. 😐 

• Like 1

Ashlee

Benji 👑

Lacey

Katee (well actually J*shua was my favorite back then 👑)
Kayla

Kathryn

Billy

Sasha

Witney

Jasmine

Ricky 👑

JJ

Jordan

Koine

Genessy now it's Darius

Benjamin

Alexis/Keaton

Vincent

Jayme Rae

Amanda

Melissa

Rhys

Kat

Jess

Jay

Ivan 👑

Angelo

Lise

Anna-Alicia

Kalila

Tamara

don't care 

8 hours ago, Elliott said:

Wasn’t Jeanine your favourite?

Jason glover

Looking through for fun:

1. Artem 

2. Ivan 

3. Neil (at the time, Lacey now)

4. Thayne (at the time, Mark now)

5. Jason

6. Jakob (at the time, Kathryn now)

7. Robert

8. Tadd (Nick was robbed)

9. Matthew K

10. Hayley? (At the time, now it’s probably Paul but don’t care much about the dancers on this season)

11. Teddy

12. Asaf

13. JT? (Paired with Robert obvs)

14. Kiki
15. Cole

16. Gino

17. Justice for Konnor I didn’t watch the live shows in protest 🙂 and also no one looked worth watching for #srynotsry

Looking at this elliott and I have a ton in common you’d think we would argue less but I guess when we disagree it’s extreme #ariesenergy

Jakob was the closest to winning and he’s not even my fave anymore lmao. My recent record is not going well I was at least close in the earlier seasons smh

CA

1. nico

2. Cody (at the time prob Melanie m now)

3. Mackenzie

4. Matthew m

AU

1. Graeme (Henry close second)

2. Penny 

3. Kieran at the time prob Ivy now

4. I think my fave was a girl at the time but now it’s Michael dameski bc unf he grew up!!!

UK

1. Chris piper robbed

2. B.Rose the only amazing thing to come out of the Brits

Edited by JC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, buffmetube said:

I'm disappointed Keaton didn't win but I have to hand it to Alexis she truly was up there and one of the best female ballroom dancers to compete on SYTYCD imho. Placing second doesn't take away from his journey and now he joins other favorites of mine who were also runner-ups: Timor, Vincent D, and Charlie... tho if I went back and rewatched AU2 I bet Talia might outrank Charlie now... :ph34rwave: 

As for winners favorites, it's still only Jack and Nico, and it's been 14 years since their seasons aired. 😐 

I love this song. :wub:

• Like 1

from the article:

The two-to-six days they had between each taping was rough, and it was dictated by the budget given to them this season. Roldan pointed out, “Yes, if we had any decision, we would never want them to dance that much, it’s shattering the bodies, but we can’t do anything about it.”

He does believe that fans can do something about the disappointing elimination of home viewer voting — and that means writing, tweeting, and emailing to FOX to let them know how much that element was missed. The 32-year-old choreographer knew before that season even began how important it is to fans to have that interactive element and root for their favorite contestant. He even commented that it felt like “we're robbing America" of being able to help crown their favorite dancer.

https://www.insidedance.com/news-features/sytycdrobertroldanreflects

Edited by RTV

Gonna do mine for fun as well!

US1: Ashle (4th)
US2: Allison (8th)
US3: Lacey (4th)
US4: This has changed over time from Chelsie to Courtney and now I think it's Mark (6th)

US5: Kayla (4th)
US6: Kathryn (3rd)
US7: Lauren (Winner 👑)
US8: Caitlynn (6th)
US9: Audrey (10th)
US10: Amy (Winner 👑)

US11: Jessica (3rd), however Ricky is a close second

US12: Kate (Top 14) originally, but actually I think it's Gaby (Winner 👑) now
US13: Tate (3rd)
US14: Logan (6th)

US15: Genessy (3rd)
US16: Ezra (6th)
US17: Keaton (2nd)

AU1: Graeme (6th)
AU2: Talia (Winner 👑)
AU3: Jessica (10th)
AU4: Michael (Winner 👑)

CA1: Allie (2nd)
CA2: Tara-Jean (Winner 👑)
CA3: Nathalie (6th)
CA4: Lindsay (5th)

NL1: Ivan (Winner 👑)
NL2: Els (Winner 👑)
NL3: Natascha (4th)
NL4: Anna-Alicia (2nd)
NL5: Vivian (2nd)
NL6: Tamara (3rd)

LOL I didn't realize I did best on NL seasons.:rofl:

PL1-PL2: Don't even remember who my favourite was

PL3: Wiola (Winner 👑)
PL4: Eliza (8th)
PL5: Paulina (2nd)
PL6: Ania (4th)
PL7: Igor (4th)
PL8: Agata (6th)
PL9: Julia (10th)
PL Next Generation: Karolina (Winner 👑)

UK1: Mandy (6th)
UK2: let's not go there... I believe it was Stephanie who got the first or 2nd boot lol

So actually I got 10 out of around 40. Not as bad as I thought, lol.

Actually there's also the Portuguese season (holy crap I totally forgot about it, it was such a hot mess :wub:) and the Ukrainian seasons, but they are such a blurr to me and I can't even remember the contestants. :haha:

Some of these have changed from when I first watched the season. 

US1: Ashlé

US2: Was Allison, now it’s Natalie 

US3: Lacey

US4: Chelsie 

US5: Jeanine 👑

US6: Kathryn

US7: Lauren 👑

US8: Was Melanie 👑 , Now it’s Clarice

US9: Tiffany

US10: Makenzie

US11: Serge

US12: Jaja

US13: Tate

US14: Koine

US15: Magda

US16: Ezra

US17: Alexis 👑

CA1: Was Arassay, now it’s Allie

CA2: Was Tara-Jean 👑 , now it’s Jayme Rae 

CA3: Was Nathalie, now it’s Amanda 

CA4: Was Lindsay, now it’s Melissa

AU1: Kate

AU2: Talia 👑 

AU3: Carly

AU4: Was Ashleigh, now it’s Renelle

NL1: Annemiek

NL2: Els 👑 

NL3: Nartascha

NL4: Nina 👑 

NL5: Vivian

NL6: Tamara 

NL7: Melanie

PO3: Wiola 👑

PO4: Was Eliza, now it’s Anna 👑 

PO5: Paulina

PO6: Ania

PO7: Brian 👑 

PO8: Natalia

PO9: Klaudia

UK1: Mandy

UK2: Bethany Rose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

Some of these have changed from when I first watched the season. 

US2: Was Allison, now it’s Natalie 

US3: Lacey

US4: Chelsie 

US7: Lauren 👑

US8: Was Melanie 👑 , Now it’s Clarice

US9: Tiffany

US10: Makenzie

US11: Serge

US12: Jaja

US13: Tate

US15: Magda

US16: Ezra

US17: Alexis 👑

CA1: Was Arassay, now it’s Allie

CA2: Was Tara-Jean 👑 , now it’s Jayme Rae 

CA3: Was Nathalie, now it’s Amanda 

CA4: Was Lindsay, now it’s Melissa

AU1: Kate

AU3: Carly

AU4: Was Ashleigh, now it’s Renelle

NL1: Annemiek

NL2: Els 👑 

NL3: Nartascha

NL4: Nina 👑 

NL5: Vivian

NL7: Melanie

PO4: Was Eliza, now it’s Anna 👑 

PO5: Paulina

PO6: Ania

PO7: Brian 👑 

PO8: Natalia

PO9: Klaudia

UK1: Mandy

UK2: Bethany Rose

Now that’s some flawless taste. :wub:

When SYTYCD uses the tagline "America's favorite dancer" i think they generally have gotten it right. What America's favorite dancer means to me is who would PAY to see dance & meet on the tours the most. It's not a 100% measurement, but America's vote each week, crowd reactions, & judges "going crazy" reactions are all we've got.

Who was ACTUALLY America's favorite dancer based on this:

S1- Nick L. - right

S2- Benji - right

S3- questionable, i feel Laci was most popular **

S4- Joshua - right

S5- Jeanine- right (peaked at the right time)

S6- questionable - i feel Jacob was most popular **

S7- toss up- Kent/Lauren toss up (Lauren peaked later, Kent peaked early)

S8- Melanie- right

S9- ? girls side hard to tell, boys side questionable- i feel it was Cyrus*

S10- Amy + Fikshun - right

S11- Ricky U.- right

S12- toss up Jaja/Gaby

S13- ? i only saw auditions & academy online

S14- Lex- right

S15- Hannahlei- right

S16- Bailey- right

S17- ?, the public couldn't vote, crowd reaction seem even *

Edited by nigelsimon

US2: Benji 👑

US3: Pasha

US4: Courtney

US7: Adechike

US8: Sasha

US9: Chehon 👑

US10: Jenna

US11: Ricky 👑

US12: Megz

US15: Hannahlei 👑

US17: Essence

CA1: Vincent

CA2: Jayme Rae 

CA3: Amanda 

CA4: Denitsa

AU1: Rhys

AU3: Jessie

AU4: Blonde

NL1: Timor

NL2: Els/Angelo 👑 

NL3: Lise

NL4: Anna-Alicia

NL5: Kalila

NL7: Morgane

PO4: Julia

PO5: Kuba 👑

PO6: Michal

UK1: Lizzie

UK2: Israel

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nigelsimon said:

Who was ACTUALLY America's favorite dancer based on this:

S3- wrong, i think Laci was most popular **

S6- wrong - i think Jacob was most popular **

S9- ? girls side hard to tell, boys side wrong- i think it was Cyrus*

i mean. if you are trying to guess "sytycd voting america's favorite dancer" well then the show has shown you who it is by the end of each season so i don't think you can ever say it's "wrong" since we don't see the voting totals all season long. like for example in season three Lacey never hit the bottom but Sabra only hit the bottom for the first week. For all we know after that Sabra doubled all of Lacey's votes.

In season 6 the only time Russell was in the Bottom 4 was in week 1 when the judges chose the bottom and his partner was out with injury. Equally Jakob was never voted into the bottom either. So again, it's impossible to say whether or not Jakob was more popular, but we know from the year before that another black male hip-hop dancer won the season (and was runner-up) so it's far from unfeasible that 15 months later Russell would run away with the competition.

In season 9 I guess you could make the argument that it got "America's Favorite Dancer" wrong in both accounts since Cyrus and Tiffany never hit the bottom but again you don't know if the last three weeks of the competition where Chehon hit the bottom 4 at Top 10 if that was enough to rally all his voters (and more) from Top 8 onward to win. Same with Eliana who was competing against Tiffany. But we don't know that head to head that Eliana siphoned up the ballroom votes of Lindsay and Witney.

12 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

i mean. if you are trying to guess "sytycd voting america's favorite dancer" well then the show has shown you who it is by the end of each season so i don't think you can ever say it's "wrong" since we don't see the voting totals all season long.

I also took account the crowd reactions. The screams were noticeably louder throughout the season for Laci & Jacob. The teen/tween girls screaming buy tickets to see the live tour so i can't discount that. However, w/ all that being said, you have a point so i'll change WRONG to "questionable"