So You Think You Can Dance Season 17

3 hours ago, nigelsimon said:

I also took account the crowd reactions. The screams were noticeably louder throughout the season for Laci & Jacob.

The teen/tween girls screaming buy tickets to see the live tour so i can't discount that.

There were no Laci or Jacob in either of those seasons.

By these metrics, when I saw the S9 tour, Chehon was far more popular than Cyrus was with the audience.

15 minutes ago, Elliott said:

There were no Laci or Jacob in either of those seasons.

By these metrics, when I saw the S9 tour, Chehon was far more popular than Cyrus was with the audience.

I'm talking about the live show (performance + result) crowd reactions in their respective seasons; Brief solo intro, before rehearsal footage, during performance, & time w/ judges. Lacey got consistently the loudest reactions i ever heard of any girl in any season

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, RTV said:

from the article:

The two-to-six days they had between each taping was rough, and it was dictated by the budget given to them this season. Roldan pointed out, “Yes, if we had any decision, we would never want them to dance that much, it’s shattering the bodies, but we can’t do anything about it.”

He does believe that fans can do something about the disappointing elimination of home viewer voting — and that means writing, tweeting, and emailing to FOX to let them know how much that element was missed. The 32-year-old choreographer knew before that season even began how important it is to fans to have that interactive element and root for their favorite contestant. He even commented that it felt like “we're robbing America" of being able to help crown their favorite dancer.

https://www.insidedance.com/news-features/sytycdrobertroldanreflects

Ooh. Interesting read. Thanks for sharing this.

It sounds like Robert was key in upping the quality this season DESPITE the format changes. Love that he was involved in bringing in new choreographers and All-Stars. I'm hoping next season they get back to normal, or at least as close to it as possible. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nigelsimon said:

I'm talking about the live show (performance + result) crowd reactions in their respective seasons; Brief solo intro, before rehearsal footage, during performance, & time w/ judges. Lacey got consistently the loudest reactions i ever heard of any girl in any season

wait, but your metric is who screams the most and who people would want to see on tour. It seems like screams during the actual tour fit squarely into your metric

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

wait, but your metric is who screams the most and who people would want to see on tour. It seems like screams during the actual tour fit squarely into your metric

Sure, it's a combination of everything including the public vote. I don't think many people would've been surprised if Lacey, Jakob, or Cyrus would have won their respective season. On the other hand many more were surprised that Sabre, Russell, & Chenon won

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, nigelsimon said:

Sure, it's a combination of everything including the public vote. I don't think many people would've been surprised if Lacey, Jakob, or Cyrus would have won their respective season. On the other hand many more were surprised that Sabre, Russell, & Chenon won

Lolololololol. Sabre and Chenon. My two favorite SYYTCD winners

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

No one in S10 got louder screams than the ones I let out after Run the World so Amy was the most surprising winner, clearly.

Jasmine was my mom’s favorite dancer and she is representative of the whole United States. So I agree with this.

I think we're just saying that you can't really quantify the correctness of a winner with the evidence available. It's all either biased, manipulatable, or subjective. The only thing objective is who got more votes.

Just say that you thought a winner was bad. We all have opinions on how much we liked the winners

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

I think we're just saying that you can't really quantify the correctness of a winner with the evidence available. It's all either biased, manipulatable, or subjective. The only thing objective is who got more votes.

Just say that you thought a winner was bad. We all have opinions on how much we liked the winners

I agree.  I've had lots of problems with America's vote on both this show and American Idol, and there were plenty of times that I thought that a winner was bad -- like last season of AI, but in the end it's still my opinion and eventually I have to move on.

From the very first week it was rather obvious who would (and should) be the final 2 contestants standing and similar to last season with Mariah/Bailey it ended up being the power couple of the season. While I had predicted Keaton to be the winner since on social media any posts involving him would receive more likes and reposts than those of any of the other contestants, obviously that would prove to be irrelevant as only the studio audience present on the night of the finale would determine the outcome.

Alexis smashed all her performances during the finale and has proven herself an incredibly polished and consistend dancer throughout the entire season she makes for a very deserving winner.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, RTV said:

from the article:

The two-to-six days they had between each taping was rough, and it was dictated by the budget given to them this season. Roldan pointed out, “Yes, if we had any decision, we would never want them to dance that much, it’s shattering the bodies, but we can’t do anything about it.”

He does believe that fans can do something about the disappointing elimination of home viewer voting — and that means writing, tweeting, and emailing to FOX to let them know how much that element was missed. The 32-year-old choreographer knew before that season even began how important it is to fans to have that interactive element and root for their favorite contestant. He even commented that it felt like “we're robbing America" of being able to help crown their favorite dancer.

https://www.insidedance.com/news-features/sytycdrobertroldanreflects

So it does seem like it was a conscious decision to bring in All-Stars that have not been invited back (as much) compared to other seasons. After all it has been more than 13 years since we last saw Jason Glover officially dance on the SYTYCD stage. Robert Green for the first time, Audrey Case after she has only helped out as a replacement in Season 14 and Amy Yakima for the second time after many, many years.

Also, looking back on how many of my favorites won:

US1: Artem Chigvintsev

US2: Benji Schwimmer (Winner) 👑 

US3: Lacey Schwimmer

US4: Joshua Allen (Winner) 👑 

US5: Brandon Bryant

US6: Kathry McCormick

US7: Lauren Froderman (Winner) 👑 

US8: Tadd Gadduang

US9: Cole Horibe

US10: Paul Karmiryan

US11: Zack Everhart

US12: Yorelis Apolinario

US13: Ruby Castro

US14: Koine Iwasaki

US15: Hannahlei Cabanilla (Winner) 👑 

US16: Bailey Muñoz (Winner) 👑 

US17: Keaton Kermode

CA1: Danny Arbour (Top 10)

CA2: Melanie Mah (Top 6)

CA3: Denys Drozdyuk (Winner) 👑 

CA4: Christian Millette (Top 4)

AU1: Rhys Bobridge (Runner-Up) 

AU2: Talia Fowler (Winner) 👑 

AU3: Phillipe Witana (4th)

AU4: Michael Dameski (Winner) 👑 

NL1: Timor Steffens (Runner-Up) 

NL2: Els Smekens (Winner) 👑 

NL3: Lise Alexander (3rd)

NL4: Anna-Alicia Sklias (Runner-Up)

NL5: Kalila Hermant (3rd)

NL6: Tamara Arruti (3rd)

NL7: Melanie Koster (Top 8 )

PO1: Anna Bosak (Winner)👑 

PO2: Kryspin Hermański (3rd)

PO3: Marcin Mroziński (3rd)

PO4: Julia Żytko (Top 4)

PO5: Anna Andrzejewska (Top 6)

PO6: Michał Maciejewski (Top 6)

PO7: Magdalena Zwierzyńska  (Top 4)

PO8: Agata Stachowiak  (Top 6)

PO9: Michał Kalcowski (Top 6)

UK1: Tommy Franzén (Runner-Up)

UK2: Matt Flint (Winner) 👑 

UA1: Alexandr Ostanin (Winner) 👑 

UA2: Ilona Gvozdeva (Top 6)

UA3: Lena Pul (Top 8 )

UA4: Vasily Kozar (Winner)  👑 

UA All-Star Season: Mariam Turkmenbaeva (Winner)  👑 

UA5: Svetlana Kambur (Top 8 )

UA6: Alisa Dotsenko (Top 6)

UA7: Ilya Padzina (Top 6)

UA8: Marina Mazepa

UA9: Bogdan Urkhov  (Top 4)

VN1: Lâm Vinh Hải (Winner)  👑 

VN2: Hoàng Mỹ An (Runner-Up) 

VN3: Nguyễn Tấn Huy (Top 10)

VN4: Lê Hữu Phước (Top 4)

VN5:  Cao Thị Minh Phượng (Runner-Up)

PT1: Marco Ferreira (Winner)  👑 

PT2: Liliana Garcia (Winner) 👑 

GR3: Oleksandr Bakharyev (Top 10)

CN1: Tang Shi Yi (Runner-Up)

AM2: Paul Karmiryan (Winner) 👑 

IN1: Sneha Singh (Top 10)

FN1: Sam Vaherlehto (Top 4)

FN2: Haza Hajipoori (Winner) 👑 

KZ1: Karina Sinthallat (Top 4)

KZ2: Yernur Karykbol

DE1: Yasemin Celikkan (Top 4)

ZA3: Charlston Van Rooyen (Runner-Up)

Overall 19 out of 70, that’s more than a fourth of all winners. not too shabby of a track record.

Edited by zyanazur

One thing that I have been wondering is what Keaton/Anna’s piece by Talia Favia is actually about. They didn’t talk about the backstory in the rehearsal at all and focused entirely on the couple reveal.

Ironically, the theme of the routine is very much the opposite of being a lovey-dovey romantic relationship (that would be Alexis/Jason’s piece for that night).

Instead it seems to tell a similar story to Keaton’s routine with Audrey last week. However, this time around there’s nothing grandiose about it, no romantized scenario about the handsome male protagonist winning his ex-lover back through the power of dance. 

This version of the story from the woman’s point of view focusses on the many little elements that lead to the breakup, the accusations, the finger pointing, the revulsion Anna feels as she, even in her near-paralyzed state on the ground tries to wean herself away from him, her giving in by reaching for his outstretched hand that seems to signify a will for reconciliation from Keaton’s side, only for him to recklessly throw her away with no second thought right afterwards. Was it out of malice? Or rather just another thoughtless action deepening the rift between them? It’s very telling how Anna seems to mistake Keaton’s hand reaching out for her after that as a violent strike that she tries to protect herself from. The trust between them has been eroded.

In the end Keaton ends up with Anna as he did with Audrey, but this time it doesn’t feel like a happy end, this end state looks fragile and might even represent failure as Anna did not succeed in “staying away”. 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:29 PM, zyanazur said:

One thing that I have been wondering is what Keaton/Anna’s piece by Talia Favia is actually about. They didn’t talk about the backstory in the rehearsal at all and focused entirely on the couple reveal.

idk what it was about but using a MUNA song for a heterosexual couple is a crime against me personally

On 8/15/2022 at 10:24 PM, zyanazur said:

So it does seem like it was a conscious decision to bring in All-Stars that have not been invited back (as much) compared to other seasons. After all it has been more than 13 years since we last saw Jason Glover officially dance on the SYTYCD stage. Robert Green for the first time, Audrey Case after she has only helped out as a replacement in Season 14 and Amy Yakima for the second time after many, many years.

Bring back Jeanine Mason, you cowards! (!)

• Like 1

Not that the dust has settled on the season, I actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. Some of it may have been happiness the show was finally back, but I still think - given the restrictions they faced - it was a decent season. It’s the first season where I had actually rooted for the winner (even if they weren’t my #1) since… probably Eliana, actually. (Though I liked Gaby, but I was very much focused on Hailee and Jaja.)

The studio audience voting didn’t bother me TOO much. I tended to agree more often than not, though I would’ve had Thiago and Lord Finn last longer than they did. But the Top 3 and the Top 2 were the right picks. If they keep it next season and don’t give us live shows, I’d prefer the shows being taped closer to when they air - like I said earlier, unless someone had been to every taping, it’s  very possible the finale was only the fourth time they were seeing Alexis and Keaton perform.

And idk if it’s an unpopular opinion, but I kind of dug the head-to-head battle format. I would just move it to the Top 8, with the “loser” of each battle making up the B4 before we get our two eliminees.

I actually tended to like that the shows were only an hour because it made it easier to catch up on when I kissed some of the earlier episodes and it would cut out a lot of the filler. However, the severe lack of hip-hop as a result wasn’t cool.

• Like 2