Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Final Destination 3 (2006)

Image showing Wendy and Kevin along with the rest of the survivors on the Devil's Flight roller coaster as it is performing an upside down loop looking at the camera and screaming.

Final Destination 1 and 2 are still in this game, but we've cleared out the rest from this franchise and it's time for the third one to go as well. As everyone knows, these movies start with a character having a premonition about a huge [gory] accident where lots of people die. Here, as the poster suggests, the accident involves a roller coaster malfunction. Because of the premonition, the character is able to avoid the accident and save some others from death. But as a consequence, Death follows them anyway and the cast all eventually get killed in outrageous, creative, and extremely gory ways because you cannot escape Death. All the films have their own iconic death scenes, and I think it's safe to say that the iconic scene in this movie is when 2 girls get accidentally locked in their tanning beds and are violently roasted to death. Notably, queen Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in this movie, joining yet another iconic horror franchise because I think her bucket-list involves being in every single horror franchise ever made. 

Save X2

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Posted)

FREDDY VS. JASON (2003)

MV5BODNlNWVjOTMtZjVjYy00MzRjLTg2MmQtNTM3MWVmZjFjYzgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I haven't seen any of the films these two horror villains originated from, but I do know of Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees and how they are iconic movie villains. The plot of Freddy vs. Jason focuses on Freddy Krueger resurrecting Jason Voorhees. Freddy's terror on the townspeople no longer has the effect it once had, so his powers have diminished. He believes bringing back Jason will reignite fear, which will also bring back his powers. However, the two villains square off after Jason is not willing to be controlled by Freddy. Bringing these two together in a film seems like a cool idea, and I'm sure horror fans were excited to see how this film played out. Well, after reading the reviews, I guess this film ended up being a disappointment. Freddy vs. Jason has a 41% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Fans of the two horror franchises will enjoy this showdown. But for everyone else, it's the same old slice and dice." 

Saving Fantasia 2000.

e782975661017488a104d408da9231219633af08

• Like 2

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Walk_hard_poster_07.jpg

I haven't seen Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story before but it seems like a film that woud be interesting to write about plus it has the most words!  Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is a American comedy film directed by Jake Kasdan, written by Kasdan and co-producer Judd Apatow. Released in 2007, it stars John C. Reilly, Jenna Fischer, Tim Meadows and Kristen Wiig. Apparently it's a parody of the biopic genre and is the story of a fictional early rock and roll star (played by John C. Reilly) but Dewey Cox is not a real person. It primarily references the lives of Ray Charles and Johnny Cash (using the Ray and Walk the Line biopics, respectively), but the includes elements of the lives and careers of Roy Orbison, Glen Campbell, Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, Donovan, John Lennon, James Brown, Jim Morrison, Conway Twitty, Neil Diamond, Hank Williams, and Brian Wilson as well. It has a 74% RT approval rating and sounds like it would be an interesting watch, but out it goes from the rankdown now. 

Save: Saw

• Sad 1

Saw_2_film_logo.png

tumblr_lwgk1fptfx1r0gzq0o1_500.gif

Apologies to Saw II for cutting said movie, but I simply couldn't bring myself to cut the other three movies - I've seen two of them, and they all have higher approval rating than Saw II & therefore a fairly easy cut.  As we all know, Saw II is a horror film that is the sequel to Saw & it was released a year after the first instalment of the series was released.  The film follows a group of ex-convicts who them is trapped by the Jigsaw Killer - although I've never seen the movie, I am familiar with the name and how said villain look like. Anyway, inside the house, the group is forced to pass some tests to retrieve the antidote from a nerve agent that will kill them in two hours. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of horror movies but the premise actually feel like something I could enjoy considering that I've watched some series with a similar premises. Anyway, with a good fanbase, the movie was a box-office success like other horror films.  Overall, I think this is a movie that people either hate or love considering its approval rating of 37% on our favourite site, RottenTomatoes.

SAVING: THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM

The Sea Inside

image-w1280.jpg?1546851616

The Sea Inside is based on the true story of Ramón Sampedro who became a quadriplegic after a diving accident and became an advocate for euthanasia. I actually studied euthanasia pretty intently for one of my courses in college and I am very pro-euthanasia. Because of that, I would be interested in seeing this movie. Unfortunately I haven't and I like Big Fish. This movie won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film. It stars Javier Bardem, who as we all know is a fantastic actor and I'm sure he gives a great performance. The trailer seems very dark and dreary, which makes sense based on the subject matter. He is able to reflect on his life with his family and friends while campaigning to make positive change in the world. It must be scary to feel that hopeless while also doing so much. Anyways, anyone who wanted to save it had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Save Big Fish

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Next)

Eugene Levy Reaction GIF by TIFF

Glad to see Elliott being active again but maybe not so much after this set of nominations… Might have preferred the randomizer over this set of nominations.  All of said nominated movies have been praised to a degree, and this is including Best in Show which I am cutting from the rankdown.     Onto Best in Show, it was released in 2000 and it considers to be a mockumentary that’s been written by Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy. And per the tile, it follows participants at a dog show, and it’s been well received by critics and audience a like. Unfortunately, I haven’t really seen the movie so made it easy for me to cut it especially when they’re up against movies I like or I’ve seen.

SAVING : BARBARIAN INVASIONS 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Posted)

IRIS (2001)

MV5BNTM1MDQwNmEtZDgzMS00YTdmLWI0MjEtOTJlMDE4ZmU2ZGEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Based on the 1999 memoir Elegy for Iris, the film Iris details novelist Iris Murdoch's relationship with her husband John Bayley. Kate Winslet portrays Murdoch during the early years of her relationship with Bayley. Judi Dench portrays her in her later years when Murdoch was suffering from Alzheimer's disease. After watching the trailer on YouTube, the film does seem to focus more on the relationship than Murdoch's career as a novelist. I can't say this is a movie I'm interested in watching. I'm sure Kate Winslet and Judi Dench are great in their roles though. They were nominated for their performances at the Academy Awards. Jim Broadbent (who plays Bayley) was nominated too, and he won Best Supporting Actor. As for what the critics thought, Iris received a 79% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "A solidly constructed drama, Iris is greatly elevated by the strength of its four lead performances."

Saving Enchanted.

giphy-32.gif?auto=compress&fm=gif&ixlib=php-3.3.1

• Sad 1