Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Me Without You (2001)

Me Without You poster.jpg

Michelle Williams took the day off from Dawson's Creek to fake a British accent for this movie about two friends over the years. Anna Friel is the other friend. One of them sleeps with the other's brother, they go to university together and bang the same professor, the brother comes back around and complicates things, they hit on each others' boyfriends... tbh it sounds exhausting but Ebert liked it a lot so I might like it too. But instead I'm going to trust the Koreans again and save something else which appears to have a better chance of ending up on my watchlist one day.

Save Memories of Murder

• Haha 1

Twin Sisters

Film_poster_Twin_Sisters.jpg

Based on the novel The Twins by Tessa de Loo, Twin Sisters is a 2002 Dutch film which was directed by Ben Sombogaart. The screenplay was written by Dutch actress and writer Marieke van der Pol. Twin Sisters tells the story of twin German sisters (shocking) Lotte (played by Thekla Reuten) and Anna (played by Nadja Uhl), who are separated at six years old. After their parents' deaths, they are "divided" between distant relatives who are quarreling, with Lotte being raised in a loving middle-class intellectual family in Amsterdam, and Anna is raised in virtual servitude by a poor Catholic peasant family in a backward area of Germany. They try and meet after World war Ii, but this is thwarted when Lotte discovers that Anna's husband played a role in murdering her fiance. They finally meet again in old age. There are better war/drama films in this that appeal to me more, so out this film goes from the rankdown.

Saving: Signs

Swimming Pool

This cut is going to a film I have never heads of and based on a quick search it seems like it would not be a film I would be interested in watching or like if I am being honest based on the trailer which is posted above if anyone cares about this film.

It is a thriller film released in 2003. It stars Charlotte Rampling as Sarah Morton, Ludivine Sagnier as Julie, Charles Dance as John Bosload among others but those are the main characters according to Wikipedia. The film has a 83% "freshness" rating on Rotten Tomatoes so I guess some people like it but not my type of film.

Saving: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Edited by *Diana

THE MOTHER (2003)

MV5BMTM4Mzk4ODU1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkxOTUyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Mother is a drama about a recently widowed woman named May (played by Anne Reid) beginning an affair with a younger man named Darren (played by Daniel Craig). This is a complicated situation since he also happens to be the boyfriend of May's daughter Paula. But Darren is also still married to another woman. This sounds like a mess. So, Paula is waiting for Darren to finally leave his wife, but how will she react when she finds out he's also sleeping with her mother? Along with the affair, the movie also explores how a woman feels when she reaches a certain age and how people act like they no longer want her around. The movie ends with May grabbing a suitcase and passport, ready to start life again after feeling discarded by those around her. So, I have never heard of this film, and I can't say this sounds like something I'd be interested in watching. As for what the critics thought, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 78% approval rating. The consensus reads: "Reid gives a fearless, realistic performance in depicting an older woman's sexual blossoming."

Saving Whale Rider.

tumblr_pdbl21jwyl1rps32io1_400.gifv

unbreakable-523776dfe876b.png

tumblr_pln6kdnb2R1s9xw57o4_540.gif

A movie that involves surphero ? Of course, I shall cut it :giggle:... "Unbreakable" was released in 2000 and it considered to be a superhero film & it's also directed M. Night Shyamalan - I'm generally not a fan of his movies so this make this decision even easier to do.  The cast of the movie involves Bruce Williams, Samuel L. Jackson, and Robin Wright.  The movie is the first part in the series & it follows David Dunn who survives a train crash where he start having superhuman abilities & he has a complicated relationsgip with Elijah who manipulates David in order to understand him.  The movie has a huge cult following, and it is seen as one of Shyamalan's best movie as well as one of the best superhero film - unfortunately, I cannot confirm either of those assumption. 

SAVING : OSAMA

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

Die Another Day

Am a I huge Halle Berry fan? No. Also this movie was pretty bad so I think it is a fair cut well any of these nominations I could of justifiably cut because they are terrible. Nice work Steven for giving me pause on who to cut but decided on Die Another Day.  The film was released in 2002 and stars some of the most overrated actors of our time in Halle and actor Pierce Brosnan. So ya you can imagine. It only has 56% percent on rotten tomatoes so I am feeling good that some people see what I see about this movie.

Saving The Secret Life of Bees

The Painted Veil

Painted-veil-poster.jpg

Released in 2006 and directed by John Curran, The Painted Veil tells the story of a British medical doctor Walter Kane (played by Edward Norton) fighting a cholera epidemic in a small Chinese village, all the while being trapped at home in a loveless marriage to an unfaithful wife. The screenplay (written by Ron Nyswaner) is based on the 1925 novel, also called The Painted Veil, by W. Somerset Maugham. Looking at the cast list, it has Queen Diana Rigg in it, if in a minor role. I hate cutting a movie with her in it, so sorry queen, and it has a respectable 74% on RT, but this movie looked like the one I would like the least out of the presented options. 

Saving Crazy Heart, because I'm more likely to check this film out

LikablePoorAmurratsnake-max-1mb.gif LateMildAfricanrockpython-max-1mb.gif

Released in 2003, Calendar Girls is a comedy with an amazing cast that is compose of Helen Mirren, Julie Walters, Linda Bassett, Annette Crosbie, Celia Imrie and Penelope Wilton to name a few.  Inspired by a true story, the movie follows the life of a group of middle-aged women who are producing a nude calendar to raise money for cancer research after one of the women loses their husband to cancer. While consider to be a comedy, the movie is certainly able to pull on a bit of heartstring.  It might not be the best movie of all-time but it had found commercial success around the globe, and even seen as one of the British Comedy of the Year. All in all, I think this is an amazing spot for Calendar Girls especially since I almost nominated a few times, and I am sure that it was going to be cut one way or the other.

SAVING: IN HER SHOES

Before Night Falls (2000)

Before Night Falls poster.jpg

I haven't seen this but it's sending me mixed messages about whether I would want to. Biographical drama based on an autobiography and documentary?? Umm. But there's Javier Bardem's debut and he already gets nominated for Best Actor?? Hmm. Oh, it's a queer movie set in Cuba. But then the ending is a total bummer, as expected for this time period it's set in. Overall I would say that I would put this on my watch list. Okay, NOW MY son wanTS to play with the CAPS LOCK BECAUSE HE LIKEs hOW IT LIGHTS UP. USUALLY I'M NOT SUPER ACTIVE On idf at this tiME BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO GET THIS MONSTER IN BED BUT I DON'T WANT ANOTHER STRIKE FOR FORGETTING ABOUT THIS GAME. ANYWAY, THIS GOT JUST MILD REVIEWS SO I FEEL OKAY CUTTING IT NOW AND I'LL CONTINUE THE JOURNEY OF SAVING BUTTERFLY EFFECT AND SEE IF ELLIOTT LIKES SESSION 9 OR NOT

SAVE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

• Haha 1

THE KITE RUNNER

Didn't I cut this already? Idk. Anyway, The Kite Runner is a drama film from 2007 that was based off Khaled Hosseini's 2003 novel of the same name. The basis premise of the film follows Amir, a younger man from Kabul who feels guilty for abandoning his friend Hassan. The film utilizes real-life events as its backdrop, focusing primarily on the fall of Afghanistan's monarchy to the Soviet military's invention to the Taliban regime. Naturally, the film takes place in Afghanistan, but it was too dangerous for production to occur there; the film was shot in China as a result. The film was also delayed by six months because of a sex scene involving the younger actors???? Is that what I am reading???? The film ended up earning $73.2 million against its $20 million budget, and received positive reviews from critics.

SAVE: Session 9 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Next)