Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

@Elliott has Gone in 60 Seconds vs. Star Wars: The Clone Wars. However, I believe 24 hours is up so anyone can make the final cut.

I will be very inactive all weekend so feel free to move forward without my go ahead, y'all know the nominating order and the rules

GONE IN 60 SECONDS

Gone in 60 Seconds is an action adventure film from 2001 that stars Nicholas Cage and Angelina Jolie. I believe the film is a remake/reimiagining/reboot/re-whatever you call it of a 1960s-era film. The film's basic plot is that Nicholas Cage plays a former criminal/car thief who is called into action after his brother is kidnapped for a... drug deal gone wrong, I wanna say? Something shady like that. Anyway, the film did moderately well at the box office and on home video, but wasn't a critical hit. It's a Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay style film, so I'm sure you can guess what style the film is. Clearly nobody's in a rush to save or cut it since it's been like 12 hours since my time is up and I'm just now getting to this, lmao.

SAVE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana & Elliott's Noms Next)

last-chance-harvey-52f3ef8e407b6.png

3b550528d1942d3e3730983c67b3a77d.gif

There's some obvious saves - some of which I am sure Alex won't agree with - and some obvious cuts ; This movie, Last Chance Harvey, is an obvious cut although I've never seen it or heard of it until just now. It is a romantic movie that was released in 2008 and it stars Dustin Hoffman & Emma Thompson in the lead role - they are the two most recognizable name in the cast.  Essentially the storyline of the movie is that Dustin Hoffman's character is someone who just lost his job while in turmoil with his daughter as he is no longer the father of the bride. In the meantime, Emma Thompson's character works at the airport who doesn't believe in relationship. I think it's fair to assume that they will end up having an encounter, perhaps fall in love, and everything will be good in the end with his daugther - this is just an assumption as romantic movies are very predictable. Anyway, the critics loved this movie but unfortunately they aren't in this to save it. 

SAVING : CRAZY HEART

Edited by *Chris

MONSTER-IN-LAW (2005)

MV5BYTcwYjA1NGItM2YyYy00MmE4LTkxMzItYWNiZWRkNDFjNmE5L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Monster-In-Law is a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda. Other cast members include Michael Vartan, Adam Scott, and Wanda Sykes. The movie is about Jane Fonda's character Viola trying to sabotage her son Kevin's (Vartan) engagement to his new fiancé Charlie (Lopez). Viola had a public breakdown after losing her job as a talk show host. She tries to get better and be calmer, but the engagement turns out to be too much for her to handle. Viola tries to push Charlie away with crazy antics, even going so far and triggering a peanut allergy that could've killed Charlie. Charlie tries to fight back and stand up for herself, including drugging Viola. It's over-the-top behavior for the sake of a comedy film. Despite their actions, Viola and Charlie manage to make amends before Charlie and Kevin get married. This movie wasn't very well-received, which is too bad considering Jane Fonda and Jennifer Lopez were in the starring roles. The soon-to-be-wife not getting along with her future mother-in-law isn't a groundbreaking storyline, but the script here could've been better. If anyone enjoyed this film, then it's likely because of the performances of Fonda, Lopez, and Sykes. As for what the critics thought, Monster-In-Law has an 18% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch, that's even lower than I expected. The critical consensus reads: "While Jane Fonda steals the movie in her return to the screen, a tired script and flimsy performances make this borderline comedy fall flat."

Saving Erin Brockovich.

200.gif

Enemy at the Gates (2001)

Enemy at the gates ver2.jpg

This is a WWII movie. As you guys know by now, I will often tolerate war movies about WWI or WWII, but not any war movie that takes place in a desert. However, this isn't a particularly amazing WWII movie compared to some others, so it's a fair loss against the other noms. The movie poster lists the actors, but let's restate them to up the word count. Jude Law is the lead as Vasily Zaitsev. This film is specifically about the Battle of Stalingrad, which is then the Nazis tried to take over a Russian city and failed miserably. One of the deadliest battles of WWII and also ever in human history. The meme is to never battle Russia in the winter, and this battle proved it. Anyway, the history itself is a bit more compelling to me than the actual plot of the movie lol. 

Save Love & Basketball

Edited by FrogLenzen

A Single Man

giphy.gif

I have never seen or heard of this movie before, but based on the gif above I already have regrets. 🙈 Oh, well. A Single Man is a 2009 American period romantic drama film based on the 1964 novel of the same name by Christopher Isherwood. The film was the directional debut of Tom Form. Some of you may know Tom Ford as the fashion designer. The film stars Colin Firth as George Falconer, a depressed gay British university professor living in Southern California in 1962. Colin Firth was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal in this film. The movie also stars Julianne Moore and Nicholas Hoult. Double ouch.

Save: In The Loop

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Elliott's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Elliott's Noms Posted)

THE LONGEST YARD (2005)

MV5BMTc1NTQyNDk2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE2OTQzMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The Longest Yard is a remake of the 1974 film of the same name. It's a sports comedy film starring Adam Sandler. He's a former professional football player who gets arrested and sent to prison after drunk driving. While in prison he is recruited to coach the institution's football team, but then he ends up quarterbacking for said team. He also teams up with an ex-NFL coach (played by Burt Reynolds) who is also in prison. Not only do these inmates must come together to win a football game, but they also have to overcome the corrupt people within the prison trying to fix the game against them. Anyway, I recall my family rented this movie to watch once, but I don't really remember much of it. It's another Adam Sandler comedy, so I'm sure the audience knew what they were getting with this film. And apparently this movie isn't as good as the original (which happened to star Burt Reynolds in the leading role). As for what the critics thought, The Longest Yard has a 31% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "This Yard has some laughs but missing from this remake is the edginess of the original."

Saving It's Complicated.

john-krasinski-oh-my-god.gif

Night at the Museum

Why is Larry so annoying and so unlikable? Maybe it's just Ben Stiller..he is just terrible anyway I have seen this film more than once unfortunately and it just isn't it. I think it tries us to make us feel bad for the poor dad whose ex is trying to take his son away but I didn't really ever enjoy that Cliche. Must be the parent in me lol. Anyway Larry makes this movie unbearable so save yourself and your time and not watch this if you haven't seen it. It was released in 2006 and had a sequel film as well. The franchise is based on the fact that the Museum of Natural History has a curse which makes the animals and exhibits on display to come to life at night. Riveting.

Saving: Bolt

Edited by *Diana